Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
My Vu Car should be here next week, I'll be testing with a N6+Diztronic TPU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nerve posted:

My Vu Car should be here next week, I'll be testing with a N6+Diztronic TPU

You're me, so your test is very important to me. Thanks!

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I almost pulled the trigger before remembering I don't like having my giant phone at face level while driving in the perpetual dark pouring rain misery that is the pacific northwest.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
From a couple of pages back:

seravid posted:

edit: ^^^^^ Lollipop helps a bit, but not enough. Do you have the playstation icons yet? If not, here's how they're going to look (compared to the regular, not clown-sized icons for your convenience) :

Right after the Lollipop update I still had the old ICS icons, but a subsequent update bought the massive Playstation style.

I actually don't mine them - sure they look retarded but they don't actually impact usability in any way. The notification area is a much bigger issue as the giant text/icons/clock/brightness slider means that despite the giant screen less fits up there than a normal sized phone

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
The Diztronic TPU is looking pretty good to me, but what about a screen protector? Will that fit just fine with the case? The MIME Ghost Glass a generally recognized good one?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Dohaeris posted:

The Diztronic TPU is looking pretty good to me, but what about a screen protector? Will that fit just fine with the case? The MIME Ghost Glass a generally recognized good one?

The case will fit with whichever glass screen protector you pick

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Endless Mike posted:

The Droid Turbo is right there.

Yeah, but I don't have any of the Verizon additions. Theoretically Motorola might hand off the update to Verizon who sends it out as OTA, and I'm screwed because I'm not on Verizon. Or if the update is available for manual installation, it's packaged for the Droid Turbo and I end up with Verizon junk. I might be entirely fine, but it's also possible I'm being overlooked when the phone basically doesn't exist on Motorola's website. :shrug:

e: Punching my phone's IMEI number into Motorola's "Don't know your phone model?" tool results in "Unable to find phone model. Please try again." Looks like they have a subforum for Maxx discussion, at least.

isndl fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 8, 2015

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Dohaeris posted:

Mime makes top of the line glass. Just be aware that with the beveled edge, I don't think anyone makes a tempered glass protector that goes to the edges of the screen yet.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Sony Z3C unlocked for $450: http://dealnews.com/Unlocked-Sony-Xperia-Z3-Compact-Android-Phone-for-450-free-shipping/1275088.html

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Girlfriends G2 took a quick stop under a running faucet, and we immediately turned it off and threw it in a bag of rice and silica gel. Anyone ever had a G2 take a tumble into water? Are we screwed?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Protocol7 posted:

Girlfriends G2 took a quick stop under a running faucet, and we immediately turned it off and threw it in a bag of rice and silica gel. Anyone ever had a G2 take a tumble into water? Are we screwed?

My OG Droid sat submerged in pee overnight and a day in rice fixed it right up. But, my gf's Droid 2 took a 5 second dive into the toilet and died a slow death of even after being in rice. So, you'll just have to wait and see.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

dissss posted:

Right after the Lollipop update I still had the old ICS icons, but a subsequent update bought the massive Playstation style.

I actually don't mine them - sure they look retarded but they don't actually impact usability in any way. The notification area is a much bigger issue as the giant text/icons/clock/brightness slider means that despite the giant screen less fits up there than a normal sized phone

As I said - and as you can see in the image - CM12 fixes all of that. I can't guarantee it'll work flawlessly on your phone (like it pretty much does on mine), but it's definitely worth a shot if you don't mind messing around with roots and stuff.

The over-sharpening doesn't bother you? For me browsing was bad, but reading a book on the Kindle app with the sepia background was impossible; my eyes just couldn't handle it. What the gently caress is wrong with LG's software team...

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

XIII posted:

My OG Droid sat submerged in pee overnight and a day in rice fixed it right up. But, my gf's Droid 2 took a 5 second dive into the toilet and died a slow death of even after being in rice. So, you'll just have to wait and see.

But how was the rice?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rice and silica gel don't actually do much since they need direct contact with the liquid to absorb it, so at best, it will slightly speed up the evaporation, and it's the deposits left behind that cause electronics to die, which are going to be there regardless of how fast it dries.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Endless Mike posted:

Rice and silica gel don't actually do much since they need direct contact with the liquid to absorb it, so at best, it will slightly speed up the evaporation, and it's the deposits left behind that cause electronics to die, which are going to be there regardless of how fast it dries.

I meant as far as taste goes.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well seasoned, probably.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="441291648"]
But how was the rice?

I've had better.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Spent whole morning watching youtube tutorial and replacing the crack screen on my phone.

The scary thing is, different videos give you slightly difference instructions on how to remove the mother board, or whether to remove a certain module before you blow dryer the glue.

At one point there was no touch respond on the touch screen at all. A couple reboots got everything working. After putting up with the cracked screen for half a year, it was very rewarding.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 8, 2015

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

and it's the deposits left behind that cause electronics to die,
How's that? Dry salt is an insulator. It's when in solution (wet) that they're conductive and chemically corrosive.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

How's that? Dry salt is an insulator. It's when in solution (wet) that they're conductive and chemically corrosive.
There are also other trace minerals and metals dissolved in water that do conduct, even when dry.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The thing won't turn on or show any signs of life when plugged in, so we're just going to hope Sprint will do something about it. (Probably not, but Best Buy has used iPhones for a hundred bucks, which will do...)

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Protocol7 posted:

The thing won't turn on or show any signs of life when plugged in, so we're just going to hope Sprint will do something about it. (Probably not, but Best Buy has used iPhones for a hundred bucks, which will do...)

I know that phones are sort of a required thing when leaving the house now, but you didn't leave it in the drying environment for very long. I've heard 2+ days is often recommended while your posts are 16 hours apart. It may just need more time before you mess with it since it really takes a while for water to get out of enclosed areas.

Sprint probably won't do anything since it's user error but if you're heading out for a new phone already I guess it's a moot point.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Maybe get a phone...with...removable battery?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

whatever7 posted:

Maybe get a phone...with...removable battery?

I didn't know removable batteries made phones waterproof!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Well duh, if you take the battery out it's not electronic anymore.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I've got a Nexus 4 that is just about at the end of its useful lifespan. Since updating to Lollipop it's super slow and laggy and barely has enough memory space for the apps I use so I figure I should update. I'd like to get something roughly the same size (4.7" screen) so I can keep it in my pocket and preferably as close to a pure Android OS as possible. A good camera and decent storage size (or the option to stick an SD card in to increase storage) wouldn't go astray either.

So with those criteria what are the current best phones on the market? Is the Nexus 5 any good or is there something better out there?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

cyberia posted:

I've got a Nexus 4 that is just about at the end of its useful lifespan. Since updating to Lollipop it's super slow and laggy and barely has enough memory space for the apps I use so I figure I should update. I'd like to get something roughly the same size (4.7" screen) so I can keep it in my pocket and preferably as close to a pure Android OS as possible. A good camera and decent storage size (or the option to stick an SD card in to increase storage) wouldn't go astray either.

So with those criteria what are the current best phones on the market? Is the Nexus 5 any good or is there something better out there?

Xperia Z3 or Z3 Compact. Pretty much the best I'm class under 5 inches

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Well looks like my Nexus 6 came with a dodgy rear camera module, real bad artifacts to dead about 2-3 seconds after turning it on, if it turns on. I noticed some artifacts about 2 weeks ago in 1-2 pictures but thought maybe it was a HDR mess up until now. Since it took a month for this to culminate Motorola wants me to send it for repair. :smithicide:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lblitzer posted:

Pretty much the best I'm class under 5 inches

:heysexy:

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Lblitzer posted:

Pretty much the best I'm class under 5 inches

My nickname in college

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

cyberia posted:

The Moto X (2014) is also good. The display is on the large side at 5.2", but the phone has small bezels and tapers thin toward the edges, which helps it still be manageable.

Phonearena.com has a phone size comparison tool.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Lblitzer posted:

Xperia Z3 or Z3 Compact. Pretty much the best I'm class under 5 inches

Rastor posted:

The Moto X (2014) is also good. The display is on the large side at 5.2", but the phone has small bezels and tapers thin toward the edges, which helps it still be manageable.

Phonearena.com has a phone size comparison tool.

They both look pretty good but, dang, there's a big price jump from the Nexus 5 to either of those phones. I might have to find a store and try them out before I pick one. Thanks, goons.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

cyberia posted:

They both look pretty good but, dang, there's a big price jump from the Nexus 5 to either of those phones. I might have to find a store and try them out before I pick one. Thanks, goons.

Nexus 5 is a big upgrade from the Nexus 4, and for the price is tough to beat.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

RVProfootballer posted:

Nexus 5 is a big upgrade from the Nexus 4, and for the price is tough to beat.

Just FYI - it's sold out from the Play store again.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Yeah, I noticed it's sold out but there's a local online retailer selling it for RRP + a hundred bucks which is still $200 cheaper than either the Z3 or Moto X.

Also, if I'm getting a new phone I should probably get my wife a new phone as well. What non-phablet Android has the best camera for selfie-taking purposes these days?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

cyberia posted:

Keep in mind, the Moto X is discounted $100 until Valentine's day. If it's anything like the last Moto promotion, and you wait until Saturday the 14th, there will be codes worth an additional $40 off floating around the internet.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
drat autocorrect.

The Nexus 5 while being a good jump from the N4 has terrible battery life. The new Moto X is also an excellent device but again not that great in terms of battery life. Not to dissuade you from going those routes because honestly they're great phones outside of the poor battery. The Xperia devices are run by magic and the compact is one of the longest lasting devices atm.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cyberia posted:

Yeah, I noticed it's sold out but there's a local online retailer selling it for RRP + a hundred bucks which is still $200 cheaper than either the Z3 or Moto X.

Also, if I'm getting a new phone I should probably get my wife a new phone as well. What non-phablet Android has the best camera for selfie-taking purposes these days?
For what it's worth, the Nexus 5 is a lot easier to hold and use than the Nexus 4. It's all in the shape.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

If anyone wants a One Plus One for whatever reason, they'll be selling them without an invite every Tuesday, starting tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

For what it's worth, the Nexus 5 is a lot easier to hold and use than the Nexus 4. It's all in the shape.
No way, I still miss the curved edges on the 4. Holding out for a 2015 Nexus 4 with a 4.7" 1920x1152 screen. And a sparkle back.