Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

monster on a stick posted:

I've been wanting to watch Red Cliff but my knowledge of period Chinese history isn't exactly great. Am I going to be lost and should I read some Cliff Notes version of Romance of the Three Kingdoms first or just go in blind and enjoy John Woo making a five hour war epic?
The pretty much explain everything you need to know in the film, at least in the version for English-speaking audiences there are even descriptive captions whenever a new character is introduced. The story is pretty much straightforward regardless, if you could follow The Iliad/Troy you will be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
If you ever have to "prepare" for a movie, then the movie done hosed up.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I mean I have to mentally prepare for most Gaspar Noe films, but then I guess they are also pretty hosed up.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you ever have to "prepare" for a movie, then the movie done hosed up.
If the preparation is movie specific, yeah. But many films expect a certain cultural or historical knowledge and I don't think that's necessarily unreasonable.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

If the preparation is movie specific, yeah. But many films expect a certain cultural or historical knowledge and I don't think that's necessarily unreasonable.

Sure, but among the general crew here and people who are movie "fans", and not just mainstream viewers, I would assume that knowledge to be there, even to small degree. I mean, the fact that Monster on a Stick even thought to look up the Three Kingdoms stuff shows he's at least aware of the setting and rough plot outline.

Mainstream viewers would need to prepare for an Inspector Gadget movie.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

The original cut of Red Cliff is great if you don't mind subtitles and 4 hours 40 minutes of a movie.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Any opinions on Laz Diaz, I've only just heard of him but he sounds perfect as I admire both Tarr and Tarkovsky.

El Graplurado
Mar 24, 2004
I do backflips when you're not looking.
give up a day. Just let the images and the time effect wash over you. Don't worry about clinging on to every detail. Come out a changed person.

He is a lot more crude a filmmkaer than Tarr or Tarkovsky (though recently he has grown in this respect). Shooting on video, 'ugly' framing , 'ugly' editing, putting little things in to disrupt typical aesthetic pleasure; his narratives are looser to sometimes seeming non-existent, and when they are very existent they nearly take on soap opera or exploitation form. He is also a lot slower (slower than slow), but there's always something to look at even when there's not. And that's his effect: scene's of nothing and ugliness filling, shifting and unravelling to these epics on grace or the apocalypse. Just like Tarr and Tarkovsky. A test of time and patience but i think his is among the most rewarding in film today.

Thankfully he is also a very parochial filmmaker and knowing something about Filipino society and history may help with gluing things together (but i will say in my case it hasn't been essential). He doesn't fill in any blanks for the viewer in this regard. A history of colonisation, the Marcos dictatorship, the ripples of that into now, Catholicism, natural disasters - the Philippines.

Maybe start with Norte the End of History. It's the most easily available (in Europe and America) and really the most easily appreciable and technically accomplished. And is one of his shorter movies. But still long. Very long. Melancholia is my favourite of his for what it's worth.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

The one where Exodus, Out of the Furnace, Flowers of War, and Terminator: Salvation make up his output of the last few years. Which universe are you from, and has he made better choices there?

His output during that period also includes Batman, American Hustle and The Fighter. It's not even a streak of bad movies.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

xcore posted:

His output during that period also includes Batman, American Hustle and The Fighter. It's not even a streak of bad movies.

Yeah, The Fighter was also excellent. I get if someone doesn't like the Batman movies, that's totally understandable, but Christian Bale has made plenty of good films recently...

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Snak posted:

Yeah, The Fighter was also excellent. I get if someone doesn't like the Batman movies, that's totally understandable, but Christian Bale has made plenty of good films recently...

The argument could definitely be made that his output does not fully realize his potential.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is the first Mad Max really essential or can I just skip to The Road Warrior without missing anything :v:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Is the first Mad Max really essential or can I just skip to The Road Warrior without missing anything :v:

No, but yes.

It's not essential viewing, you won't miss much as The Road Warrior does a very brief recap of why Max is Mad. However, Mad Max is a good movie and has my favorite villain of the series, Toecutter.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

No, but yes.

It's not essential viewing, you won't miss much as The Road Warrior does a very brief recap of why Max is Mad. However, Mad Max is a good movie and has my favorite villain of the series, Toecutter.
Yeah, I keep hearing it's got the best villain of the series so I guess I'll just stick with it even if it's kinda underwhelming right now. I guess when I thought of Mad Max I associated it with the post-apocalyptic fullblown chaos of the second one and didn't realize the first was just about like, biker gangs.
There does seem to be a consensus about skipping the third one at least.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Nah, Beyond Thunderdome is cool. The weakest of the three, but still cool.

Besides, if you don't watch it you'll never find out who run Bartertown.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, I keep hearing it's got the best villain of the series so I guess I'll just stick with it even if it's kinda underwhelming right now. I guess when I thought of Mad Max I associated it with the post-apocalyptic fullblown chaos of the second one and didn't realize the first was just about like, biker gangs.
There does seem to be a consensus about skipping the third one at least.

Each film progresses further into the post-apocalypse. The first basically takes place as civilization collapses, its set during the apocalypse.

I don't know if you haven't checked out the Mad Max thread I recommend it for some further reading about the series if you're interested in the topic after you watch the movies.

Also, don't skip Thunderdome. Maybe fast forward through bits of it, but Bartertown and the action sequences are all worth a watch. Suggested moment to fast forward through: the kids

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I just watched Under the Skin, and it was a really cool experience.
What is the significance of the guy on the motorcycle? Is he an alien too? It's kind of the only thing I couldn't figure out.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Rurea posted:

I just watched Under the Skin, and it was a really cool experience.
What is the significance of the guy on the motorcycle? Is he an alien too? It's kind of the only thing I couldn't figure out.

Yes, he is apparently her boss or "handler", and is hunting her down after she goes rogue. It was an odd decision to include all that since he has no bearing on the end.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Eggnogium posted:

Yes, he is apparently her boss or "handler", and is hunting her down after she goes rogue. It was an odd decision to include all that since he has no bearing on the end.

I don't really agree with that. She must know that he is after her and that affects how she behaves when she goes it alone. He also serves to add menace and jeopardy to the whole thing, and to demonstrate how the aliens usually are - even if there isn't a direct pay-off.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

therattle posted:

I don't really agree with that. She must know that he is after her and that affects how she behaves when she goes it alone. He also serves to add menace and jeopardy to the whole thing, and to demonstrate how the aliens usually are - even if there isn't a direct pay-off.

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to say it was bad or anything, just that most movies cutting between a pursuant and a pursuer would be telegraphing a confrontation between them at some point. But Under the Skin is not most movies.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Next question, was the movie made specifically for Scarlett Johansson, or with her in mind? It feels like it was a specific commentary on how huge movie stars like her view the world from this outsider/alien perspective and how men lust after her and overly-sexualize her. I guess it could have worked with a different actress, but it was an extremely effective casting choice.

Also, what other movies would people recommend that are similar in style or tone to Under the Skin?

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Rurea posted:

Next question, was the movie made specifically for Scarlett Johansson, or with her in mind? It feels like it was a specific commentary on how huge movie stars like her view the world from this outsider/alien perspective and how men lust after her and overly-sexualize her. I guess it could have worked with a different actress, but it was an extremely effective casting choice.

Also, what other movies would people recommend that are similar in style or tone to Under the Skin?

It's probably already been mentioned, but try Enemy and The Strange Color of Your Body's Tears.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Rurea posted:

Upstream Color. It's a little less coherent than Under The Skin, but I think comparable in style.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Slugworth posted:

Upstream Color. It's a little less coherent than Under The Skin, but I think comparable in style.

And it's really good. One of the most emotionally immersive films I've seen.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Are there any movies where the antagonist is in marketing or sales?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

tuyop posted:

Thank You For Smoking?

Most famously, Glengarry Glen Ross

How To Get Ahead In Advertising?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

tuyop posted:

I want to say In The Company Of Men, although I don't remember precisely what the characters' occupation was.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

therattle posted:

Thank You For Smoking?

Perfect, I had forgotten about that! Thanks.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

tuyop posted:

What Women Want with Mel Gibson. Wait, you said antagonist?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

tuyop posted:

Fargo.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

The Goods? would that count?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1092633/

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The Wolf of Wall Street too.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
North By Northwest

e: never mind, that's the protagonist. Tomorrow Never Dies okay?

SixFigureSandwich fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 8, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Boiler Room.

jeremiah johnson
Nov 3, 2007
Oh brother where art thou?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I've heard Pan's Labyrinth meets my criteria. T/F?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

tuyop posted:

I've heard Pan's Labyrinth meets my criteria. T/F?

Fascism does have a lot of propaganda but I don't think it counts as either marketing or sales.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Can someone briefly run down or link to a vfx breakdown on District 9? I'm particularly interested in how they went about inserting CG characters into scenes filmed by handheld cameras on outdoor sets. I always assumed you'd need to shoot multiple passes of a scene with motion capture people for the reference and then without for the plate or whatever they call it but I don't see how that would work on a movie like D9.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
In a nutshell, they usually build a duplicate of the set in CG, and animate a virtual camera to match the camera movements in the real footage. Then they animate the CG creature on the virtual set, and since the virtual set and camera is matched to the real footage, the character will be matched as well. There's a ton of massaging though with the finished character CG footage when they do compositing to get everything matching perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The "handheld" shake might all be added in post or possibly they're using some sort of motorized rig where the shake is pre-programmed which allows them to film the scene dozens of times with the exact same shakes.