Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
champ car are testing at sebring the week that we were supposed to be in Brazil; perhaps we could race with them ;)

to be serious; why are indycar testing with the old aerokits? they aren't running the dallara kits at all this year, so why bother testing with them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

IceAgeComing posted:

to be serious; why are indycar testing with the old aerokits? they aren't running the dallara kits at all this year, so why bother testing with them?

Teams don't have the aero kits yet. They are with the series and are going through homologation(sp) before they'll be delivered to the teams

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That, plus the fact that Brazil was going to be using the old kits - so there was still some testing to be done for that race. I don't think the teams that have already invested into scheduling testing are going to cancel that just because of the last-second change.

And some things aren't going to change dramatically with the aero. Getting more time on the tires / shocks / mysterious additional suspension devices / differential setups is still valid, old kit or new.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I don't think private testing is allowed after March 1st when the teams get the kits, for parities sake. Also it made sense to do it that way when they were assuming they wouldn't have their primary cars from like March 3rd to the 11th with em off in Brazil, so they didn't really have much time to do a private test + the mandatory group tests anyway. So you might as well burn your test days with the old car, cause youre just gonna lose any days you dont use.

Now that they have that extra week and change, they are talking about sticking another group test in there.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
:love: Update on Simona's progress to come back! :love:

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/113247-indycar-de-silvestro-making-progress-on-return

quote:

The number of seats left for de Silvestro to occupy continues to dwindle, but she reportedly remains high atop the list of candidates to drive for Andretti Autosport in a part-time capacity, and has emerged as a possible teammate alongside James Hinchcliffe at Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. De Silvestro was unable to comment on where she might sign, but did make it clear she only wants to drive for a contender.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Schmidt is rumored to be looking for the staff to run a 3rd car, but there just isnt many good people out there with the Nissan P1 and bigger Lights field and all that getting run out of Indy. Big demand for proven race / data engineers, for sure.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Cygni posted:

Schmidt is rumored to be looking for the staff to run a 3rd car, but there just isnt many good people out there with the Nissan P1 and bigger Lights field and all that getting run out of Indy. Big demand for proven race / data engineers, for sure.

Speaking of Lights, 8Star has a bunch of their cars up on Ebay atm to make room for their Lights program.

- 1 Corvette DP - $339,000
- 1 Oreca FLM09 - $264,900
- 2 Elan DPO2 - $117,900 each

Buy them now!

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Whatever pipeline he has to those Venezuelan oil bucks, it certainly is a big one.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

If either of these happen :swoon:

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

If Simona got a ride for street and road races only, it'd own.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I really, really want to see Conor Daly get a full time ride.

I really like that guy, and I'd love to see his hard work pay off.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Cygni posted:

Whatever pipeline he has to those Venezuelan oil bucks, it certainly is a big one.

Well if you remember he had the Visit Venezuela money that used a forged signature of the gov't official controlling that poo poo and bought tons and tons of cars. Haven't heard anything on the court case for that, but I'd say the money well has been sealed.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

VikingSkull posted:

Speaking of Lights, 8Star has a bunch of their cars up on Ebay atm to make room for their Lights program.

- 1 Corvette DP - $339,000
- 1 Oreca FLM09 - $264,900
- 2 Elan DPO2 - $117,900 each

Buy them now!

Rich GT Gentleman Drivers assemble!

Seriously though you have no idea what I'd give up to buy that FLM09. Whenever I watch TUDOR races I can imagine myself competing in PC.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

KingShibby posted:

Rich GT Gentleman Drivers assemble!

Seriously though you have no idea what I'd give up to buy that FLM09. Whenever I watch TUDOR races I can imagine myself competing in PC.

Please don't if you don't have racing experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAt9tFZmOWo

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

BMB5150 posted:

Please don't if you don't have racing experience.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAt9tFZmOWo

I would never jump into something so powerful without working my way up. If I had an extra $55k laying around I'd buy this car first.

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...
If Conor Daly was from Brazil half the people gushing over him would do a 180. His attitude kinda blows.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

KingShibby posted:

I got a nice 2 hour tour of one at Sebring a few years ago, they are awesome cars. I really like the spec. The price/performance is crazy good, and they look and sound awesome. It's pretty funny that they weren't "cool" enough to last in Europe, but are still going strong stateside for a few more years at least.

Muddy Burphy posted:

His attitude kinda blows.
Yeah, I kinda agree. I hope he makes it into the bigcars for the entertainment value of him starting fights, if nothing else.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Yeah, I kinda agree. I hope he makes it into the bigcars for the entertainment value of him starting fights, if nothing else.

Every series needs a heel, and I'd love to see some good ole fashioned road course retribution

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

KingShibby posted:

Every series needs a heel, and I'd love to see some good ole fashioned road course retribution

I'm on board with this. I remember a couple years ago when he wrecked at Indy and his whole interview was basically "A bloo bloo bloo this sucks," then later something happened to Newgarden and he handled it like a pro. I was at my parents' watching and I remember my mom pointed out how much better Newgarden's attitude was than Daly's.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

He was a really, really nice guy at Mid Ohio. He was spotting for Ryan Phinny and we spotted at him, waved at him.

"What are you doing here man? Just saw you racing in GP2 a few days a go!"

"Spotting for my friend"

"Hey wish you wern't so busy, so we could talk to you for a few minutes"

"Who says I can't?"

He then came down for a bit and talked with us for a few, signed some stuff and listened to my brother talk about Deadmau5 for some reason. All in All? Awesome guy.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 6, 2015

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/113286-indycar-phinny-preparing-for-indy-500-debut

Looks like Ryan Phinny will be in a KV car for Indy. He was pretty quick at the end of the Lights season last year, but thats a big step up.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

are chevy's engines designed/built in-house?

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

be nice wicka posted:

are chevy's engines designed/built in-house?

No, I believe Ilmor does them.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

George Zimmer posted:

No, I believe Ilmor does them.

Correct. They're rebranded Ilmor engines.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

thanks. i'm curious if haas could convince them to build an F1 V6 if (IF) his team doesn't go up in flames.

are there still rumors of new engine manufacturers joining indycar or did that talk quietly disappear?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

be nice wicka posted:

are there still rumors of new engine manufacturers joining indycar or did that talk quietly disappear?

I think it's quiet in the sense that perhaps everything is still being worked out in terms of technical side. Perhaps there's some really tight contract about not talking about it until May this year or something.

The more I think on it, the more I'm believing it's going to be a Nismo Cosworth IMO.

E: The Evidence I strangely have is Jimmy Vasser tweeting he couldn't say anything about it, and KV revamping an old car from the CCWS days (Show car perhaps).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

be nice wicka posted:

thanks. i'm curious if haas could convince them to build an F1 V6 if (IF) his team doesn't go up in flames.

New Ilmor would be competing against Old Ilmor (now named AMG Powertrains or something), which would be pretty funny. New Ilmor is good, but F1 is an expensive nut to crack. First year team with first year engine is a recipe for disaster.

Also Brasillia released the money to finish the track upgrades... after they already lost the racedate and made everyone laugh at their politics. Great job guys.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Cygni posted:

New Ilmor would be competing against Old Ilmor (now named AMG Powertrains or something), which would be pretty funny. New Ilmor is good, but F1 is an expensive nut to crack. First year team with first year engine is a recipe for disaster.

well i was thinking more like five years from now, if haas establishes a team that doesn't appear to be in imminent danger of collapse

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Will Power will run the #1 next year (owns)

Scott Speed just posted a picture of him getting a seat fit in an Andretti car (hilarious)

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Cygni posted:

Power said that's what he wanted to do right after winning the title last year.

Also KVSH is looking for a 2nd, driver-funded, entry. They will be testing Stefano Coletti and James Jakes tomorrow and they are still working with Saavedra for that ride as well...

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Scott Speed just posted a picture of him getting a seat fit in an Andretti car (hilarious)

I'm always left wondering if Scott Speed and AJ Allmendinger would have been any good had they just stuck it out in AOWR. I still believe 'Dinger could have been a RHR-like talent, and likely would have contended for a 500 or a Series title by now.

I also wonder how Alex Gurney, Jon Forgarty, and Joey Hand would have done. We also never got to see Al III give it a go which is a drat shame. (I think his results would have been mediocre, but it would have been cool to have an Unser on the grid again :smith: )

We all know how RHR, Buddy Rice, Hornish (and to an extent) Hilderbrand have done.. So I guess we have somewhat of a measuring stick in some ways.

On the Canadian side, I would wonder if Michael Valiente or Andrew Ranger would have been worth a drat. Would those two have proven to be better than say..Hinch or Tags?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The fact Andrew Ranger spent 2 complete years in CART and you don't even remember it rather answer that question.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQN4CfSnWbo

Windy Sebring theater.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm always left wondering if Scott Speed and AJ Allmendinger would have been any good had they just stuck it out in AOWR. I still believe 'Dinger could have been a RHR-like talent, and likely would have contended for a 500 or a Series title by now.

I also wonder how Alex Gurney, Jon Forgarty, and Joey Hand would have done. We also never got to see Al III give it a go which is a drat shame. (I think his results would have been mediocre, but it would have been cool to have an Unser on the grid again :smith: )

It all depends. What team do they go to, what sponsors do they attract, how do certain bounces in certain races go? Who knows how different Marco would be if he'd pulled off that win. His father is held in extremely high esteem but would it be even higher had he pulled out a 500 win? Yeah it'd be nice to have an Unser on the grid, but we have a Rahal and an Andretti and both get massive amounts of stick for not being too great. If Al III was stuck at the tail of a field it'd be the same.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

harperdc posted:

It all depends. What team do they go to, what sponsors do they attract, how do certain bounces in certain races go? Who knows how different Marco would be if he'd pulled off that win. His father is held in extremely high esteem but would it be even higher had he pulled out a 500 win? Yeah it'd be nice to have an Unser on the grid, but we have a Rahal and an Andretti and both get massive amounts of stick for not being too great. If Al III was stuck at the tail of a field it'd be the same.

I had always wondered how good a "big" win (ie some place like Long Beach, Pocono or Fontana) would be for Marco. Would that allow him to finally become the driver we all thought he was going to be?

Just kind of wondering if there's something that would allow the guy to "click". I really want to see it happen because it would be kind of cool to see.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Graham won in his very first ICS race 7 (!) years ago and has done jack poo poo since. Gonna say it'd make no difference.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
He's not a guy who is quick over a lap or something and just can't do tire management where winning a race might show him what kind of patience is needed. He is just not a good race car driver and is there on name.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Both Graham and Marco have had opportunities to win again in front of them and messed it up. Both of them have taken the white flag as the leader and lost the race due to their own mistakes.

They are passable drivers and they might pick up a win or two more in their careers, and self marketing is how you stay employed in this job so more power to them.

Unser 3 and Larry/Foyt 4 all legitimately couldn't cut it, though. Their names couldn't overcome their slowness.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

Both Graham and Marco have had opportunities to win again in front of them and messed it up. Both of them have taken the white flag as the leader and lost the race due to their own mistakes.

They are passable drivers and they might pick up a win or two more in their careers, and self marketing is how you stay employed in this job so more power to them.

Unser 3 and Larry/Foyt 4 all legitimately couldn't cut it, though. Their names couldn't overcome their slowness.

Well is this something that's perhaps "Fixable" or not? I can at least make the argument for Marco that he seems willing to work on getting better. Like you said, he seems to do well enough in good equipment. He can get you top 5's pretty regularly, but beyond that? He doesn't really seem to have that edge that other drivers seem to have. (Dixon, Power, etc).

We know he's not great, but he seems like he could very easily be on the level of "good" at the very least if he could find a way to capitalize more on those top 5's and turn them into podiums.

Graham? Eh, he seems too bothered by criticism.

And yeah, "just by name only" can really only get you so far. If that was indeed the case, I'd be wearing a "Al Unser III" t-shirt to Mid Ohio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/113338-indycar-speed-to-test-for-andretti-autosport

so my theory on Scott Speed is right. Sounds like Andretti wants to run 5 cars with a rotating cast of drivers. He apparently doesn't want to run ovals, so I guess he's kind of like a poor man's Mike Conway.

Wonder if this is the start of a trend.

• Locked thread