Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

I bought a bigger house.

It needed some work.

So I built myself a den inside.

Then I starting making it cozy.

Cozy indeed.

So much more to do, but man, it's nice to chill the gently caress out in here and scream at video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Safetyland posted:

I bought a bigger house.

It needed some work.

Cozy indeed.

So much more to do, but man, it's nice to chill the gently caress out in here and scream at video games.

Great job dude! Please tell me that part of that "so much more to do" includes replacing/painting that door because that white clashes so hard with everything else. Also, did you intentionally make your basement into the architectural embodiment of pool/golf?

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Thanks! I'm pretty proud of it and wanted to share when perfect, but couldn't contain myself.

There is a pool table one room over and I have some golf clubs, but it's green and woody because it's manly and I have a small peni--

Things to do:
-Paint the door (what colour? I can't decide)
-Add a third monitor
-Bring a HOTAS back into my life
-Hang my recurve bow, my awards, antique barometer and some art
-Get some furniture (a chaise would be great)
-Build some shelves
-Upgrade that fireplace
-Get some blinds
-Drop a rug

-Accommodate the dog's wishes

-Ring the gently caress outta this

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Safetyland posted:

Thanks! I'm pretty proud of it and wanted to share when perfect, but couldn't contain myself.

There is a pool table one room over and I have some golf clubs, but it's green and woody because it's manly and I have a small peni--

Things to do:
-Add a third monitor
-Build some shelves
-Upgrade that fireplace
-Get some blinds
-Drop a rug

BOOSH:frogc00l:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Safetyland posted:

Things to do:
-Add a third monitor
-Build some shelves
-Upgrade that fireplace
-Get some blinds
-Drop a rug

Inside door, pool ball color, broad white diagonal stripe with ball number.

Boring as outside color

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
You need to teach the dog to ring the bell when his water bowl is empty. :3:

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Wasabi the J posted:

Inside door, pool ball color, broad white diagonal stripe with ball number.

Boring as outside color

That's a pretty baller option.

ratbert90 posted:

You need to teach the dog to ring the bell when his water bowl is empty. :3:

I need to teach him to chew that antler instead of just dropping it on my goddamn foot.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Safetyland posted:

I bought a bigger house.

It needed some work.

Cozy indeed.

Niiiiiice. Did you tape & float that yourself or is that wallpaper? What's the flooring?

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

Thanks for all of the nice comments.

Yeah it's all me, family and friends; for better or worse. If you get up close, you can pick things apart, but for my first time, I feel pretty good.

Beaded knotty pine on the ceiling and back wall, stained with minwax. Drywall done by myself because nobody wanted to touch it (including me, but...). Flooring is a Kaindl product. Would never buy again. It doesn't click together and literally stays intact by luck and pressure from the next piece inserted. I had to rip it up six times - four of those were when I was halfway done the room and the pieces no longer lined up because of gaps/angles. I could have killed. It's pretty though; has texture like it's weathered or natural.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Since there's a bunch of people here that specifically renovated rooms for their setups, any of you has experience with chalkboard paint? I'm looking for a very dark grey mat paint that's not entirely black. I came across that chalkboard paint and was wondering whether it becomes uniform when painted fresh or if there'll be inevitable clouds.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Since there's a bunch of people here that specifically renovated rooms for their setups, any of you has experience with chalkboard paint? I'm looking for a very dark grey mat paint that's not entirely black. I came across that chalkboard paint and was wondering whether it becomes uniform when painted fresh or if there'll be inevitable clouds.

I think it looks nice. I've never done it on a wall but I've done it on a 4foot by 3foot panel that I turned into a message board/keys/mail station for my kitchen. I considered doing an entire wall in it once my basement is finished. Even if it looked a little cloudy that's fine because it's chalkboard. It's an expensive paint if you only are looking for the color. There are plenty of matte paint colors like that which would be an alternative.

DadWilly
Jul 1, 2003

The previous owners did a wall in the basement for their kids. It seems to be on thick, but there are little pick marks/bubbles all over it where the original paint is peeking through. Maybe it needed another coat. We haven't done anything with it besides wipe it down, but it seems to be more or less consistent in the colouring. The pics are weird because of the lighting (we installed some jeweled ceiling mount light that kind of has a prism effect on the walls). It's not as splotchy as it looks here.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Safetyland posted:

The previous owners did a wall in the basement for their kids. It seems to be on thick, but there are little pick marks/bubbles all over it where the original paint is peeking through. Maybe it needed another coat. We haven't done anything with it besides wipe it down, but it seems to be more or less consistent in the colouring. The pics are weird because of the lighting (we installed some jeweled ceiling mount light that kind of has a prism effect on the walls). It's not as splotchy as it looks here.
Looks like one coat, yeah. I've painted a coat of something else yesterday and the old color shimmers through the same way as on the wider picture.

I'm currently renovating a spare room for photography purposes (store my gear and do macro setups). One wall was supposed to be some dark grey. I found a nice color, but it reflects too much light being too shiny. I've found chalkboard paint from a high quality brand that's actually not too expensive (+30% than the poo poo I've tried to slather on the wall right now). And it seems to be a neutral grey, too. And I'm sure I'll find a reason to chalk over it too.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Everything I've heard about chalkboard and whiteboard paint leads me to believe that- if you apply it well- it'll still only look really good for the first couple of weeks/months before use starts to aggressively show itself. I've considered both in the past and come away with the opinion that I'd rather just attach high quality chalkboard/whiteboard material to the wall than to use a paint compound.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Apple_tax.jpg

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

BiohazrD posted:

Apple_tax.jpg

I ain't gonna make fun of someone who just wants nice looking stuff and only wants to shop at one store for it. It's a bit sterile, though. A liberal sprinkling of cheeto dust will help with that.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

BiohazrD posted:

Apple_tax.jpg

the lamp doesn't belong at all.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

I ain't gonna make fun of someone who just wants nice looking stuff and only wants to shop at one store for it. It's a bit sterile, though. A liberal sprinkling of cheeto dust will help with that.

All out of Cheetos. Will plan grocery shopping accordingly.

benisntfunny posted:

My old desk was black, plus it was really more of a work bench lamp for when I was working on soldering. I don't use it frequently enough to give a poo poo.

Then again, I can have this for the low cost of $300.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

benisntfunny posted:

its not an iLamp

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

BiohazrD posted:

Then again, I can have this for the low cost of $300.

Nothing about that lamp is worth $300.

Not the name, not the design, style, or lighting with LEDs.

I think you should buy it for sure.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

benisntfunny posted:

Nothing about that lamp is worth $300.

Not the name, not the design, style, or lighting with LEDs.

I think you should buy it for sure.

:thejoke:

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
I was going to suggest an Anglepoise lamp!

.random
May 7, 2007

TL;DR: I have a question regarding layout (both physical and logical), rather than a picture of my desk itself. I wasn't sure where to ask such a thing, but perhaps the experts in usable design in this thread can assist?

Super Long:
I have 2 "isolated" laptops (isolated, so I can't use something convenient like Synergy software-based KVM) which I need to use for work. They have unusably small screens (12.5"? awesome), and they come and go with me on a regular basis, so I would need to remove/insert cables and such whenever they come and go. When I'm at home, I would like a layout where I can use the same mouse/keyboard for both and an independent monitor for each (so that I could have 1 "big screen" usable for each laptop at the same time... I currently only own 1 (24") monitor, but I plan to get 1 more).

This needs to fit in the same general space with my home computer. The home computer would probably use the same monitor(s) (because otherwise I would just have extra monitors sitting around being unused and that feels dirty) but not necessarily at the same time... though it could be a nice-to-have.

The present-day layout is basically unusable - I am hunched over the 12.5" laptops for much of the day and it's terrible for my posture (and eyes, I am sure).

"Logically" PRESENT DAY looks something like this below. ("Physically," the laptops are to the left and right of my keyboard)

To make matters more difficult, I have a SUPER FANCY 5?button mouse, which, based on research, I understand will be rendered a worthless 2+scroll mouse by a KVM, unless I want to drop $400+ on one which does "full" emulation. And since I need the "video" to remain separate (1 for each laptop), I wouldn't even be getting the real full advantage of a KVM anyway

Also of note, the laptops have VGA or DisplayPort out. The desktop uses DVI, DisplayPort, or HDMI, so I've considered using the other channels to manually switch between home and work when required..

In order to preserve the fancy mouse (but using manual monitor switching because I have no other ideas), the DYSTOPIAN FUTURE layout might look something like this? But it's awful.

Obviously, this is a giant mess and I am hoping someone can help because I am out of good ideas. (P.S., I have a decent amount of space and currently have a flat, uninteresting desk. I could conceivably get an L desk, but I don't see that as being of actual help here)

.random fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 12, 2015

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

.random posted:

TL;DR: I have a question regarding layout (both physical and logical), rather than a picture of my desk itself. I wasn't sure where to ask such a thing, but perhaps the experts in usable design in this thread can assist?

Have you looked at j5 Create Wormhole Switches?

.random
May 7, 2007

WorkingStiff posted:

Have you looked at j5 Create Wormhole Switches?

No! Cool looking stuff, though. At first glance, it looks like it probably violates the "isolation" I need to preserve, but it's probably very useful for several other situations I've come across in the past, so thanks!

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

.random posted:

Daisy-chain a couple KVM switches? KVM 1 controls whether the desktop or laptops are receiving inputs, and passes keyboard to KVM 2 with the simple mouse and determines which laptop is currently accepting inputs. You could pull it off with two 2-port switches, the DisplayPort ones seem to run about a hundred bucks each.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

.random posted:

No! Cool looking stuff, though. At first glance, it looks like it probably violates the "isolation" I need to preserve, but it's probably very useful for several other situations I've come across in the past, so thanks!

What is the spec for isolation you need? I use it for my work machine through a VPN on a Cisco ASA5550 Security Appliance and a personal machine on the local network. All programmed functionality with a Logitech G500 mouse works just fine, but you have to have the drivers on both devices. Sometimes I need to use a wireless mouse & keyboard with a unified receiver and that works fine as well. Clipboard sharing doesn't have to be enabled. There is functionality to drag the mouse and keyboard focus to the other device's monitor, but I use a keyboard shortcut to switch focus, so the devices are wholly independent.

.random
May 7, 2007

WorkingStiff posted:

What is the spec for isolation you need? I use it for my work machine through a VPN on a Cisco ASA5550 Security Appliance and a personal machine on the local network. All programmed functionality with a Logitech G500 mouse works just fine, but you have to have the drivers on both devices. Sometimes I need to use a wireless mouse & keyboard with a unified receiver and that works fine as well. Clipboard sharing doesn't have to be enabled. There is functionality to drag the mouse and keyboard focus to the other device's monitor, but I use a keyboard shortcut to switch focus, so the devices are wholly independent.

I run viruses (inside of virtual machines) on one, and "normal" work stuff on the other, so there's some level of :tinfoil:

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

.random posted:

I run viruses (inside of virtual machines) on one, and "normal" work stuff on the other, so there's some level of :tinfoil:

At work we have 2 machines and they have to be kept 1 m apart at all times.

but we can use KVM between the 2, as they only provide Keyboard, mouse and video signals from / to the actual kb mouse and screen,

I know i used to have a 6m cable for one of my KVMs about 15 years ago, so is 6m enough split?

Unless a virus is able to program itself into the Keyboard or mouse or screen then you have your seperation

isndl
May 2, 2012

TheresaJayne posted:

Unless a virus is able to program itself into the Keyboard or mouse or screen then you have your seperation

Can BadUSB be passed through KVM switches? :tinfoil:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

TheresaJayne posted:

but we can use KVM between the 2, as they only provide Keyboard, mouse and video signals from / to the actual kb mouse and screen,

I know i used to have a 6m cable for one of my KVMs about 15 years ago, so is 6m enough split?

Does each machine control half the launch sequence or something?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Magnus Praeda posted:

Can't answer sorry

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Magnus Praeda posted:

No. One of those machines holds a virus so bad that it mutated into being airborne.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

TheresaJayne posted:

Can't answer sorry

Is 1 meter enough? :tinfoil:

.random
May 7, 2007

TheresaJayne posted:

Ah, I was responding in relation to the j5Create Wormhole Switches, which seems like a software-based KVM (?), not the "hardware" KVM. I'm not sure how their protocols work, but they seem to support file transfer and such, so I assume it is not so simple? Someone maybe can tell me things that will make me :buddy:

Physical distance actually doesn't matter to me, because I don't mind if the NSA can spy on me via NFC :tinfoil:

much edits:
vvv Though not much an issue for the mouse/keyboard components unless yours happens to be flashable/have onboard device firmware... which most of the fancier ones do these days, of course.

That said, mouse/keyboard are usually emulated in a KVM scenario (which is what: A) allows you to boot a computer plugged into a KVM when not active, which would normally mean "OMG NO MOUSE KEYBOARD FREAK OUT", B) makes it so there's not that annoying USB disconnect/reconnect every time you switch between computers, and C) prevents most KVMs from supporting "fancy" features like multibutton.. too much work to emulate fancy devices correctly so they just tell the system it's a dumb 2+scroll mouse/104-key KB/etc.). I'm not sure what this means for BadUSB, but I assume there is a reasonable chance it would not work in this arrangement.

(However, "shared USB ports" on a KVM are definitely direct passthrough)

.random fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 13, 2015

Thalagyrt
Aug 10, 2006

isndl posted:

Can BadUSB be passed through KVM switches? :tinfoil:

Most KVMs just direct passthrough USB from what I know as it's the simplest method. Since USB is hot swappable you don't need to do the magic that was required with a PS/2 KVM to emulate a device. I'd say yes, in most cases BadUSB type attacks can pass through a KVM switch. Don't use a KVM when you need isolation.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander

.random posted:

Super Long:
clusterfuck

Have you looked at http://synergykm.com/ for a solution to part of this? I have my work laptop on a docking station (closed atm but could be open) DVI'd to two 24" monitors. My gaming PC DVI'd to the third, my Macbook sitting next to the monitor on a lift stand, and it has a thunderbolt >HDMI cable to the 32" TV next to it. The gaming PC is hosting a WASD mechanical keyboard and the Logitech G602 mouse. I can copy/paste and move my mouse between all of the displays from left to right, fluidly. With everything up, I'm running 6 displays basically, and that's still shy because the gaming PC could be driving two more since it has a GTX 970 in it.

slightpirate fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Feb 14, 2015

isndl
May 2, 2012

slightpirate posted:

Have you looked at http://synergykm.com/ for a solution to part of this? I have my work laptop on a docking station (closed atm but could be open) DVI'd to two 24" monitors. My gaming PC DVI'd to the third, my Macbook sitting next to the monitor on a lift stand, and it has a thunderbolt >HDMI cable to the 32" TV next to it. The gaming PC is hosting a WASD mechanical keyboard and the Logitech G602 mouse. I can copy/paste and move my mouse between all of the displays from left to right, fluidly. With everything up, I'm running 6 displays basically, and that's still shy because the gaming PC could be driving two more since it has a GTX 970 in it.

.random posted:

I have 2 "isolated" laptops (isolated, so I can't use something convenient like Synergy software-based KVM) which I need to use for work.

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
My bad - I got all scared by the big colorful picture you drew. I almost want to say an old school analog KVM would work best. cheap and easy to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

slightpirate posted:

My bad - I got all scared by the big colorful picture you drew. I almost want to say an old school analog KVM would work best. cheap and easy to find.

Amazing recommendation. I doubt he's thought of that or mentioned it in his post.