Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

CannonFodder posted:

Also, is there a way to get a coachbuilder to make a shooting brake version of a Dodge Challenger? I see that Pontiac G8 Wagon and I see the occasional Dodge Magnum and I see loads of Challengers and dammit I want a Challenger Wagon with the same side tail lines as the Magnum but also with the iconic tail lights.

They made a C300 wagon in europe. Im sure there is an srt version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Preoptopus posted:

Yup! http://www.topgear.com/uk/chrysler/300c/road-test/touring-srt-8

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

You might be able to go back in time, buy an old challenger and make a shooting brake version of that. Nowadays, the body of the car is the frame, so you can't really do all that much to modify it.

you can reinforce a unibody just the same.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Preoptopus posted:

There's one of these being driven around in my home town. I don't know, it looks kind of ridiculous in real life.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh God, I really hope our resident EMTs and the like are watching this episode.

Edit:

VVVV: Afraid I didn't make that, I saw someone had already put it on Imgur.

Also, having that gif on screen while Uptown Funk is playing in the background...

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 9, 2015

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

Oh God, I really hope our resident EMTs and the like are watching this episode.

Edit:

Please do a gif of Jeremy in the back of the Porsche.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Best challenge in years. I could watch Hammond's patient delivery system all day.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Ola posted:

Best challenge in years. I could watch Hammond's patient delivery system all day.

Yeah, that was one of the best episodes of Top Gear, probably ever.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Jesus christ, that was the funniest loving episode they've done in years.

ECNALUBMA

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I thought it to be one of their more average episodes. Although May's tailgate shattering was hilarious.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

And with this episode my wife is now addicted to Top Gear.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I was literally almost crying because I was laughing so hard watching this episode.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

So much gold in this episode, and Chile mugs.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

tuna posted:

So much gold in this episode, and Chile mugs.
At this point I wouldn't be surprised if the last SIARPC of the series is the President of Chile.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

CannonFodder posted:

Also, is there a way to get a coachbuilder to make a shooting brake version of a Dodge Challenger? I see that Pontiac G8 Wagon and I see the occasional Dodge Magnum and I see loads of Challengers and dammit I want a Challenger Wagon with the same side tail lines as the Magnum but also with the iconic tail lights.
You might of course still be able to make it, but it would mean a whole lot of structural engineering, serious welding and even more paperwork to convince inspections that it's sound for general road use...
e: forgot refresh, sorry...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What a great episode. The Ricciardo interview was fantastic, especially how he beat Hamilton.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'd love to know how many takes this took.

Scrambles
Jul 24, 2003

I WANT IT
Wife and I were crying during the track challenges, she declared it the funniest episode since Toybota (which is the one we always show to the uninitiated) and I am inclined to agree. The third act dragged a bit but goddamn the production values were stepped up in this one. I remember Jeremy praising the editing of this series during the "evening with top gear" interview and it really shows.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

keevo posted:

What kind of focus tests were they doing that said those cars were good ideas?

quote:

In the second hour, the participants were asked to sit down on the floor, like children, and use scissors and a pile of magazines to cut out collages of words they thought described the vehicle. At that point their chief concern about the prototype became clearer: It looked insubstantial and unsafe.

The discomfort was particularly notable with the focus groups in the U.S., where hatchbacks don't sell as well as they do in Europe. In the conversation after the collage making, many participants suggested the rear hatch's large window would let prying outsiders see in and make the car dangerous if hit from behind. Accustomed to hatchbacks, a group in Paris was more concerned about the car's utility than its safety. It described the prototype, Bostwick remembers, as a tantalizingly wrapped box under a Christmas tree that promised a great gift but didn't deliver one.

The result: The Chrysler team went back to the drawing board and later introduced a foam model of removable seats. That and a front passenger seat that folds forward to make a tray that can hold a laptop have become among the PT Cruiser's most talked-about features.

The third hour was perhaps the most bizarre--but also the most productive. Rapaille asked the participants to lie down on the floor. Then he dimmed the lights, began playing tapes of soothing music and told the group to relax.

Rapaille gave the participants pen and paper and asked them to write stories triggered by the prototype they had just seen. In the first focus groups, the stories centered again on toys. In later groups, when Rapaille asked participants to write about what they hoped the PT Cruiser would become, the stories contrasted a dangerous outside world with a secure interior of the car.

The general sentiment was that the participants wanted more of a sport-utility vehicle. "It's a jungle out there," says Rapaille, recalling the message. "It's Mad Max. People want to kill me, rape me." The consultant's message to the designers: "Give me a big thing like a tank."

So the designers made the PT Cruiser look tougher. They bulked up the fenders, giving the car a "kind of bulldog stance from the rear," says Nesbitt, the designer. And they made the rear window smaller, increasing the amount of sheet metal in the hatch to make it look stronger.

The result: a vehicle that thrills some and puts off others.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

spog posted:

Please do a gif of Jeremy in the back of the Porsche.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
Anyone else notice the helicopter turning just before the 28:00 mark? Was that Careless Airways preparing to move (drop) another piano?

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 9, 2015

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That was Hammond's helicopter. The tail number is G-OHAM. May's plane has a tail number of G-OCOK.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

That was Hammond's helicopter. The tail number is G-OHAM. May's plane has a tail number of G-OCOK.
You're right, that's a good call.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
New thread title: Top Gear Series Whatever - ECNALUMBA

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Cojawfee posted:

I did not know that. Now I can out-nerd my other Top Gear loving friends, and for that, I thank you. Also, is purchasing a tail number a bit like getting a personalized license plate? Mine would be something MST3K related, assuming I was a pilot, and actually had the means to buy an aircraft.

OK, new long term goal....

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
It must be so awesome to helicopter to your job of driving supercars around an airfield on days your not traveling around the world with your mates doing crazy and sometimes world record setting poo poo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And, you know, occasionally scraping your skull open on a runway strapped upside down to a rocket

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Data Graham posted:

And, you know, occasionally scraping your skull open on a runway strapped upside down to a rocket

Everything in life has risk. Not to go all YOLO, but given the chance to drive that car, with the info he had at the time, I know I would have strapped in. Hindsight makes the opposite decision easy, but nobody knows what the future holds.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Clarkson and Hammond really nailed it with their designs in this episode. And Jeremy's special gadget... :allears:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Goddamn, what a great episode.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

nmfree posted:

I was literally almost crying because I was laughing so hard watching this episode.

Top Gear
Poorly People
Assistance
Headquarters

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

VodeAndreas posted:

Top Gear
Poorly People
Assistance
Headquarters

aahahaha

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It was an alright episode, but could not stop laughing at the cannon launcher for Hammond's patient at the end

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This is the kind of attention to detail that I would call out in an actual regular good show that wasn't pretending to be a newsmagazine or whatever.

Also TURDS

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

VodeAndreas posted:

Top Gear
Poorly People
Assistance
Headquarters

I had a chuckle at the throw back there to the cop car challenge where it read "THE ROZZERS. Locking up Cirms.... in your community" - I still can't stop laughing thinking about the patient dangling out of May's Hearsebulance.

Also Jeremy's cock fascination :awesome:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Was almost disappointed we didn't get to see the usual customization montage but that's fine.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Nearly choked laughing at that, superb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Clarkson's whole lap inside his Porsche had me laughing quite a bit more than usual. Also their three cars fit their screen personas quite well.