Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The bastard did steal my picnic basket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Have you considered changing menstrual cycles instead of antibiotics?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

How do you feel about wearing pants while on the rag?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Have you considered changing pants instead of sanitary napkins?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

No, I really meant it

ReindeerF posted:

If you keep giving her drugs for the morning sickness then the baby's gonna come out all funny-like.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If you need to know the sex I can consult a mor doo (fortune teller). I will need to know your date and exact time of birth as well as hers, but it shouldn't be a problem.

CronoGamer
May 15, 2004

why did this happen
Don't give him that information, then he'll hold power over you. My Cambodian coteacher told me all about the ways black magic works and urged me to make up a fake birthday. Don't let Reindeer gently caress you with his black magic.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I only want for help.

EDIT:

simplefish posted:

No, I really meant it
I joke, but now that you mention 4,000 Islands, my friend's extended family are from there. If you need a recommendation I can ask.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ReindeerF posted:

If you need to know the sex I can consult a mor doo (fortune teller). I will need to know your date and exact time of birth as well as hers, but it shouldn't be a problem.

How about mor don't mofakka

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
How about we do like the last two pages never existed?

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

caberham posted:

Well I plan to fly to BKK on the 20th for 3 days. Then off to KL on 23, and back to Hong Kong 28. Korean goon friend of mine is going to KL and that's why im meeting up with him there. But my heart is in Sinagpore :downsrim:

Any recommendations for out of town stuff?

I've got a day off on the 22nd and 28th :downs: Might be able to meet up in the evening if you're going to do something in the city centre (Bukit Bintang area).

Recommendations are going to depend a bit on what you like to do, I know you're a bit of a photoraphy guy so if you also like outdoors stuff FRIM is pretty close and worth a visit. Lots of pretty plants to take pictures of. I'm a terrible tourist so beyond that and traditional things like Batu Caves I don't have a lot of recommendations for 'authentic things' or stuff you probably can't do anywhere else. Recommendations I've had though are Ostrich Racing and the Elephant Sanctuary. If you're into Crystal Maze type stuff there's one of those type things called Breakout in the Avenue K mall by KLCC that's really good fun.

For evening things, most of my recommendations are going to be near Bukit Bintang. If the evening's nice, head to the Helibar around 6 to get an awesome view and amazing sunset, not really worth it any other time. No Black Tie has good live music usually, sometimes actual jazz in a self-proclaimed jazz bar! It's also close to Taps that has honest to god Craft beer on tap, I think it might be the only such bar in Malaysia. Finally there's been a recent trend for speak easy style cocktail bars, best one I've been to is Omakase, though getting a taxi driver to go these is far from easy.

Not sure how familiar you are with KL so tried to avoid giving all the basic tourist to-do list things. Haven't mentioned food at all. Also bear in mind most of these places are around the city centre so if you want to eat or drink cheaply you'll have to travel elsewhere. Still don't have any great recommendation for cheap Malay food since I always get recommended Kampung Baru and haven't found anythin great any time I've gone.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Hey man thanks for the effort post. I have been to kl a couple times so been to most of the areas. Anyways how's the 23 night for dinner? We are near kl cc.

Anyways keep in touch

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

caberham posted:

Hey man thanks for the effort post. I have been to kl a couple times so been to most of the areas. Anyways how's the 23 night for dinner? We are near kl cc.

Anyways keep in touch

I'm not on line or wechat groups so not sure of the best way to keep in touch but 23 works OK for me. Full disclosure though, it's a Monday night so I will drag you guys to a pub quiz if we meet then.

Andro
Jun 30, 2010

MrNemo posted:

I'm not on line or wechat groups so not sure of the best way to keep in touch but 23 works OK for me. Full disclosure though, it's a Monday night so I will drag you guys to a pub quiz if we meet then.

We're gonna have a baller team.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Asking for a friend: where's a decent place to get a tattoo in BKK?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Chantilly Say posted:

Asking for a friend: where's a decent place to get a tattoo in BKK?

I swear to god if this post doesn't lead to a half dozen goons getting the same "ironic" tattoo in two weeks I'm going to quit drinking Chang forever.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
I'm willing to be part of the half-dozen.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Things to do in southern Vietnam for a week?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Senso posted:

I'm willing to be part of the half-dozen.

I've been told there is a Goon mass migration to Bangkok around the 22nd.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've been told there is a Goon mass migration to Bangkok around the 22nd.

Imagine sea turtle babies crawling out from the sand and following the full moon into the sea- now imagine those sea turtles are all shirtless bogans in assless chaps

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Can anyone tell me if the name Felix means anything inappropriate in Vietnamese/Khmer/Thai/Lao?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Leave!

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
A friend of mine is looking for the name of the track played in this video.
The video was made in Cambodia, anyone?
Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeg8V4WEnMU

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Get hella drunk. Visit Ben Tre in the Mekong area. Eat hu tieu.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Go on...

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
A temple in Chiang Rai briefly banned Chinese tourists because they regularly gently caress up the bathrooms. They were allowed back in on the condition that if they do gently caress up the bathroom their tour guides have to clean up after them.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/469276/chinese-briefly-banned-at-white-temple

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I bet that's resulted in 100% less stops both before and after the ban, heh.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Just know I was rooting for you crazy Indo truckdriver:

http://i.imgur.com/QOVD61J.gifv

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
So my American bank card charges the standard 1% service fee but then uses the local bank's exchange rate. For Singapore / Thailand /Philippines are they pretty competitive or am I going to lose anywhere from 10-30% on the global rate?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Look: gently caress banks in general, and Thai banks in particular.

This is my first trip abroad where I actually do regret not just bringing a stack of Euro bills and finding the exchange office with the best rate.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DontAskKant posted:

So my American bank card charges the standard 1% service fee but then uses the local bank's exchange rate. For Singapore / Thailand /Philippines are they pretty competitive or am I going to lose anywhere from 10-30% on the global rate?

Thats not standard..my capitalone and chase cards don't charge a service fee. Change your bank nigga

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Tautologicus posted:

Thats not standard..my capitalone and chase cards don't charge a service fee. Change your bank nigga

Not my standard

Admiral101
Feb 20, 2006
RMU: Where using the internet is like living in 1995.
I'm looking to do some cycling in Cambodia this coming May or June. Anyone have any experience doing this, or can recommend any quality operators/guides?

Currently looking at http://www.cambodiacycling.com/biking_ancient_capitals.html as they seem the most organized/professional (local) operator that I've found so far.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
An acquaintance of mine runs SpiceRoads out of Bangkok, which I think is the largest regional operator now, and they're legit for sure. I know they contract with other bike agencies they've brought into the fold for some tours that run outside of Thailand, but I think they do Cambodia themselves.

Of course you could just do it yourself. I'm not sure your feelings on that, but it's completely possible. eviljelly did it and I helped him to a local bike shop that I like to start with. You can basically buy most of what you need here (I'd get panniers at home) for about 12-14K Baht and re-sell it for at least 50% after the trip. If you need advice planning a route a number of us can help on that.

Luffles
Jul 25, 2007

The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame
I'll be looking for an apt in bangkok tomorrow, any suggestions? I have a few locals showing me around but everyone knows goonvice is the best advice.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
If you can't walk to the skytrain in like 10 minutes find another place.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Korean Won to Philippines Pesos is the worst exchange rate I've seen. 33% loss.

Thai Baht was an 18% loss.

Got my fancy new Benjamins. Now to get an exchange office somewhere in Bangkok. I was exchanging in Seoul and got disoriented in a new Chinese section I haven't seen before a ended up paying a percent higher than a block north :(

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Why not just use your ATM?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
For finding housing in bkk last month:

My experience was that condos don't want to know you unless you sign a 6 month contract and I only wanted 2-3 tops.

The best value apartment I could find on a monthly basis was a new building near On Nut BTS for about 13k/mo. Furnished studio with new everything.

Stuff in lower Sukhumvit was way more expensive, like 22k for Soi 8.

If you are prepared to ride a motorbike there are more options but I'm not into Russian roulette.