Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

little munchkin posted:

I like how they made PotM's head smaller and then gave her tits bigger than her head.

Good to see Blizzard's art direction is developing by going in the Liefield direction. Check out Cenarius and Illidan. :v:

Her boobs probably didn't get any bigger; I suspect her back has completely changed angles, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Sure, I'd say they got a bit bigger. But I'd attribute it mostely to the original model having a stretched triangle as a breastplate and the new one having actual rounded boobs.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Batham posted:

Sure, I'd say they got a bit bigger. But I'd attribute it mostely to the original model having a stretched triangle as a breastplate and the new one having actual rounded boobs.

:ssh:

Rob Liefeld can't draw.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Synastren posted:

Good to see Blizzard's art direction is developing by going in the Liefield direction. Check out Cenarius and Illidan. :v:
Maiev's feet were made more visible though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Synastren posted:

Check out Cenarius and Illidan. :v:
Did... did Illidan get an emo teardrop on his ridiculous weapon? It's kinda fitting somehow.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
War3-in-SC2 mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--FxGGW3aY0

Looks pretty good.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Amnomia posted:

Mac OS X goons some dude over at hiveworkshop has posted a pretty decent Wineskin tutorial to get WC3 up and running:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/tutorial-submission-283/warcraft-iii-wineskin-mac-257050/

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

giZm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fWpiLecvdM
Singcast - Timg vs. Prower III part 1

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Pretty disappointed about the empty quote. I thought another one of these things was made and you got my hopes up for a second.

Also pretty disappointed about how those wc3 models turned out. I am full of disappointment

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

uh some dudes a few pages back were asking about getting wc3 running on mac os, clearly they missed the wineskin tutorial

also, cannot emphasis the singcast any more

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I just hope someone effectively remakes the Warcraft 2/3 campaign missions in the SC2 engine. That would honestly be better than any potential "Warcraft 4" Blizzard could feasibly come out with, provide hours of incredibly fun gameplay (some of which like the Warcraft 2 missions I haven't played since I was like 10 and had a DOS computer). I would hope for someone to remake Warcraft 1 missions too but I'm not really sure how that would translate, I don't remember much about the game other than annoyingly having to build adjacent to roads and the pace being mind-numbingly slow. I feel like Warcraft 2 would be a fascinating game to translate, especially with all the emphasis it had on naval warfare as compared to its successor and predecessor.

old man on a horse
Dec 27, 2014

I don't waste my magic on just anything
Boats were cool but I always skipped harvesting oil for more air dominance. Why even bother investing the resources into naval power?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

old man on a horse posted:

Boats were cool but I always skipped harvesting oil for more air dominance. Why even bother investing the resources into naval power?
Ships were definitely the coolest things, but they were always sort of handicapped by their role being set as inherently backup. You can win with a land army. You can win with an air army. Unless every landmass in the game is microscopic, you can't win with just a navy.
There's two ways I could see them making ships useful in a hypothetical future warcraft: go further down the wc2 route and make them such stat-monsters that if your opponent has a navy and you don't you just have to treat every section of the map near the water as a potential murderzone, or take a path a bit closer to what wc3 did for air units and give them a more varied set of roles and tricks that make them useful in a broader set of circumstances. Either way they also need a specific kind of map support in a way that air and land units don't - not necessarily in the form of the dreaded 'water map,' maybe just setups where you get a clear and obvious tactical advantage if you use boats. Windabout land paths that water lets you avoid, interconnected lakes that bring you near each others' primary expansions/starts?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
With regards to ladder play, I thought no-tavern maps were awful enough that I'd be happy if they never did water/nowater maps.

Lost Temple was always a banned map for me when I played random on ladder. No tavern, super easy militia fast expo, and 4+ easy camps that can drop blades? No thanks if I'm not human or orc.

I think Moon owned on that map but that guy is really good.

Alternative comedy idea - make them mass recallable and put an otherwise unreachable water area next to each main because the archmage isn't strong enough.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 9, 2015

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3710416

Games forum Warcraft 3 tournament, please sign up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If I buy this off the battle.net client, can I play online? I figured so but Blizzard's wording on the subject is vague. I wanna play some castle fight dammit.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Yes

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Endorph posted:

If I buy this off the battle.net client, can I play online? I figured so but Blizzard's wording on the subject is vague. I wanna play some castle fight dammit.

Castle Fight was so good. Too bad the poor imitation Nexus Wars or whatever in SC2 was loving awful, and no one really made a good CF clone :(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Xaris posted:

Castle Fight was so good. Too bad the poor imitation Nexus Wars or whatever in SC2 was loving awful, and no one really made a good CF clone :(
chaos was the poo poo

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
yeah, chaos was cool. i was more of a high-elf player though, bloodthirster start :getin:

also the well of pains owned, turn them off, save up mana, turn them on and watch entire army melt. or giant cannon tower spam. or when you could block in a ton of units and unleash them all at once. actually everything in that game was good and balanced.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I liked playing northern in castle fight for the jaina spam and world freezer

Humans for artillery were p insane too though

Zoness fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 2, 2015

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

old man on a horse posted:

Man whatever. Destroyers poo poo on dragons/gryphons and the battleship/juggernaught was also badass.

:colbert:

Thunder Sheep
Apr 3, 2009

Xaris posted:

Nexus wars was such a disappointment I gave up on sc2 custom maps.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Is the SC2 custom map scene still poo poo?

Edit: I haven't touched it since release.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Tykero posted:

Is the SC2 custom map scene still poo poo?

Edit: I haven't touched it since release.

It's not bad, but it's not the breeding ground of fantastic new UMS that people's rose-tinted glasses recall about WC3.

The SC2 Arcade is free to anyone--no SC2 even needed. There are some pretty solid games floating around out there, about a bazillion tower defenses, and some really clever arena style games. It is a bit underpopulated, depending on the game, though.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

uh warcraft 3 is pretty much the best game ever made, QED

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Amnomia posted:

uh warcraft 3 is pretty much the best game ever made, QED

Me not that kind of orc.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

The World of Warcraft maps that they made where each player was a different race on a loving huge rear end map could actually be a ton of fun. The games tended to run pretty long but all the difterent triggers and stuff meant you could do some really fun poo poo. I remember one game I was the trolls, and somehow managed to resurrect Hakkar in Zul'Gurub and unite all the trolls into a massive empire that conquered half the world. It ended in a massive final battle between roughly a billion trolls and the full strength burning legion in the tanaris desert

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

The World of Warcraft maps that they made where each player was a different race on a loving huge rear end map could actually be a ton of fun. The games tended to run pretty long but all the difterent triggers and stuff meant you could do some really fun poo poo. I remember one game I was the trolls, and somehow managed to resurrect Hakkar in Zul'Gurub and unite all the trolls into a massive empire that conquered half the world. It ended in a massive final battle between roughly a billion trolls and the full strength burning legion in the tanaris desert

same. warcraft 3 owns.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I remember this map. Im waiting for this and dbz tribute to be ported into glorious dota2 custom maps

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
I can't for the life of me beat even a single computer opponent on easy in a custom game. I get steamnrolled at one point or another. What am I doing wrong?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ManOfTheYear posted:

I can't for the life of me beat even a single computer opponent on easy in a custom game. I get steamnrolled at one point or another. What am I doing wrong?

Um, post a vod or replay?

Are you creeping properly with your heroes?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Zoness posted:

Um, post a vod or replay?

Are you creeping properly with your heroes?

Probably not, it's my first day of playing a rts game. I'm getting better, but what basically happens is that I don't have powerful enough army to either attack nor defend, it's the same deal both ways.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

ManOfTheYear posted:

Probably not, it's my first day of playing a rts game. I'm getting better, but what basically happens is that I don't have powerful enough army to either attack nor defend, it's the same deal both ways.

If you have no experience playing RTS games at all, I'd definitely suggest the single player campaign, or at least the tutorial + first few human missions, to get used to the game a bit without being overwhelmed by all the complexity of the full game.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

sirtommygunn posted:

If you have no experience playing RTS games at all, I'd definitely suggest the single player campaign, or at least the tutorial + first few human missions, to get used to the game a bit without being overwhelmed by all the complexity of the full game.

Yeah war3 has some design principles that run counter to most rtses like hero level and upkeep on top of an arguably much more vicious rock-paper-scissors system of armor/attack typing.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

ManOfTheYear posted:

Definitely play through the campaign (or at least a good chunk of it) before you try anything else if it's your first time playing any RTS. It's pretty good at slowly introducing you to units and the general style of play. Personally I also like the story a lot too but I'm biased because I'm a gigantic nerd.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ManOfTheYear posted:

not the popular opinion in here... but I'd say start with not War3 first as well for multiplayer, people that play are way too obsessed and/or maphack and you will just get trashed.

remeez
Jan 10, 2007

I loving love X Hero Siege/Defense. Looking through hundreds of Dota games for someone hosting it, not so much. Well, thats my Warcraft 3 story bye

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

remeez posted:

I loving love X Hero Siege/Defense. Looking through hundreds of Dota games for someone hosting it, not so much. Well, thats my Warcraft 3 story bye
Yeah, the over saturation of Dota games kinda ruined the custom map scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billy Elliot
Jul 7, 2011

Space Pirate
I wasn't a big fan of custom games. I felt they were all hero arenas and eventually all dota. I liked the hero aspect of WC3 the best of any RTS, but playing a hero solo is boring to me.

I still haven't played in ages but I keep up on a few streamers (sosorryman) and you tubers and they did a ladder reset, changed the mals, and now going back because of complaints?

I mean, isn't map variety good? Everyone plays the same map and, generally, it is mirrored so why all the fuss?