Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

elgarbo posted:

I'd be interested to know the rationale behind including yourself in this shot...

Sometimes you can't avoid it, there wasn't an angle that would work. The sun was really low and directly behind me.

deaders fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Just sayin, this is 2 minutes with the low-res file...

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

elgarbo posted:

I'd be interested to know the rationale behind including yourself in this shot...

He's a man of the land~

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Just sayin, this is 2 minutes with the low-res file...

Yeah I could obviously get rid of the shadow but (and I'm not some anti-editing nut) it just doesn't really go with my reasons for taking these photos. I'm interested in the landscape and how we interact with it, there is no pretense that I'm not there impacting and changing the scene as a drive or walk through it.

It wasn't possible to eliminate the shadow completely so I made the compromise of positioning it there in that clear patch so that it became part of the photo. Do I clone out the power lines too? What if there was some litter in the bushes, start getting rid of that?

alkanphel posted:

He's a man of the land~

Not sure if this is sarcasm but that is actually part of it.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

deaders posted:

Yeah I could obviously get rid of the shadow but (and I'm not some anti-editing nut) it just doesn't really go with my reasons for taking these photos. I'm interested in the landscape and how we interact with it, there is no pretense that I'm not there impacting and changing the scene as a drive or walk through it.

It wasn't possible to eliminate the shadow completely so I made the compromise of positioning it there in that clear patch so that it became part of the photo. Do I clone out the power lines too? What if there was some litter in the bushes, start getting rid of that?

Ah, I hadn't gotten that from your response to elgarbo, so I thought it was :effort:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

deaders posted:

It was more of a joke, but I was also thinking of the shadow selfies Lee Friedlander took in that style.

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

deaders posted:

The trouble is, when you deliberately insert yourself, or your shadow, into a scene, the subject becomes you - not the scene. A landscape - garbage, power lines and all, even including other people - stops being a landscape when it becomes about you. Maybe I'm wrong about this and "no rules in art" and all that, but if there's one consistent thing about a landscape photograph, it's that the photographer should be invisible.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012
Sounds like it should be in the street photography thread instead.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

The photographer isn't invisible, they're behind the frame.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ansel autisms posted:

The photographer isn't invisible, they're behind the frame.

Well yeah, that's a good way to describe it... They're the eyes you're looking through.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Linedance posted:

Maybe I'm wrong about this and "no rules in art" and all that, but if there's one consistent thing about a landscape photograph, it's that the photographer should be invisible.

Thats dumb.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Sorry to interrupt the spergfest (what a proper thread icon) but here is an experimental shot I took in the jungle in Argentina. Straight out of camera.

I shot wide open (XF 23mm f/1.4) and used the high speed electronic shutter to capture the moisture droplets in midair. I tried focusing on the end of the log, but the shot focusing on the middle of the log has a more atmospheric and cinematic look. Click the link and see the full size on Flickr so you can see the detail with the droplets. I love that lens its so sharp.

Untitled by Mannymall

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Putrid Grin posted:

Thats dumb.

I'll give an example of what I mean. Apologies for the phone photos, but it's what I have access to at the moment.

Landscape

Me on a snowboard = not landscape

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Linedance posted:

I wouldn't say it's not a landscape, but I do agree that the shadow in his photo doesn't work...at least for me.

I do love the power lines though. To each their own I guess.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Linedance posted:

I'll give an example of what I mean. Apologies for the phone photos, but it's what I have access to at the moment.

Landscape

I just feel like its not as cut and dry as you make it out to be. While in general I feel that photography classification into landscapes and portraits and such is a bit reductive, I do see your point to a degree, where the human element in many instances becomes a main point of interest due to the way our brains are wired.
Classification is a broad spectrum, and not a set of checkboxes. I feel that explorations of how the presence of a photographer affects the landscape around them still classifies as landscape, even though they may feature human elements.

Anyways, you could crop the right edge of the snowboard and center the composition afterwards and I would deem it a fine landscape.

Anyways, just my personal opinion and I didn't mean to come off so harshly.

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

I think there's a valid case that can be made for the photographer including themself in a landscape. But in this particular case,, it's not speaking to me. I look at deaders' photo and it's hard to see past the shadow.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Great shots. Where is it?

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

I love your art. You should remove the power lines.

Vinter by dabrovnijk, on Flickr

erephus fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 7, 2015

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Linedance posted:

The trouble is, when you deliberately insert yourself, or your shadow, into a scene, the subject becomes you - not the scene. A landscape - garbage, power lines and all, even including other people - stops being a landscape when it becomes about you. Maybe I'm wrong about this and "no rules in art" and all that, but if there's one consistent thing about a landscape photograph, it's that the photographer should be invisible.

The photographer is always visible so your rule is not a thing. Like someone else mentioned, Lee Friedlander is an obvious example but there are many others.

Also, if it doesn't work for pukestain pal then I am even more happy with it.

Glad to see some actual discussion though :)

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

Animal posted:

Great shots. Where is it?

This is from up in Waterton Lakes National Park in Canada, the sibling park to Glacier National Park in Montana.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

deaders posted:

Also, if it doesn't work for pukestain pal then I am even more happy with it.

That's what I'm here for!

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Jurong West by alkanphel, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Santa Monica Pier by francography, on Flickr

Going through some older photos

What lies inside the mountain? by francography, on Flickr

Mendenhall Glacier by francography, on Flickr

somnambulist fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 8, 2015

Jimlad
Jan 8, 2005

somnambulist posted:

Going through some older photos

What lies inside the mountain? by francography, on Flickr

Mendenhall Glacier by francography, on Flickr

These are wonderful subjects, and I can't help but think these photos would have been even more powerful with a bit of tweaking to the composition.

Having the eye leading to the centre-but-not-quite of the mountain shot is a little of-putting to me, and I get the impression you could have made more use of the dark area on the left to make the shot more dramatic, since it feels like there isn't an awful lot going on on the right hand side of the frame.

On the gracier shot, it's a similar thing - I find that pictures where you lead the eye to close to the centre of the frame generally work best when you've got a lot of symmetry or there's a really good reason to do so, but here it seems to me it diminishes the impact of the scene. A different, more extreme perspective with a wider angle might have helped, or even a close-up of the ice might have made for an interesting abstract landscape.

Jimlad fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 8, 2015

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

MOS_2402-6 by sporklift, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Baltimore Skylin by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Rice Paddy by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 9, 2015

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
SD 140 1 Aspirations of Canoe Unloading by Execudork, on Flickr
SD 140 6 by Execudork, on Flickr
SD 140 7 by Execudork, on Flickr
SD 140 16 by Execudork, on Flickr
SD 140 28 by Execudork, on Flickr

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

Franklin falls Dam by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

Dam by cha_reckoning, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

I think this one is mf'ing badass.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Lake Superior Shoreline by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

is this upper mt tabor?

edit: ah yup

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 9, 2015

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Animal posted:

Sorry to interrupt the spergfest (what a proper thread icon) but here is an experimental shot I took in the jungle in Argentina. Straight out of camera.

I shot wide open (XF 23mm f/1.4) and used the high speed electronic shutter to capture the moisture droplets in midair. I tried focusing on the end of the log, but the shot focusing on the middle of the log has a more atmospheric and cinematic look. Click the link and see the full size on Flickr so you can see the detail with the droplets. I love that lens its so sharp.

Untitled by Mannymall

I dig the way the water droplets kinda seem like film grain.

Loving the perspective on the trees.

Really like the composition on this one. Great colors in an otherwise bleak looking setting.

Mido posted:

is this upper mt tabor?

edit: ah yup

Yeah. Haven't been up there in a while. Easy to forget awesome places that are just down the street.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

sporklift posted:

Really like the composition on this one. Great colors in an otherwise bleak looking setting.

Thanks!

20150124-IMG_1678 by wallofinsanity, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Abandoned House, Carabooda, January 2015 by Simon Deadman, on Flickr