Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Boston is getting dumped 2-3 feet of snow tonight/tomorrow. It will be... A bit. I'm much less concerned with the timeline than you guys, my work schedule is hell and it's been in the ground for 31 years already.

Urban, I don't think the boy is an exact match, I think it differs slightly but enough from some of the other 'statue' matches to make me curious, but there is a lot pointing to Lafayette, including its adjacency to the French Q and more tellingly the Hotel. Boring I know because it's been the go-to answer for years now and nobody has pushed it past that.

I'll save tony homo the trouble though: there is no blizzard, I'm making it up because I broke my gay wrist giving gay handjobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

xie posted:

Boston is getting dumped 2-3 feet of snow tonight/tomorrow. It will be... A bit. I'm much less concerned with the timeline than you guys, my work schedule is hell and it's been in the ground for 31 years already.

Urban, I don't think the boy is an exact match, I think it differs slightly but enough from some of the other 'statue' matches to make me curious, but there is a lot pointing to Lafayette, including its adjacency to the French Q and more tellingly the Hotel. Boring I know because it's been the go-to answer for years now and nobody has pushed it past that.

I'll save tony homo the trouble though: there is no blizzard, I'm making it up because I broke my gay wrist giving gay handjobs.

You wouldn't be digging until the spring anyways without a pick axe. Pick a nice day in April.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

xie posted:

hahgay.com

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

xie posted:

On the other hand, this is probably the only time that the BPD would look the other way if you started shoveling in one of their parks. Of course, you'll be able to dig three feet down and probably still not actually hit ground :downsrim:

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."
Xie, you got a long way to go if you're still doin hand jobs....its gonna take a three foot job to yank one of these Nordic style puppies from their slumber. Nordic style...get it?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
Image 7 // Verse 2 // New Orleans

Crosspost from Q4T:

I believe the clock is not a complete photograph, but is very likely this clock, located at the Whitney Bank headquarters on St. Charles Ave in New Orleans, across the street from the St. Louis Exchange Hotel's location and down the street from Lafayette Square.

There are certain tells. Look at the corner of the clock and look at the corners of our painting's clock. See how the circle that comprises the clock face "pops out" at the very top? The clock pictured here does the same thing. And the small bands between the "arrows" and the outer clock face are duplicated as well.

It isn't a perfect 100% copy, but there are enough stylistic components, and the "IV" could be due to JJP changing the clock face from western numerals to roman numerals. It's adjacency to two major parts of this hunt is very compelling. There are elements surrounding it that I'd like pictures of, they're for my next trip to NOLA.

I'd be very surprised if this isn't a straightforward jaunt toward Lafayette Sq by way of the French Quarter -> Canal St -> St Charles Ave. As I posted in the verse 2 thread, the French Quarter is 15 streets aligned in perfect rows or grids.

Here is a shot I took of the horse on the Jackson statue back at Jackson Square. I fail to see how the horse/LA outline in Image #7 is anything else, the open mouth is a complete giveaway, as are the flared nostrils, ear position, etc.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

I have never liked this match. I need more than the statue's limbs are arranged similarly to the depicted figure's. The depicted legs are not standing but waving behind him, his arm is at a different angle, pulled up near his head. I would write all that off if they even looked a little more similar but they don't. I see a hat on the depicted figure but not on the statue. By itself I have a hard time pairing those two. There's no way it's a bonafide polaroid. If an artist reproduced that statue to appear like it does in the puzzle picture, it's like they did it from a bad written/spoken description instead of a picture of the thing.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Take this avatar, rotate it 180 degrees, mirror it, mark a point from the tip of the dogs noses and you will see it will line up to this image of the centaurs tail "exactly."

I thought this had some traction, It's the Maison Blanche mascot in the form of a parade float, though it's probably more important to consider the boy is 1)flying/floating, 2) he's dressed like a horse jockey, and 3) he's facing 9 o'clock.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
did you find the treausre OP?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I've never been 100% sold on that statue but I'm almost certain it can be lined up in a better way than the photo there. But yes, there are actually significant differences in how the limbs are arranged. Standing vs. floating not so much, but the position of the arms is probably pretty important.

On the other hand, it's really drat close, can possibly be fixed with a better angle, is in a park that's shaped a lot like the image, really close to the French Quarter, with 3 statues in it, right down the street from the St Louis Exchange Hotel.

I'm all for "Polaroids" and I think that's very important, but on the other hand...

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

xie posted:

I've never been 100% sold on that statue but I'm almost certain it can be lined up in a better way than the photo there. But yes, there are actually significant differences in how the limbs are arranged. Standing vs. floating not so much, but the position of the arms is probably pretty important.

On the other hand, it's really drat close, can possibly be fixed with a better angle, is in a park that's shaped a lot like the image, really close to the French Quarter, with 3 statues in it, right down the street from the St Louis Exchange Hotel.

I'm all for "Polaroids" and I think that's very important, but on the other hand...

The tough part is we don't know what was close enough or wasn't, as intentioned by Priess. We've only found two, so we can take those matches as examples but that's far from plurality of the possible evidence we could use to evaluate if, based on matches we know, a pairing of two things is close enough or not. We can't reliably deduce a range yet, I would say.

From pure gut check however, if I was making a puzzle, and needed my artist to use that statue in my symbolic puzzle picture and that's what I got, I would not like it. If I asked myself "Am I doing a good job at making a puzzle that people will enjoy and be able to solve?" I would answer "No."

xie
Jul 29, 2004

quote:

From pure gut check however, if I was making a puzzle, and needed my artist to use that statue in my symbolic puzzle picture and that's what I got, I would not like it. If I asked myself "Am I doing a good job at making a puzzle that people will enjoy and be able to solve?" I would answer "No."

I'm actually not sure that's a valid point (at all) regarding these puzzles...

We have only solved 2, but we've solved elements of some of the other puzzles. There are a few specific matches we have in other puzzles that can help us here.

I also have the solution to another one, I just haven't dug it up yet. :) So that's 3.

I think I should have spent some time at Lafayette Sq. It wouldn't entirely surprise me for the jockey figure to end up being a combination of 2 or more statues, or disgused as a jockey by changing the clothes. In Boston the gypsy's arms are 2 statues, but neither is actually a Gypsy. One is a politician holding a book, the other is Patton in an army uniform. But the hand positions/gestures are exact, or as exact as you're going to get given the odd angles you can take photos from, 1981 Polaroid technology, etc.

If someone can line up the boy's arms better with the one in the painting it works well enough for me to at least continue investigating, especially given the proximity to everything else. And I say this as someone who went to NOLA 100% against that image.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

xie, while in NOLA, did you happen to take a look at the Morazan statue?

I have a new theory on why the purple checkers in the background aren't drawn as simple straight lines. It's obviously not intended to be a rigid surface, so something has to explain the deformations. I think the idea is to hint of a fabric.

I'm now considering that the 4th line of Verse 2 might involve looking for hems. A suit has two main hem points, the end of the sleeves and the end of the pants.

From end to end is maybe BP's subtlety in saying "from hem to hem".

I believe there's a mirrored site match between the hem of the purple arm sleeve and Morazan's pants.

FYI, the Morazan statue is approx 3 blocks southwest of the Louis Armstrong park. I know that park has been heavily altered over the years, but I'm pretty sure this old statue of Louis was there somewhere. Maybe the costume mask in the image is the best hint for the part of NOLA you should begin searching.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 4, 2015

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Why is that stick-figure guy wearing a suit and praising the sun?

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

xie posted:

Image 7 // Verse 2 // New Orleans

Crosspost from Q4T:

I believe the clock is not a complete photograph, but is very likely this clock, located at the Whitney Bank headquarters on St. Charles Ave in New Orleans, across the street from the St. Louis Exchange Hotel's location and down the street from Lafayette Square.

There are certain tells. Look at the corner of the clock and look at the corners of our painting's clock. See how the circle that comprises the clock face "pops out" at the very top? The clock pictured here does the same thing. And the small bands between the "arrows" and the outer clock face are duplicated as well.

It isn't a perfect 100% copy, but there are enough stylistic components, and the "IV" could be due to JJP changing the clock face from western numerals to roman numerals. It's adjacency to two major parts of this hunt is very compelling. There are elements surrounding it that I'd like pictures of, they're for my next trip to NOLA.

I'd be very surprised if this isn't a straightforward jaunt toward Lafayette Sq by way of the French Quarter -> Canal St -> St Charles Ave. As I posted in the verse 2 thread, the French Quarter is 15 streets aligned in perfect rows or grids.

Here is a shot I took of the horse on the Jackson statue back at Jackson Square. I fail to see how the horse/LA outline in Image #7 is anything else, the open mouth is a complete giveaway, as are the flared nostrils, ear position, etc.

These are genuinely less convincing than Urban Smurf's matches.

Viruswithshoes
Mar 26, 2007

The Supreme Court posted:

These are genuinely less convincing than Urban Smurf's matches.

Agreed. That is just a clock and a horse.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot
The weather is warming up and can't wait for the digging. Any eta on the big day?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Tony Homo posted:

The weather is warming up and can't wait for the digging. Any eta on the big day?

Is this a joke I can't even tell.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

BigFactory posted:

Is this a joke I can't even tell.

It's over 80 in Bangkok. Must be nice in Boston, too.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

3 feet of standing snow and another 11-18" due from sun-tue. It's pretty nice out, yeah. lots of shoveling action.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

xie posted:

3 feet of standing snow and another 11-18" due from sun-tue. It's pretty nice out, yeah. lots of shoveling action.

Im noticing a lot of white in the pictures. Maybe Preiss is suggesting a cask buried in snow somewhere?

Please investigate and report back for Tony Homo.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

xie posted:

looks like it's time for the perfect crime. start digging and place a white sheet over the hole you're digging to camouflage yourself from the authorities.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Urban Smurf posted:

Tungsten halogen lamps is where its at.

:agreed:

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

I have a theory that the secret behind using M and B in the first line of the Chicago verse is the sound of the letters, BEE-EMM, sounds like "beam". The last line of the verse is simply one word, "Hush," and I believe that is a hint for "Hold your TUNG." Thats further indication that Tungsten park lamps may hold a special purpose in lining up the cask in Grant Park.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Urban Smurf posted:

I have a theory that the secret behind using M and B in the first line of the Chicago verse is the sound of the letters, BEE-EMM, sounds like "beam". The last line of the verse is simply one word, "Hush," and I believe that is a hint for "Hold your TUNG." Thats further indication that Tungsten park lamps may hold a special purpose in lining up the cask in Grant Park.

Please tell me you aren't serious.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Urban Smurf posted:

:sax:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is Urban Smurf the ultimate try hard troll or just insane?

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Waltzing Along posted:

ya

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Waltzing Along posted:

Yep, you got it.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

Tony Homo posted:

Please tell me you aren't serious.

I am. The idea stems from the instruction to "follow the sounds of rumble," as R-M-B-L.

I think "Hold your tongue," is a slight improvement over my previous idea that "Hush" could indicate some sort of vertical pipe, "pipe down," (be quiet). Either way, there's no way to confirm any of this. Its just an exercise in looking further into the possible ways in which the puzzle couldve been designed. The Chicago finders never gave any indication that they solved the puzzle as intended. They just got lucky and Preiss fed them the details.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 10, 2015

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I just rated this thread 5 in case I haven't in the past.

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

I think Alcoholics Anonymous inspired Preiss for the Morazan statue across the street from the cemetery. The first page of chapter 1 of talks about Bill W. reading the incscription on a soldiers tombstone. The 12 o'clock setting on the clock could be seen as symbolic of the infamous 12 step program. The story continues to talks about his visit to a hospital where he underwent the belladonna cure. Belladonna seems like a good fit to the flowers on the clock. Also, the Morazan statue plaque for the Gateway to the Americas is an exact match to the A.A. triangle-in-circle symbol on the cover of the book.

I'm still curious if xie had a look at this area on Basin St. Near the Louis Armstrong Park.

Urban Smurf fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 14, 2015

Urban Smurf
Jun 12, 2013

GWBBQ posted:

I just rated this thread 5 in case I haven't in the past.

GWBBQ, you might like this.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
I love you Urban Smurf. Never stop.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Rondette posted:

I love you Urban Smurf. Never stop.

Urban Smurf appears to be deliberately trolling at this point. He may have been serious about some of his insane ideas at some point, but he's gradually turned into a parody of himself as a joke. Unfortunately, he's not really trying any more. His latest posts have nowhere near the insane greatness of his earlier stuff.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Did we solve it?

xie
Jul 29, 2004

Yes but its buried under 3-4 feet of snow so gotta wait

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

xie posted:

Yes but its buried under 3-4 feet of snow so gotta wait
can you link / quote the posts where you guys figured it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I honestly think I do a poor job of explaining it over the internet. Describing this stuff isn't my forte, and I openly admit that the vast majority of the solve was done by someone else.

It's really easy to explain in person with Google Maps and a few images, or by walking it. But search my posts in this thread and you'll find it. Ignore almost every other post besides the Boston stuff. On every other puzzle i don't know any more than anyone else (which is pretty close to nothing overall).