Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

If you guys ever wondered what killed off the Prince of Persia series (besides Assassin's Creed blowing the gently caress up) Nine Gear Crow, Blind Sally and friends are going through the last major release in the franchise and it's a really good watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lazyfire posted:

are going through the last major release in the franchise and it's a really good watch.

Why does nobody remember The Forgotten Sands. :negative:

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Because it was an utterly unremarkable cash in?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I thought the Wii one was nice but apparently no one played that version.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

HGH posted:

I thought the Wii one was nice but apparently no one played that version.

The Two Thrones remake/port? I played that; about 45 minutes out from the final boss, I came to some elevator puzzle and the box that I needed to lift up wouldn't stop phasing through the bottom of the elevator. It sucked.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
No no, the Forgotten Sands on Wii was a completely different game, whole other plot and gameplay.
I did play Two Thrones on Wii and finished the whole thing so eh, sucks if it was buggy. I never really ran into anything of the sort other than awful nunchuk segments.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Haha, I get it! "Why does nobody remember The Forgotten Sands?" I guess we all forgot!!!!$!$@ :v:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It was a triple pronged assault:

1. Prince of Persia 2008 kind of stepped on a few two many toes with its creative choices and soured people to the Prince of Persia franchise.
  2. Assassin's Creed started driving dumptrucks full of money to Yves Guillemot's front door, while PoP only showed up with the occasional F-150 full.
  3. The Prince of Persia move came out at literally the exact same time and had a similar look to Forgotten Sands, and because VIDEO GAME MOVIES SUCK :byodood:, well -- actually, no, they were both just kind of Meh.

And if there's one thing Ubisoft hates, it's their games just doing "...meh" on the market. Their games being poo poo, on the other hand, well... They're still trying to market Assassin's Creed Unity, that's all you need to know about that. (With all due apologies to Gimbal lock, who's an actual Ubisoft dev and a really cool guy who worked on PoP 08 and is posting in the LP thread).

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 25, 2015

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

nine-gear crow posted:

Prince of Persia 2008 kind of stepped on a few two many toes with its creative choices and soured people to the Prince of Persia franchise.

I want to personally track down and punch every single twat who complained about "not being able to die" in the game. PoP 2008 was utterly fantastic and I loving hate the fact that we'll never get a proper sequel. Hell, pc didn't even get the epilogue DLC which lessened the pain a little bit. :(

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Edmond Dantes posted:

I want to personally track down and punch every single twat who complained about "not being able to die" in the game.
Hey, the thread is full of us.
For an actual recommendation, more people should go watch berryjon's Cataclysm LP. This is the second Homeworld game and an amazingly atmospheric space opera RTS - if you ever thought strategy games and great storytelling don't mesh together, that's the thread for you.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Thing is, unless you play in ironman mode, what is the functional difference between being able to die in a game but loading from the last save and not being able to die and being returned to the beginning of the challenge that killed you (especially in a game where you can save wherever you like)? I know the feeling is different, but in terms of progress through the game, they're all but identical - the only real difference I can see is the lack of loading screens between screwing up and trying again.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.

anilEhilated posted:

Hey, the thread is full of us.
For an actual recommendation, more people should go watch berryjon's Cataclysm LP. This is the second Homeworld game and an amazingly atmospheric space opera RTS - if you ever thought strategy games and great storytelling don't mesh together, that's the thread for you.

Very seconded

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

I am not a gamer but I occasionally have LPs on in the background when I am working. Can you recommend a good LP of DEADLY PREMONITION? I know it is very long, so a condensed LP or riff would be ok if the full LPs are kind of dull. Looking for an LPer who kind of smart and witty and not scarecam or juvenile. Perhaps I'm asking too much? :shrug: Advice welcome!

E: Apologies if it has already been mentioned but I couldn't face scrolling all those pages to search for it...

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
supergreatfriend did an excellent LP of Deadly Premonition. It's not overly condensed or too much of a riff, but I'd say it fits the rest of your criteria pretty much exactly.

Edit: YouTube playlist, since the only links that work on the Archive are the download and Internet Archive links. Helps if I actually have the link in question, huh?

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 28, 2015

GauRocks
Jun 2, 2008

Onean posted:

supergreatfriend did an excellent LP of Deadly Premonition. It's not overly condensed or too much of a riff, but I'd say it fits the rest of your criteria pretty much exactly.

Edit: YouTube playlist, since the only links that work on the Archive are the download and Internet Archive links. Helps if I actually have the link in question, huh?

Three of the videos (8, 14, and 25) aren't on YouTube, so you'll need to grab those off the archive. There are 30 second placeholders in the playlist telling you to go to his website to download them, but since that just links you back to YouTube and the archives, I figured I'd mention it.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Thanks for the recommendations. :) I'll check them out.

E: Apart from some motion sickness, enjoying this a lot and can recommend it to others. :)

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 30, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

frozentreasure posted:

The Two Thrones remake/port? I played that; about 45 minutes out from the final boss, I came to some elevator puzzle and the box that I needed to lift up wouldn't stop phasing through the bottom of the elevator. It sucked.

The Wii Forgotten Sands is an entirely unrelated Prince of Persia, with a new plot and levels. ubisoft put the forgotten sands title on it because, i dunno, they didn't want it to sell? it's stupid.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Recently watched a good LP of Aerobiz Supersonic by some dude named "BoboTheVulture" on YouTube. Audio quality of some of it is a bit bunk, but he has a good grasp of the game, has a decent sense of humor, and occasionally adds some real life aviation knowledge.

Recently started watching his LP of Rogue Legacy, and the audio quality has gotten a lot better. I'm kind of surprised his stuff doesn't have more views/likes on YouTube. I like how he just plays the game w/o hamming it up or overusing catch-phrases and poo poo like that and it helps that he doesn't have some high-pitched or nasal voice.

Boscrossos
Apr 23, 2010
I recently got The Secret World from a friend, and while I love what I've seen so far (setting seems awesome), I fear I really don't have the spare time to do it justice. Any chance I could enjoy it vicariously though a good LP?

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
I've always been enamored with post-apoc, somewhat survival-type genres.. I've been way too into World War Z lately and that type of run-fight-survive as the world breaks down around you is an amazing motif. Is State of Decay one of these, even though it has zombies I won't discount those types but I'd prefer the whole post-apoc battle as the focus, instead of zombies.
Remember HomeFront and those game mechanics and that ever-present storyline? Junk like that, if anyone knows anything? :)

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Feb 3, 2015

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

Paradox Personified posted:

I've always been enamored with post-apoc, somewhat survival-type genres.. I've been way too into World War Z lately and that type of run-fight-survive as the world breaks down around you is an amazing motif. Is State of Decay one of these, even though it has zombies I won't discount those types but I'd prefer the whole post-apoc battle as the focus, instead of zombies.
Remember HomeFront and those game mechanics and that ever-present storyline? Junk like that, if anyone knows anything? :)

There's a couple of good Metro 2033 LPs on the archive site that sound like they're right up your alley. Both of them are subtitled with minimal commentary for maximum creepy atmosphere.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Paradox Personified posted:

Well, SoD is after everything has already broken down and is about setting up and managing a base, going out to gather resources and finding survivors to recruit. The zombies are incidental except for a few special types that will put the fear of god in you. It's a pretty neat game, charming and with a lot of atmosphere at times.

It has a storyline but it's nothing special, in fact the story is considered an extended tutorial for the Breakdown DLC, which has no storyline but you have a goal to find and fix up an RV to move on. When you 'move on', you restart the same map with a few of your survivors and supplies but everything gets harder. More zombies, tougher zombies, more special zombies, less loot, less vehicles to use. It gets drat hard after a few iterations, and the game really starts to shine when every supply run is an exercise in sphincter control.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Are there any good LPs of the original Half-Life around? Don't seem to be any on the archive.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Are there any good LPs of the original Half-Life around? Don't seem to be any on the archive.

Of course there are!*

*"Good" is subjective.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Of course there are!*

*"Good" is subjective.

I'm pretty sure he asked for the original half life, rather than half life 2...

Trizophenie
Mar 2, 2011

Jar Jar Binks improved my story.

hectorgrey posted:

I'm pretty sure he asked for the original half life, rather than half life 2...

Cybershell apologized for not noticing that he was playing the wrong game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_dIxDYi2Qs

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
Ah. That'll teach me to take the title at face value and not actually read the posts...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Are there any good LPs of the original Half-Life around?

Freeman's Mind.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I've been looking for foreign-language LPs recently, and just stumbled on something really odd... in that it has quality. http://youtu.be/ddNC0svxkds It's in a series of videos on a Spanish-language LP channel, talking about something game-design related, although I'm not pro enough to understand what -- and there seems to be a script, there's a lot of editing... In fact, there are even non-blind LPs on there... Frankly, an eerie experience. I have pretty much resigned to the fact that you can't find anything like that outside of SA.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The idea that everything not on SA is garbage is just elitism. Depending on your tolerance for things that the community here frowns on, there's a lot of high-quality work out there, but it's buried in popular-by-means-of-screaming-scarecam channels that Youtube promotes, because one percent of the channels should have fifty percent of the views. Smooth McGroove (often linked in LP threads here for his a capella covers of video game music) has just started an LP channel (link) complete with facecam, that uses editing and speed-ups judiciously, but also the silly captions to draw attention to funny things. You might find the face in the corner obnoxious, since it covers part of the game screen, but the playthroughs are fun, and it just isn't a Smooth McGroove video without his cat showing up at least once. Kay Plays (link) does the same level of editing for blind playthroughs, with no facecam. I happen to enjoy both, even though neither would last long on SA with their current styles. They're both playing the original Legend of Zelda right now, coincidentally, so you can compare them if you so choose.

I've said before that choosing not to be entertained by something just limits your options and decreases your overall quality of life. I watch plenty of things that aren't "objectively good" if such a concept exists, but I choose to have fun and enjoy them. Give stuff a chance and you'll be better for it. Granted, there's plenty of material here on the forum to keep anyone fully occupied, so if you want to insist on top quality, you can. But you don't have to.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
It also bears mentioning that by far not every SA LP is actually good and they still get watched and no poo poo at all because they don't do one of the things everybody has a knee-jerk reaction about. I personally don't like very many pure Youtube LPers, if I get the feeling it's more about their person than the game it seems more like a vlog with a video game to me, and to make those interesting to me you gotta be really entertaining.

There also are other LP Forums, by the way. A lot of them appear to be mainly Johnny McYoutube's promoting their channels but there's at least one that actually demands quality of its LPers (a little too much, one might argue) but most LPers from there, myself included, post their LPs here as well because there would be almost no thread interaction otherwise due to the lack of an audience. Somehow the LP Forum that costs ten bucks to join is the most biggest one. Mostly because it's not all there is to SA.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Was anyone even talking about that?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Richard Gamingo is my favourite SA LPer. He and Valkhorn were the true pinnacle of the craft.

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
i just lp the way i lp and if anyone likes it then thats pretty fuckin cool

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Blind Sally posted:

Richard Gamingo is my favourite SA LPer. He and Valkhorn were the true pinnacle of the craft.
What's up with Valkhorn anyway? I've only seen parts of his Ballance LP and it seemed okay. Not especially good but from the way people talk about him he seems like he's either a poo poo LPer or a poo poo guy.

flatluigi posted:

Was anyone even talking about that?

Scroll about three posts up from your last one and then start reading.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
And now for some actual recommendations!

Do you enjoy a good story to be told? Do you enjoy informative and humorous commentary? Then pull up a chair and take a gander at Bacter's current LP for 'Wolf Among Us': http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694972

Or you can't really go wrong with Mass' dippings into torment and rapture in his current LP's of 'Superman 64': http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688694 or 'Capt. Toad's Treasure Tracker': http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3698808

And finally, everyone enjoys some Legend of Zelda and there's quite a few options for LP's going on right now; whether it be Geop's LP of Windwaker HD: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3692371 or JordanKai's great informative LP of Skyward Sword: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3679992

All great options and actual recommendations ;)

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

IGgy IGsen posted:

What's up with Valkhorn anyway?

On a basic level, people probably didn't like him because of the number of LPs he did in a short amount of time, same with how people don't like Niggurath, despite it being a really petty excuse.

In my opinion, Valkhorn's LPs were usually pretty bland, due to picking games that have very little to talk about in general, and it seemed like he had an attitude of "always gotta be LPing something", which was a bit weird, but he seemed to be enjoying himself fine, so whatever. The annoying part is that he'd constantly make test posts asking for feedback, get feedback that was usually along the lines of "your audio quality is really bad" or "your commentary is boring", give a canned "thanks for your feedback", then post the thread a day or two later without changing anything.

After doing this a bunch, people started calling him out on wasting everyone's time asking for feedback and criticism yet always ignoring the main things people would bring up. Eventually he started a Kairo thread and was super defensive of any criticism in the OP and the thread was almost immediately gassed, and that was about the end of Valkhorn's time on SA, excluding the odd time or two that he'd pop out of the woodwork to explain how everyone in LP is an elitist poo poo and he doesn't have to put up with it (fair cop).

Niggurath posted:

And finally, everyone enjoys some Legend of Zelda and there's quite a few options for LP's going on right now

Also The StrawHatNO's LPs of WWHD and Ocarina of Time 3D (as well as their completed LP of Majora's Mask in the WWHD thread), if you want a more streamlined experience of both of the games than the blind LPs going on at the moment.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I don't like Valkhorn because he did a LP of Super Mario Bros. 3 and tried to make it informative, but got almost all of his information and history wrong. It's sort of impressive how much he was able to just lie through his teeth.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

IGgy IGsen posted:

What's up with Valkhorn anyway? I've only seen parts of his Ballance LP and it seemed okay. Not especially good but from the way people talk about him he seems like he's either a poo poo LPer or a poo poo guy.

I can't speak for anyone else, or if he's improved since then, but back when I checked him out his extremely low energy commentary went beyond relaxing to anesthetizing. I don't recall if the content of the commentary was boring as well or if his voice made even interesting things seem boring, but either way I never looked twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Valkhorn came in, put out a bunch of low effort LPs, and left when people stopped watching them because he refused to improve upon them. But hey, he made it clear his intent was just to get on what he perceived as the lofty and elite LPArchive, so I suppose he succeeded in that regard.

frozentreasure posted:

After doing this a bunch, people started calling him out on wasting everyone's time asking for feedback and criticism yet always ignoring the main things people would bring up. Eventually he started a Kairo thread and was super defensive of any criticism in the OP and the thread was almost immediately gassed, and that was about the end of Valkhorn's time on SA, excluding the odd time or two that he'd pop out of the woodwork to explain how everyone in LP is an elitist poo poo and he doesn't have to put up with it (fair cop).

Actually, he persevered through the Kairo LP, despite no one really watching it.

Sally fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Feb 8, 2015