Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol plus it's the biggest slice of pie too

The second biggest slice of the pie is poo poo too

It's quite possible that the people who arranged the article had an agenda, but still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

i'm going to start calling all my meals "business meals" and increase my productivity

same but taking a poo poo

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed

Citizen Tayne posted:

The second biggest slice of the pie is poo poo too

It's quite possible that the people who arranged the article had an agenda, but still

it's the wsj, and i think that the fact they had to include "going to the gym" and "being on a plane" in order to get it above 40 speaks to the agenda they actually had

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

it's the wsj, and i think that the fact they had to include "going to the gym" and "being on a plane" in order to get it above 40 speaks to the agenda they actually had

WSJ ranks consistently further to the left in their editorial stance than NPR

Apr 7, 2003

I suspect that a reason for this is that the WSJ reports to people who expect to hold power brokers responsible, ie, shareholders

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's not a right/left thing, it's a "wealthy successful people are better than you because they work harder, or at least we're trying to suggest that" thing. that crosses all party lines

Apr 7, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

it's not a right/left thing, it's a "wealthy successful people are better than you because they work harder, or at least we're trying to suggest that" thing. that crosses all party lines

What's the source article for this image anyway, I've never seen contect for it (and it doesn't cover anyone below 96th percentile)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887323689604578220132665726040

Apr 7, 2003

lmao the author is literally applying the personal exemption as a meaningful deduction for people making $300k+

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

"no more mothers working from home! i'm a mother* and i make it work, so you can too**!"

*literally has a $100,000 nursery installed beside her office and employs a full-time nanny

**the nursery is not for use by other mothers

she also canned the yahoo daycare benefit the minute her personal nursery was finished

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

The fact that there's a generic "meetings" item that covers more time than every other single item on that chart that might be considered work combined is pretty damning.

leading and attending meetings is the core job task of an executive. pretty much nothing else on the chart can be considered work.

"working alone" is surely browsing Wikipedia and reading trade rags, because what can an exec actually do on his own that an analyst or subordinate manager couldn't do better?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Citizen Tayne posted:

The fact that there's a generic "meetings" item that covers more time than every other single item on that chart that might be considered work combined is pretty damning.

i think that's supposed to be the legit part of the graph. a boss is someone who meets with people, makes decisions and delegates all the real work. the 6 hours working alone, is mostly just reading poo poo for meetings and jerking it.

Apr 7, 2003

Tokamak posted:

i think that's supposed to be the legit part of the graph. a boss is someone who meets with people, makes decisions and delegates all the real work. the 6 hours working alone, is mostly just reading poo poo for meetings and jerking it.

I would assume it'd be more specific. You can cram a LOT of poo poo into "meetings"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

that group found that the more a ceo spent in meetings with their employees, the better the firm performed

Apr 7, 2003

that group found that the more a ceo spent in meetings with their employees, the better the firm performed

The more time a CEO spent holding directors and middle managers accountable, the better a firm did. no surprise.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Citizen Tayne posted:

haha, yeah, excuse me while I live in a place that doesn't have any snow for twelve months of the year.

yeah, it's pretty awesome

a drat sight better than Pittsburgh

and I've lived in Pittsburgh in multiple summers and winters, you can't claim I just don't know the joy of all its bridges or non-Euclidean geography

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Citizen Tayne posted:

I just bought a 1800 square foot house for $119,900

because you're someplace nobody in their right mind wants to live

I bet they argue your salary down because of "cost of living" too, when they should be paying you more to head off jumping ship for a better offer in a nicer part of the country (which is most of it)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it's impossible to argue that pittsburgh has better weather than anywhere else in the us, yet tori does it

most cloudy city in the us

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

what is a ceo's schedule even like? does she count three hour "working" lunches and poo poo like that?

SJ usually got in around 9 and left around 7. I gather he got online again after the kids went to bed.

Apr 7, 2003

eschaton posted:

I, too, marginalize people who disagree with me by claiming that they're mentally ill.

Pittsburgh has a lot of problems. Those problems don't include a lack of fresh water or housing costs that are in excess of the family median income to start with.

Apr 7, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

I, too, marginalize people who disagree with me by claiming that they're mentally ill.

Pittsburgh has a lot of problems. Those problems don't include a lack of fresh water or housing costs that are in excess of the family median income to start with.

Actually nevermind, I was wrong, Pittsburgh is poo poo. Don't move here. It isn't 65 F year round. It sucks bad. Don't ever imagine moving here.

it's impossible to argue that pittsburgh has better weather than anywhere else in the us, yet tori does it

most cloudy city in the us

You're right, having clouds is total poo poo trash and sucks. Don't ever come to Pittsburgh. We have clouds.

Apr 7, 2003

eschaton posted:

I bet they argue your salary down because of "cost of living" too, when they should be paying you more to head off jumping ship for a better offer in a nicer part of the country (which is most of it)

By the way, this is a really cool post because it's what people who live in a shithole where they could never hope to own property post. It's the post of the Iowan who moved to Brooklyn.

The Iowan who moved to Brooklyn lacks the generational wealth that locals have and can never purchase local property, but needs to make other people see that he made the right choice, so he posts dopey inflammatory poo poo like this.

Pittsburgh is one of America's largest and most important media markets.

It is an important social and economic hub.

I can buy a house 3.5 miles from downtown for $120K because the people with money and power here are 55 year olds who don't understand why someone might want to live close to a city center, and so they undervalue the city center properties.

This makes people mad for some reason. lmao

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

clouds can make you hella depressed and idt any amount of affordable real estate can change that

Apr 7, 2003

clouds can make you hella depressed and idt any amount of affordable real estate can change that

Clouds can make you depressed, and too much sunlight can give you cancer.

Life is full of trade-offs.

Apr 7, 2003

I absolutely cannot believe how mad people get about Pittsburgh every time anything about Pittsburgh is posted.

Apr 7, 2003

eschaton posted:

yeah, it's pretty awesome

a drat sight better than Pittsburgh

and I've lived in Pittsburgh in multiple summers and winters, you can't claim I just don't know the joy of all its bridges or non-Euclidean geography

I forgot to quote this.

Please tell me where you lived at in Pittsburgh.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Citizen Tayne posted:

Of course it's meaningless, and I'm waiting for necc0 to respond to what I've said and explain why he's championing a working culture he's never once worked in, but he won't do it.

i actually have worked on both coasts

Apr 7, 2003

Necc0 posted:

i actually have worked on both coasts

When did you work on the west coast? Last time I checked, you were 24-26 and worked for three employers.

What is so admirable about west coast employers that you want to see that poo poo here?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
its dumb to defend regional honor. everywhere's poo poo in one way or another.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
i'm 27 and have worked at a bunch of places. i worked a summer internship over in embarcadero it was pretty- sorry- hella sweet

anyways the elements i admired were the companies that recognized their work was primarily intellectual and didn't have enforced work hours or require anything of you really besides getting poo poo done. so some people came in at 10 sat in a corner and cranked poo poo out then left at 2 while others were there from sun up to sun down because they liked to just bullshit with people all day and it's how they worked best. no one cared and no one kept score of who was coming in and leaving when. if anyone bragged about working 130 hours they probably wouldn't last long at least where i was

that won't catch on other places because the culture of needing to control the peons has been too deeply ingrained.

Apr 7, 2003

fits my needs posted:

its dumb to defend regional honor. everywhere's poo poo in one way or another.

I want to see what he says about what I asked, because I have been posting on this forum since he was in high school and I live about two miles from where he grew up.

He's been posting here in pretty elaborate detail about where he's worked and what he's done since he graduated college, so the fact that he loves the west coast "work ethic" is a real fuckin' mindblower to me.

Apr 7, 2003

Necc0 posted:

i'm 27 and have worked at a bunch of places. i worked a summer internship over in embarcadero it was pretty sweet- sorry- hella sweet

anyways the elements i admired were the companies that recognized their work was primarily intellectual and didn't have enforced work hours or require anything of you really besides getting poo poo done. so some people came in at 10 sat in a corner and cranked poo poo out then left at 2 while others were there from sun up to sun down because they liked to just bullshit with people all day and it's how they worked best. no one cared and no one kept score of who was coming in and leaving when. if anyone bragged about working 130 hours they probably wouldn't last long at least where i was

that won't catch on other places because the culture of needing to control the peons has been too deeply ingrained.

What company did you intern for in the Embarcadero, and what was the time period you interned for them?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Citizen Tayne posted:

What company did you intern for in the Embarcadero, and what was the time period you interned for them?

p. sure i sent you my resume before it should be on there ;-*

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Necc0 posted:

i'm 27 and have worked at a bunch of places. i worked a summer internship over in embarcadero it was pretty- sorry- hella sweet

you're an idiot if you don't think this is a thing on a company to company basis rather than "west coast culture" or whatever. maybe you just worked for lovely companies on the east coast?

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
uh oh, looks like tori got into the booze stash again, he's drunk rage posting

Apr 7, 2003

Necc0 posted:

p. sure i sent you my resume before it should be on there ;-*

You have never sent me your resume and you don't know my name or where I live or work IRL.

Apr 7, 2003

Beast of Bourbon posted:

uh oh, looks like tori got into the booze stash again, he's drunk rage posting

haha, look at this guy I owned over and over again crying about it

Apr 7, 2003

fits my needs posted:

you're an idiot if you don't think this is a thing on a company to company basis rather than "west coast culture" or whatever. maybe you just worked for lovely companies on the east coast?

He has had repeated lovely experiences with bad companies on the east coast and he thinks he can fix all of his problems by jumping to the west coast. Read his post history.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

fits my needs posted:

no of course it isn't a hard & fast rule but i've worked at enough places that had offices on both coasts to notice a difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
that's right buddy, you sure "owned" me. why don't you put that 16th beer down and get some rest? might calm you down a bit.

• Locked thread