Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

That looks like it's from some sort of Japanese variety show

Needs a picture in picture of someone laughing in the upper corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I was looking at the combined megazord again and I got to thinking that maybe this year we'll finally get a new (actual) carrierzord. It would make perfect sense too. Some kind of rolling throne or large animal that all the humanoid zords would sit in or on. It'd be sort of like ToQs progression where we'll probably see one more mecha that will combine, plus probably another ancillary zord, and finally the big expensive one everything attaches to. More like Shinkenger though instead of ToQ where everything was just plopped on.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Just got caught up on TOQ barring the current unsubbed episode. Did the US Mail mailbox in the last episode stand out as being weird to anyone else? Are they common in Japan or was it supposed to just mean they had a well decorated house or whatever?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Drive 17 subs are up.

I really really hope we see more of Professor Harley. :allears:

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
Okay, so I've been pretty into Kamen Rider for a good long while. I've watched all the way from Decade through to Drive now, only skipping Wizard because what even the christ.

I wanna get into Sentai because the last couple pages have made me want to buy every toy. What's a good show to start on? I'd prefer something that is actually completed so I don't get caught up and have to wait a week to watch the next episode again.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Okay, so I've been pretty into Kamen Rider for a good long while. I've watched all the way from Decade through to Drive now, only skipping Wizard because what even the christ.

I wanna get into Sentai because the last couple pages have made me want to buy every toy. What's a good show to start on? I'd prefer something that is actually completed so I don't get caught up and have to wait a week to watch the next episode again.

Zyuranger (subbed by GUIS), Kyoryuger (subbed by Over-Time), Gokaiger (subbed by Over-Time). All three links should be in the OP, but I can find them if you want, as soon as my net functions again.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Crono S. Magnum posted:

I started with Gokaiger. Some people will recommend against this, as its full of callbacks and references that will be lost on someone not well-versed in Sentai, and even spoils some season's plot points...but I found it to be a perfectly acceptable starting point and loved every minute of it.

I would also recommend Shinkenger with the caveat that Over-Time is only about half-way through with their subs of it so you'd have to go TV-N for the rest (which I know is a major sticking point for some people.

Go-Busters and Kyoryuger would also be decent starting points. Go-Busters had a surprisingly sophisticated plot for a kids show, but I wouldn't exactly hold it up as representative of Sentai as a whole. Kyoryu is possibly my favorite season ever, just from the sheer overwhelming sense of fun it had. It has a habit of getting too Red-centric for some people, but I think for the most part everyone got their due.

EDIT:

Serperoth posted:

Zyuranger (subbed by GUIS), Kyoryuger (subbed by Over-Time), Gokaiger (subbed by Over-Time). All three links should be in the OP, but I can find them if you want, as soon as my net functions again.

GUIS pulled their Zyuranger subs when Shout Factory announced they were releasing official DVDs, so if you don't already have those fansubs, you can't easily get them.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

jivjov posted:

GUIS pulled their Zyuranger subs when Shout Factory announced they were releasing official DVDs, so if you don't already have those fansubs, you can't easily get them.

Oh gently caress, I have the torrent but I lost the files when my drive crashed. That's something, and it's not like I can't BUY the DVDs at some point when they go out, but still kind of a bummer.

I'm with you on the recommendations, starting out with Gokaiger myself, and having loved Kyoryuger. Downloading Shinkenger and Go-Busters now, very hyped for both.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Serperoth posted:

That's fine, the links are in the OP like you said.

jivjov posted:

you'd have to go TV-N for the rest (which I know is a major sticking point for some people.

I'm not one of those people, so it doesn't matter as much for me. Like, I know they're poo poo but its sort of a force of habit thing now. I've been watching KR from TV-N for years now and every time I look for a new show, I just kinda default to them.

I'll probably go with Kyoryuger for now. I really want something fun after having just had to drag my friend through Gaim. I swear, love the guy like a brother but he cannot handle character deaths.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Gokaiger forward is all worth watching in my opinion. I liked Kyoryuger a lot less than the rest of the thread, but it's still a really solid series.

Prior to Gokai, Shinkenger's the only one I've watched I can recommend, though as jivjov mentioned, you'd have to resort to TVN to get the full series (don't do this)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Crono S. Magnum posted:

That's fine, the links are in the OP like you said.

I'm not one of those people, so it doesn't matter as much for me. Like, I know they're poo poo but its sort of a force of habit thing now. I've been watching KR from TV-N for years now and every time I look for a new show, I just kinda default to them.

I'll probably go with Kyoryuger for now. I really want something fun after having just had to drag my friend through Gaim. I swear, love the guy like a brother but he cannot handle character deaths.

Man, I loved the hell out of Gaim. And Kyoryu is pretty much complete tonal whiplash from that. Still great though!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Crono S. Magnum posted:

If you're going to watch Kyoryuger, definitely go with OT instead of TVN.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Some Numbers posted:

If you're going to watch Kyoryuger, definitely go with OT instead of TVN.

Yup. I'm on their site now. Is there a specific area I'm supposed to be looking for a Batch download or is it all single episode torrents?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Yup. I'm on their site now. Is there a specific area I'm supposed to be looking for a Batch download or is it all single episode torrents?

http://over-ti.me/releases/voltasaurs/

You want to go a few pages back and find the 1-24 batch.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Crono S. Magnum posted:

http://over-ti.me/?s=Voltasaur+batch

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008

Thanks guys. I'll get to watching this show!

Just from looking at the thumbnails for each release so far, it seems like I'm in for a magical ride.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Kyoryuger was so goddamn fun.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Kyoryuger was so goddamn fun until the last few episodes.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Seconding this. My main issues were everyone splitting off and it just being Daigo at the end and whatever weird bullshit love thing with Amy.

Also Nobuharu/Candelira4ever :(.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fooley posted:

Also Nobuharu/Candelira4ever :(.

OTP right there. Another big complaint I have: Not enough Ramirez

But you can never have enough Ramirez.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 9, 2015

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh hey, I'm not as alone as I thought.

I definitely didn't like the rest of the show as much as you guys though.

Crono S. Magnum
Feb 29, 2008
Trip report:

I am two episodes in. They have already dealt with a pair of character hooks that likely could have been utilized for an entire series if this show were poo poo.

The Dinosaurs can dance too.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Chiming in late, but if I could start over, I'd start with Kakuranger first. Then Jetman thru Dairanger. By the time you finish all that, overtime should have Shinkenger done. You need at least Jetman and Shinkenger under your belt to properly enjoy Gokaiger due to massive spoilers.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kyoryuger is written by Riku Sanjo, who is also behind Double and Drive, as well as being a secondary writer in Fourze.

Basically Sanjo's mad skilled and probably the best person Toei can easily call (and considering how much he's done in the past few years, he's clearly high on Toei's list and avaliable)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

I started with Gokaiger. Some people will recommend against this, as its full of callbacks and references that will be lost on someone not well-versed in Sentai, and even spoils some season's plot points...but I found it to be a perfectly acceptable starting point and loved every minute of it.

I would also recommend Shinkenger with the caveat that Over-Time is only about half-way through with their subs of it so you'd have to go TV-N for the rest (which I know is a major sticking point for some people.

Go-Busters and Kyoryuger would also be decent starting points. Go-Busters had a surprisingly sophisticated plot for a kids show, but I wouldn't exactly hold it up as representative of Sentai as a whole. Kyoryu is possibly my favorite season ever, just from the sheer overwhelming sense of fun it had. It has a habit of getting too Red-centric for some people, but I think for the most part everyone got their due.

EDIT:

Yea you can someone else reuploades it like a week later. This is the internet dummy everything is easily available.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Tran posted:

Chiming in late, but if I could start over, I'd start with Kakuranger first. Then Jetman thru Dairanger.
Yeah but that's old Sentai. Granted, where "old Sentai" ends and "modern Sentai" begins is not nearly as clear as it is for Kamen Rider. I personally would put the point at Megaranger, where 8 episodes in they moved from Friday night prime time to Sunday mornings. Not only did this radically alter their demographics, it also extended the episode running times from 20 to 25 minutes, which from a writing standpoint is huge. You could also make an argument for Gaoranger, where the toylines got way bigger and CGI took over practical effects, but I don't think it's that monumental a change. It's not like Kuuga and Agito lacking collectible devices keep it from being considered part of the Heisei era.

My point is if you're looking for a series to binge so you can watch Ninninger as it's airing, you'd want Kyoryuger.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Crono S. Magnum posted:

Trip report:

I am two episodes in. They have already dealt with a pair of character hooks that likely could have been utilized for an entire series if this show were poo poo.

The Dinosaurs can dance too.

That's basically how they go throughout the entire series, yeah. It's really refreshing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Literally The Worst posted:

Yea you can someone else reuploades it like a week later. This is the internet dummy everything is easily available.

It's not available through GUIS' website any longer. If you want to dig through back alley torrent sites, be my guest, but especially with a licensed release coming soon, I don't want to recommend that to someone.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Daigoger was so goddamn fun.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Yeah but that's old Sentai. Granted, where "old Sentai" ends and "modern Sentai" begins is not nearly as clear as it is for Kamen Rider. I personally would put the point at Megaranger, where 8 episodes in they moved from Friday night prime time to Sunday mornings. Not only did this radically alter their demographics, it also extended the episode running times from 20 to 25 minutes, which from a writing standpoint is huge. You could also make an argument for Gaoranger, where the toylines got way bigger and CGI took over practical effects, but I don't think it's that monumental a change. It's not like Kuuga and Agito lacking collectible devices keep it from being considered part of the Heisei era.

My point is if you're looking for a series to binge so you can watch Ninninger as it's airing, you'd want Kyoryuger.

I'd personally consider Zyuranger to be the beginning of what we'd consider "Modern" Sentai, mostly due to the mech designs starting to look less like colored blocks stacked together and more like, well, actual robots. It also started the concept of adding an additional ranger/extra hero every season (except for GoGoV, but even that had a 6th ranger like entity that appeared in the movie plus we got an American exclusive ranger in the Power Rangers adaption). Though adding a new member to the team wasn't exactly a new concept, (Big One in JAKQ, X1 Mask in Maskman(for all of one episode, but still...) and Black Bison/Green Sai in Liveman) it wasn't until Zyuranger on that it became a series staple.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Feb 10, 2015

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

It's not available through GUIS' website any longer. If you want to dig through back alley torrent sites, be my guest, but especially with a licensed release coming soon, I don't want to recommend that to someone.

Ah yes back alley torrent sites like the same exact one that the previous torrent was on and which most subs are listed on.

Come on man. It's Nyaa. It doesn't get less back alley than that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
You're missing the point...fansubs hang out in a legal gray area. Downloading a show that has a commercially available version, less so.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Buy the Zyuranger DVDs. Then watch the GUIS version. Comparing the two, I like GUIS's version more.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Dr Tran posted:

Buy the Zyuranger DVDs. Then watch the GUIS version. Comparing the two, I like GUIS's version more.

I thought it wasn't out for another week?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Fooley posted:

I thought it wasn't out for another week?

Apparently if you ordered direct from Shout Factory they sent them out a couple weeks ago.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Yeah, my pre-order came in a few weeks back. I watched maybe three episodes and lent it out.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

jivjov posted:

You're missing the point...fansubs hang out in a legal gray area. Downloading a show that has a commercially available version, less so.

Fansubs are not a legal grey area. You won't get sued for downloading them but they are just as illegal as downloads of licensed shows.

If you watched MMPR as a kid or even just remember the suits and zords then Zyu is a great choice. If not, Shinkenger is great, Gokaiger (with one exception) is great and Kyoryuger is fine too. If you do start with Gokaiger you'll want to skip the Jetman episode but other than that you should be fine. People say skip the Shinkenger episode too but honestly if you haven't seen the show before and aren't going to watch it any time soon, then I doubt you would remember what spoilerific things you saw.

Carranger would be another good choice (its a comedic series that parodies the standard formula a bit but also has fun characters and a plot and such) but the last five episodes or so have not been released yet and the subbing group is a little slow so who knows when the last few will drop.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 10, 2015

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I really hope Professor Harley sticks around for a while, he's just so drat lovable. The actor's voice sounds familiar though, was he the scientist from the first episode of Super-1?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
poo poo I didn't even know the official release was out yet. I'll have to get on that at some point when I have some cash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Literally The Worst posted:

poo poo I didn't even know the official release was out yet. I'll have to get on that at some point when I have some cash

Amazon has the release date as the 17th, so you've got a little time.

• Locked thread