Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
After reading this thread extensively I have come to the conclusions that this game can be either hard or not hard at the beginning and/or after the beginning depending on various variables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok, I'm an idiot, aren't I?

There's absolutely no downside to retreating from a fight, is there, apart from the lost turn for the one dude? So if you're surprised, it's basically *always* a good idea to retreat and re-sort, right?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Lotish posted:

Really? Because at this point I'm making GBS threads out so much damage that unless something has a particular gimmick like the Hag I can crush it in a hurry. I haven't had to destress anyone who's gone into 3+ dungeons because they own anything they meet before it can cause stress or damage.

Are you using the camp abilities that buff damage, accuracy and crit? They make things much easier.

I do. I usually save it for the middle or so for a free torch/potential stress heals, tho I could see using it earlier being beneficial.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's absolutely no downside to retreating from a fight, is there, apart from the lost turn for the one dude? So if you're surprised, it's basically *always* a good idea to retreat and re-sort, right?

I've had instances where I got surprised but someone on my team went before the enemy, and when I ran away and came back the enemy got to go first. Other than fringe cases like that no.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Well, that depends. How much damage did you take before you retreated? How much more damage will you take after restarting the fight?

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I brought in a newly rank 3 leper, highwayman, occultist and vestal to my first level 3 dungeon. gently caress. I didn't realize there would be new enemies. Cthulu worms and troll person were pretty scary, and the drat grave worms actually hit pretty hard now. I survived it and nobody went insane, but it's pretty difficult. I think my guys have bad quirks now and have to heal up some. I'd definitely replace the leper with a crusader to leapfrog the lance with the highwayman. The healing from an occultist plus vestal was good because I got group heals plus big single target ones. Might guys went to death's door a couple times and it was pretty nerve wracking.

I think I want to get a team that's crusader, highwayman, grave robber, and vestal. There are so many good combos. Might switch out the highwayman for hellion. How viable is having the agile guys like hellion, highwayman or jester, grave robber and then vestal in the back? I feel like someone up front is going to get killed if the fight is prolonged or damage gets real. Also I don't have 3 grave robbers at the moment. I have 3 hellions, though!

I find jester is awesome for damage. Put him in the third slot with dirk stab, the group buff song, cut off, and heroic end. He can do some good damage from there and move around if necessary to set up grave robbers or crusaders.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I should probably not have taken all those reasonably high stress characters into the dungeon at the same time. No-one died, but by the time I got out, 3 of them were freaking the gently caress out and it was awesome.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Retreating from a surprise attack really depends mostly on your group comp. If you have a leper and he gets shuffled off the front two rows, you should probably retreat and re-do. If you have a bunch of mobile guys that can still fight from the new positions, it is pretty possible to roll with the surprise attack. So I guess like most of the game, it depends on how your party is set up!

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

S.J. posted:

Well, that depends. How much damage did you take before you retreated? How much more damage will you take after restarting the fight?

And how many times will you fail to retreat? Last time I tried it took a full eight actions to successfully do so.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

How does Scouting work, exactly? Is it just a percent chance you'll scout the area when you hit a room?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

vandalism posted:

I brought in a newly rank 3 leper, highwayman, occultist and vestal to my first level 3 dungeon. gently caress. I didn't realize there would be new enemies. Cthulu worms and troll person were pretty scary, and the drat grave worms actually hit pretty hard now. I survived it and nobody went insane, but it's pretty difficult. I think my guys have bad quirks now and have to heal up some. I'd definitely replace the leper with a crusader to leapfrog the lance with the highwayman. The healing from an occultist plus vestal was good because I got group heals plus big single target ones. Might guys went to death's door a couple times and it was pretty nerve wracking.
Yeah the new monsters were a surprise to me as well. I also tried a level 3 dungeon with level 3 characters and ended up having to abandon before I lost someone. The goal now is to get their armor and skills upgraded to rank 3 before I give it another shot. The extra dodge from level 3 armor seems like it would be especially important now.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Night10194 posted:

How does Scouting work, exactly? Is it just a percent chance you'll scout the area when you hit a room?

Seems like a percent chance every tile(even between rooms) because I feel like I've gotten scouting between rooms before too. There might be a higher chance, like 4x or something, when you hit an actual room, though. It does happen most often in rooms.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Was having some trouble with the first Hag fight until my hellion jumped out of the pot and crit her for 32 damage.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Yeah those skeleton spearmen are a nasty surprise. Especially if you let them make their way to the front rank - hello, bastard rear end in a top hat cousin of blanket fire how are you

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

vandalism posted:

I think I want to get a team that's crusader, highwayman, grave robber, and vestal. There are so many good combos. Might switch out the highwayman for hellion. How viable is having the agile guys like hellion, highwayman or jester, grave robber and then vestal in the back? I feel like someone up front is going to get killed if the fight is prolonged or damage gets real. Also I don't have 3 grave robbers at the moment. I have 3 hellions, though!

In the back all the Hellion can do is Break Through and buff. She's much more viable in the front for Iron Swan, and to have everyone else reposition around her. By the time she's at the back, the mob should be weak enough to pick off. I'm thinking for my team: Highwayman with Point Blank and Grape Shot first, Hellion with Iron Swan, If It Bleeds, and Yerp second, Crusader with Lance, Stun, and Accusation third, and the fourth for heals or whatever.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 8, 2015

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Fighting the pig prince for the first time and critting wilbur to death with 1 shot via the Hellion was really good. It was almost worth losing two guys due to being stunlocked to the point where I couldn't run for probably 4 rounds.

Going to put the game down for now until they finish it but it's really good.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

There's the chance for retreat to fail which just wastes your turn, but yeah I should probably retreat more often when surprised.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I don't think I've taken more than 3 attempts to retreat so far, which is less than 1 full turn. It would usually take longer than that to really re-position my guys to be effective, and if you've got a high speed guy, especially with a +first turn speed trinket, you can often retreat before anything actually happens.

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!
Does anyone else get all :unsmith: when, after a tough battle that gravely voice chimes in with "These nightmarish creatures CAN be felled! They CAN be beaten!"? In a tough game like this, that actually means ALOT and can be pretty encouraging.

Blackray Jack fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 8, 2015

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Night10194 posted:

You can increase scouting chance procs with trinkets and camp skills. Sometimes you scout 1 hallway+room ahead, sometimes 2 hallways+rooms ahead. The map scouting procs from looting a bag usually only scouts the hallways.

Scouting is probably one of those hidden stat things (kind of like trap disarming) that some are better at than others. I have a feeling this will be covered by the "Class Bonus" tab.

Scout Chance
Trap Disarming
Religious

I wonder what else could be in there

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Is the Trap Resistance stat I've been looking at not related to disarming traps but only resisting their effect?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Blackray Jack posted:

Does anyone else get all :unsmith: when, after a tough battle that gravely voice chimes in with "These nightmarish creatures CAN be felled! They CAN be beaten!"? In a tough game like this, that actually means ALOT and can be pretty encouraging.

Yeah, it's a good line. I also like the one about overconfidence being a slow and insidious killer.

I know the graphics are easily viewed - are the voice lines?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

AngryBooch posted:

Is the Trap Resistance stat I've been looking at not related to disarming traps but only resisting their effect?

At this rate I can't even tell, it doesn't help that the classes that are better at disarming have the best trap resistance base (I still go by resistance like you though)

I always figured it could be a hidden stat, like +bleed/blight/debuff/stun chance that's not shown

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Playing this game is racing against the clock. It's a blast for while, until you get wiped on a pair of spiders that literally crit every single attack they make, and dodge everything you throw at them. Then, its alt-f4 and try again tomorrow. Seriously, I thought X-COM was bad about missing on 87% constantly, but this game is just silly with the dice rolls.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

AngryBooch posted:

I don't think so. I've had a Bounty Hunter with 50 in Traps disarm them pretty regularly. I always try whomever in my party has the highest stat on them.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Unless I've missed it the one thing I think I wish was a feature in the game was classes having different amounts of stress resistance by default. Like, by their description in the KS updates I was hoping the Leper would be basically a sort of weaker, harder-to-heal fighter that had the benefit of have powerful stress resistance due to being well, a leper and not giving a flying gently caress anymore.

Maybe Crusaders and Vestals aren't -disturbed- by unholy enemies because it's their gigs destroying them to begin with, but they're totally hosed up by seeing Eldritch horrors.

There's not really much interaction between the different classes outside of "religious" related camping skills like the Vestal's.

I was thinking you'd have stuff like Crusaders and Vestals being bothered by having an Occultist in their party with his weird heals and attacks, or not finding the Highwayman's Gallows Humor funny, where the Bounty Hunter/Highwayman/Grave Robber don't particularly find the Jester amusing. That sort of stuff.

If it's in there I haven't really noticed.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Leper DOES have a stress resist, basically. It's a buff they have that you can cast every round if you want.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Waffle! posted:

I don't think so. I've had a Bounty Hunter with 50 in Traps disarm them pretty regularly. I always try whomever in my party has the highest stat on them.

Yeah I did enough testing on this that I just say in my guide that the resist traps skill is the disarm chance.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

While we're talking about things we think would be cool to add to the game, I kind of wish units would kind of invisibly track how many missions they complete with other guys, so if you use a team of guys regularly, they get "attached" to each other and suffer more stress when a good friend gets hurt or benefit more when a good friend gets a crit. And when someone's at Death's Door, if a teammate used the character's name when they shout something like, "You can't die, ________!" it would had a nice personal touch.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Lotish posted:

Really? Because at this point I'm making GBS threads out so much damage that unless something has a particular gimmick like the Hag I can crush it in a hurry. I haven't had to destress anyone who's gone into 3+ dungeons because they own anything they meet before it can cause stress or damage.

Are you using the camp abilities that buff damage, accuracy and crit? They make things much easier.

The first level 3 dungeon I did was with a party of Crusader, Hellion, Occultist, Vestal, all level 3 except the Occultist. I lost two people to the first encounter, which was two dogs and some sort of witch or hag or something, I forget. I couldn't hit the 23 dodge dogs at all and they crit me constantly.

In fact, gently caress dogs. Even the level 1 dogs are the worst sort of annoying pieces of poo poo to fight. They're super fast, super accurate, difficult to focus fire on because they change position every action, can attack any space from any space, have high crit rates, inflict bleed, inflict rabies, and have extremely high dodge. They don't have a ton of hit points but that doesn't matter if you can't loving hit them and they never miss. 18 dodge sure doesn't feel like 18%, even taking attacks with 80 or 85 accuracy into account. The 4 dog encounter in the Weald is easily worse than the Necromancer Apprentice encounter by an order of magnitude.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zurai posted:

The 4 dog encounter in the Weald is easily worse than the Necromancer Apprentice encounter by an order of magnitude.

Glad I have that to look forward to since the Necro managed to go down BARELY with all 4 guys on Death's Door for a year.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I just wish the Hag was a more predictable and controllable fight. Last time I tried to fight her it was like she kept getting action after action without me getting to do anything. Into the Pot--> Taste the Stew --> Tenderize the Meat --> Season to Perfection all one after the other just over and and over, and each time she acts the person in the pot loses more health. I felt like I never had a chance to respond and ended up losing three of my best guys.

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
Guys... my plague doctor has healed about 5 or 6 diseases out of my various character's quark list! if you use the leaches skill on someone in camp it has a chance to heal disease... i think the tool tip is wrong because I have yet to not have him remove a disease when i use it.

would someone else verify this? as I have been loving this plague doctor.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Hoooly poo poo this game is hard and unforgiving for newbies. Gotta really learn this poo poo.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Lotish posted:

I just wish the Hag was a more predictable and controllable fight. Last time I tried to fight her it was like she kept getting action after action without me getting to do anything. Into the Pot--> Taste the Stew --> Tenderize the Meat --> Season to Perfection all one after the other just over and and over, and each time she acts the person in the pot loses more health. I felt like I never had a chance to respond and ended up losing three of my best guys.

I'm not sure why the pot does damage so fast either. Isn't removing a whole party member bad enough?

That said she's still doable if you come prepared with people with range

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

FrancoFish posted:

Glad I have that to look forward to since the Necro managed to go down BARELY with all 4 guys on Death's Door for a year.

I'm exaggerating a bit because the dogs collectively have fewer hp than the Necro by a third, let alone all the undead the Necro summons, but they're just so aggravating to fight against. I loathe fighting 4 dogs at a time. They're why I prefer not to do Weald missions. I'd rather be surprised by a skeleton shield guy, skeleton warrior, double courtier group than get the drop on 4 dogs.

Honestly, the dogs really highlight why I don't like people comparing Darkest Dungeon to Dark Souls (aside from being a different genre). Dark Souls is so awesome because the difficulty is completely fair to the player. If you're cautious and observant, you can beat anything, and even if you fail you only lose the "money" you havn't spent yet and whatever time it takes to backtrack. Darkest Dungeon is very frequently unfair RNG bullshit. It's hyperbole to say that you can get a TPK in a single round before you get an action unless your party is already beat to poo poo, but it's entirely possible for you to get put into an unwinnable position through absolutely no fault of your own with no way for you to have possibly prevented it. Yes, you can just cut your losses and abandon the quest, but it is absolutely possible to get into a death spiral that forces you to practically start over from the beginning (except for town upgrades).

That doesn't mean Darkest Dungeon is bad or anything, it's just that it's hard in a very different (and IMO much more frustrating and unfun) way that the Souls series is. I like Darkest Dungeon, I just wish it felt a little more fair at times.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Akumos posted:

Hoooly poo poo this game is hard and unforgiving for newbies. Gotta really learn this poo poo.

The biggest tip I can give is that retreating from a battle or failing a mission is perfectly acceptable. Don't let hubris get the better of you if things start going to poo poo.

Zurai posted:

That doesn't mean Darkest Dungeon is bad or anything, it's just that it's hard in a very different (and IMO much more frustrating and unfun) way that the Souls series is. I like Darkest Dungeon, I just wish it felt a little more fair at times.

:xcom:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Try upgrading your skills so you get better accuracy on your attacks.

Bring high accuracy attacks into the Weald. Dogs may be dodgy but they don't do a lot of damage, it's mostly through bleeds. The AoE Vestal heal helps here.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Rascyc posted:

Try upgrading your skills so you get better accuracy on your attacks.

Bring high accuracy attacks into the Weald. Dogs may be dodgy but they don't do a lot of damage, it's mostly through bleeds. The AoE Vestal heal helps here.

You didn't bring accuracy? Can't hit dogs? Hope you brought disease resistance. Oh, you didn't? Have fun with Rabies. Oh, you have less accuracy now?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I understand that, I'm not saying the dogs are unbeatable or anything, they're just really annoying enemies to fight. They probably don't even have a higher crit rate than other monsters despite my claim above, it's just that they tend to survive a bit longer since they're so dodgy, so they get more attacks and thus have more opportunities to crit.

As for :xcom:, XCom is another game where the difficulty is mostly fair. There's always the crit-in-full-cover-for-max-damage bullshit deaths, but overall you've got way more control of the situation in XCom than in DD. That's part of DD's intended design, you're not supposed to feel in control, I definitely understand that. I guess I'm just too much of a control freak to be able to fully appreciate that design choice :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Can someone give me a few good party setups for early game, or some advice? I cleared one dungeon then kept wiping while my party was de-stressing because I had to use 2 jesters lmao. I have no idea how to get through these dungeons early on, feels like my heals are too low, gold is too low and I'm always stressed.