Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

The Jumpoff posted:

I beat the new bullshit that is Lil' Hunter, I don't die immediately in the labs, I get through the dogs and IDPD guarding the throne, i kill the thrones first form and am forced to die to two cops in the second form because i ran out of ammo with Y.V.. The worst part is I even had recycle gland, but the only good bullet weapon that dropped the whole run was a Hyper Rifle that didn't come through the portal.

This game knows how to kick you in the dick, I swear.

I somehow managed to beat the throne with laser pistol / flame shotgun no laser brain and of course no laser ammo after. So when 3 shielders spawned...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I managed to beat the throne and get to that godawful sewers boss again a couple days ago. It was actually looking like I would win when the game had enough of my poo poo and decided to put a shield on the opposite side of the boss with no way to get to it.

They seriously need to be scaled back in more ways than one. Too much health, ability is incredibly obnoxious (in my opinion reflecting your attacks is just not good design in this game since it's so fast paced), gets a super accurate SMG, and their bullets fly extremely fast which is a big deal in this game. At this point I just never play rogue because she's pretty much "you liked dying to shields? Now that can happen an even greater percentage of the time!"

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Once you start to pretend that Horror and Rebel are the only playable characters, the enemy design makes a ton more sense.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
And shielders still make no loving sense, they punish you for going too fast and make you play a game of hide and seek to not die, Rebel allies are a liability against them and horror has no distinct advantage other than projectile destruction. It's pretty mindboggling that they haven't been changed at all in nearly a year, they are basically minibosses.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Oh, jesus. I picked up a golden wrench as YV to use it when I was out of ammo and died.

it didn't save :psyduck: praise yv

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
gently caress melee enemies and their multiple instances of damage per second bullshit

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

AndroidHub posted:

And shielders still make no loving sense, they punish you for going too fast and make you play a game of hide and seek to not die, Rebel allies are a liability against them and horror has no distinct advantage other than projectile destruction. It's pretty mindboggling that they haven't been changed at all in nearly a year, they are basically minibosses.

If reflected ally bullets are giving you trouble, you're not spawning *enough* allies, real talk. The IDPD shield is on a timer, but your shield lasts for as long as you can right click. Horror isn't specifically an answer to shielders, just high health enemies in general since he too doesn't run out of ammo.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Man, robot sure is fun. I got his throne butt, rabbit's paw and the crown of guns. Guns. Guns everywhere. Rooms full of guns, and a plentiful ammo supply because I was eating the guns I didn't want.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I liked Fish better when he was a chill rear end fish and not a creature from the black lagoon.

Thankfully, the in-game sprite didn't change.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Doctor Goat posted:

Oh, jesus. I picked up a golden wrench as YV to use it when I was out of ammo and died.

it didn't save :psyduck: praise yv

Even if it does, you can just drop the golden weapon and die which resets you back to default. This does work with YV's golden revolver as far as I'm aware. This came in handy when I accidentally picked up my friend's Golden Revolver right before dying as Chicken and started spawning without the sword.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Here's this week's update http://steamcommunity.com/games/nuclearthrone/announcements/detail/119679301071948380

quote:

Features
Probably the best feature in weeks: a new movie for Chicken to watch on her TV!
Tons of little effects for mutations, and character abilities.
Bolts now have sweet trails!
Further changes to the character portraits & mutation icons.

Balancing
Lil Hunter now spawns after a short delay, to give you some time to prepare the battlefield before fighting them.
Lil Hunter now breaks walls when flying around.
Lil Hunter's attack now has a bit more spread.
No more IDPD when taking a tour of the mansion. Security is better than that!
Removed friction from bolts.
Explo Freaks now wait a bit longer at the start of a level.
IDPD Portals now break walls, this might fix some "no portal" problems players have had.

Fixes
Horror's Throne Butt text now fits on the screen.
Better origin for the Golden Bazooka.
Fixed a Rad Canister crash.
Chicken no longer has normal rate of fire when using her special.
Pressing Q no longer swaps weapons. Use spacebar for now!
Changed some sound effects back to high quality after accidentally messing that up last week.
Some of the second tier Golden Weapons no longer spawn on your first Venus visit.

Misc
New hitmask for the small bone props in Desert.
Named some more Ultra Mutations.
The mutation icons on the HUD have been moved 1 pixel to the right.
Picking up bigger amounts of HP results in bigger hearts spawning.
Added flames behind Rockets and particles behind Plasma.
You now get a "NOT ENOUGH RADS" notification when trying to fire an Ultra Weapon without rads.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Bullshit, Q was ideal for switching weapons.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I'm sure Q being disabled is just a stopgap measure for now. It does suck but at least now my inability to not press Q will no longer result in my death.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Yeah, I'm a bit salty about that, I might just end up using ahk or something to restore the functionality.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Just use Steroids exclusively, never worry about it again

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I promise it'll take you a day or two to get used to spacebar.

What does "removed friction from bolts" mean? It penetrates more?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

jackofarcades posted:

I promise it'll take you a day or two to get used to spacebar.

What does "removed friction from bolts" mean? It penetrates more?

They slide out of your hands so you can't reload

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I think they fixed melee guys instantly one-shotting you at any health level, which is cool if true.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is gamma guts as bad as i think it is

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Tollymain posted:

Right now it's just a worse version of Sharp Teeth

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Well at least the IDPD don't deal contact damage, so Gamma Guts has that going for it. Still I only take it when the other mutation options are like Last Wish, Extra Feet, and Eagle Eyes or some weapon mutation that I don't need that run.

e: oh and probably don't take Impact Wrists as Rebel, the flying corpses will damage your allies.

Xenogenesis fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 8, 2015

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Gamma Guts works on bandits and crows so if you want to save bullets you can just strafe through them. It doesn't work on worms, rats, scorpions or other walking hitboxes though.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xenogenesis posted:

Well at least the IDPD don't deal contact damage, so Gamma Guts has that going for it. Still I only take it when the other mutation options are like Last Wish, Extra Feet, and Eagle Eyes or some weapon mutation that I don't need that run.

i'd rather take eagle eyes or extra feet over gamma guts i think

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Tollymain posted:

i'd rather take eagle eyes or extra feet over gamma guts i think

Yeah I'm not saying either of those are bad mutations, just personally Extra Feet makes it harder for me to bob and weave, and I prefer the larger spread of weapons like Super Crossbow or Laser Minigun on loops.

but i am saying Last Wish is a bad mutation

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Last wish is really only very rarely useful.
only picked it once because I had bad luck wigh ammo drops and needed some.
It's not a permanent upgrade like the other mutations so it's only ever useful when out of ammo. And even then you might prefer going straight for the weapon and ammo chest on the next level.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Last Wish can be good on Chicken because it restores any max HP she has lost from decapitations, but then again, I'm not sure if I want to play Chicken again after this patch.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

I think they need to go back to the drawing board and scrap Lil Hunter entirely because the concept is just completely counter to the pace of the game and he is not very fun to play against, especially if you roll a bad level.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Reiley posted:

I think they fixed melee guys instantly one-shotting you at any health level, which is cool if true.

False. I died like 5 times as Crystal from 10 HP from a single assassin swing.

Unless you meant other melee guys, in which case I don't know. But gently caress assassin's forever,

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Don't take big health chests, the game will crash when you touch it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Reiley posted:

I can confirm that this is false.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Does Chicken get full attack speed back with her Throne Butt

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Tollymain posted:

Gamma guts is loving amazing on Crystal if you also have his throne butt. Telefrag fools! Combine it with Boiling Veins to e.g. telefrag Big Dog. The only thing you need to know is which enemies do melee damage, because his shield doesn't protect you from that, only from bullets.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Reiley posted:

Gamma Guts works on bandits and crows so if you want to save bullets you can just strafe through them. It doesn't work on worms, rats, scorpions or other walking hitboxes though.

It kills worms, and the damage effect bounces rats/scorpions/crystalspiders away slightly preventing them from doing the "Oh you missed? rubrubrubyou'redead" instant murder. It's still not amazing, but it gives that little bit of protection from instant idiocy death.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think extra feet is actually not bad and does a lot to protect you from enemies who do damage by touching you, since it lets you outrun them. Then you can also dodge bullets by just running far out of the way of all of them instead of having to navigate through them. It's not great but definitely better than gamma guts, which I think I'd say is the worst upgrade in the game.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I'd say shotgun fingers / euphoria (except on eyes) / last wish / eyes ultra mutation with the holding bullets are worse compared to gamma guts in most situations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if you combined sharp teeth and gamma guts and added damage resistance from enemy melee, would it be on parity with good mutations then :v:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Samopsa posted:

I'd say shotgun fingers / euphoria (except on eyes) / last wish / eyes ultra mutation with the holding bullets are worse compared to gamma guts in most situations.

Shotgun fingers is pretty good actually. I really like it with the Slugger variants.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Shotgun fingers is pretty good actually. I really like it with the Slugger variants.

Yeah, if you can find a good shotgun it's surprisingly good. I loved firing a wave gun at basically random and racking up kills.

Does anyone else find explosive weapons to be overall...kind of utter garbage? You stand a good chance of getting yourself killed with them unless you pick up boiling veins, and even then it hardly feels like the risk is worth the pretty weak reward you get when it comes to their damage output.

Slime fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 9, 2015

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Slime posted:

Does anyone else find explosive weapons to be overall...kind of utter garbage? You stand a good chance of getting yourself killed with them unless you pick up boiling veins, and even then it hardly feels like the risk is worth the pretty weak reward you get when it comes to their damage output.

I like a lot of them. Grenade launcher and bazooka are both solid, and I hardly ever damage myself with them. You just need to be careful. I think the damage on both of those is pretty good, maybe not as high as some weapons but being able to blow up walls, hit stuff around corners, etc, is really good.

For crazy stuff like the gatling bazooka, you really should take boiling veins though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i just unlocked horror by going rebel and summoning as many allies as i could before embracing the sweet jaws of death and letting them avenge me :v:

• Locked thread