Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Teacher at MMI who liked to tell slightly implausible stories, big guy, said he once came out of a bar to find a guy sitting on his BMW and rocking it back and forth on the centerstand. Went over and did the "hey nice bike, it yours?" and etc. I forget all of the story but the guy gets off and he's like "ok man I know you're pissed and you can hit me if you want to..." and the teacher decked him in the face right there. Bouncer from the bar comes over to see what's going on and teacher puts his hands up and said "this guy was sitting on my bike rocking it around and I thought he was tryina steal it" and the guy doesn't deny it and the bouncer is like "man you got lucky" and walks off. Probably all made up but I enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I didn't know you got a Blast?

:snoop:

Lately I've mostly been riding this because I haven't had the time to ride outside of commuting, and it costs less than half to run compared to the hornet.

It's like the cheapo southern hemisphere blast.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I didn't know you got a Blast?

Doesn't even help, people on the street compliment me on my Blast all the time and I just have to act like that's okay.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RadioPassive posted:

Doesn't even help, people on the street compliment me on my Blast all the time and I just have to act like that's okay.

Lmao.

This is the blast owners burden

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've only had 2 people compliment me on my SuMo. One was homeless and the other was on a WR250X.

I also give about 0.01 fucks if someone sits on it cause there isn't really much to break. It's part of why I got rid of my Harley for it. That thing was a douche magnet when parked in front of bars.

BlackLaser
Dec 2, 2005

Goddamn sportbiketrackgear. Some basic stuff ordered on the 16th won't deliver until the 30th? I got my fender eliminator in 2 days. They don't have some grips, rear spools and tank pads in stock ready to go? Maybe I'm impatient and Amazon prime has ruined me, but 15 days is just not acceptable. I have about $2000 worth of gear I need to buy this year and they won't see a penny.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Well see first THEY have to order it...

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've had a similar problem with them before when I ordered a pair of Taichi gauntlets from them. They apparently didn't keep any in stock although the order page didn't show that bit, then the guy handling the order forgot to place it to the main distributor in the U.S. Fun times.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Forgive my my dear ZRX for I have sinned, i have been an unfaithfull little dude reading up on newer and exotic motorcycles. There are so many good and awsome bikes out in the market and I with no debt, finally settled on a new apartment for a couple of years and after a year of saving I can probably afford a new bike and pay for it cash. But no, my dear sweet ZRX was made for me and I was born into this world to ride it. I promise bike, I will ride you into the ground and then and only then will I change you to a newer and younger bike.

So please dont break my dearest sweet bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mine could still pull wheelies at 100kkm so I think you'll be sweet.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I started a new job, and was immediately invited into the company's motorcycle-guy chat room. It was super cool, but I've determined that either a.) I'm some kind of mega-mile psycho or b.) everyone else is a pussy because when I told one of the guys I had about 13k miles on my bike in a little under a year, he freaked out a little and said he's never had that much mileage in TWENTY YEARS. What the actual gently caress?

Also he said the new Husqvarna concept-turned-real bikes were "pretty in a brutish way" so I don't know if I want to talk about bieks with him anymore.

(here are the Huskies in question:)

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/husqvarna-is-going-to-make-these-retrotastic-concepts-1679130767

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That's just sad.

Then again my boss is kinda like that too. "I went riding a couple of weekends ago and it was F-F-R-R-EEEEZZING and I'm not gonna ride again until summer". Freezing as in 50 degrees.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

13k miles? poo poo, I do that in 6 months :/

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Lynza posted:

I started a new job, and was immediately invited into the company's motorcycle-guy chat room. It was super cool, but I've determined that either a.) I'm some kind of mega-mile psycho or b.) everyone else is a pussy because when I told one of the guys I had about 13k miles on my bike in a little under a year, he freaked out a little and said he's never had that much mileage in TWENTY YEARS. What the actual gently caress?

Also he said the new Husqvarna concept-turned-real bikes were "pretty in a brutish way" so I don't know if I want to talk about bieks with him anymore.

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/husqvarna-is-going-to-make-these-retrotastic-concepts-1679130767

Tell him to stop being a little girl.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Angryboot posted:

That's just sad.

Then again my boss is kinda like that too. "I went riding a couple of weekends ago and it was F-F-R-R-EEEEZZING and I'm not gonna ride again until summer". Freezing as in 50 degrees.

I just ridiculed and made fun of one of my bosses until he started riding to work again.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I just went for a ride today because the weather was so nice. It was 45f here.

Nthing the 'stop being a pussy' sentiment.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
HotCanadianChick - maybe I waved at you!

Yeah, today was gorgeous. I took Germantown/Skyline home and it was awesome until I got behind someone's dead grandma doing 30 in the 45.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Angryboot posted:

That's just sad.

10c is summer temperatures. :sweden:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Angryboot posted:

That's just sad.

50 is cold as gently caress without a helmet/jacket/gloves.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I stopped into work yesterday and there was a customer going on about how "It's too drat cold to ride!" as I stood next to him in full gear. My boss looked at me a snickered a bit. It was something like 45 out.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, I mean, I guess if you're one of those bandanna+brain bucket guys who wear as little as possible, 45F is cold. But I like my skin right where it is, so I wear gear. Which also means that here in Oregon the season is pretty much all year, except for maybe a few weeks where it gets icy.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I just want it to be above freezing. I hate Wisconsin so much. It was a scorching 36 degrees last weekend so I took my 80 and 125 out to gently caress around in a corn field.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Lynza posted:

Yeah, I mean, I guess if you're one of those bandanna+brain bucket guys who wear as little as possible, 45F is cold.
I've actually seen a number of those guys riding around in 38 degree weather with a vest and a half helmet. They usually improvise something with a ski mask and a bandanna and maybe Carhartt pants, but still no real gear. It's amazing how committed they are. You could buy a cheap full face for $70 and save yourself so much discomfort. But that would be to CUT AND RUN in the face of nanny-state Euro-sissyism.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
The Tourmaster Transition III jacket is baller as gently caress for a good cheap winter jacket - it's got some gore-tex clone that works just as well as the real thing inside, and it's super thick and well insulated. I stayed totally toasty in mine all the way down to ~30 degrees with just a sweatshirt on underneath. I just need some better winter gloves, since the point where I can no longer feel the controls is now my limiting factor for winter riding. :(

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 31, 2015

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yerok posted:

I just want it to be above freezing. I hate Wisconsin so much. It was a scorching 36 degrees last weekend so I took my 80 and 125 out to gently caress around in a corn field.

I'm in wisco and I hate that you get to gently caress around in corn fields :mad:

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe

Lynza posted:

Yeah, my co-workers including the two bikers think I'm nuts for putting that kind of mileage on my bike, too. It's all too common, I'm afraid, especially among us 50+-year-olds.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Even in Socal people look at me like I'm nuts riding to work when it's "cold" or raining out. I hate traffic and I like to ride therefore I am on the bike a lot. My boss rides pretty much the same commute as I do but aside from him everyone else at work who rides has bikes that get about 500 miles a year on them. The only people I know around here who do actually ride are a few friends who ride Wings. They all have well over 100k on them and plan elaborate multi week trips fairly often.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Cold weather riders..you da real mvp

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm in wisco and I hate that you get to gently caress around in corn fields :mad:

Benefits of living in not a real city I guess. 20 minutes from downtown Madison is as far as I have to go to ride the two strokes. If you feel like lowsiding in an icy corn field you can come down to south central WI whenever.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
So the guy who is super cycle fussy came to me today to tell me "good on ya" for riding in the rain.

Welp.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lynza posted:

So the guy who is super cycle fussy came to me today to tell me "good on ya" for riding in the rain.

Welp.

Ever wonder what it felt like to be on the receiving end of someone's masculinity-questioning, Jupiter-sized ball of shame?

edit: Oh wait you're a woman so you're probably quite familiar with that

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If it's anything like my missus when she rides literally anywhere, it's basically every loving day. Being a woman must suck balls even normally; I can't imagine what it's like getting involved something that has an overwhelmingly hurrdurr masculine culture/connotations.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
Eh, pretty much all my life I've been the best "son" to my dad. We do projects together, it's pretty fun. I'm pretty comfortable with who I am and stuff, so that doesn't usually bother me. I do find myself never wanting to cry around people, though, and then I think, "oh poo poo, I can't cry, people won't think I'm macho" and then I start snickering because it's so stupid, but it's seriously how my brain is wired sometimes.

One super cool thing that I've noticed, though, is that people pretty much universally think it's good that I ride. I actually get a lot more positive feelings from people than I expected. I was kinda worried I was going to get the same type of treatment I get when I go into a wood store (Woodcrafters in Portland, I'm looking at you, you loving bearded hipster pricks) where they look at a man (if I'm with one) and ask him questions instead of me. Instead, bike guys, especially at the shop, are super chill with me. It's pretty awesome. It seems like a great equalizer. I can talk to anyone about bikes; gender's not really ever a thing.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Lynza posted:

One super cool thing that I've noticed, though, is that people pretty much universally think it's good that I ride. I actually get a lot more positive feelings from people than I expected. I was kinda worried I was going to get the same type of treatment I get when I go into a wood store (Woodcrafters in Portland, I'm looking at you, you loving bearded hipster pricks) where they look at a man (if I'm with one) and ask him questions instead of me. Instead, bike guys, especially at the shop, are super chill with me. It's pretty awesome. It seems like a great equalizer. I can talk to anyone about bikes; gender's not really ever a thing.

Yeah, this has honestly been my experience like 95% of the time.

Though at the IMS I would sit on a bike, and the salesperson would come over and start talking in depth to my bf about the bike I'm checking out. He'd be like, oh no, I don't ride at all/am not interested, she's the rider... and they'd continue talking to him like I wasn't even there.

Except for the cool 6' tall BMW saleslady who dailies an r1200gs. She knew what was up.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein

M42 posted:

Yeah, this has honestly been my experience like 95% of the time.

Though at the IMS I would sit on a bike, and the salesperson would come over and start talking in depth to my bf about the bike I'm checking out. He'd be like, oh no, I don't ride at all/am not interested, she's the rider... and they'd continue talking to him like I wasn't even there.

Except for the cool 6' tall BMW saleslady who dailies an r1200gs. She knew what was up.

I had a guy do that at a car dealership. My husband gives no fucks about/does not know about cars. I just got up and we left. gently caress salespeople who treat anyone like that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lynza posted:

gently caress salespeople

I'm sure there's lots of lovely salespersons on this very forum but I've never met one and their entire profession exists to convince people to buy poo poo they don't really want to buy, for more than they really want to pay. The higher the pricetag the more insufferable the guy pitching it to you.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Lynza posted:

I had a guy do that at a car dealership. My husband gives no fucks about/does not know about cars. I just got up and we left. gently caress salespeople who treat anyone like that.

My favourite salesperson is the tall older lady that works in the gear department at Beaverton Honda. She's been really helpful with finding gear that'll fit my wife, and was recommended to me as the go to person for any gear or fitting questions by several other friends that ride.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

- Robert A. Heinlein
That's Jennifer, and she's awesome. She's always really helpful, and doesn't try to sell you a bunch of crap you don't need.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The only thing that seems to bother my wife about what people think/say about her riding is the common notion that her bike is too big for a ladies' bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Lynza posted:

I was kinda worried I was going to get the same type of treatment I get when I go into a wood store (Woodcrafters in Portland, I'm looking at you, you loving bearded hipster pricks) where they look at a man (if I'm with one) and ask him questions instead of me.
Is there nothing these people will not ruin? Even wood? Wood???