Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gearhead posted:

Blows things the gently caress up, basically.

FatGundam (Virtue -> Seravee -> Raphael), in all its incarnations, is basically the show's final word in 'Just how BIG a gun can you strap on a Gundam?' I'm not sure that anything Tieria ever hit with that thing was actually capable of surviving a hit from it, enemy tactics when engaging it were to try to keep it from deploying that horrifying thing.

Basically, the Virtue and its descendants were the 'siege Gundams', designed to obliterate enormous hard targets. In practice, they were kind of redundant because beam weapons were so powerful, and the Dynames series offered good enough firepower with far fewer drawbacks. Tieria got around this with the Seravee by giving it six arms and strapping guns and beam sabers on all of them, and then strapping on more guns because there was free space on his Gundam and gently caress that noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ScottyWired posted:

Moved house two weeks ago (grandparents basement) to start uni, set up my hobby workshop (an old pool table with a cloth on it) and offered sacrifice to Tomino and the plastic pantheon for their blessing upon this creative space (accidentally pinned my fingertip on an absurdly sharp nub)

Third Gundam I've built, pretty happy with it. My other forum is wondering what the hell that gun does because none of us have seen 00.

The Seravee's cannons all fire big bursts of Particles, and it combines the Rifles into a GN-Bazooka that fires off a colossal gently caress-you beam. They can also be mounted to the upper shoulder cannons to fire of twin, smaller, beams. Incidentally, the little GN-SMG it's holding isn't actually for it, but the Seraphim Gundam mounted to the back.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Darth Walrus posted:

Basically, the Virtue and its descendants were the 'siege Gundams', designed to obliterate enormous hard targets. In practice, they were kind of redundant because beam weapons were so powerful, and the Dynames series offered good enough firepower with far fewer drawbacks. Tieria got around this with the Seravee by giving it six arms and strapping guns and beam sabers on all of them, and then strapping on more guns because there was free space on his Gundam and gently caress that noise.

To be fair, goon favourite Gundam X has a completely impractical massive gun too. Then the Double X happened and just said "gently caress IT STRAP ANOTHER ONE ON"

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The purpose of the original Satellite Cannon was to blow up space colonies, and those are generally kind of hard to miss. :v:

The difference between the Satellite Cannon and some other super crazy overpowered Gundam beam weapon like, say, the Buster Rifle, is that the Satellite Cannon really isn't meant for general MS combat. It was quite literally a weapon you'd charge up from miles away and then nuke everything ever. Hence the cooldown and the other restrictions; if you wanted something you could use in a fight, that's what the G-Bits were for.

Meanwhile the Double X is a case of engineers trying to address the GX's faults by ramping the hell out of the energy absorption process, and ending up with so much that they had to fire it out of two cannons.

:goonsay:

Also if you have a MG/RG WZC, Samuel's offering some pretty decent looking bootlegs of the feather effect parts.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 5, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

To be fair, goon favourite Gundam X has a completely impractical massive gun too. Then the Double X happened and just said "gently caress IT STRAP ANOTHER ONE ON"

The X series were decently agile all-rounders that just happened to have giant fuckoff doomcannons in addition to the standard swords and rifles. The Virtue, meanwhile, had three options - 'stand still and fire my big, slow beam cannon', 'stand still and fire my slightly less big and slow beam cannons', and 'oh poo poo guess I need to disassemble my entire suit now'. I imagine a great deal of angry yelling at Celestial Being's engineers happened during the development of Tieria's replacement machine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

The X series were decently agile all-rounders that just happened to have giant fuckoff doomcannons in addition to the standard swords and rifles. The Virtue, meanwhile, had three options - 'stand still and fire my big, slow beam cannon', 'stand still and fire my slightly less big and slow beam cannons', and 'oh poo poo guess I need to disassemble my entire suit now'. I imagine a great deal of angry yelling at Celestial Being's engineers happened during the development of Tieria's replacement machine.

The Virtue's design was sound because it was mostly up against conventional weaponry that couldn't do jack to its condensed GN-Particle field, and the Seravee addressed the issues it had with close combat pretty well. For those that haven't seen 00, the shoulder and knee cannons fold out into beam saber-wielding arms for a total of six along with the ones stored in the wrists of the actual arms. The kit, sadly, can't replicate this as it only has two "beam cannon hands" and those are for the Seraphim Gundam on its back (the shoulder cannons are its arms).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Virtue's design was sound because it was mostly up against conventional weaponry that couldn't do jack to its condensed GN-Particle field, and the Seravee addressed the issues it had with close combat pretty well. For those that haven't seen 00, the shoulder and knee cannons fold out into beam saber-wielding arms for a total of six along with the ones stored in the wrists of the actual arms. The kit, sadly, can't replicate this as it only has two "beam cannon hands" and those are for the Seraphim Gundam on its back (the shoulder cannons are its arms).

Oh yeah, the Seravee fixed just about everything, but it's hard to argue that it had a lot to fix. I mean, the Virtue got punked by Tierens and (repeatedly) by Patrick Colasour. That's just embarrassing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Oh yeah, the Seravee fixed just about everything, but it's hard to argue that it had a lot to fix. I mean, the Virtue got punked by Tierens and (repeatedly) by Patrick Colasour. That's just embarrassing.

To be fair though, that was part of the Virtue's design in the Plan. They jumped it expecting it to be a slow and easy target and then it popped the armor and became the Naudleeh Gundam - a swift little asskicker toting the Virtue's shoulder cannons as hand weapons that they weren't expecting.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Just ordered my first airbrush and compressor! My life has officially been taken over.

On another note, I've been working on my Red Frame for months now, I'm almost done but I've hit a snag.

I'm doing a panel wash for the first time, but it never seems to turn out quite right. The wash is going into the panel lines with the magic of capilary action, but when I go to clean it up, I always end up making the lines look like butt, and the q-tip doesn't seem to absorb the paint, so I end up pushing it all over the panel. Has anyone else had this issue? What can I do for it? Am I just getting the Q-tip too wet with lighter fluid?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

You want to wait for the lines to dry a bit, then rub the spots with the q-tip.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I was crazy for Gundam in middle school, and any money I had went straight to kits. A few weeks ago, I nostalgically watched a little Build Fighters.

Then a nostalgically got a Grimoire, since it seemed like a simple, quick, radical suit.

And then the R-GyaGya, just for laughs.

Now my fiancee and I have a wishlist of 8 more suits. Cross Bone Maoh is next.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

rhoga posted:

I was crazy for Gundam in middle school, and any money I had went straight to kits. A few weeks ago, I nostalgically watched a little Build Fighters.

Then a nostalgically got a Grimoire, since it seemed like a simple, quick, radical suit.

And then the R-GyaGya, just for laughs.

Now my fiancee and I have a wishlist of 8 more suits. Cross Bone Maoh is next.

As a Gyan hater, I'm constantly amazed at how awesome the R-GyaGya is.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Crossbone X1 Custom was announced as a web exclusive.

Let the P-Bandai Crossbone lineup begin. :getin:

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Is there gunpla that comes in a snack bag? A friend asked me about "speed grade" kits.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ka0 posted:

Is there gunpla that comes in a snack bag? A friend asked me about "speed grade" kits.

Pretty sure those got discontinued a while ago. The kits themselves are 1/200 scale with pre-painted parts. Here's a vegeta8259 review on one of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlSP364UgCU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

Yeah, they're super low effort all around. The Wing, Zeta, and RX-78 were the only ones in that line, I think. If you want something to poke out and put together in 30 minutes they're OK. If you enjoy the building part of the hobby at all then get an HG. The AGE FG kits come in a box but are the same thing, I believe.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Crossbone X1 Custom was announced as a web exclusive.

Let the P-Bandai Crossbone lineup begin. :getin:

You can also order the build fighters version of the fullcloth Crossbone.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The really nice thing about the X Maoh is that even though there isn't a MG, Bandai got ready for it by including a peg that would fit into MG GX's back with every BF kit. So instead of having to mod the MG GX's backpack to fit with the 1/100 X Divider's parts, I can just swap out the 1/100's peg.

So much seams to fill though, sheesh.

EDIT:

What is the hinge on the back even going to be for? I can see a slit for something to click into, but the Divider's fuel tanks get in the way of mounting either the bazooka or the machine gun. Well unless you do something stupid like this anyways.

Maybe it's actually for the X Maoh.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 7, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I now have two Arios GNHW/M kits on their way to me because I'm loving stupid but that's okay I kind of like that version of the Arios more than the base one by like a million times

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
HG Build Burning Gundam, sure comes with alot of effects parts.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tenzarin posted:

HG Build Burning Gundam, sure comes with alot of effects parts.

Hell yeah it does. Have you seen the Try Burning yet?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I just bought the Kotobukiya Shadow Fox kit off Amazon. Being someone who's only ever built Gunpla kits, is there anything I should know about Kotobukiya models before I build this one?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's not cybuster so you're not going to bleed to death.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
I finally ordered my first MG kit after 5 HG's. Went with the Nu Gundam, and I want it here yesterday. So fuckin pumped.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

StalkofWheat posted:

I finally ordered my first MG kit after 5 HG's. Went with the Nu Gundam, and I want it here yesterday. So fuckin pumped.

I assume you mean Nu Gundam ver. ka? If so, you're gonna love the build. However, i'm gonna give you a tip now: make sure you apply gentle, even pressure when you're loosening the joints on the hands. A mistake rookies make is using too much force and breaking the fingers off.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Swagger Dagger posted:

The Try Burning has too much fire imo. Makes the kit look way too busy.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
New model kit coming from Kotobukiya:

CHAAAAAAAAAAANGE!!! GETTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! WAN!!!

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Swagger Dagger posted:

What's the likelihood of getting an MG of this bad boy?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vahtooch posted:

Eh, it could go either way actually. The BF MG's did not do well at all, iirc.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Eh, it could go either way actually. The BF MG's did not do well at all, iirc.

Why is that anyway? The show is cool, the mechs are cool, I just don't get why they've done badly but we have so many AGE MGs.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vahtooch posted:

Why is that anyway? The show is cool, the mechs are cool, I just don't get why they've done badly but we have so many AGE MGs.

My theory is it's because the show's entirely about HG kits. They're the ones the characters use, so they're the ones people predominantly want. Especially if they're watching the show first and going "oh hey, that looks neat. I'd like to try a kit of that one". I really do think they shot themselves in the foot a little by not tossing in an MG or even a PG bracket somewhere in the background of the show.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Has anyone built an HG lightning gundam? It says to use sticker #5 for the shoulder green but I only see one #5 sticker on the sheet.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Tenzarin posted:

Has anyone built an HG lightning gundam? It says to use sticker #5 for the shoulder green but I only see one #5 sticker on the sheet.

They were both there when I built it, the bigger green circles in the corner.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Ah, was miss reading the #4 right next to it.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My theory is it's because the show's entirely about HG kits. They're the ones the characters use, so they're the ones people predominantly want. Especially if they're watching the show first and going "oh hey, that looks neat. I'd like to try a kit of that one". I really do think they shot themselves in the foot a little by not tossing in an MG or even a PG bracket somewhere in the background of the show.

Oh yeah that would make sense. I've just been trying to imagine an mg level of effects parts for the try burning.... Would be so great.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Vahtooch posted:

Guaranteed. We are, no matter what, getting at least the protagonist's gundam in MG. Probably not until next year, mind you, since Bandai doesn't want to cannibalize HG sales, but it's happening.

MG BF is a mystery because by all accounts it was extremely successful, and at a relatively low cost to Bandai. Most theories as to why they stopped point to 2014 just being kind of a mess since they had PG Unicorn, RE/100, the big Unicorn finale, and the G-Reco/BF HGs clogging up R&D time.

Also we got a lot of AGE stuff because it was also super low cost to make. Hell the fact we didn't even get AGE-3 or FX, despite being more vessels for easy new MGs, is solely because AGE flopped that hard.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If there is not an MG Tryon 3, then there is no justice in this world.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

If there is not an MG Tryon 3, then there is no justice in this world.

Man, why bother with the knockoff when you can get the original? Let's get an MG ZZZ up in this.

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Guaranteed. We are, no matter what, getting at least the protagonist's gundam in MG. Probably not until next year, mind you, since Bandai doesn't want to cannibalize HG sales, but it's happening.

I'll just get both....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

New model kit coming from Kotobukiya:

CHAAAAAAAAAAANGE!!! GETTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! WAN!!!

Oh man I've been wanting a shin getter forever, considering the only alternative were insanely priced and/or out of production resin kits.