Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
I haven't played P3 yet, but intend to. If I play this first am I going to spoil anything for myself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The plots to P3 and P4 hardly bleed into PQ. Maybe you can infer a few things based on certain things in this game, but I don't think you're really gonna jump to correct conclusions, if you jump to anything at all. Going into more detail on what those things are might be giving too much information.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Butt Ghost posted:

The plots to P3 and P4 hardly bleed into PQ. Maybe you can infer a few things based on certain things in this game, but I don't think you're really gonna jump to correct conclusions, if you jump to anything at all. Going into more detail on what those things are might be giving too much information.

That's cool, thank you. I've already finished P4G a bunch of times (and am playing it again, of course), so I'm not worried about spoilers from that end. It's good to know that I won't be spoiling a first P3 play through though, so thank you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I haven't played P3 yet, but intend to. If I play this first am I going to spoil anything for myself?

Not the main plot but there's a lot of character stuff they spoil. Ken and Shinji in particular. It completely spoils a lot of people's character arcs straight up.

Just play P3 first, it's a better game anyway.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jan 25, 2015

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Yeah, dont be in a rush to play this game. If you like Persona, play Persona. If you like EO/dungeon crawlers, play EO. This game is neat for people who've played P3 and P4, but its nothing special.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Pork Pie Hat posted:

You won't spoil much at all, but you might not appreciate it nearly as much because PQ assumes you are familiar with both games and their characters beforehand, so a lot of jokes and references might be lost on you.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!
I love the EO games and Persona but this game is boring to me. It's taken me three weeks to get through the second stratum due to disinterest. For an EO fan, does it pick up?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The third labyrinth is the best one, the fourth is the worst. The fifth is really simple and also the last, there's no post game dungeon. After the third labyrinth you don't even have to pretend like puzzles matter since nearly all of them involve running from FOEs and they're not particularly challenging. Though there's a lot of that in the third as well and you can still just kill the FOEs because :effort:. You can run through most of the game on autopilot once you set up a character or two with status effects and have someone with Impure Reach and Mahamaon/Mamudoon.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!
I should have bought a physical copy. Thanks for the rundown!

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
OK so I'm about to fight the Second Boss and I'm currently level 31, am I overleveled or is the game just too easy?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Dogbutt posted:

OK so I'm about to fight the Second Boss and I'm currently level 31, am I overleveled or is the game just too easy?

Both? I was ~25 when I fought the second boss. Game's not very hard though, especially once you figure out one of the broken builds.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Fungah! posted:

Both? I was ~25 when I fought the second boss. Game's not very hard though, especially once you figure out one of the broken builds.

Ah righto! I guess that's what I get for fighting F.O.Es early on ahahaha

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
How far is it until the P3 and P4 group meet up?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Munsun posted:

How far is it until the P3 and P4 group meet up?

End of the first dungeon.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
Is there a fusion calculator somewhere? I want a high faerie but I'm not sure what to get out of the compendium.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

I'm stuck in the final dungeon. Anyone have links to a map? I am really hating this moving platform section.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Tir McDohl posted:

I'm stuck in the final dungeon. Anyone have links to a map? I am really hating this moving platform section.

I used these maps a few times for other things, and they were pretty helpful. The translations are a little wonky, but it's not hard to figure out for the most part.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Thank you so much!

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

At first the whole drawing the map thing seemed absurdly tedious and stupid but now I'm like "OMG another loving battle I'm trying to draw the map wtf HAMAON"
After only playing P3 previously, it's so refreshing being able to control everyone in the party during combat. I never beat P3 because when Akihiko's AI would conclude that ENEMY STRONG VS LIGHTNING THEREFORE I CAN DO NOTHING then Akihiko would dance in place on his turn and go "Waiting is part of my strategy!" I would get so filled with ennui that I had to go do something else.

Third dungeon is a bitch. Puzzles are harder and the enemies are really annoying...Bestial Roar and elemental debuffs loving hell

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

If you ever decide to pick up P3 again, you should play the PSP version. You can control your team.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It also has the female protagonist, which has a lot of the best s-links in the game. There are links for the male party members! Ken's sucks, but Junpei and Shinji make up for it. Koromaru s-link is cute as well.

Omglosser
Sep 2, 2007

Butt Ghost posted:

If you ever decide to pick up P3 again, you should play the PSP version. You can control your team.

Friends been bugging me to pick up a PSP...I suppose it is time then

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Manatee Cannon posted:

It also has the female protagonist, which has a lot of the best s-links in the game. There are links for the male party members! Ken's sucks, but Junpei and Shinji make up for it. Koromaru s-link is cute as well.

Ken's actually fairly decent and gives him some needed characterisation, if you can resist pushing on the Pedo Button. Please don't push on the Pedo Button.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Omglosser posted:

Could always give PPSSPP a try. I think there's a thread for it here somewhere.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Omglosser posted:

Go ahead and get a VIta if you do, P3P is available on the PSN Store for it, and you could do P4G at the same time.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I just started playing and i am getting my rear end kicked in on normal mode on floor 3.

Burning Beetles keep showing up one shotting a party member with their two attacks, or two of those stupid red/blue crosses both cast mabufu the same turn causing my entire party to wipe.

I am using:

Front Row: P4MC/Kanji/Chie
Back Row: Naoto/Yukiko

Anyone have any good suggestions?

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
panic. the answer is always panic. it shouldn't be too hard to find a persona with tentarafoo or panic circle, so get one and give it to naoto since she's pretty much the best ailment caster. panicked enemies can't use skills and have a chance of hitting themselves. and for some reason if an enemy who would normally get two actions per turn (like the burning beetles) hits itself on the first action, it won't perform a second.

and the scales are probably weak to either light or dark, so that's another option. there's also strength and magic binds, but i forget whether those are easily available in the early game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Inflammatory posted:

panic. the answer is always panic. it shouldn't be too hard to find a persona with tentarafoo or panic circle, so get one and give it to naoto since she's pretty much the best ailment caster. panicked enemies can't use skills and have a chance of hitting themselves. and for some reason if an enemy who would normally get two actions per turn (like the burning beetles) hits itself on the first action, it won't perform a second.

and the scales are probably weak to either light or dark, so that's another option. there's also strength and magic binds, but i forget whether those are easily available in the early game.

I think my impure reached Naoto hit with tentarafoo like five times total through the entire game so your mileage may vary.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Inflammatory posted:

Pretty much Tentarafoo/Stun Circle/Panic Circle/Scarecrow barely if ever actually seem to hit.

Is there really no way to see the stats of an fused persona from the fusing menu?

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

UberJumper posted:

Is there really no way to see the stats of an fused persona from the fusing menu?

They don't exist in PQ outside of the HP and SP buffer they provide in combat. The core five stats are tied directly to the characters if you want to look at them through their status menu.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Inflammatory posted:

Ken is actually the best status caster due to his status of highest Luck in the game, but he's not used as often because:

1. He's Ken, and so nobody likes him
2. Naoto naturally learns Mahamaon/Mamudoon, while Ken is stuck with only Hamaon so has to rely on skill cards or sub-Personas for them.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Please destroy Ken

Edit: Developers of the fighting game knew Ken was the worst character in the entire series so they paired him up with one of the best, unfortunately Ken is so terrible it overrides this and you must also destroy the dog

Edit 2: In that sense he gets 2 great characters killed

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Please destroy Ken

That is the FeMC's job :pedo:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Please destroy Ken

Edit: Developers of the fighting game knew Ken was the worst character in the entire series so they paired him up with one of the best, unfortunately Ken is so terrible it overrides this and you must also destroy the dog

Edit 2: In that sense he gets 2 great characters killed

Ken: literally no one likes Ken.

Also that P3P romance is the creepiest poo poo ever and I will never choose it because jesus christ

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
So i unlocked the P3 Crew, and i am utterly baffled by my party composition. There is so much choice and i just want to use everyone but Ken.

I was thinking along the lines of: P4MC - Aigis - Kanji / Naoto - P3MC

Is this decent? I really have no idea what i am doing however.

PhrenzZ
Dec 26, 2012
That team comp is very good and will easily get you through the game.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

UberJumper posted:

So i unlocked the P3 Crew, and i am utterly baffled by my party composition. There is so much choice and i just want to use everyone but Ken.

I used that except with Akihiko instead of Aigis, did fine. Aigis is probably better anyway.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

UberJumper posted:

that's almost exactly my main party except i used chie instead of kanji. you'll be fine. consider moving aigis to the back row if you can get her some ranged skills and pain eater, that'll make her even tankier.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

UberJumper posted:

That's the exact team that saw me through to the end of the game. Or rather, Kanji and Naoto did, and the rest were there mostly to trigger Link attacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Put Aigis in the back, though. There are plenty of ranged physical skills, and she's a fantastic tank made even more fantastic by taking half damage in the back row.

• Locked thread