Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah when i was posting all that I was having a load of trouble, but it turns out it was an issue with the old Game Companion app fighting with ENB.

Finally got my game ready for a new play through for this weekend. Should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The Enhanced Camera mod w/ the Weapon Animation Replacer compatibility patch is pretty great -

Also finally got my game to where I wanted it visually -

Got a pretty lean (for my standards) mod list right now of about 89 ESPs (107 total) which I plan to add TTW to. Just need to find a good tint remover mod that is compatible

Also, I've made two edits to two of my favorite plugins:

CCO Follower Tweaks.esm where I removed the "Fire your followers" startup message (because I got sick of seeing it every playthrough)

and

jsawyer.esp tweaked to A) disable (hide) the Intense Training perk since I'm a baby and don't like it, and B) disable the warning popup on first load (since I got sick of seeing it every playthrough)

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Which ENB are you using now? I'm using Rudy on my current playthrough and I like it better than the others I've tried (although I had to do some manual tweaking to the interior and exterior light curves to make it play nice with ILO and to make nights sufficiently dark, respectively).

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Enhanced Shaders, the one without the color changes. Everything else looks like rear end or requires a lighting preset/ILO which I was trying to avoid for this playthrough (specifically for TTW)

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

My problem with TTW is that the moods of New Vegas and Fallout 3 are very different from each other as far as the landscape and skies go, yet when picking weather overhaul mods you're going to be stuck usually with New Vegas weathers and lighting.

Going through the DC ruins with bright blue skies and bright, vivid colors feels really weird.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Eh, the merged version of Fellout looks good for TTW.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I played FO3 a bunch before FNV came out and I really liked it, but the few times I played FNV with TTW I was just unable to find much of interest to do in the Capitol Wasteland. Murdering everyone in Paradise Falls and that raider base in a canyon (with the Behemoth in a cage) and then the DLC is about all I can come up with.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

My problem with TTW is that the moods of New Vegas and Fallout 3 are very different from each other as far as the landscape and skies go, yet when picking weather overhaul mods you're going to be stuck usually with New Vegas weathers and lighting.

Going through the DC ruins with bright blue skies and bright, vivid colors feels really weird.

I use Vurt's Flora Overhaul for TTW, which brings the two back together, mood-wise. Of course it does this by basically changing everything about the way DC feels, but I always found the ludicrously overblown desolation of DC to be rather difficult to take seriously.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I've been using TTW along with VFO and a winter mod, which combined have really made Fallout 3 come together for me. Wandering through a half-ruined DC buried in snow and covered in trees is incredibly poignant, and makes the wandering around portion of FO3 (i.e, the good part) a hell of a lot of fun.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I like the forested DC versions which look really good.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Is there good documentation for the ENB settings in FNV? I've tweaked lots of them by trial and error, and by looking at specific advice from people making presets, but I have no idea where to find proper documentation to make arbitrary tweaks of my own.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Gyshall posted:

I like the forested DC versions which look really good.

It also makes it look a hell of a lot more realistic than DC being a useless wasteland 200 years after the war.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

I'd really like to see a Fallout game where people actually built things and tore down ruined buildngs instead of living in total squalor. Also they should have horses and bicycles.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Woolie Wool posted:

I'd really like to see a Fallout game where people actually built things and tore down ruined buildngs instead of living in total squalor. Also they should have horses and bicycles.

Even though there's some industry returning to the wastes by the time of NV, and obviously places like Vault City with what I seem to remember as pre-fabricated structures, most people aren't going to have access to properly produced wood, insulation, or other building materials unless they canibalize existing structures. And if you're going to be doing that anyway, why not simply re-purpose the structures and live in them?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Woolie Wool posted:

The first two games had that. The GECK was used to build Vault City from the ground up and Shady Sands was built fresh from adobe. The pre-war buildings were still mostly lovely and people made shantytowns, but they were actively doing constructions. Shady Sands, in particular, grows to pretty large size by Fallout 2. You even start seeing fresh paved roads.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The Marked Men in Lonesome Road live in cool cinder block teepees. Well, "live"

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

JawKnee posted:

Even though there's some industry returning to the wastes by the time of NV, and obviously places like Vault City with what I seem to remember as pre-fabricated structures, most people aren't going to have access to properly produced wood, insulation, or other building materials unless they canibalize existing structures. And if you're going to be doing that anyway, why not simply re-purpose the structures and live in them?

This doesn't really make sense to me. After hundreds of years those buildings would either be totally renovated or have collapsed. Plus I don't see why they don't have enough wood, there are plenty of forests in CA and turning those into wood is like stone-age technology.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Looks like I've found my new favorite assassin suit retexture.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Seashell Salesman posted:

After hundreds of years those buildings would either be totally renovated or have collapsed.

Doesn't appear to be the case unless all those (for example) houses near Freeside were renovated at some point (even if that doesn't make sense)

quote:

Plus I don't see why they don't have enough wood, there are plenty of forests in CA and turning those into wood is like stone-age technology.

Yeah, I'm not saying there isn't an abundance of wood, though I would hesitate to say that it's readily available - but sawmills? How about nails? Is anybody making this kind of poo poo out in the boonies, and away from established centers?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
What I want is Fallout: Motor City set in the ruins of the Detroit-Windsor area, with ridable (and armable :getin:) motorcycles. With a sidecar for your companion to shoot out of.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

JawKnee posted:

Doesn't appear to be the case unless all those (for example) houses near Freeside were renovated at some point (even if that doesn't make sense)
I'm not saying people don't appear to live in run-down deathtraps in the game, I'm saying it doesn't make any kind of sense that they do.

quote:

Yeah, I'm not saying there isn't an abundance of wood, though I would hesitate to say that it's readily available - but sawmills? How about nails? Is anybody making this kind of poo poo out in the boonies, and away from established centers?
I don't see why they couldn't make nails in isolated areas, nails are at latest a bronze-age invention. A motorized sawmill is an incredibly simple thing to rig up as long as you have a motor, sawing boards by hand doesn't even require a motor or fuel and people have been doing this for thousands of years.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Woolie Wool posted:

Hey Jim, you've lived in that house for 10 years now. Are you ever going to loving sweep the floor or something?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

JawKnee posted:

The same way people have always done it for most of history--in small artisan shops. The Industrial Revolution wasn't always a thing. Look at the way people lived in the 18th and early 19th century. 2281 should resemble 1781 more than 1961.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Woolie Wool posted:

The same way people have always done it for most of history--in small artisan shops. The Industrial Revolution wasn't always a thing. Look at the way people lived in the 18th and early 19th century. 2281 should resemble 1781 more than 1961.

That's a fair answer I suppose, although I'd wonder where they're gonna get the building materials in the Mojave, or would you expect shelters similar to the Native Americans'?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

They could trade for wood, especially with the NCR to the west. They could mine iron and other metals, or recycle it from pre-war junk (not as in simply salvaging garbage, but melting it down and making new metal objects). They could quarry stone and bake bricks. This is all Iron Age technology at most, and the Mojave clearly has far better technology than that considering the existence of things like Gun Runners, which manufactures new weapons.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Feb 8, 2015

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Horses are extinct I think. Really I think they are going too far forward with the timeline, it's been over 200 years, everything still looks like 20 years after the bombs fell. You can't say that people are just willing to sit on their rear end eating radroaches thinking,
:v:"Golly this is the good life! Let's never rebuild civilizations again!"

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
gently caress horses. I want to ride deathclaws.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Supeerme posted:

Horses are extinct I think. Really I think they are going too far forward with the timeline, it's been over 200 years, everything still looks like 20 years after the bombs fell. You can't say that people are just willing to sit on their rear end eating radroaches thinking,

That raises the question of why the domestic cow, a much dumber and slower animal, made it through only a second head the worse for wear.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Woolie Wool posted:

That raises the question of why the domestic cow, a much dumber and slower animal, made it through only a second head the worse for wear.

There's something like 12 billion+ cows in the world but only 59m horses in the world. Horse populations are a drop in the bucket compared to cow populations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Supeerme posted:

People don't consciously decide to build civilisations, it happens naturally as a result of communities becoming interconnected and a bunch of sociological stuff which is over my head. NCR grew in the West, there's any amount of tribes all over the place, Caesar literally did build a civilisation from scratch, there's enough New World stuff going on that I can forgive people keeping broken mirrors and old books in their houses tbh

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Naky posted:

There's something like 12 billion+ cows in the world but only 59m horses in the world. Horse populations are a drop in the bucket compared to cow populations.
He says, "All things pass, into the night"
And I say, "Oh no sir, I must say. you're wrong
I must disagree, oh no sir, I must say. you're wrong"
Won't you listen to me?

Goodbye horses

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

2house2fly posted:

People don't consciously decide to build civilisations, it happens naturally as a result of communities becoming interconnected and a bunch of sociological stuff which is over my head. NCR grew in the West, there's any amount of tribes all over the place, Caesar literally did build a civilisation from scratch, there's enough New World stuff going on that I can forgive people keeping broken mirrors and old books in their houses tbh

But that's exactly the reason they wouldn't keep broken mirrors and burned books in their houses.

Augustus
Oct 10, 2004

God damn it.

Zedd posted:

Sorry to bother you all again. I thought I finally had everything like how I wanted to, but now DarnifiedUI doesn't work any more on a recent fresh installation.
I use DarnifiedUI, Onehud, Project Nevada, and that one plugin that goes into the NVSE folder.

I replaced the font settings in the .ini file and stuff and followed these steps from http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/44757
1. Activate Darnified UI or any other UI overhaul mod such as MTUI.
2. Activate Project Nevada
3. Activate Mod Configuration Menu (MCM)
4. Activate all other HUD altering mods (see above list).
5. Activate One HUD (oHUD) *.

Doing this as soon as I activate MCM Project nevada starts working, and the restart after that everything breaks, If I do not follow these steps every BUT Darnified works.
I can live without darnified if somebody can point me to an easy way to make the default font and HUD less gigantic really.

If modifying fallout_default.ini didn't do it for you, track the other two .ini files down and modify them too.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

2house2fly posted:

Caesar's "civilization" is little more than a glorified band of raiders. He has the imagery of Ancient Rome, but none of the basis that it operated on. In terms of society and capability, imagine the Golden Horde with none of the Mongolian civilization to back it up. As ropekid said in the main thread (corroborating Arcade's dialogue), Caesar wants to treat invading New Vegas as his own crossing of the Rubicon and use that as his foothold to create New Rome.

Also, the NCR simply has to have industry and mining to operate. People often forget how many steps are required to produce even a single cartridge of ammunition from scratch.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Making a single cartridge is trivial, it's being able to reproduce that exact cartridge a million times with very small tolerances that's hard.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Augustus posted:

If modifying fallout_default.ini didn't do it for you, track the other two .ini files down and modify them too.
yeah I tried your and the other people 's suggestion and just went with 3-4 specific UI mods that technically are less clean/efficient but give me what I want. :3:

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Is the original post still relevant with all the neat new mods? I'd love to read through 500+ pages of discussion to find out if this is the case, but admittedly, that would take most of a day and I don't really wanna take most of a day.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Seashell Salesman posted:

Making a single cartridge is trivial, it's being able to reproduce that exact cartridge a million times with very small tolerances that's hard.

I'm talking being able to make one from scratch. Not scrapping pre-war stuff or post-war junk to melt down into brass and lead, but actually being able to manufacture it from the ground up. You need mines for all the requisite metals and chemicals like sulfur (potassium nitrate requires some medieval-era processing methods), chemistry knowledge and labs to make the primer compound, and machinery to turn all the raw materials into a casing, bullet, and primer and mate them all together. And unless you've got all the mines and factories and laboratories in the same village, you're going to need means to transport everything around that isn't backpacks and strapping bags to brahmin.

Calling it "trivial" is speaking from a modern perspective where the resources and tools needed are everywhere and cheap. To even begin production of cased ammunition requires infrastructure.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Perhaps there are still Horses, but they're restricted in movement to the middle states. Maybe in Wyoming or the Dakotas the horses run free...

Or maybe I'm projecting my desirable outcome for the Great Khans with the ending where they leave the Mojave and carve out a kingdom in Wyoming. Khans riding mutant horses across the flatlands!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I imagine that when the bombs went off every horse in the world got scared and died on the spot.