Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

PainterofCrap posted:

Are those weapons the nasty-rear end French machine guns that jammed all the time due to the open magazines?

The holes in the magazine are for speed. For high speed operators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I once saw an entire History Channel Special about how stupid those guns were. A full hour.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
So was the jamming just kind of ignored because most people are using bolt action so "It fires faster than that rifle even if you count the jamming :downs:" or what? I dont get how they kept those guns in service.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Richard Bong posted:

So was the jamming just kind of ignored because most people are using bolt action so "It fires faster than that rifle even if you count the jamming :downs:" or what? I dont get how they kept those guns in service.

Does your machine gun jam on average in less time than it took Oswald to kill JFK? If so, that's a lovely machine gun.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Richard Bong posted:

See, sometimes you end up with a lovely or mediocre product for a variety of reasons. Price, politics (ie, jobs and taxes), design compromises...fortunately that doesn't really happen much anymore.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6_8LMNlRnI

10 minutes of Syrian tanks getting their poo poo pushed in by TOWs. Plus lots and lots of takbirs. (natch)

"They want food. LET'S gently caress THEM UP!"

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Richard Bong posted:

I think by the time they realized they were unsuitable for trench warfare, the choices were, "keep the lovely machine gun in service until we find something better" or "some units go without machine guns."

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Scratch Monkey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6_8LMNlRnI

10 minutes of Syrian tanks getting their poo poo pushed in by TOWs. Plus lots and lots of takbirs. (natch)

"They want food. LET'S gently caress THEM UP!"

I just noticed the simulated strip club in the background. This isn't for overseas, its FEMA training. :tinfoil:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

bitcoin bastard posted:

I just noticed the simulated strip club in the background. This isn't for overseas, its FEMA training. :tinfoil:
We had "Meth Lab, No Smoking" painted on one of our fake conex buildings.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Godholio posted:

See, sometimes you end up with a lovely or mediocre product for a variety of reasons. Price, politics (ie, jobs and taxes), design compromises...fortunately that doesn't really happen much anymore.

you owe me a new keyboard bitch

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Richard Bong posted:

Well, they weren't in service for very long, they were replaced by BARs shortly before the war ended. It was kind of one of those situations where a lovely MG was better than no MG.

Thump! fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 8, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Thump! posted:

Well, they weren't in service for very long, they were replaced by BARs shortly before the war ended. It was kind of one of those situations where a lovely MG was better than no MG.

Actually, most of the American servicemen who got issued them dumped them as soon as they got a chance. They'd literally rather just grab a Springfield and remove any automatic rifleman function from their squad than put their lives on it.

See, the original Chauchat is pretty lovely but the American one was worse. They just started building them in .30-06 for the American forces that showed up late, but the gun was never really designed for such a long round and they incorrectly measured the chamber when converting the design. The guns could barely extract the casings without tearing them to shreds, which exacerbated the inherent problems in the design (substandard manufacturing with cheap metal parts, the gun literally stopping when it overheated due to the barrel sleeve's design, etc.) until it would only reliably fire a short burst before jamming. And the gun was the kind where you'd likely need to disassemble it to fix it.

The only reason they were using a lovely redesign of a lovely gun was because the US Army had beef with Col. Isaac Newton Lewis, who made the famous Lewis Gun, after his political differences from the Chief of the Ordnance Department resulted in them blocking the adoption of his design purely out of spite. He sold it to the British instead, and they made it popular. The Marines landing in France were actually given Lewis Guns....which were promptly taken away and replaced with Chauchats just because of General Crozier's personal hatred of the guy. It was basically a preview of the whiny piss-baby antics surrounding the M16.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
I've heard they also tried to increase the rate of fire from the original's sedate 250 rounds per minute, which probably caused more issues with the long-recoil system and overheating.

Ironically the .30-06 Chauchat fixed one of the major flaws with the original: it had a fully enclosed box magazine.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

God that is an ugly gun. Did the Central Powers have anything like that?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
no. they had the maxim.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Rnr posted:

Thats far from the most hard core stuff he did. He completed selection with Frřmandskorpset, which is a SEAL equivalent, afterwards he completed pilot training with the air force and flew F-16's. He currently holds rank of Captain (Navy) and Colonel (Air Force, Army) and teaches at the Royal Danish Defence College. The royals in Denmark can bugger off, but I do respect Frederik as the exceptional dude he is.

Edit, picture. Frederik doing an iron man.

You mean the SAAB t-17 right? Because he never trained in the f-16. Also, Sirius 2000 was a commercial trip and not a territorial patrol like normal Sirius patrols, still badass though.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mike-o posted:

no. they had the maxim.

Anyone know why they didn't develop anything like the BAR or Lewis gun? Was it a doctrine conflict or something?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Richard Bong posted:

The cutaways in the magazines were so you could see at a glance how many rounds were left. It was a dumb idea, given the realities of trench combat, what with the mud and the muck and bits of decaying person thereby finding their way into the operating mechanism of the gun, but the *French* version of the gun wasn't *that* bad.

The ones made by Gladiator for the A.E.F. were loving useless because they'd been rechambered for .30-06 and Gladiator screwed up the chamber dimensions. They literally would not load and fire more than a couple of rounds before the thermal expansion caused stoppages. The misaligned sights were entirely secondary for that; you can adjust sights and correct your aim but you can't correct a gun that can't actually load and fire the next round.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXbSiCgpdyg

Apparently the Ukrainians pasted a warehouse with a bunch of those humanitarian aid trucks parked in it, along with 200 rebels

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
All that food and water sure was volatile :downs:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kavak posted:

Anyone know why they didn't develop anything like the BAR or Lewis gun? Was it a doctrine conflict or something?

They did! The difference is that they wanted something that could be used in close quarters trench combat and thus invented the submachine gun. The BAR, Chauchat, and Lewis Gun were more traditional LMGs: they could be fired from the shoulder while standing and fired from the hip while advancing on a position, but they were best used deployed on a bipod to provide accurate suppressing fire. The relatively small size and light weight made it easier for one or two guys to haul the gun quickly from position to position, but it was still bulky as poo poo.

The closest the Germans came to a SAW was the MG 08/15.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

chitoryu12 posted:

The closest the Germans came to a SAW was the MG 08/15.

This actually seems like a pretty cool gat. It has some, uh, interesting design choices, but cool nonetheless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbt1_gyAPYY

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
The Germans apparently had a few thousand Madsen LMGs they either bought or seized as they were being shipped through Germany to neutral powers, but I've read they only issued them to their mountain infantry and cavalry units. It and the BAR were probably the best light machine guns/automatic rifles of the period.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

C.M. Kruger posted:

The Germans apparently had a few thousand Madsen LMGs they either bought or seized as they were being shipped through Germany to neutral powers, but I've read they only issued them to their mountain infantry and cavalry units. It and the BAR were probably the best light machine guns/automatic rifles of the period.

You'd probably enjoy this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L44vzCo33tc

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice
http://gfycat.com/WarlikeImpoliteAcouchi

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Bolow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXbSiCgpdyg

Apparently the Ukrainians pasted a warehouse with a bunch of those humanitarian aid trucks parked in it, along with 200 rebels

I'm seeing some conflicting reports on what exactly it was that blew up. Some are saying that it was an ammo depot, others are saying that it was chemical plant. I guess we'll know for sure within the next day or so. Whatever it was, it apparently shattered windows for several kilometres in all directions and scared the poo poo out of pretty much everyone in Donetsk.

Perhaps we can look at the youtube comments to find a informative and composed account of what happened

Youtube commenter posted:

Junta dropped on civilians atomic bomb, following the example of American Nazis bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

oh

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Reminds me of the poo poo the blackhats at airborne school do.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
The whole video is worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5pMSCv9-SU

Action starts at about 1 minute in

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

iyaayas01 posted:

So why do they do all that poo poo

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Zeris posted:

So why do they do all that poo poo

ours is not to reason why

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Because India and Pakistan I guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ImfIoX6zTM

I dunno, I'm sure there's some involved complicated cultural reason why militaries on the South Asian subcontinent behave this way but that'd probably take a lot of anthropological effort to figure out

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

iyaayas01 posted:

I dunno, I'm sure there's some involved complicated cultural reason why militaries on the South Asian subcontinent behave this way but that'd probably take a lot of anthropological effort to figure out

This owns actually.

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

iyaayas01 posted:

http://youtubedoubler.com/exlF

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I am worried American anime men and weaboos are presently working a cultural forking in the same style as Indian/Pakis who took British military decorum and culture and created these youtubes.

Zeris fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Feb 9, 2015

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

iyaayas01 posted:

Transforming artillery weapons, not precision drills lol

JiimyPopAli
Oct 5, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

This tradition dates back to 1972 when John Cleese visited the area and taught them about marching up and down the square.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Guys, I have some bad news. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/india/7902742/India-ends-goose-stepping-ceremony-after-soldiers-knee-injuries.html

quote:

However, despite drawing vast crowds, encouraged by officials of both sides who built amphitheatres for viewing, a senior officer in India's Border Security Force told The Daily Telegraph it was an "undignified" ceremony which caused mental strain and physical injury to the troops.

"Both sides had indulged in aggressive postures of late. It didn't give a very good look, so we talked to the Pakistan Rangers and after a mutual agreement, some of the aggressive postures have been toned down during the drill," said Inspector General Himmat Singh.
"In many cases the soldiers hurt their feet during the Beating the Retreat ceremony. The soldiers are happy now, it was an unnecessary mental tension," he added.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

The Wagah crossing ceremony is to European military tradition as Bollywood is to the Hollywood Blockbuster.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
It's basically an exaggeration of British drill & ceremonies. Subcontinental warfare always had a thing for flourish and pomp, so when the high-stepping, scarlet-jacketed Brits showed up, the locals had to outshine them.

• Locked thread