Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
I am also totally down for this. I've got nothing going on on Friday.

doublehex168 at gmail dot com is my email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Unfortunately Friday is when I'm running my playtest session, so I can't join in.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I'm pretty happy that the Pelgrane Press guys released some Dragon riding rules,since on of my players put that he was an aspiring dragon rider into his Backgrounds, so Iit'sless work for me if he pushes the issue when he runs into a dragon that isn't trying to claw his face off. I do like that one of the other riding options they mentioned was riding dinosaurs, since not only do I love dinosaurs and the riding thereov, but another player put in her background that she was a dinosaur hunter/wrangler. And I've hopefully got a kaijuu fight coming up. Really the timing of this little supplement couldn't be more perfect, honestly.

Almighty Words
Jun 22, 2012

Maybe it's Maybe Lean.
I am also down time permitting as I have a game of 13th age to run on that day as well. email me at sonicx012001@ gmail.com with the time/time zone.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

-Fish- posted:

So yeah, I've reviewed the playtest document and I can run on Friday if anyone wants to. I can run for 4 people on Roll20 as long as everyone has a functioning mic.
Im down too. If you don't have enough people.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

MadScientistWorking posted:

Im down too. If you don't have enough people.

What's your email?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

-Fish- posted:

What's your email?
madcapmachinations at gmail.com

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 6, 2015

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
I sent a PM about it, too. Do you need more than that?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

I'm limiting myself to 4 players, but I'll be running again next week. Other than Friday my weekend is totally booked up. I've got PMs from a couple people including Mighty, I've got you guys penciled in for next time.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
So I'm working on an alternate set of icons for my homebrew setting. So far:

The Lord of the Crossroads: Ambiguous dealmaker, patron of necromancers, generally a chill skeleton in a tophat.
The Twin Singers: Priestesses from a long line of sacred singers who serve in the temple of song; their music keeps giant monsters resting properly until it doesn't. Also recently become center of a music industry with bards fighting to become their backup band because "Music that soothes monsters" is really awesome-sounding to people.
The Vagabond King: may or may not be the ghost or still living ruler of an empire that just vanishes from everyone's memory one day, now king of the hobos.
The Mother of Monsters: You know how Owlbears, bulletes, monkey bees, and so on have an origin of "A Wizard did it?" It's her. She's the wizard.
The Hard Man: Made many hard decisions, which include "Replace own body with animated suit of armor". Possibly the creator of the Forgeborn. Tin Woodsman meets Jack Bauer, with a side order of the Crusader.
The Regency Council: The main kingdom has no king, and hasn't for decades, because the last one died heirless and no one's managed settle on the singular noble line to take over. Which is fine with the guys who are supposed to choose the next ruler, because in the meantime they can accumulate personal power and be jerks.

Still debating what PC races will be, and if there will be race-based icons like the dwarf king, elf queen, and orc lord, but doing the writeups for these has been fun.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

unseenlibrarian posted:

The Twin Singers: Priestesses from a long line of sacred singers who serve in the temple of song; their music keeps giant monsters resting properly until it doesn't. Also recently become center of a music industry with bards fighting to become their backup band because "Music that soothes monsters" is really awesome-sounding to people.

Immediately thought of the sisters from Nier. Man that game had a great soundtrack.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Huh, the Mother of Monsters is how I ended up doing the Blue based on the player who is associated with the Blue wanting to turn Drakkenhall into a less insane Rapture. He wanted magic genetic engineering and new species/designer creatures being created in a fabulous underwater city by the Blue, as well as a place for existing monsters to live, and what setting couldn't use more Fabulous Underwater Cities? So we sunk Drakenhall and put a magic dome around it and gave the Blue splicing magic.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Nier and the Mothra fairies are pretty much the direct inspiration for the Twins, yeah.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Speaking of alternate Icons, 13th Age's background thingies has really made me more good with tweaking the setting. I've already done some "Great Pirate Age" stuff for a One Piece game (One Piece comes with tons of Icon like figures already), and my players and I joked about the "23rd Age" the other day, which I imagine to be a kind of future cyberpunk fantasy thing, kind of like Shadowrun but far more of a D&D teched up, rather than the real world fantasied up. I imagine Paladin's riding motorcycles and cyborg wizards and silly stuff like that. Given who I am, there'd probably end up being a lot of Akira and Final Fantasy 7 in it, as well as your Gibson and Stephenson.

Thinking on it, the major change I can think of, in regards to Icons is that in fantasy settings like the 13th Age default, the Authority is generally seen as a good thing that is supported by heroes. Civilisation is a force of good, with evil coming in from corrupted institutions of order and from the barbarian outlands, monstrous races like the orc represent the Other, etc etc. In cyberpunk, the Man is the enemy, counterculture, the criminal classes and the downtrodden are the heroes, you want to be the Other. Since the idea is to create a futured up 13th Age, working off of the prexisting Icons rather than making new ones seems the way to go, with the hero/antagonist role flipped for a lot of cases. A lot of the Icons could use a neat cyberpunkish flavoured update, to incorporate some of those setting elements as well as the fantasy base. The Emperor, for example, would probably be The President, in charge of either the government or a huge Megacorp or both, the Prince of Shadows becomes an untraceable master hacker, a Laughing Man type figure, the Archmage is probably some kind of Panopticon AI that runs all of The Company's stuff on the Net.

Anyway, aside from what kind of cool cyberpunk Icons you guys think would fit, what sort of crazy bending the setting tweaks have you guys all came up with? How far can you stretch the 13th Age system to fit other kinds of games?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I remember tossing around some Space Opera 33rd Age icons (in this thread, maybe? Somewhere online), with my personal touch being elves who instead of being a long lived race were an artistic collective/organization/philosophy who very carefully measured their artificially extended lifespans from growing too long because their major tenant was that death and the knowledge of death is the spark that makes Art arise from rote artifice. The Liche disagreed, which was awkward because he came up with the whole thing in the first place and really to the naked eye his 'works' and some of the more bleeding edge elven pieces were pretty similar. The Dwarf King equivalent was a semi-benevolent Unicron who's subjects grew wealthy by him literally giving of himself. Everything will be okay so long as The Living Planet does not transform to robot mode.

Edit: Also a 23rd Age game would totally have a Prince of Shadowrunners.

Doublehex
Jan 29, 2009

Quoth the raven, `Nevermore.'
While we're on the topic of Icons for our settings, I just finished laying out the Icons for my Savage Age setting. Take a read and tell me what you guys think about them.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-HhnLdq14qEVVBkZzFqVExvNlk/view?usp=sharing

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Any suggestions for improving Breath of the White? It just seems to sorta suck for a Daily.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
My simple idea was 2 targets at levels 1 and 3, 3 at levels 5 and 7, and 4 at level 9. Set numbers of targets would give the spell something unique over most aoe spells.

e: Since it doesn't have any feats, maybe a champion one to add +1 target and an epic one to add another +1 target.

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 7, 2015

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Looking at the Multiclassing rules, I'm not seeing why a Fighter wouldn't want to Multi in Paladin. Like, ever. Am I just misreading something or does it mostly just get him Smite and more access to better defenses?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

You'd be one level behind on known maneuvers, your attacks are governed by the lower of strength and charisma (so you pumping strength to 20 through racial choice won't help and being forced to go with 18 CHA will dump some of your secondary scores, leaving you with less for HP and defenses) and maybe you really want to start at level 1 with three fighter talents? Except for those it's a pretty good deal, yeah.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Wait, ALL attacks use the lower? It says that if both attacks would use the same stat, you use the same stat, so wouldn't your Basic attacks still use Str?

They could maybe have written Key Attribute a little more unclearly, but it would've taken some effort.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Night10194 posted:

Wait, ALL attacks use the lower? It says that if both attacks would use the same stat, you use the same stat, so wouldn't your Basic attacks still use Str?

They could maybe have written Key Attribute a little more unclearly, but it would've taken some effort.

The way multiclassing works is that you look in the big chart of them in True Ways. You line up the two classes and find where they intersect. In this case Paladin/Fighter gets STR/CHA. But what does that mean? Well in essence wherever in either of the classes it says to use Strength or Charisma, you use the lower of the two. So since the attacks use Strength, it uses the lower of Strength or Charisma. Calculating how many smite evils you have uses Charisma. So for that you use the lower of Charisma or Strength.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Night10194 posted:

Whenever something calls for a Key Modifier, which is given by what intersection of classes you're using, you use the lower of the two, always. Yes, Basic Melee uses Str in both circumstances, but the key modifiers for a Fighter/Paladin is Str/Cha so you must use the lower of the two. As such, most multiclassing characters will want an 18 in 2 stats, their key modifiers. This is also why you never roll for stats in 13th Age.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Multiclassing looks like it isn't really worth bothering with. Honestly, most of the stuff in 13 True Ways just feels sloppier than the main book. Druid's a mess, Chaos Mage is the standard monkeycheese caster, Occultist has a cool concept but feels too passive about it, only Commander really looks interesting, and multiclassing is just weird.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
you missed mentioning the necromancer which is in fact the best class ever.

speaking of, https://www.dropbox.com/sh/067o8ieyfqurz02/AAAt4f6R11yICyRLyVPPijX_a?dl=0

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Night10194 posted:

Multiclassing looks like it isn't really worth bothering with. Honestly, most of the stuff in 13 True Ways just feels sloppier than the main book. Druid's a mess, Chaos Mage is the standard monkeycheese caster, Occultist has a cool concept but feels too passive about it, only Commander really looks interesting, and multiclassing is just weird.

It's less 'not worth bothering' and more 'useful for a handful of very specialized niche builds.'

Which, honestly, doesn't really bother me that much, since there's really not a huge amount of need for it to exist from a fluff standpoint, and the builds it enables that couldn't be made before are often pretty rad, even if there are very few of them.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
There are some multiclassing options that work really well but there are a lot that just lead you to be a less effective version of both classes. Necromancer and Commander are both super good, Chaos Mage is a super solid class for people who enjoy the unexpected, being random and fun without stealing the show or messing with everyone else (for the most part), Monk has one good build but is a lot of wasted potential and missed opportunity (and it in fact steadily got more boring and worse as playtesting progressed which is not what should happen) and Druid should really be two classes. Occultist is in a lot of ways just a worse commander and in a lot of other ways pretty bad or weird (dictating your choice of OUT, only being able to do 1 interrupt per turn on most turns causing a lot of hesitation and wasted opportunity, having to pay super close attention to every action getting draining). In general, yeah, True Ways is a lot less put together than the main book.

Really good multiclasses include:

Cleric and almost anything, ditto for Commander though Commander leans more toward melee classes.

Ranger/fighter Super Archer. Combining the ranged specializations of both of these classes gives you a right monster, and you're left with enough extra maneuvers to keep yourself fairly competitive in Melee as well. Plus you get enough ranger talents that you can either get crit fishing or get an animal buddy to add onto everything else. Only real problem with this is it gets feat hungry later on, and you super wanna be a human for the extra adventurer feat.

Sorcerer/Wizard is the ultimate blaster, the power to evoke and empower a wizard daily (even if it's only once per day in most cases) is enough to wreak havoc on any boss encounter, destroying mook pools and small enemies alike or knocking off three quarters of the boss' health in one attack. Even when you're not doing that, you've got tons of dailies, recharges and encounter powers from both of your classes to keep you going basically forever.

Bard/Ranger Serial College Dropout Take Spelljack for your Bard talent, Fey Queen's Heritage and Ranger ex Cathedral for your ranger talent and cast spells from every class in the game. Take Animal Companion as you level to represent your current part-time at druid school!

If you ever have a druid that wants an animal companion it's better for them to multiclass Ranger because then they can have two adept level talents (and an extra ranger skill!) plus better defenses.

Generally for multiclassing you either want to go into one of the simpler classes for extra talents and stuff or make sure that you can be using both classes abilities on most turns so that you're not really giving up one thing for another.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

In a small party I went Rogue/Bard and while I was less effective at being either a Rogue or a Bard than a pure character the breadth of options helped out. The party as a whole was probably better off than if I went full into either class. Well, maybe not if I went full Bard because Bard is a great class, but I wanted to sneak attack people, darn it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Twibbit posted:

you missed mentioning the necromancer which is in fact the best class ever.

speaking of, https://www.dropbox.com/sh/067o8ieyfqurz02/AAAt4f6R11yICyRLyVPPijX_a?dl=0

Yes, I forgot the Necromancer, which is a lot of fun.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Paladin/Cleric is a hilariously good tank.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Since the dragon riding rules are out, I took a shot at making some other things to ride: http://goo.gl/w0aBRw. Featuring the Friendly Pony, the Skelephant, and a vague suggestion at how to use the riding mechanics for npcs.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm curious. Are there any fan-made classes that fulfill the Magic Swordsman or Mystic Knight concept pretty well? I suspect they didn't put something like that in the core book primarily because there's a bit less of a hard distinction between powers and magic in this system than there is in, say, 3.PF and they worried it might come out looking too similar to Cleric or Bard.

I'm also finding the game to be pretty easy to adjust in tone for the two games I'm running. In one, Inquisitors and Templars are struggling against terrible cults and horrific happenings with a much more 'badass dark fantasy' vibe to it, in the other they fought a transforming Tactical Armored Newt-Kraken (TANK) and hunt the Krampus while bumbling about on a tour of the Dragon Empire, and the system works for both. I just have to adjust how hard the party gets pushed between rests and how things get described. The only real similarity between the two is that the PCs are still people with the potential to be legendary badasses in both.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 8, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Night10194 posted:

I'm curious. Are there any fan-made classes that fulfill the Magic Swordsman or Mystic Knight concept pretty well? I suspect they didn't put something like that in the core book primarily because there's a bit less of a hard distinction between powers and magic in this system than there is in, say, 3.PF and they worried it might come out looking too similar to Cleric or Bard.

I'm also finding the game to be pretty easy to adjust in tone for the two games I'm running. In one, Inquisitors and Templars are struggling against terrible cults and horrific happenings with a much more 'badass dark fantasy' vibe to it, in the other they fought a transforming Tactical Armored Newt-Kraken (TANK) and hunt the Krampus while bumbling about on a tour of the Dragon Empire, and the system works for both. I just have to adjust how hard the party gets pushed between rests and how things get described. The only real similarity between the two is that the PCs are still people with the potential to be legendary badasses in both.

If you're interested in sword mages, there is The Dilettante and The Eldritch Knight. Since I have used neither, I can attest to the quality of neither.

On the subject of multiclassing, I think there are some combos that, while being less effective than either class, might still be fun in their own way.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Rogue/Ranger and it's Str/Dex key attribute means that Deadly Thrust (where the attack roll is level+dex+str) suddenly becomes more potent than it would be for anyone with a normal stat distribution. You could take animal companion and then be able to lone wolf it up and not need to count on any allies when you want to sneak attack (your animal companion would be a literal lone wolf). For the rogue talent I guess you'd go Murderous since if you're going to lean on Deadly Thrust you want to be attacking staggered foes all the time anyway.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Murderous+Improved Sneak Attack makes for excellent killstealing times.

Covok
May 27, 2013

If we're sharing builds, as a backup for a game I'm in, I decided to stat up what I call a Death Knight (Necromancer/Paladin). By saying "gently caress attack spells" and focusing solely on summons and forms, I was able to circumvent Wasting Away since a positive constitution modifier didn't hurt me. Paladin defenses still gave me a decent defense spread and my HP and to-hit bonus are still decent. Damage is a bit low, but Smite Evil helps out. Unfortunately, I can't focus too much on getting additional Smites. Summons look like they'll be helpful and give me more options while a minion exists for more reliable ally. Cackling Soliquist serves to make my summons more re-usable. The build seems to really come into itself around 4-5th level (which is the level we're at in the game this is a back-up for) when you start getting 3rd level spells as there aren't enough summons and form spells at 1st level.

All in all, it's definitely less effective than being either class, but, by sacrificing damage and tanky-ness, it seems like a decent "tough summoner."

Covok fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Feb 8, 2015

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Covok posted:

If we're sharing builds, as a backup for a game I'm in, I decided to stat up what I call a Death Knight (Necromancer/Paladin). By saying "gently caress attack spells" and focusing solely on summons and forms, I was able to circumvent Wasting Away since a positive constitution modifier didn't hurt me. Paladin defenses still gave me a decent defense spread and my HP and to-hit bonus are still decent.

I had a similar idea for a character. For me, Death Knell + Death's Call seems like it would make a fairly tanky Death Knight.

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Can someone clarify recharges for me, please? Is the following correct?

If you fail a recharge roll on a power or magical item, that power or item's power is unusable until the next full-heal. You don't get the chance to recharge after every fight, only the powers that were used in the fight that just finished.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

Captain_Indigo posted:

Can someone clarify recharges for me, please? Is the following correct?

If you fail a recharge roll on a power or magical item, that power or item's power is unusable until the next full-heal. You don't get the chance to recharge after every fight, only the powers that were used in the fight that just finished.

According to the glossary (p313 13A Core):

"After each battle, when you get a quick rest, you can roll for each of your used, rechargeable powers, including those used in a previous battle, to see if they recharge."

So you get to attempt to recharge them during each rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Earthorn posted:

According to the glossary (p313 13A Core):

"After each battle, when you get a quick rest, you can roll for each of your used, rechargeable powers, including those used in a previous battle, to see if they recharge."

So you get to attempt to recharge them during each rest.

Ah okay, because on page 286 of the core, it says:

"After the battle in which you’ve used an item’s power, roll a d20.
If your roll equals or exceeds the recharge number for that item,
you can use that item power again that day. If the roll fails, the
item power is expended until you take a full heal-up."