Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Tunicate posted:

So far, he's been in every cosmere novel, though not the short stories

He was not in The Emperor's Soul on-screen, but only because Sanderson felt like he didn't fit properly and (miracle of miracles) cut him from it. He would have been the court jester the main character alludes to as having kicked off the whole plot.

There are basically no coincidences in the Cosmere, to be honest. The whole thing is one giant chess game between the basically-gods which are the Shards of Adonalsium, virtually every main character has some connection to a shard or art thereof..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

He was not in The Emperor's Soul on-screen, but only because Sanderson felt like he didn't fit properly and (miracle of miracles) cut him from it. He would have been the court jester the main character alludes to as having kicked off the whole plot.

If you want that scene, though, it's online.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Ithaqua posted:

Going back to the first book after reading the second, the weakness revelation doesn't fully make sense to me.

Fear = weakness doesn't mesh very well with most of the weaknesses we've seen so far.

Fortuity's weakness is attractive women. Yet he's known for frequently "dating" attractive women, but he's still evil. Wouldn't confronting his fear of attractive women cure him?

Or maybe I'm underthinking it, and his fear is something related to attractive women, but not necessarily dating them or sleeping with them, so it doesn't count as confronting his fear. Something silly like that.

Steelheart's greatest fear is not being feared? I guess this one is okay, the second book states that he was a bully pre-powers, so I can see that working.
Nightwielder's fear is UV light? Or just sunlight? This one seems silly.
Firefight's fear is fire. That one is solid.

I don't remember if we've seen other weaknesses yet, those were just the ones I remembered off the top of my head.

I don't think its quite fear = weakness, because Mitosis' weakness was the music of his old band. He really hated that band, but it is quite a stretch to say that he feared it. (If he was smarter he would go around with earplugs or just poke a needle through his eardrums.)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
If not fear, some kind of aversion in general then.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
It just occurred to me that since calamity consciously chooses the powers and weaknesses of epics, he's literally a self-insert.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

There are basically no coincidences in the Cosmere, to be honest. The whole thing is one giant chess game between the basically-gods which are the Shards of Adonalsium, virtually every main character has some connection to a shard or art thereof..

Yeah it's basically a buncha demi-Gods and Hoid making everything happen in Cosmere. And Hoid is going around sucking up as much Investment as possible, and Investment is sort of like the leakage from the god-shard powers, in my understanding. So Hoid is sort of on the path to sucking up shard castoff from every world and maybe becoming his own new thing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Someone finally got around to putting in shardhunt code 500, so part two of the Alloy of Law Annotations will be out as soon as Peter Ahlstrom finishes editing them.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Someone finally got around to putting in shardhunt code 500, so part two of the Alloy of Law Annotations will be out as soon as Peter Ahlstrom finishes editing them.

Remind me what this is all about, please? Brandon just leaves codes lying around places, and when the world finds enough of them he puts stuff on his website?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I started reading Stormlight and it's a pretty fun read. The language is easy, the world is well presented, and power armor is pretty cool.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

amuayse posted:

I started reading Stormlight and it's a pretty fun read. The language is easy, the world is well presented, and power armor is pretty cool.

Started reading it as well, my first Sanderson book. It's been pretty rocky for me. Some of the dialogue is painful, especially Shallan and Wit, when they're trying to be witty. It's real groan-worthy. So far Sanderson has done a decent job of making me care about the world and the setting, sprinkling little mysteries here and there and using lots of Proper Nouns and compoundwords. Unfortunately that hasn't really translated to the characters. I'm a little over 300 pages in and don't give a drat about Kaladin or Shallan or the Blackthorn dude. They all come across as relatively flat characters. Granted, there's still a ton of words left to read and they might grow as characters. As of now though I'm not very invested in their individual stories.

apophenium fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 8, 2015

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

apophenium posted:

I'm a little over 300 words in

I'm assuming that's a typo?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Shallan's stuff never stops being painful for me to read and maybe it'll get better but I'm not holding out hope for it. As long as the next book can avoid having Kaladin lapse in to another several chapters of being a mopey crybaby I'll be happy. He probably will though, because not only was he informed his eyes are getting lighter, when he didn't ever want them to, but there's no way he returns to his parents and something terrible doesn't/hasn't happened.

Kaladin and Dalinar get more interesting. Shallan I can't bring myself to care about.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Evil Fluffy posted:

Kaladin and Dalinar get more interesting. Shallan I can't bring myself to care about.

Shallan gets better because she actually does stuff in the second book.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

computer parts posted:

Shallan gets better because she actually does stuff in the second book.

She also stops being quite as obnoxious in WoK once Jasnah calls her out on her habit of talking before thinking. She's only witty in her own mind, and everything she says when trying to be witty is awful. She improves dramatically in the second book.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Habibi posted:

I'm assuming that's a typo?

Yeah, meant pages, haha. So far, Rock is the coolest character. The Kaladin chapters are getting a bit less dull to read through now, with Rock around.

There was a Dalinar chapter I read that was talking about Callings and Glories and getting Elevated which came across to me as like videogame stuff. Adolin even talked about doing "personal goals" (quests). Am I just projecting this stuff on here or is it like an intended thing? It's really strange.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Their religion just seems goofy as hell because it's "do X and Y good things to be a higher tier in the church" or something. It seems really dumb until you realize it's copying the orders of the Knights Radiant which you can see with (large spoilers for both books) Kaladin essentially "leveling up" as he recites the Oaths for his order when they come to him, making his abilities/link stronger.

e: I don't think the books mention anything coming from being "elevated" except maybe more recognition by the religion?

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 8, 2015

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

apophenium posted:

There was a Dalinar chapter I read that was talking about Callings and Glories and getting Elevated which came across to me as like videogame stuff. Adolin even talked about doing "personal goals" (quests). Am I just projecting this stuff on here or is it like an intended thing? It's really strange.

Well its mostly their religion. Comparing it to an RPG wouldn't be to far off.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

apophenium posted:

Yeah, meant pages, haha. So far, Rock is the coolest character. The Kaladin chapters are getting a bit less dull to read through now, with Rock around.

I think you can break down most fantasy that way if you tried.

Character X has to do thing A. Meets (or leaves with) characters Y and X along the way. Has to do things B and C before A can be completed.

Sounds pretty boring put in those terms, but it's one of those things where the characters and journey are more interesting than the actual goals themselves. If you find all the characters boring, you probably aren't going to enjoy the book(s).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

Their religion just seems goofy as hell because it's "do X and Y good things to be a higher tier in the church" or something. It seems really dumb until you realize it's...

...Scientology. :stare:

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

apophenium posted:

Started reading it as well, my first Sanderson book. It's been pretty rocky for me. Some of the dialogue is painful, especially Shallan and Wit, when they're trying to be witty. It's real groan-worthy. So far Sanderson has done a decent job of making me care about the world and the setting, sprinkling little mysteries here and there and using lots of Proper Nouns and compoundwords. Unfortunately that hasn't really translated to the characters. I'm a little over 300 pages in and don't give a drat about Kaladin or Shallan or the Blackthorn dude. They all come across as relatively flat characters. Granted, there's still a ton of words left to read and they might grow as characters. As of now though I'm not very invested in their individual stories.

The main thing about Shallan is that she isn't supposed to be witty her dialogue is supposed to sound painful most people are just humoring her because of her position, all of the characters do grow on you it take a long while, I will say the second book handles that all way better as POV characters interact much more making characterization possible but he does a great job of rounding everyone out eventually

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

The main thing about Shallan is that she isn't supposed to be witty her dialogue is supposed to sound painful most people are just humoring her because of her position, all of the characters do grow on you it take a long while, I will say the second book handles that all way better as POV characters interact much more making characterization possible but he does a great job of rounding everyone out eventually

This is not the impression I got from reading. My impression was that we are supposed to think Shallan is super-clever.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Evil Fluffy posted:

Their religion just seems goofy as hell because it's "do X and Y good things to be a higher tier in the church" or something.

I actually really like the safehand stuff because it's like a combination of the hijab and of one hand traditionally not being used in society (although the latter is because you usually wipe poo poo with it).

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

The Ninth Layer posted:

This is not the impression I got from reading. My impression was that we are supposed to think Shallan is super-clever.

Na every one who reacts favourably towards it is either directly related to Shallan or has a vested interest it staying on her good side, employees or Assassins.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

apophenium posted:

The entire prologue of Way of Kings was pretty much a video game tutorial that vaguely reminded me of Devil May Cry.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

amuayse posted:

The entire prologue of Way of Kings was pretty much a video game tutorial that vaguely reminded me of Devil May Cry.

Haha yeah that is definitely a common view. If Erikson wrote the book, the opening scene would be Szeth flying into the room and taking out all the guards as seen from their perspective, and the mechanics would have been slowly gleaned over the next several books until you could retrospectivel figure out together how he'd done it.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Habibi posted:

Haha yeah that is definitely a common view. If Erikson wrote the book, the opening scene would be Szeth flying into the room and taking out all the guards as seen from their perspective, and the mechanics would have been slowly gleaned over the next several books until you could retrospectivel figure out together how he'd done it.

Also the guards would have been introduced first and developed as characters and would have been incredibly sympathetic, ensuring emotional impact when they got cut down by Szeth.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

apophenium posted:

Also the guards would have been introduced first and developed as characters and would have been incredibly sympathetic, ensuring emotional impact when they got cut down by Szeth.

Who would be described as a horrible monster. Until the next book, when a chapter devoted entirely to him builds him up into a sympathetic character that you root for and love.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

Shallan's stuff never stops being painful for me to read and maybe it'll get better but I'm not holding out hope for it. As long as the next book can avoid having Kaladin lapse in to another several chapters of being a mopey crybaby I'll be happy. He probably will though, because not only was he informed his eyes are getting lighter, when he didn't ever want them to, but there's no way he returns to his parents and something terrible doesn't/hasn't happened.

One thing to note, Kaladin is literally depressed. He has some kind of Season Affect Disorder and the timing of the year / The Weeping affects him greatly.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hughlander posted:

One thing to note, Kaladin is literally depressed. He has some kind of Season Affect Disorder and the timing of the year / The Weeping affects him greatly.

Well, he's depressed to start with, and he also hates the rain.

On a planet with regular hurricanes.

Sucks to be him.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I love both Shallan and Kaladin for their flaws. There, i said it. :colbert:

Also the little girl whos name i forgot from the intermissions. Because she's awesome and it upsets that one goon. :colbert: :colbert:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 9, 2015

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Well, he's depressed to start with, and he also hates the rain.

On a planet with regular hurricanes.

Sucks to be him.

Not to mention that month of just steady rain, that kinda blows.

apophenium posted:

And imo this is really a shame, because I find Sanderson to be really good at introducing a minor character in such a way that you know they don't matter to the plot, but you also care about them. Like that skaa elder from the Mistborn prologue.

egg tats fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Feb 9, 2015

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Thyrork posted:

I love both Shallan and Kaladin for their flaws. There, i said it. :colbert:

Also the little girl whos name i forgot from the intermissions. Because she's awesome and it upsets that one goon. :colbert: :colbert:

The one who can use her awesome to awesome herself up walls? Yes she's awesome and I think she'll be featured more in future books.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Tahirovic posted:

The one who can use her awesome to awesome herself up walls? Yes she's awesome and I think she'll be featured more in future books.

Set to be a secondary in book 5, and a major in book 6 if i remember correctly! :haw:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Na Kaladin likes the highstorms its just the ceaselessly lethargic rains of the weeping that depress him.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Rumda posted:

Na Kaladin likes the highstorms its just the ceaselessly lethargic rains of the weeping that depress him.

This would be me if I moved to Seattle.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
It doesn't help when you have a stormlight addiction, the Weeping is probably like a low grade opiate withdrawal for Kaladin.

edit: The Weeping doesn't contain stormlight does it? I may be misremembering.

Pong Daddy fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 9, 2015

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

It does not.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Pong Daddy posted:

It doesn't help when you have a stormlight addiction, the Weeping is probably like a low grade opiate withdrawal for Kaladin.

edit: The Weeping doesn't contain stormlight does it? I may be misremembering.

But the Everstorm does, so thats fine. So what if it also comes with death, destruction and evil spren?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage Trilogy Book 3) from noted Sanderclone Brian McClellan comes out tomorrow!

http://www.amazon.com/Autumn-Republic-Powder-Mage-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00KVK33AI/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Cicero posted:

The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage Trilogy Book 3) from noted Sanderclone Brian McClellan comes out tomorrow!

http://www.amazon.com/Autumn-Republic-Powder-Mage-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B00KVK33AI/

Oh, this is awesome! Low on cash at the moment so will probably pick it up next month.