Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I've been playing Shin Budokai: Another Road for PSP, and I'm actually kind of impressed by the silly story. It's something like Buu is released in Future Trunks' timeline, and so he is the only ZEE FIGHTOR around to beat him up. It's ridiculous, and gets really twisty with the timelines and stuff to bring the other dudes into the mix. What's kind of interesting is it's classified as an RPG on some sites and stuff and there's a weird customize system.

The roster is small and the fighting is the same as the Budokai games, but I really appreciate any DBZ game that tries to mix up the narrative. I thought the 3rd NES DBZ RPG was the coolest thing because of it's original story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Okay, I see the consensus about Battle of Z, but - having never owned it myself - I don't actually know the specifics. Anyone mind filling me in on what was wrong with it? Was it just bad? Bad for a DBZ game? Bad even for a DBZ game?

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Go check out some gameplay footage on youtube... it's really bad.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Firstborn posted:

So apparently if you have an Xbox 1

It's been so long, I literally forgot that Microsoft named the new Xbox, the Xbox One.

Such a loving terrible name, I actually thought you were talking about the Original X-box for a second and thought "wait, how does that work?"

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Esroc posted:

Oh god how I miss Faulconer's music. I don't even care if it's because of nostalgia, that scene was just better with his music.

His music is the definition of :krad:

A while ago, someone mentioned that the GT fights pretty much suck compared to the fun martial arts fights of DB and the balls-to-the-wall fights of DBZ. In particular, they highlighted (1) how inconsistent strength was and how weak some people seemed, like Vegeta being unable to lift a building in the final episodes, and (2) how slow and lovely the animations were.

I've been trying to think of a case where an attack in GT actually looked powerful, and jesus, it was tough. I can't think of anything on the Final Flash or the Buu Spirit Bomb level. This attack is about as good as it gets, unfortunately, and it gets like two seconds of build-up and is immediately dismissed.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

surf rock posted:

A while ago, someone mentioned that the GT fights pretty much suck compared to the fun martial arts fights of DB and the balls-to-the-wall fights of DBZ. In particular, they highlighted (1) how inconsistent strength was and how weak some people seemed, like Vegeta being unable to lift a building in the final episodes, and (2) how slow and lovely the animations were.

I've been trying to think of a case where an attack in GT actually looked powerful, and jesus, it was tough. I can't think of anything on the Final Flash or the Buu Spirit Bomb level. This attack is about as good as it gets, unfortunately, and it gets like two seconds of build-up and is immediately dismissed.

Jesus christ the smoke in the beginning is so bad. Also the 1 minute of doing nothing but showing a still of Super 17. How low budget was GT?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So according to the wiki, all created characters in Xenoverse can learn the Kaio-ken up to x20 and Nameks can choose to be the 9 foot tall King Piccolo type. Both very neat. Also they decided a Majin's antenna is just hair and can be styled as such. Makes sense, considering they are jelly people.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Please tell me that Majins can absorb people. I'd love to fight some cocky rear end Saiyan noobs online and then just eat them, their abilities, and then their EXP or whatever right up.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

surf rock posted:

"I admire your ability to die"? DBZA totally needs to steal that line for when he blasts Cell in half.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Hoooly poo poo, some of these costumes are hilarious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIMhzY-0E6Q These are unlockable costumes of other DBZ characters that you can wear on your custom character, just can't change the colors. It starts out pretty standard, but as it keeps going further, you run in to Videl's tournament outfit on a man, plus Android 18's outfit with the big pearl necklace, Emperor Pilaf's giant poofy collar outfit, the Dragonball "Native American" look, all of Ox King's clothes. Pretty amazing stuff here. I do like that if I wanted to make a big bruiser Saiyan down the road I could at least dress him like Broly.

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
I like that there's just a business suit costume.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I predict the Naziesque uniform will be used heavily.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

New Leaf posted:

"I admire your ability to die"? DBZA totally needs to steal that line for when he blasts Cell in half.

only with a 10 second pause as he goes 'Man I'm great. Such a great line'

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Extend your experience in the unique universe of Dragon Ball Xenoverse with the Season Pass!
More playable characters and many more exclusive elements included in the DLC packs:

Episodes and Quests
Masters and Masters Quests
Stages
Skills, Costumes and accessories
Z-souls

$25

:eng99:

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

New Leaf posted:

Hoooly poo poo, some of these costumes are hilarious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIMhzY-0E6Q These are unlockable costumes of other DBZ characters that you can wear on your custom character, just can't change the colors. It starts out pretty standard, but as it keeps going further, you run in to Videl's tournament outfit on a man, plus Android 18's outfit with the big pearl necklace, Emperor Pilaf's giant poofy collar outfit, the Dragonball "Native American" look, all of Ox King's clothes. Pretty amazing stuff here. I do like that if I wanted to make a big bruiser Saiyan down the road I could at least dress him like Broly.

Maybe my first character will be a big redhead with 16's armor. Nice to include that, if not him.

Kild posted:

Extend your experience in the unique universe of Dragon Ball Xenoverse with the Season Pass!
More playable characters and many more exclusive elements included in the DLC packs:

Episodes and Quests
Masters and Masters Quests
Stages
Skills, Costumes and accessories
Z-souls

$25

:eng99:

Well I can't say I didn't see that coming. New Episodes and Masters should be neat. Probably will have to pay to learn from a lot of the villains.

projecthalaxy fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Feb 8, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Cozz posted:

I like that there's just a business suit costume.

General Red's costume, actually :eng101:

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I was playing a side mission against Freeza and after I beat him some saiyan CaC named Yoghurtkun came out of nowhere and started to fight me during the mission it was cool

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
So wait, you got it on Xbone? Yoghurtkun, huh? Traitor, Saiyans are named after vegetables and stuff.

I've never gotten a season pass for a game ever, but I might go for this one. I know it might sound lovely, but I kind of like that at least there seems to be support for the game with added content. I know that some of the DLC is on-disc, which sucks and is a lovely practice, but I'm hoping for some great stuff later down the road.

I really like that they give you the CAC pieces for the characters they didn't include. It reminds me of the old wrestling games that would have the outfits for guys that weren't in the game or were in other promotions.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 8, 2015

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
So, today in DBM, uh... :stare:

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

General Red's costume, actually :eng101:

Once I saw that and went welp that's my costume. That or recreate that fanfiction of Goku being president and wanting to legalize weed. It's dumb and hilarious.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

New Leaf posted:

Hoooly poo poo, some of these costumes are hilarious. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIMhzY-0E6Q

Who's that between the Son Wukong costume and Android 18? Also what's the difference between the two Broly costumes?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Who's that between the Son Wukong costume and Android 18? Also what's the difference between the two Broly costumes?
Isn't that the outfit of the sniper who kills Hercule's dog?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

BMB5150 posted:

Once I saw that and went welp that's my costume. That or recreate that fanfiction of Goku being president and wanting to legalize weed. It's dumb and hilarious.

Legit one of my favorite things to come from the internet, that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Only a couple weeks away from the debut of Krln, earth's mightiest warrior.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ7kaaCHfnc
Video of Xenoverse Create-a-Goku Ultimate moves.

Interesting enough, no Spirit Bomb for CaCs. Also a few physical ones, which look kind of cool. I think I'll stick to the more generic looking ones rather than opt for just getting Kamehameha. I think the most baller one is probably Final Flash, but there's plenty of classy "make a Death Ball with one finger then swag pose after". Also, 2 Kienzan/Destructo Disc, and I guess 3 different SSJ 1 transformations?

The one at 00:31 is the best.
00:50 looks generic enough to use on any dude, and also looks pretty drat cool with all the close-ups.
And of course Nappa's two-finger-ground-explosion thing.
Trunks' "Heat Dome Attack" really does just go straight up above him with no opening attack to position them correctly. I feel like this will be waaaay too limited to use as a real Ultimate.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 8, 2015

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

If I was understanding that clip correctly, it looks like going SSJ fills your Ultimate slot, that's an interesting twist.

And yeah that seals it, my first dude is going to wear General Blue's suit and use one of the giant Death Balls. I wish it was the 27th.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
SSJ does fill an Ultimate slot, but all CaCs have 2 Ultimate slots.

Also apparently those 3 transformations were SSJ 1, that "SSJ Ascended" thing that Vegeta does in Cell Saga, and SSJ2.
SSJ Ascended or whatever only increases ki damage, not physical. Apparently.

"Powering Up"/Charging Ki Meter is also one of your Super slots, and there are two. One charges to full power unless interrupted, I think.

E: Also, I was wrong. It's not "ascended" SSJ, it's literally called "Super Vegeta", and it's the same as regular SSJ but increases Energy Attack instead of Physical Attack. So if your character leans that way, you have an option. Okay.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 8, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Firstborn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ7kaaCHfnc
Video of Xenoverse Create-a-Goku Ultimate moves.

Interesting enough, no Spirit Bomb for CaCs. Also a few physical ones, which look kind of cool. I think I'll stick to the more generic looking ones rather than opt for just getting Kamehameha. I think the most baller one is probably Final Flash, but there's plenty of classy "make a Death Ball with one finger then swag pose after". Also, 2 Kienzan/Destructo Disc, and I guess 3 different SSJ 1 transformations?

The one at 00:31 is the best.
00:50 looks generic enough to use on any dude, and also looks pretty drat cool with all the close-ups.
And of course Nappa's two-finger-ground-explosion thing.
Trunks' "Heat Dome Attack" really does just go straight up above him with no opening attack to position them correctly. I feel like this will be waaaay too limited to use as a real Ultimate.

Yeah, 00:50 is pretty awesome. Whose is that?

Edit: Also, that's a pretty slick outfit. I don't recognize it.

I feel bad for poor Mark in these, I imagine he was asked to help demonstrate some moves and didn't know what he was signing up for.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 8, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The one at 00:50 is actually one of Bardock's!
At 1:58: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFqj2-J8GSI It's probably called SUPER GOD STARDUST BREAKER CANNON or something.

I assume the green blasts are Broly and the Pink are Buu. There's a few others I just can't place at all, though.. like the one where he makes a bunch of death balls and then kicks/punches them and finishes with what looks like Jeice's Crusher Ball. Did he have a Super version of that?

There's also another telekinesis one besides Guldo's, but I don't know where that belongs.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 8, 2015

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

My main question is what the requirements to get a master are. Mainly, I want Frieza's ultimates (the expanding Death Ball and the Evil Purple Destructo Discs), but I wonder what the game will require of me before I can use them. Beating him in Story seems like a reasonable thing, maybe.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

I like hos he lolls his head to the side when he's doing Buu's attacks.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I am going to make the shortest lady saiyan possible and beat up nerds as a midget woman just for the rage it will invoke.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Firstborn posted:

There's a few others I just can't place at all, though.. like the one where he makes a bunch of death balls and then kicks/punches them and finishes with what looks like Jeice's Crusher Ball. Did he have a Super version of that?

One of the previous trailers had Jeice using that move, also showed Burter doing that blue tornado thing.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCTQvsEUmVk
Check out the Spirit Bomb at 00:41 or so. Holy gently caress. Gogeta's fighting style is also super cool. I know you can purchase different fighting styles, but I wonder if everyone's will be available. He also has "Bluff Kamehameha", where he shoots streamers and confetti out instead of ki. Look around 3:52, he does it like 3 times in a row.

\/\/\/ Yeah.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 9, 2015

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Looking at the roster video now. I assume the metallic purple forms of Cell, Buu, Gotenks, etc are the evil time wizards controlling them?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

That bardock move is called Saiyan Spirit, I believe, if you want to hunt it down once the game comes out. He uses it in Budokai 3 too.

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Firstborn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCTQvsEUmVk
Check out the Spirit Bomb at 00:41 or so. Holy gently caress. Gogeta's fighting style is also super cool. I know you can purchase different fighting styles, but I wonder if everyone's will be available. He also has "Bluff Kamehameha", where he shoots streamers and confetti out instead of ki. Look around 3:52, he does it like 3 times in a row.

\/\/\/ Yeah.

what the gently caress was that? the spirit bomb hit, made a few rear end slap noises and then vanished?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The lack of a dedicated impact screen kinda makes the attacks a bit underwhelming, yeah. Although that attack was blocked. Can you get into beam struggles in this game?

I think that one sparkly attack at 4:21 in the ultimate video has to be Whis'. It totally looks like something he'd do.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

g0lbez posted:

what the gently caress was that? the spirit bomb hit, made a few rear end slap noises and then vanished?

He started blocking it. That' how that character blocks.. for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

HGH posted:

The lack of a dedicated impact screen kinda makes the attacks a bit underwhelming, yeah.

Considering you can have more than just two dudes fighting at once, it would be kind of awkward if they were locked in a cutscene attack.

• Locked thread