Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

IAmTheRad posted:

There is only one downloadable world, and that is Granite Falls which you get with Outdoor Retreat. Of course you can't really build a new house there as it's just a place for a Sim to take a vacation.

EA might be expanding the current worlds for the expansion pack, but they more likely will just add a new world or two.

My impression is that "The Retail District" is probably its own neighborhood with nothing but business venues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'm sort of happy there is only a few lots. It makes it easier to set a bunch of families in motion at once. It's also easier to keep multiple save files going.

I also can't wait until it's possible to change models, (without having to use The Sims Resource's tool), because I really want to see more cool custom objects made.

I also want to make more custom stuff too, but recolors are too limiting. :(

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

It's very unlikely they'll expand existing lots instead of adding additional ones. The whole reason they did it like this is so they could integrate new content easier. It's a clever and good move, though I'd like to see some more worlds with living areas. No doubt they're coming sooner or later.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
The small size of the world really bugged me at first, but I'd actually forgotten about it until now. The ability to near-instantaneously import lots from the gallery makes it really easy to change things up, and if I want to start a new family I generally start a new save file anyways.

Catalina posted:

The Sims 4 Megathread: It's Like Some Kind of Weird Reverse Buyer's Remorse is now the thread title inside my heart.

I like this a lot.

Ray and Shirley posted:

Does Sims 4 still suffer from the "This random sim that I just met, formed a romantic relationship with, and moved in as an adult actually turned out to be one day away from aging to an elder sim" problem?

Not really, now you can identify whether a Sim is a young adult or adult at a glance. Just go for the young adults every time. :shobon:

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011
For the expansion, there will be no preorder incentives. Take that as you may.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I more or less skipped over 3 when it came out; just bought this game the other day on sale. Did the previous thread move this slow or are not as many people into 4?

Also more mod suggestions would be great. I'd love to find packs of items instead of trying to download 700 separate hair mods.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
People just aren't as into it. I picked it up when it was on sale in anticipation of Go to Work, and it's just not as interesting as TS3+ all expansions.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The modding community is not really huge yet. The Sims Resource controls the only tool that can created new models, and they are only giving to people who buy into their bullshit support their site.

Not to mention that Sims 4 is only really getting it's first big expansion in April, I know the first Sims 3 expansion was out pretty fast.

I want to make more original custom content for the Sims 4. I can't just keep porting animal crossing stuff.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That reminds me, it's trivially easy to trick TSR into thinking you're a premium member. Literally a single line: "localStorage.subscriptionLevel=2;" in Greasemonkey. You can toss it in the Javascript console and it'd prolly work as well.

(Also I just checked and the their CC creator tool is apparently free to download?)

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

SystemLogoff posted:

I want to make more original custom content for the Sims 4. I can't just keep porting animal crossing stuff.

Oh my god. Could you link me to some downloads?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

SystemLogoff posted:

The modding community is not really huge yet. The Sims Resource controls the only tool that can created new models, and they are only giving to people who buy into their bullshit support their site.

Not to mention that Sims 4 is only really getting it's first big expansion in April, I know the first Sims 3 expansion was out pretty fast.

Those are adorable.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
The Sims 3: June 2, 2009
World Adventures: November 17, 2009

The Sims 4: September 2, 2014
Get To Work: April-ish.

(North American release dates)

So it's taken a bit longer before the first EP comes out this time around, but as we know the base game's had some pretty basic things patched in, plus there's also the Outdoor Retreat thing which sits in a weird place.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

a7m2 posted:

Oh my god. Could you link me to some downloads?

Working on the mod-the-sims page now. I'll edit a download here when I've got them all packaged up.

The final ones that I finished.

Edit: Download Them Here

If you want something inspired by the Sloppy Series from Animal Crossing, I also made this.

You can grab it Here

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 8, 2015

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

That's really awesome, thanks!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is it possible to create custom careers? I'm poking around Mod The Sims and I can't find any guides or anything.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Kyte posted:

That reminds me, it's trivially easy to trick TSR into thinking you're a premium member. Literally a single line: "localStorage.subscriptionLevel=2;" in Greasemonkey. You can toss it in the Javascript console and it'd prolly work as well.

(Also I just checked and the their CC creator tool is apparently free to download?)

That trick is awesome, thanks for that!

And the Sims 4 tool is in closed beta, only open to select members. (The site makes you think it's there for sims 4 though. :v:)

Edit: It is out, but I don't really trust tools from that website. They have a really scummy history.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is it possible to create custom careers? I'm poking around Mod The Sims and I can't find any guides or anything.

People are doing the research now, but no breakthroughs yet. Someone needs to code a platform for it, sort of like what NRASS did for Sims 3.

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 8, 2015

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

SystemLogoff posted:

That trick is awesome, thanks for that!

And the Sims 4 tool is in closed beta, only open to select members. (The site makes you think it's there for sims 4 though. :v:)

Edit: It is out, but I don't really trust tools from that website. They have a really scummy history.

People are doing the research now, but no breakthroughs yet. Someone needs to code a platform for it, sort of like what NRASS did for Sims 3.

I believe with the new platform overall for Sims 4, there's a very, very low chance that a core mod could be created like what Twallan did for Sims 3. Of course now a different team picked up the entire suite of nraas mods, and they are concentrating on Sims 3 as far as I know. I am not saying it's impossible for a core mod and a platform to be made for the new game, but until there's more knowledge about the game it would probably be quite a while before we see custom careers or any platform that has a mod as a dependency.

Right now most mods are xml tuning, and some even add new features while not touching the scripting mods part of the game.

One thing I know for sure is that it will be impossible to actually get a core mod like what existed with Sims 3, with only having one core mod working at a time. It would need to be a heavily scripted mod and chances are that any experiments in it right now break the game.

Of course the closest thing to a new careers mod right now is just giving the teen jobs to all other age groups except child. It could be that the game just needs more time to be tinkered around with before truly custom careers could be integrated. iirc, it took a while for Sims 2 to get custom careers working.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I mean more of a core mod that allows more careers to be hooked into it. Right now it looks like there are a bunch of files that handle listing careers, so any new custom career will conflict with another custom one.

There needs to be a tool, or a core mod that allows a bunch of custom careers to play nice.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The difference is that there no longer is a DLL that you can edit as a 'core mod'.

On the other hand given it's all coded in Python now you could probably monkeypatch the career system via a script mod.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Kyte posted:

The difference is that there no longer is a DLL that you can edit as a 'core mod'.

On the other hand given it's all coded in Python now you could probably monkeypatch the career system via a script mod.

Yeah, I'm using core mod sort of indistinguishably here. I mean it more like your idea, a overwatch script that can pickup other mods in a certain format and add them to the career index safely.

That or a crazy person merging mods for the community! :v:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

SystemLogoff posted:

The Sims Resource controls the only tool that can created new models, and they are only giving to people who buy into their bullshit support their site.

By "buy into their bullshit" do you mean literally pay for modding tools, or just subscribe to some ideology. Either way it's incredibly loving awful and egregious and goes against everything modding stands for but charging money for the privilege to make mods, especially when you don't even own the rights to the game you're making modding tools for, is several varieties of bullshit. John Carmack and Will Wright are ashamed.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
You missed the part where it turned out he was wrong. :v:

(Incidentally I don't think there's anything about rights to controlling the distribution of content creation software on the game eula. And even then the software creator has absolutely all the right in the world to do whatever the hell they want with the tool they themselves made. The export format is not, as far as I know, under copyright or anything. If EA wanted to control the sale of Sims CC they should start by distributing their own CC creation tools and attaching copyright to the CC tool's EULA, like other games do)

Kyte fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Feb 8, 2015

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Kyte posted:

(Incidentally I don't think there's anything about rights to controlling the distribution of content creation software on the game eula. And even then the software creator has absolutely all the right in the world to do whatever the hell they want with the tool they themselves made. The export format is not, as far as I know, under copyright or anything. If EA wanted to control the sale of Sims CC they should start by distributing their own CC creation tools and attaching copyright to the CC tool's EULA, like other games do)

Just because something is legal doesn't mean it's moral.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
On one hand yes.

On the other hand making software is Hard and why the hell shouldn't I get monies for the time I spent on that thing.

Always two sides to the coin.

The site itself is pretty shady given how its core business model profits off the creations of its users who I very much doubt are getting a cut of the revenue, but I'm not gonna fault a dude who spent ### hours coding up a tool (which by all appearances is above slapdash quality) for wanting to get some cash for it.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Feb 8, 2015

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I don't think it's the only method though, since I've seen objects and clothing not from TSR.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Elliotw2 posted:

I don't think it's the only method though, since I've seen objects and clothing not from TSR.
There's another, free tool out there (Sims 4 Studio) but it doesn't do object meshes just yet.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Kyte posted:

On one hand yes.

On the other hand making software is Hard and why the hell shouldn't I get monies for the time I spent on that thing.

Always two sides to the coin.

The site itself is pretty shady given how its core business model profits off the creations of its users who I very much doubt are getting a cut of the revenue, but I'm not gonna fault a dude who spent ### hours coding up a tool (which by all appearances is above slapdash quality) for wanting to get some cash for it.

Yeah, making software is bloody hard and the tool is theirs to dispense how they like.

The EULA on it is pretty straightforward, don't sell what you make with the product without the written permission of whoever makes the TSR workshop and give credit to them for anything you make using their tool.

If I was a modder, I wouldn't use this tool with those restrictions. FIrst off it doesn't make sense that the EULA both acknowledges that I own the rights to my work while also putting restrictions on my rights as the copyright holder (ie, to sell my content). This isn't getting into the grey area where EA doesn't allow you to sell your 'mods'. Secondly I don't use any content creation software that restrict my rights to my content. I also don't like that they expect me to advertise on my website (by adding in their details somewhere, I forgot what the EULA said) rather than just part of the license like normal.

That's just me though, I'm a coder and because I don't understand how Copyleft licenses work I try to avoid them. That just transfers over to everything else I would do as well.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

For me, it's the fact that TSR has a history that seems pretty scum filled, I'm sure a lot of it is just the internet blowing some things up too big... but I don't want to trust them with anything I create. Even though the site has some really great mods sometimes (so many cool sims 3 sets) I don't like getting any custom content from that site. :shobon:

In any case, I guess we should try and bring the thread all the way back to the Sims 4. Anyone have any interesting screenshots of the game breaking yet? Here's a few that I noticed on Mod The Sims.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
That kinda lovely EULAs I just ignore. What are they gonna due, sue me? :v:

Unless they have some secret killswitch inside their software I can perfectly well use it for whatever and nobody will ever know better.

--

So far I haven't had any fun bugs although there was this one time my Sim got stuck with I-forget-which skill's bar and it seemed I was getting a tiny amount of skill XP every minute even though I was doing something completely unrelated.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I was mildly curious about this game but nixxing styles killed any interest I had. Any word about them adding it in the future?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
As far as I can tell it's on the "highly unlikely" column.

Is CaSt that important?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's nice, but TS4 has way more colors for each object, and it's easy enough to make your own. It's not like The Sims 2 where you had three colors of everything and you better like those three colors.

You can always just try the game, since it's still the 48 hour free play game on Origin right now.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Elliotw2 posted:

It's nice, but TS4 has way more colors for each object, and it's easy enough to make your own. It's not like The Sims 2 where you had three colors of everything and you better like those three colors.

Yeah most color schemes are perfectly serviceable with the available colors. Its not a huge quality of life hit, and all the other improvements TS4 is a net gain.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I just spent several hours making a $320,000 dick shaped house. What has my life become?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I just spent several hours making a $320,000 dick shaped house. What has my life become?

But did that include furnishing the dick house?

Elliotw2 posted:

You can always just try the game, since it's still the 48 hour free play game on Origin right now.

Unfortunately I think the Free Time was a temporary thing, unless I'm missing something obvious.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I believe you mean "erecting".

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lizard Wizard posted:

I believe you mean "erecting".

:golfclap:

It's amazing how much better the game became through the free patches. The next expansion pack also looks really solid, if it is as good as it looks, then Sims 4 will definitely have surpassed Sims 3. I don't even miss the open world too much.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I will say I sorely miss Create-A-Style, but that's mostly due to its applications in the field of Waluology.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What exactly did Create A Style entail?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What exactly did Create A Style entail?
It basically let you apply different colours and patterns to everything, from the cushions on your sofa to your Sim's rabbit slippers. The patterns were mostly obnoxiously clashing, but it was nice to tweak the colours on things to make everything fit and look nice every now and then without having to download a pack of recolours.