Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
I'm going to have a few friends over and we were going to play some Hearts of Iron. Should we get II or III? A couple dudes have ageing computers so we were thinking of getting II. Is it stable enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Get Darkest Hour, it's II but better (Don't select any mods and you're literally playing Hearts of Iron II). Do not, under any circumstances, play Hearts of Iron III.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Kavak posted:

Do not, under any circumstances, play Hearts of Iron III.

He never said he liked his friends :v:.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

How stable is Darkest Hour (and Kaiserreich) for multiplayer? It's from the time when Paradox didn't know how to do netcode, so I assume it's basically nonfunctional compared to EU4.

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
So, what's the general consensus on how HoI4 is shaping up?

I've only played CKII and EU4, and I enjoy them both. HoI4 looks like it'll be pretty fun and accessible, as far as overdetailed global war games go, but I was wondering what the general consensus among old hands was...beyond the counter/sprite civil war.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

ZombieLenin posted:

Dear Paradox (Wiz are you listening),

CK2 is in what, it's 4th year? EUIV in its second or third (I'm old I lose track of time easily). I am loving ready for Vicky 3. I cannot be the only one. Given your popularity lately are you really still worried Vicky doesn't (or won't) have a big enough audience?

I mean, yes HOI4 will make you more money and I'm excited about it, but I, your random goon fan on the interweb, is getting a little sick of running Vicky 2. I need Vicky 3 to make my life complete.

Edit

You could win the war as Germany in HOI2 starting at the 1944 scenario. It was a really difficult challenge, but how I knew I had finally become a good HOI player.

No gently caress you, Rome 2 first.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

nutranurse posted:

Seriously, how come no one is demading this?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

nutranurse posted:

Set in the waning days of the empire when it is under siege by the barbarian Germanic hordes..

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

vyelkin posted:

If I can't put so many divisions in one province that the stack of counters stretches across three whole countries and rests its head somewhere in the North Sea, what is even the point of living?

P.S. Paradox please make sprites the only option in HOI4 but let people pay $100 for a shoddy hastily thrown together NATO counter DLC that gets half the symbols wrong.

gently caress that. Make Warsaw Pact tactical symbols the default, then charge grognards $1000 to unlock Sprites. $10,000 if they want NATO symbols.

Affi posted:

I'm going to have a few friends over and we were going to play some Hearts of Iron. Should we get II or III? A couple dudes have ageing computers so we were thinking of getting II. Is it stable enough?

You want Darkest Hour, which is essentially the "finished" version of HOI2. Do not get HOI3. Do not even think to long about HOI3 or your brain might melt.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 8, 2015

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kavak posted:

Darkest Hour is really weird with its unit building- navies are ridiculously cheap IC-wise, but incredibly slow, and the assembly line techs are minimally helpful. I guess there may have been a system planned where you could take the long-term approach or pump a bunch of IC into a unit to cut its build time way the hell down.

Gah. Oh well. I was trying to find a way to take the fight to Japan as Nat China, but I think there's no reasonable way to get through Japan's navy before 1950 or so (I tried destroyer spam and failed miserably; I tried naval bombers and failed miserably; etc.).

Back to Kaiserreich.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

ulmont posted:

Gah. Oh well. I was trying to find a way to take the fight to Japan as Nat China, but I think there's no reasonable way to get through Japan's navy before 1950 or so (I tried destroyer spam and failed miserably; I tried naval bombers and failed miserably; etc.).

Back to Kaiserreich.

Sub spam didn't work either? I found that current-tech subs with torpedos, spammed endlessly, can take down nearly everything that isn't minmaxed to hell simply through sheer attrition.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

ulmont posted:

Back to Kaiserreich.

Every time someone writes "Nat China", I think they rolled "China" on a die, like how in D&D you can roll a "nat 20".

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

VostokProgram posted:

Every time someone writes "Nat China", I think they rolled "China" on a die, like how in D&D you can roll a "nat 20".

"OK, time to determine how many orcs you encounter..."
"And, what did you roll, DM?"
"...I rolled a nat China".

And then a TPK ensues as 1.26 billion orcs swamp the party and the entire world.

Yeah, I could see that happening, somehow.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Whenever National France in Kaiserreich comes up, I have to stop myself from calling it Natty France. I don't know why, but I'm in favor of pinning an "-ist" on it to stop it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TheMcD posted:

Sub spam didn't work either? I found that current-tech subs with torpedos, spammed endlessly, can take down nearly everything that isn't minmaxed to hell simply through sheer attrition.
I'll give that one more run. How endlessly are you talking - stacks of 30 or stacks of 100?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

ulmont posted:

I'll give that one more run. How endlessly are you talking - stacks of 30 or stacks of 100?

As much as you can handle building, sorted in stacks of 30 (as far as leaders permitting, that is - if no leaders permitting, things get more complicated). Preferably so many that you can put a stack in every potentially problematic sea zone and then some. Easier when you're trying to blockade Britain as Germany, might be tougher when it comes to Japan.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 8, 2015

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Mans posted:

Seriously, how come no one is demading this?

Rome 2 has its partisans on the official forums. I'd rather play it then V3, myself.

Anyway, they're supposed to have two(3?) games in the works. I think the rumor was that one of them was new era/ip, but I'm willing to bet the other one is either V3 or R2, probably V3. Pretty good chance it will get announced sometime this year, too, so...

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Feb 8, 2015

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
I would take Rome 2 over the Voodoo economics simulator part 4 any day

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

TheMcD posted:

As much as you can handle building, sorted in stacks of 30 (as far as leaders permitting, that is - if no leaders permitting, things get more complicated).

Huh? Just promote anyone to grand admiral.

MilkmanLuke posted:

So, what's the general consensus on how HoI4 is shaping up?

I've only played CKII and EU4, and I enjoy them both. HoI4 looks like it'll be pretty fun and accessible, as far as overdetailed global war games go, but I was wondering what the general consensus among old hands was...beyond the counter/sprite civil war.

Looks fuckin' awesome. My only concern is that there doesn't appear to be a mechanic for grouping divisions into armies - you just have to drag a box over them like in Command and Conquer games. I'd like a way to keep my tanks together in a single army for breakthroughs. Could be they haven't added it yet or I've completely missed something, though.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Kavak posted:

Do not, under any circumstances, play Hearts of Iron III.

ZombieLenin posted:

Do not get HOI3. Do not even think to long about HOI3 or your brain might melt.

I sank hundreds of hours into HoI3 and had fun, or maybe that was just the Stockholm (ha!) Syndrome kicking in. :unsmith:

But seriously, Darkest Hour is the better game. HoI3 couldn't decide if it wanted to be a grand strategy game or operational wargame, and suffered from trying to do both at once. Darkest Hour knows what it is and builds on years of refinement of HoI2. It's great.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Gort posted:

Huh? Just promote anyone to grand admiral.

Well, depending on the country, there might be nobody left that you can promote once you get to the fifth or sixth stack, either because of a lack of experience or a lack of leaders, period. From then on, you've got to get a bit more creative. Essentially, don't expect to be putting out ten plus 30-sub stacks as Hungary.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gort posted:

Looks fuckin' awesome. My only concern is that there doesn't appear to be a mechanic for grouping divisions into armies - you just have to drag a box over them like in Command and Conquer games. I'd like a way to keep my tanks together in a single army for breakthroughs. Could be they haven't added it yet or I've completely missed something, though.

The impression I got from that Gamescom video was that you're not really supposed to be thinking on that low a level. Though I guess there's nothing stopping you from assigning the INF to one group and the ARM to a separate one on the same front.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Autonomous Monster posted:

Though I guess there's nothing stopping you from assigning the INF to one group and the ARM to a separate one on the same front.

Yeah, I guess to do that you need to find and select all the ARM individually - if they've just finished executing a different battleplan it might be more of a pain than it needs to be. Maybe you can do the RTS thing of pressing CTRL and a number and it'll bookmark all the currently selected divisions so you can easily get at them later or something.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I would get super excited about Rome 2 if they announced it, Rome ended up being pretty fun and if we're talking unmodded only I would rather play Rome + expansions over any Paradox game pre-CK2/EU4. The only reason I mostly kept playing EU3 was better mods. I mean the biggest problem with Rome was too many empty provinces and not enough enemies to have good fights with, I'm pretty sure they could take EU4 and slap some Rome stuff on top of it and it would kick rear end but at the same time I also feel like they would want to do more than just that.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
usefulinformationallinoneplace.jpg

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

stop posting about loving counters you degenerate autists

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hurp durp. the unit graphics in a wargame where combat is mostly just armies moving from province to province in a slightly more indepth version of risk matters a LOT to me.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Japan needs to encircle the hell out of Kigali. Do it. It would solve the problem of the oversized counter stack.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm playing a game of HOI3 with all the dlcs for the first time in a long time and I'm having tons of fun. It's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sharzak posted:

I'm playing a game of HOI3 with all the dlcs for the first time in a long time and I'm having tons of fun. It's nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be.

It really is a good game but I understand that a ton of mod work went into HoI2 and people love it to death, and that is fine. But HoI3 really is a good game.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sharzak posted:

A fully patched and dlc'd HOI3 isn't terrible, it's just utterly devoid of character. What was an abomination was release-state HOI3.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Alchenar posted:

A fully patched and dlc'd HOI3 isn't terrible, it's just utterly devoid of character. What was an abomination was release-state HOI3.

I gave up shortly after release. Let me ask you: does Finland still always join the Allies and does Mexico still try to invade northern Germany in 1940?

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

A_Raving_Loon posted:

Got together all the data I needed, so I am now prepared to issue a :siren:call to arms:siren: and try the original boardgame with goons.

You're all madmen. Glorious, glorious madmen.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

TheMcD posted:

Well, depending on the country, there might be nobody left that you can promote once you get to the fifth or sixth stack, either because of a lack of experience or a lack of leaders, period. From then on, you've got to get a bit more creative. Essentially, don't expect to be putting out ten plus 30-sub stacks as Hungary.

Yeah, I ran out of Grand Admirals at 2 as Nat China, although I may have miscalculated one other possible guy. It worked out anyway.

HOWEVER: It's not worth trying. As soon as the US goes to war with Japan, the US controls the end of the war. I had Japan down to 2 VP (Iwo Jima and Truk) when the surrender event fired, and suddenly I had a white peace with Japan based on US events. Around June 1942.

Back to Kaiserreich.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
CK2.

I had a chancellor that I wanted to keep and my demense was too much so I gave him a county. He left the council and the seat was then open. Figuring that since he took the county I needed to replace him I put in another person. However now the original chancellor is pissed from being fired from the council. Am I missing something here or is this a bug?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Excelsiortothemax posted:

CK2.

I had a chancellor that I wanted to keep and my demense was too much so I gave him a county. He left the council and the seat was then open. Figuring that since he took the county I needed to replace him I put in another person. However now the original chancellor is pissed from being fired from the council. Am I missing something here or is this a bug?

It's a bug: giving a councillor a landed title boots him from the council, but he's still eligible for it. Let the game tick a day and then he'll show up again in the "appoint chancellor" list.

ganglysumbia
Jan 29, 2005
It's been over a year since I've played DH:KR, has it changed much? I remember a lot of events never firing and the end game just getting boring.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Probably hasn't updated since you last played it, so no. There is one in the pipeline for "soon", but...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I got HoI3 + all the expansions and DLC in some bundle a month or two ago. I'd honestly give the game a fair shake, and probably think I'd enjoy it just a little bit, if it didn't crash to desktop pretty much constantly in Windows 8.1... anyone know of a fix for this? It happens once every like half hour or so, with no error generated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Drone posted:

I got HoI3 + all the expansions and DLC in some bundle a month or two ago. I'd honestly give the game a fair shake, and probably think I'd enjoy it just a little bit, if it didn't crash to desktop pretty much constantly in Windows 8.1... anyone know of a fix for this? It happens once every like half hour or so, with no error generated.

Did your supplies counter turn ridiculously negative a little before the crash? That one got me last time I tried HoI3

• Locked thread