Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

stillvisions posted:

I plan to get one, I just have to swallow my shame and ask the guys at Moog Audio. I'll probably buy a really hardcore obscure module to try and offset the looks I'm going to get. Maybe if I get a Sub 37 at the same time they'll pretend it never happened.

Like all Hatsune Miku merchandise, it's better bought online with a fake name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Radiapathy posted:

Wait. Is Hatsune Miku a dickgirl?

The kit version comes with your choice of housing: stomp box, rack mount or body pillow.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
You don't want to know where the switch is on the body pillow.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Miku has a "stand-by " spot.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I started messing around with pure data today - as someone who loves wierd fm tones, I'm loving it. I can definitely see using it to generate sample fodder, there are great soundscapes to be made! Once i figure out how to do a pitch envelope I'll be set.

Here's my first generative piece (and I guess first drone or ambient track, verb and limiting are glaceverb and buzmaxi in reaper): https://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm/pd_drone1

E: a slightly different version with some lovely generative noise and sin drumes, why not: https://soundcloud.com/fieldbalm/pd_drone1_v2wdrum

field balm fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Feb 6, 2015

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

hey startyde i got an email from wetransfer today saying my download link would expire in a couple of days & hadn't been downloaded; did you get the e-mail?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Scatterfold posted:

hey startyde i got an email from wetransfer today saying my download link would expire in a couple of days & hadn't been downloaded; did you get the e-mail?

Grabbing it now. I don't check that email all the time. It's my "social media" email ala FLX but he's like german and has ambition for cross-platform synergizing of his brand and I'm a drunk.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I'm glad someone beat me to the punch. If these were stocked in Guitar Center I would shamelessly buy one.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Startyde posted:

Grabbing it now. I don't check that email all the time. It's my "social media" email ala FLX but he's like german and has ambition for cross-platform synergizing of his brand and I'm a drunk.

Speaking of which, how's the mastering process going?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Sizone posted:

Speaking of which, how's the mastering process going?

Should be finished up tonight

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Startyde posted:

Good, because I already drank the celebratory whiskey. Oh, wait, no, that was the "god I hate my job" whiskey.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Hey Startyde, you did get my track, right? I didn't hear from you after I sent you a PM.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to you guys, this is now (for the time being) a thing:

That's right. Third hit on YouTube. :shepface:

Startyde posted:

Oh man, I'm stoked :dance:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

VoodooXT posted:

Hey Startyde, you did get my track, right? I didn't hear from you after I sent you a PM.

Yep!

Your Computer posted:

Oh man, I'm stoked :dance:

I don't have any favorites, but yours is my favorite. Will deffo post a tape for you. :norway:
Don't send me addresses yet shitlords.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Tried to be as inoffensive as possible without being milquetoast. HiFi VHS bounce was not a real threat. I did fish out my old KLH 1/4" deck I was going to slap it on to but she didn't take kindly to sitting in storage, so that was out.

Here's a folder with preset-standard encoded MP3s in order.
The names are just from your filenames. Please give your tracks a listen and thumbs up, then post Artist - Title and any blurb you'd like to give for the track. Sizone/dotcom/whoever was getting this rolling, let me know what format you want, if/when everyone's OK.

Startyde fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 9, 2015

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Startyde posted:

Tried to be as inoffensive as possible without being milquetoast. HiFi VHS bounce was not a real threat. I did fish out my old KLH 1/4" deck I was going to slap it on to but she didn't take kindly to sitting in storage, so that was out.

The names are just from your filenames. Please give your tracks a listen and thumbs up, then post Artist - Title and any blurb you'd like to give for the track. Sizone/dotcom/whoever was getting this rolling, let me know what format you want, if/when everyone's OK.

Sounds good to me!

Artist - ten fingers ten toes
Title - Comes in Dreams
Blurb - https://soundcloud.com/tenfingerstentoes

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Startyde posted:

Sounds fine to me, also.

Artist: KYH
Title: Private Dick
Blurb: https://soundcloud.com/kyhmusic-1

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Startyde posted:

Track checks out A-Ok

Artist: Stillvisions
Title: Hot California Nights
Blurb: https://soundcloud.com/stillvisions

Oh and since I'm the terrible person who suggested the Timbre Wolf/Tom Cat sample remix, here's my two submissions, in crappy video form since I'm not sure I can handle the shame of this on my soundcloud.

The dance song nobody wanted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YWuQRebFOM

And a bonus track, when you accidentally make something that sounds slightly less than horrible but incredibly cheesy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26ejejxb9yg

The second one might end up on the soundcloud account at least.

stillvisions fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 9, 2015

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

:2bong: :catdrugs: :2bong:

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Are the titles a joke about this DJ Dan??

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

renderful posted:

Are the titles a joke about this DJ Dan??

Hah, slipped my mind, though he at least sorta looks like the guy. I gave "Dan from Akai" a pseudonym and cropped out his face out of a measure of sympathy I guess; having been there when you know a demo's going to fail miserably, it sucks.

There we go, changed it to be just DJ Disco Tom, no sense people being annoyed by what they think is a fake obit if they're missing the context for it.

Yeah, the video spirals into crap pretty quickly when I realize I've spent hours trying to polish a turd and bring it to a crashing halt rather than waste anyone else's time listening to it.

stillvisions fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 9, 2015

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

Startyde posted:

Sounds great!

Artist: Xpander
Title: Drive Me Away

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Startyde posted:

yessss :boom:

Artist: Your Computer
Title: On My Way
Blurb: https://soundcloud.com/yourcomputer

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

I'm loving dying here. I especially love it when the lead part with the round robin voice allocation comes in. :lol:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Startyde posted:

Sounds fine to me. But without the VHS touch, I can't say "long live the new flesh" and that disappoints me some.
Thanks for doing the mastering, we're even for my old SIDs now. Wish snorch had sent his in.

If everyone could post country of origin too, that might be a nice touch.

.WAV would be my preferred format. Bandcamp takes .wavs, right? Should be up in a few days, just gotta type up the artist/trackname stuff and find some back cover art.

edit: man, also would've liked the entire your computer boner trilogy to have been represented.

Sizone fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Feb 9, 2015

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Startyde posted:

Sounds good to me - thanks. Lots of good tracks here.

Scatterfold - Grey Bleed
https://scatterfold.bandcamp.com/releases

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
poo poo I forgot, can I still send a .wav for treatment? If so, how?

snorch fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Feb 9, 2015

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
startyde's junk email is synthdrunk at gmail. off the top of my head, lossless audio with 3dbs of headroom. I'll pin it on as a cd bonus track at the end.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Alright, I'll get on it when I get home from work in eight-ish hours.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Preliminary back of sleeve

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Sounds good to me!

Flipperwaldt - Wangderful
Flipperwaldt - Just for Your Body

No blurb.

Also this:

Sizone posted:

edit: man, also would've liked the entire your computer boner trilogy to have been represented.
Would gladly sacrifice the Just for Your Body track to get more Your Computer on there.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Sizone posted:

Sounds fine to me. But without the VHS touch, I can't say "long live the new flesh" and that disappoints me some.

I did rub my balls on a Hi8 during the entire process. The MP3s were made from WAVs so that's fine I'll rar it up and stick it somewhere later today.

snorch posted:

poo poo I forgot, can I still send a .wav for treatment? If so, how?

Yo, send it along, I can do that today if you hit me early enough because of snow day. :yotj: synthdrunk at gm.
Tapeheads now send me addresses. ^

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Don't have DM. But I've sent you an email, my track apparently didn't make it to you.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man, I love the kind words but I can't remember making anything else :v:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
You made the intro to boner jam. gently caress, it even has boner in the title.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Sjoewe posted:

Don't have DM. But I've sent you an email, my track apparently didn't make it to you.

grabbing now

Sizone posted:

You made the intro to boner jam. gently caress, it even has boner in the title.

well it was supposed to be a surprise but that's the intro to the mixtape, goons ruin everything.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Gross favoritism towards those who still have functional cassette decks. I HAD TO TAKE THAT ONKYO APART FOR THE 12V BIPOLAR POWER SUPPLY TO DRIVE THE MODULES I WILL NEVER BUILD.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Sizone posted:

Gross favoritism towards those who still have functional cassette decks. I HAD TO TAKE THAT ONKYO APART FOR THE 12V BIPOLAR POWER SUPPLY TO DRIVE THE MODULES I WILL NEVER BUILD.

http://www.mpja.com/ Hengfu and Meanwells are just soo god drat cheap. I know everything is $spam to ship to Hawaii but they do offer USPS which I think is cheaper?
I'll stick the sideA/sideB MP3s up after tapes are mailed out, I guess.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

:lol: How does it sound through the Tubescreamer?

the tubescreamers mainly to manage the gain. i havent taken it out of the feedback loop, so nudging the gain can make her go from drone to rapid gibberish and back. its certainly a goofy but fun unit and only takes as ling as an er-1 to boot , lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Your Computer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Dvnz2N9-U0
:downs:

That's... that's something.

e: vvv I actually don't visit Reddit or anywhere other than SA really, so I wouldn't know where to share it :shobon: vvv
Feel free to share it, anyway!

So um, I have a few questions for you if you don't mind:

I need/want to do something similar (yes, for a school project), but with other music/video/sound clips. My initial inspiration are things like the Picard song and the 'They're taking the Hobbits to Isengard!' videos. We need to combine music with a different art form and something silly like this seems fun to make. I haven't made any music like this, haven't really worked with samples, or made any videos yet, so I'll probably learn a lot doing it! :v: (Hell, I haven't done anything yet and I already learned a lot looking up poo poo.)

I was wondering what your workflow for something like this is?

My idea was that it would be easiest to start with the music, mix some sound clips/samples in it, and then sync up the video where appropriate. Right?

What hardware/software do you use? I bought a small MIDI controller which came with the lite edition of Ableton Live (wanted one anyway and this seemed like a good reason to finally buy one), and I have Lightworks for the video.

Any other tips or tricks or advice is always welcome.