Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Which one of you was in the top gear audience tonight asking that first question to Ricciardo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

He had some dog years had a decent bar but it was during the ferrari domination years then lucked out on a car which unlocked a aero advantage which gave them merc levels of dominance until the summer. And even then he nearly threw it away.

Hes done ok but i wouldn't say hes a great driver if the cars there he can get it going but hes not capable of dragging an under performing/badly setup car to an ok finish.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Ilanin posted:

I can tell that I'm gonna end up actually looking this up, but just on memory it feels like he has to be one of the world champions who spent the greatest proportion of his career driving cars that aren't capable of winning races. Jochen Rindt may have him beaten, though obviously Rindt would have spent longer in competitive machinery had he not died in 1970.

Jacques Villeneuve, surely.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

be nice wicka posted:

everyone thought he sucked -> wins a race
everyone still thought he sucked -> wins a title
everyone again thought he sucked -> beats hamilton
everyone inexplicably refuses to believe he doesn't suck -> ??? vs alonso

The first Wicka post I like.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Danny Ric on Top Gear: faster than Lewis in the same car, not too shabby.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Isn't Superhuman Seb still at the top of that list? The most versatile driver of the modern era. Graham Hill only wishes he could drive like that.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
As of last week, it was Lewis, Webbah and Vettel, before RIC.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

be nice wicka posted:

everyone thought he sucked -> wins a race
everyone still thought he sucked -> wins a title
everyone again thought he sucked -> beats hamilton
everyone inexplicably refuses to believe he doesn't suck -> ??? vs alonso

To be fair, he spent the preceding 8 years or so sucking bad, so you can understand why people would think that. If diresta had another decade to pull his socks up, maybe he could have won things too.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Button was genuinely good in a lot of his BAR years, and you can't pin how awful 07-08 was on him.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Riciardo just got the fastest time out of all the f1 drivers on top gear

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
are dan

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

JFairfax posted:

Riciardo just got the fastest time out of all the f1 drivers on top gear

Give him the 2014 championship retroactively, imo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

if you still don't think jenson button is an outstanding driver after canada 2011 you are beyond saving

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

be nice wicka posted:

if you still don't think jenson button is an outstanding driver after canada 2011 you are beyond saving

People keep forgetting he finished 2nd in the championship that year. If it hadn't been for Mr Newey, Jenson would have been a 2x WDC before Street Saint Hamilton.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This isn't the top gear thread, so don't spoil it.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Hungary '06 owns but my fondest memory of that race isn't Button's win but de la Rosa's podium :3:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJuQZKBPeSY

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
The new finger

http://gfycat.com/SizzlingIncompleteFairyfly

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

darth cookie posted:

People keep forgetting he finished 2nd in the championship that year. If it hadn't been for Mr Newey, Jenson would have been a 2x WDC before Street Saint Hamilton.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Button is pretty good and it's going to own next season when him and Alonso break the record for most 1-2 finishes by any team and finally bring McLaren (the best F1 team in history) a most deserved WCC.

McLaren-Honda ftw

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Button is pretty good and it's going to own next season when him and Alonso break the record for most 1-2 finishes by any team and finally bring McLaren (the best F1 team in history) a most deserved WCC.

McLaren-Honda ftw

by next season you meant 2015, right

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Marca.com had an article with Matt Morris who's McLarens chief of engineering or something and he said Alonso was pretty sad with the pace of the car but that they shouldn't have any problems matching last year's performance lmao

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

El Hefe posted:

Marca.com had an article with Matt Morris who's McLarens chief of engineering or something and he said Alonso was pretty sad with the pace of the car but that they shouldn't have any problems matching last year's performance lmao

i don't see what this has to do with real madrid

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Cojawfee posted:

This isn't the top gear thread, so don't spoil it.

Daniel Rickynobbymongspack is on it. It's already spoiled.

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u113/burlap_sack/finger1.gif

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

El Hefe posted:

Ferrari's or McLaren's?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

quote:

Williams driver Felipe Massa tweeted: "I think my helmet is too small for @Susie_Wolff..."

Apropos of nothing

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117629

Another of the Redbull brass essentially admitting they have no chance, before the season has even started...

I especially like where he says they might be in with a chance if Renault could reduce the horsepower deficit to only 40 or 50.

I supect its going to be a very long year if your not a Hamilton fan.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

AgentJotun posted:

Enjoy!

I hate Red Bull for their constant whinging. Not to deny that they aren't as fast as Merc but at least other teams target a fight a few months into the dev cycle. If Red Bull don't have an obviously dominant car they just go "Oh well game over guess we don't win life is really unfair for us lets change the rules"

Worst Team.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Try and remember Red Bull thought (PR labeled) of itself as the poor struggling underdog when winning 4 WDC's in a row.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Ferrari used to be the worst team. Cheating, whining when they didn't win, getting other teams in trouble for beating them, having an insufferable anus-clown at the top of the company, having a lovely meme for a driver and supporting sex-abuse.

But that now also describes Red Bull. So now I don't know which team to dislike more.

Aqualung
Oct 10, 2005

Don't worry guys, Ron knows the guy who drives the crane.

NtotheTC posted:

Enjoy!

I hate Red Bull for their constant whinging. Not to deny that they aren't as fast as Merc but at least other teams target a fight a few months into the dev cycle. If Red Bull don't have an obviously dominant car they just go "Oh well game over guess we don't win life is really unfair for us lets change the rules"

Worst Team.

That literally describes every team.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Brainwrong posted:

Ferrari used to be the worst team
supporting sex-abuse.

I'm not sure I know the story behind this one unless you're counting "being Italian".

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

honda are streaming some F1-related press conference at 5am GMT/midnight EST/all other timezones are irrelevant

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

NtotheTC posted:

I'm not sure I know the story behind this one unless you're counting "being Italian".

I made it up. But given how everyone that was popular in the eighties now seems to be a kiddy fiddler, it might well be true

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

be nice wicka posted:

honda are streaming some F1-related press conference at 5am GMT/midnight EST/all other timezones are irrelevant

because the Japanese love metaphor's Its going to be ASIMO painted in the McLaren livery falling down a flight of stairs.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Brainwrong posted:

I made it up. But given how everyone that was popular in the eighties now seems to be a kiddy fiddler, it might well be true

We'll never know if Senna was a child diddler.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

El Hefe posted:

McLaren-Honda ftw

Mmm hmmm. Getting a bit of a chub on here just thinking bout it.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K

1500quidporsche posted:

We'll never know if Senna was a child diddler.

Look at Balestre. Those are nonce glasses if ever I saw them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AgentJotun posted:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117629

Another of the Redbull brass essentially admitting they have no chance, before the season has even started...

I especially like where he says they might be in with a chance if Renault could reduce the horsepower deficit to only 40 or 50.

Perhaps but who knows. I don't think the Red Bull was that far behind Benz and chassis wise was pretty even.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 9, 2015

• Locked thread