Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Ah, mission resets. :bahgawd:

I was enjoying my first mission to get ship fuel in that base infested with aliens. Right up until I pulled a switch and some thing with a giant axe came out swinging and killed me. That would not have been that bad had I not discovered it wanted me to play everything from the beginning of the mission again. I just NOPEed the gently caress out of that and just /admin'ed my way back to where I was.

So yes I now think this game needs a checkpoint system for poo poo like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

LordSaturn posted:

Has anybody got suggestions on how to beat the Floran Party? Melee combat is the least fun thing in this game.

I had a sword that shot pulses of stuff and would open the door, close it, and then shoot them through the door.

You can also lure them out of the arena and stand on a platform, plinking at them

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If you can find a rocket launcher or grenade launcher, explosions damage them through the door and you can easily cheese the fight by opening the door but not going through, shooting at them, retreating so the door closes on its own before they reach it, then shooting the door as they run against it and letting the splash damage kill them.

Glitch castles drop a lot of guns in my experience, it's how I got my rocket launcher before the floran party. Avian airships are pretty good, too. Other dungeon types seem to only drop specialized (mostly crappy) guns or have bad drop rates for guns.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 8, 2015

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

LordSaturn posted:

Has anybody got suggestions on how to beat the Floran Party? Melee combat is the least fun thing in this game.

I actually just ran through the entire area and teleported out once I reached the end. I don't think I killed a single enemy since, for the most part, they had way too much health for me to damage and there were too many of them.

On a side note - be careful with targeted blinking. I somehow ended blinking myself into a door on a planet which sent me into what looked like a black void. I went from a blink animation to standing in the center of the screen. The entire screen was black and I couldn't move or do anything. I saved and quit, which apparently corrupted my character, but I was luckily able to fix it with some save game editing.

If this happens to you go here http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/targeted-blink.90230/ then read and follow the post by TurtleJen.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Section Z posted:

Jesus. The "hardest" part of the Weapons test boss is the missiles. Because A: at range they are so tiny that even spraying an assault rifle can miss them because whoops it wasn't a pixel perfect hit on a tiny moving target. B: Are you fighting with melee weapons and a shield up close? Enjoy the missiles going off right in your face even if you hit them with your sword with shield up!

The dash punch is a bit too fast for me to reliably perfect guard, so I just pulse jump and let it clip my shield held normally if need be (About the one thing that will not instantly shatter my shield). Energy barrage is easy to perfect block, the "gently caress you, you walk backwards slowly" is the main reason the flamethrower is a danger so most of my energy gets spent air dashing to open up distance, or trying to shoot down missiles.

So yes, most difficult boss so far. But only because it's missile spam is so finicky. My current best shield is a Frost shield with 200 health, if you gently caress up a perfect guard one missile breaks it from full, and the flamethrower shatters it nearly instantly so may as well just tank the flamethrower which does about the least damage, and seems to just be there to remind you that you walk slower backwards (not that you can outrun it walking forwards that well either).

More of a slog than a challenge even if it took two tries. Hopefully the 5th glitch location I find actually has a codex, because the last ones in passing, and random glitch rooms buried underground didn't.

EDIT Easy Mode Confession: Molotovs are lovely. I guess the boss wised up because after the first time it stunned itself against a wall and I took off over half it's health bar, any further wall stuns lasted about 2 seconds tops before it went back to attacking.

If you want to make the boss hilariously easy, craft yourself the gemstone staff. Get one cast off before he casts missiles and the pulses will destroy them all, and drop more when he goes mid-air to really just shred him. The last time I messed with it he didn't even get a phase 3, that thing can poo poo out so much damage. If you're all the way by the wall when he gets to missile phase, it should be pretty easy to shoot them down. I need to mess with the floaty bubble tech, might be the easiest way to dodge the dash punch if it gives you enough height.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I wish there was a way to customize weapons with the looks of others of the same class, like some kind of 3D-printer like tool where you throw in trash guns and swords to make your crafted ones look less samey. I found some awesome looking revolvers, but they were all terrible and I'm stuck with this ugly blue-greenish end-tier pistol. :smith:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Or, you know, a cosmetic slot, since that's how armor's done. I'm with you though, cosmetic weapon slots would be pretty cool.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Babe Magnet posted:

Or, you know, a cosmetic slot, since that's how armor's done. I'm with you though, cosmetic weapon slots would be pretty cool.

Yes, even better of an idea.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I wonder if supernorn still lurks here? For all the previous poo poo posting and vitriol the majority of the content contributes to this thread spewed out all over the last one they do have some awesome ideas.

See /\/\/\

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

JerikTelorian posted:

You can also lure them out of the arena and stand on a platform, plinking at them

This was how I beat them, didn't even realize I was at the boss.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I just jumped over the gladiator and fired rockets whenever I dashed to a safe distance. That bone club is slow as gently caress and won't hit you basically at all if you time it carefully.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Yea the floran party is weird, because unlike the other ones the dungeon is more involved and interesting, and then the boss is just a guy that runs at you trying to melee. They really should give it a drop-down or something to keep you from pulling out, and the boss needs something like a gladiator's net or scorpion's pull-you-over attack. Because all you have to do is jump over his head and shoot him in the back, forever until he dies.

You know what really annoys me though? Stim packs not listing what they do on the lid. That and food needs to be more informative on what they're actually doing.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

ZypherIM posted:

You know what really annoys me though? Stim packs not listing what they do on the lid. That and food needs to be more informative on what they're actually doing.

This mod does this for food.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012
Is there a known glitch where airlocks open, but don't let your character through? I can't even access the outpost right now.

EDIT: Looks like the old automatic doors mod doesn't play nice with the new stable. Uninstalling it did the trick.

tom bob-ombadil fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 8, 2015

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Did something change? The spawn point on my home/starter planet seems to have moved to the left.

Davoren fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 8, 2015

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

automaticswim posted:

To assist nerds that care to use it, a server status page as well as online player count; and, should the server die and not autorestart as I've sternly instructed it to do, a button to restart the server will show up as well.
http://baddadsyndro.me/sbserver.php

This doesn't seem to be working. Server crashed out and it's not restarting when the button is pressed. Or it just takes a very, very long time.

automaticswim
Jan 7, 2005

butt interrogator
It takes anywhere from 5-20 seconds to properly exit the other scripts running, then bring it back up. I just did it from the link and it seems to be going back up, I'll log into the box and check.

e: figured out why, it just created a horrific loop. i tested it successfully last night, then made a change, and went to bed. without testing. derp.

automaticswim fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 8, 2015

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Feindfeuer posted:

I wish there was a way to customize weapons with the looks of others of the same class, like some kind of 3D-printer like tool where you throw in trash guns and swords to make your crafted ones look less samey. I found some awesome looking revolvers, but they were all terrible and I'm stuck with this ugly blue-greenish end-tier pistol. :smith:

I desperately want this, also for shields. EQ2 has spoiled me rotten with the ability to reskin every single piece of visible equipment.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Babe Magnet posted:

You could do that but it'd make it really hard to figure out what your weapon's hitbox actually is and it would be constantly frustrating as your weapon appeared to hit an enemy and nothing happened. Or confusing, when you miss an enemy but he gets hit anyway.

Even if limited to only using cosmetic weapons of the same type of your currently equipped weapon, I'm pretty sure even weapons of the same type (1H sword, 2H axe, etc) have varying sized hitboxes, right?

Guns would be fine though. :haw: (and I guess staves?)

Davoren posted:

Did something change? The spawn point on my home/starter planet seems to have moved to the left.

I know when the unstable was first coming out, there was a thing that sometimes if you built or changed certain things on the beam down point, it'd automatically move it over to prevent conflicts. Not sure exactly what you had to do to make that happen - maybe it checked for lava, for instance - but that might still be in place.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ZypherIM posted:

If you want to make the boss hilariously easy, craft yourself the gemstone staff. Get one cast off before he casts missiles and the pulses will destroy them all, and drop more when he goes mid-air to really just shred him. The last time I messed with it he didn't even get a phase 3, that thing can poo poo out so much damage. If you're all the way by the wall when he gets to missile phase, it should be pretty easy to shoot them down. I need to mess with the floaty bubble tech, might be the easiest way to dodge the dash punch if it gives you enough height.

Nice to hear the staffs do have a cool use, my murder toy of choice to beat it second time through was Molotovs. I should try them sometime because hey, not like I'm using the Rubium for much else.

I was too lazy to math out better number results combos, but notice Aegisalt Chest, Rubium helmet, and Violium legs was the same as All Aegisalt armor, but with +80 energy or so. Melee legs meant the smallest energy penalty (which is loving DIRE on the melee armor) but at least getting a bit more health/armor.

For reference, The Violum armor compared to the Aegisalt and Rubium Avian armor has... +55/+90 Health. +50/+80 Armor, and -170/-540 Energy! You get +80 energy total, your default no armor at all energy is 100. The Melee style armor itself does not let you live all that much longer with how hard enemies hit, and they could have at least let you craft a shield but noooo the only craftable shield is the default Iron one.

I wish the staffs had better than vague descriptions, some are obvious (okay, flower spray and splash of water sounds like flower shotgun?). Then you get the Glitch and I guess human staffs which list joke descriptions like "Channels the energy of the human spirit" and Binary which when translated just says "Error".

I do like the look of the human and Avian staffs. Wizardy staffs fit the Glitch... But god drat the Hyotl have the most boring murder staffs in the galaxy, looking like perfectly normal staffs with just some recolors. That and the fact you have to stop in place to charge them makes them a death sentence against a lot of enemies and bosses if they are already attacking you.

RE: Floran Party, I am also in the "I found my first rocket launcher shortly before, splashed through door. Didn't realize it was a boss until noticing it was eating 10+ rockets. camp. Boy, floran party's level itself would have SUCKED without a good ranged weapon, due to those florans with machineguns hiding out in guar tower nooks high up with openings only large enough to shoot through.

XboxPants posted:

You could do that but it'd make it really hard to figure out what your weapon's hitbox actually is and it would be constantly frustrating as your weapon appeared to hit an enemy and nothing happened. Or confusing, when you miss an enemy but he gets hit anyway.

Even if limited to only using cosmetic weapons of the same type of your currently equipped weapon, I'm pretty sure even weapons of the same type (1H sword, 2H axe, etc) have varying sized hitboxes, right?

Guns would be fine though. :haw: (and I guess staves?)

It would be a problem with guns because if your gun barrel is past an enemy that is in your face, your gun simply fires the projectile past them. Because of course you have a penalty to trying to use a shotgun at close range.

EDIT: Even when it comes to cosmetics, I find a way to bitch about combat :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 9, 2015

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Is some retard here spending money on low effort AV'S again?

Next time just send me the money.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Woah what the gently caress? For real? lmao, this loving thread

Or maybe they found the other thread calling them out?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Staffs have very, very limited use. The fact that they charge up instead of cooldown means that most of the time they're just worse than a rocket launcher straight up. Most of the time it is better to just use the rocket launcher, that way you can run around and dodge while your attack is cooling down, instead of having to stand there to channel it. The thing is most of them don't actually do more damage than the rocket launcher, and still get effected by armor. So like the water staff is almost cool because it charges in like half the time, but as soon as something has armor its useless. If you're loving with casting through walls or have a long enough time to cast it some of them are acceptable.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Is some retard here spending money on low effort AV'S again?

Next time just send me the money.

ahahahaha

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i do feel bad, but the person who bought my av, im sorry I already pissed off another person enough to buy me a new av

hey guy that is handing out the starbound avs please buy me a new humiliating avatar thank you in advance

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ZypherIM posted:

Staffs have very, very limited use. The fact that they charge up instead of cooldown means that most of the time they're just worse than a rocket launcher straight up. Most of the time it is better to just use the rocket launcher, that way you can run around and dodge while your attack is cooling down, instead of having to stand there to channel it. The thing is most of them don't actually do more damage than the rocket launcher, and still get effected by armor. So like the water staff is almost cool because it charges in like half the time, but as soon as something has armor its useless. If you're loving with casting through walls or have a long enough time to cast it some of them are acceptable.

Yeah. I mean, I figure the reason you are stuck standing in place with staffs is to "Balance" them firing where your mouse pointer is on release, on top of their huge energy cost (Aegisalt armor, it empties your bar to fire it twice and puts you on lockdown. My Mix and match armor gives me a little leftover, but dashing after two castings would kill the bar). They could at least also show how much energy it takes to cast the staffs in the description, if listing damage is too complicated with things that range from water splash to AoE crystal.

But that Balance is probably more for the downward spiral of "We got to make this fun times sandbox PvP balanced!" they like to mention, which is a pain when they then try to add rocket tag mentality to PvE.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I lost my awesome Pickle Inspector avatar by being banned ages ago so I could use a new avatar, so here goes.

Starbound is a bad game made by people who have no idea what they want to make and the fact that it takes mods to make it playable says a lot.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
starbound: i wish starbound was a dick so i could put it in my rear end and mouth

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Eonwe posted:

starbound: i wish starbound was a dick so i could put it in my rear end and mouth

Damnit I should have gone with this. I guess I'm just a lovely shitposter!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Slime posted:

Damnit I should have gone with this. I guess I'm just a lovely shitposter!

you are a wonderful shitposter

every shitposter is special and unique in their own way and bring their own unique terrible qualities to a shitpost

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
like my quality, apparently, is that i'm an aggressive shitposter

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Babe Magnet posted:

Or maybe they found the other thread calling them out?

where is this?

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

I'm pretty thankful for my av. Best one currently on SA. It's pretty much as awesome as starbound.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

can't remember the name and it's not bookmarked for me anymore, RIP

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Anybody have a trick for Steam screenshots F12, or Printscreen button not just eating any attempts to screenshot mouseover info? That doesn't involve running screaming to some external program?

Was trying to screencap weapon details to show "Yes, these rocket launchers and pistols are barely dealing double digit damage". Though the second launcher I found, the Badass Thundermaker (1244 Damage per shot, kills myself if I suffer splash damage) deals with them swiftly, but wildlife can still tank the hit. This thing has a higher listed damage than the Ferozium launcher. The lower DPS doesn't matter much in this "Lower raw damage = joke" guns system.

And realizing what it takes to kill enemies also has me realize just how "One hit and you are dead" any so called PvP will be. Even my one handed sword deals more damage per swing than my total health by a large margin. Which will remain the case after upgrading to top tier armor.

Also holy gently caress they still haven't fixed enemy hitboxes. Monsters where half their body is the head are loving hard to hit when everything from the mouth up just has bullets and rockets harmlessly pass through them. Even tall monsters with huge heads it screws with me due to years of viddy games training me to click on heads. On top of spitting water at me vastly more powerful than three NPC guards firing uzis at me at once.

EDIT: Blew myself up when a guard gave up trying to shoot me for 4 damage a pop and rushed me with their axe. Took them with me at least!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Feb 9, 2015

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

You also fall faster than rockets fly, so you gotta be really careful shooting down. Some planets are way more dangerous, like jungle ones. Because of all the plants that will suck up the hit right in your face and kill you. I still laugh when it happens to be honest.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given
Is there a mod for 3D printing blocks? Tearing down entire buildings is tedious as gently caress.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

Kly posted:

where is this?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3697698

MrPants
Nov 17, 2005
I tried playing this again after the update. I kind of had fun mining around my starting planet, making some armor, making a big farm, and then going to a different planet to mine some more for different stuff. Then the tutorial got to the point with the guy who wants coffee and it was a constant steam of running back and forth crafting one little item, more running around and 0 reward. That was pretty much bullshit but I was still willing to give it a chance. Then I did the Erchius base. That seemed unnecessarily difficult for a tutorial mission. I had to play it like 10 times to beat it. I play a lot of roguelikes so I have a fairly high tolerance for getting killed and trying again and that stupid mission was on the verge of making me quit trying to enjoy this poo poo.

Once I finally completed the mission, I got the crystals. I beamed back to my ship, it played the mission completion tune and started talking about the FTL drive being repaired. It then promptly crashed. Now the FTL drive isn't actually fixed, the quest is completed and I can't add fuel to the ship. I am stuck in the tutorial forever it seems with no work around. Oh I guess there were some suggestions to start a new character and try again.

So, in conclusion, gently caress this stupid loving game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

MrPants posted:

I tried playing this again after the update. I kind of had fun mining around my starting planet, making some armor, making a big farm, and then going to a different planet to mine some more for different stuff. Then the tutorial got to the point with the guy who wants coffee and it was a constant steam of running back and forth crafting one little item, more running around and 0 reward. That was pretty much bullshit but I was still willing to give it a chance. Then I did the Erchius base. That seemed unnecessarily difficult for a tutorial mission. I had to play it like 10 times to beat it. I play a lot of roguelikes so I have a fairly high tolerance for getting killed and trying again and that stupid mission was on the verge of making me quit trying to enjoy this poo poo.

Once I finally completed the mission, I got the crystals. I beamed back to my ship, it played the mission completion tune and started talking about the FTL drive being repaired. It then promptly crashed. Now the FTL drive isn't actually fixed, the quest is completed and I can't add fuel to the ship. I am stuck in the tutorial forever it seems with no work around. Oh I guess there were some suggestions to start a new character and try again.

So, in conclusion, gently caress this stupid loving game.

This seems to be a bug related to using a character from the nightly through the Erchius quest. it sucks, I know at least two other goons had the same problem.

• Locked thread