Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
More Vinland is good, but man, I miss Thorkell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I just want Thorfinn to overcome his pacifism. Sometimes fighting is the answer.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

I just want Thorfinn to overcome his pacifism. Sometimes fighting is the answer.

VInland Saga right now is way more interesting than it ever was as an action comic.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Sharkopath posted:

VInland Saga right now is way more interesting than it ever was as an action comic.

I don't want him to go back to mindless berserker Thorfinn, but he is now responsible for the welfare of a bunch of people in a time in history where bad things™ happen. In the one of the latest updates you see him discussing the "merits" of vengeance, and while he might disagree with the morality of it, he also sees the practicality behind it. I just hope that carries over and he'll defend those around him without a bunch of them eating the dust first.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
Loving Vinland Saga as a single dad manga.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cynic Jester posted:

I don't want him to go back to mindless berserker Thorfinn, but he is now responsible for the welfare of a bunch of people in a time in history where bad things™ happen. In the one of the latest updates you see him discussing the "merits" of vengeance, and while he might disagree with the morality of it, he also sees the practicality behind it. I just hope that carries over and he'll defend those around him without a bunch of them eating the dust first.
That's his fear now. That he'll have to do that.

And he will do that if he has to. That's what really scares him right now. He's afraid there's no other way.

The author's morality is interesting and nuanced- earlier in the story we had sympathetic fleshed out viking characters who happened to be casual brutal killers too. Even in this section, as you pointed out, he sees vengeance not as evil or wrong, but an imperfect attempt at peace. Thorfinn's pacifism is interesting, because violence and those who are violent are not being condemned in absolute terms. They're still people, often doing their best, always products of their world. Thorfinn is not seeking vengeance on anything, not even on violence. He's not really judging anything. He's just looking for another way.

Thorfinn's search for another way is really fascinating and inspiring, because it's being handled so well. I'm not sure if he can find a satisfying answer, but so far it looks like he's searching in the right ways. If he has to give it up, if there's no answer, I'll understand. Einar is the best brother.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Seems like his best option would be the Thors method of disabling his opponents without killing them.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Cynic Jester posted:

Oh yeah I don't disagree really, I'm just way more excited to see what's gonna happen with gudrid and her fiance, more baby shenanigans, and if they'll ever get to see Byzantium than I am to see more viking violence, whether its thorfinn or not.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Cynic Jester posted:

I think thats pretty likely and even somewhat foreshadowed by the scene where he realizes that his father never gave up his sword and thus it is possible that he will have to use violence in the future. However I doubt that the story is setting his pacifism as something to be overcome - on the contrary, I think that when he is forced to use violence it will be seen as either a failure or a sacrifice.

Edit: ninja'ed hard.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
I missed Vinland Saga so much, and these chapters have been really good.

Also, laughing at the thought of Thorfinn throwing up his hands and shouting "Nope! Pacifism!" while his friends are cut down around him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lt. Lizard posted:

I think thats pretty likely and even somewhat foreshadowed by the scene where he realizes that his father never gave up his sword and thus it is possible that he will have to use violence in the future. However I doubt that the story is setting his pacifism as something to be overcome - on the contrary, I think that when he is forced to use violence it will be seen as either a failure or a sacrifice.

Edit: ninja'ed hard.

I don't think it will be either failure or sacrifice. His near total pacifism is the result of the failure of his previous embracing of pure Viking Violence. The fact that he's thinking that maybe violence is sometimes an answer and that he realizes that violence may be required in this journey show that he's still refining his philosophy. I'm really loving the background story of philosopher Thorfinn.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Eh, I guess that might be the crystallization of his path/philosophy, but I would be a little disappointed if Thorfinn would end as just another warrior-philosopher who only fights to protects his friend/innocent/subordinates, no matter how potentially cool the action scenes would be. I like the idea of a totally pacifist badass Viking leader too much for that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lt. Lizard posted:

Eh, I guess that might be the crystallization of his path/philosophy, but I would be a little disappointed if Thorfinn would end as just another warrior-philosopher who only fights to protects his friend/innocent/subordinates, no matter how potentially cool the action scenes would be. I like the idea of a totally pacifist badass Viking leader too much for that.

It doesn't seem like that's necessarily where his end philosophy is heading. It's just that he's recognizing why there's violence, why pacifism might not be the total answer, and reexamining not only his father's path but potential deviations from his current path.

His ultimate resolution is going to be Vinland, the place where he can create a society not based on the old and outside it's feuds and rivalries. The question remains what level of non-violence he finally settles on during the journey.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I hope the comic breaks historical reality and everybody has a good time at vinland.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

Sharkopath posted:

Thorfinn pulling himself out of Hell, dragging the people he killed behind him remains one of the most powerful visualizations I've seen of a person's struggle for atonement. It was a better-than-average action manga, but Yukimara's refusal to stop there is what has really elevated it. The ongoing evolution of his characters, the philosophical questions he raises and the nuance with which he explores them are really beyond what I've seen in a comic before.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

I hope the comic breaks historical reality and everybody has a good time at vinland.

They really deserve it. :unsmith:

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ATP5G1 posted:

Thorfinn pulling himself out of Hell, dragging the people he killed behind him remains one of the most powerful visualizations I've seen of a person's struggle for atonement. It was a better-than-average action manga, but Yukimara's refusal to stop there is what has really elevated it. The ongoing evolution of his characters, the philosophical questions he raises and the nuance with which he explores them are really beyond what I've seen in a comic before.

farm saga and pacifist saga are supreme

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ATP5G1 posted:

This was one of the reasons I liked his other work, Planetes, so much because of the continual character development and Hachimaki's realization that you don't have to be isolated to be strong / protect yourself. It was a really interesting thing to read as a person about the same age as the MC at the time.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
The pacifism thing is set up in the very first chapter. It makes for a really good re-read.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

About the part about the cycle of revenge being a thing on Norse society... Wasn't there the Weregild (blood money, where a murderer has to pay/become a slave of the murdered's family) at the time?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

About the part about the cycle of revenge being a thing on Norse society... Wasn't there the Weregild (blood money, where a murderer has to pay/become a slave of the murdered's family) at the time?

Yes, but there wasn't really anything stopping you from going out, killing the man who killed your brother/cousin/dad/etc. and then giving them their money back.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

SpaceViking posted:

Yes, but there wasn't really anything stopping you from going out, killing the man who killed your brother/cousin/dad/etc. and then giving them their money back.

Well, I mean, if you did that the courts would award them higher wergild and make you pay more. The goal was to break blood vengeance and prevent mass slaughters.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Yeah, there actually were pretty sophisticated (for the time, at least) legal systems in place to prevent conflicts from spiraling out of control and into the kind of blood vengeance cycle depicted in the last few chapters. The big problem here is that there rarely was any kind of central authority that could enforce judgements, so if the other party told you to get bent you kinda had to do the enforcing part yourself.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cerebral Bore posted:

Yeah, there actually were pretty sophisticated (for the time, at least) legal systems in place to prevent conflicts from spiraling out of control and into the kind of blood vengeance cycle depicted in the last few chapters. The big problem here is that there rarely was any kind of central authority that could enforce judgements, so if the other party told you to get bent you kinda had to do the enforcing part yourself.

Well, there probably is a central authority in Denmark. They landed on the Faroe Islands, which are only slightly closer to mainland Europe than Iceland. Canute can't exactly drop in to dispense justice at the drop off a hat.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It just shows that the libertarian ideal of NO GOVERNMENT ANYWHERE JUST MAH GUNS :bahgawd: is completely terrible to live in, because there would be nothing stopping you from avenging broken contracts with blood.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

DrSunshine posted:

It just shows that the libertarian ideal of NO GOVERNMENT ANYWHERE JUST MAH GUNS :bahgawd: is completely terrible to live in, because there would be nothing stopping you from avenging broken contracts with blood.

All you have to do is make a few examples of what happens when you get hosed over and it's all good. Sure it helps if you have a few giant killing machines or a crazy motherfucker or two on your side. But the History Channel has taught us that it was all worth it, because Earls get to play with the cutest loving baby goats and talk their ways into threesomes with princesses and shield maidens. Just make sure your best friend is a crazy son of a bitch like Floki.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
new chapter of Historie feels like Return of the King or something.
WATCH ALEXANDER LEAD HIS GHOST CAVALRY
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Historie/Historie-089?id=219798
is this that sort of thing where it doesn't get fully drawn until the actual volumes are released or something?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

its weird bc i don't remember that happening on parasyte but then again those WERE released volumes

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

That looks like one of his assistants quit with a deadline looming, lol

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

TheFallenEvincar posted:

new chapter of Historie feels like Return of the King or something.
WATCH ALEXANDER LEAD HIS GHOST CAVALRY
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Historie/Historie-089?id=219798
is this that sort of thing where it doesn't get fully drawn until the actual volumes are released or something?

It's happened a bunch of times so far, the Athenians had ghost ships 5 chapters back or so, and the panorama shot of Pella was a bunch of scribbles.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh man I got around to reading the new vinland saga chapters and I am loving it as a buddy comedy half the time, incredibly brutal and violent drama the other half

Angry baby rules, barbecue dog rules, gudrid and wife lady rule for laying the female knowledge smackdown, everything rules

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
What was the Byzantine Empire doing around this time anyway? Like does anyone have any idea who the Emperor would be around this saga's timeline?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

TheFallenEvincar posted:

What was the Byzantine Empire doing around this time anyway? Like does anyone have any idea who the Emperor would be around this saga's timeline?

It would probably be Basil II THE BULGAR-SLAYER, in which case the empire would be in the best shape it had ever been for the past century or so.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

New Baltzer

Frickin Commies!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

A Communist Greater German Solution holy poo poo

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

3 new Cesare!

I love a surge.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Short new Vinland chapter

Page 6 is pretty great.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I love how Vinland Saga just changes what it's doing on a dime. Ok, enough Viking fights, let's farm! Man, I'm bored now, Adventure Comedy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Series really sucked while they were on the farm so I'm glad they switched to this adventure comedy. I do miss the political side of the comic. Askeladd setting up Canute to take over the throne was just as exciting as Thorfinns fight with Thorkell