Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Internet Kraken posted:

The human mind; fragile, like a robin's egg.

Devs retweeted this, btw. https://twitter.com/bombastique/status/564635735144558592

e: terrible way to start a new page. I'm feeling pretty good about my current squad set-up. Jester/Vestal/Hellion/Crusader. Slow-going, but nobody dies, and nobody goes nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Apparently you can edit the files to allow high levels parties to clear low dungeons, if you feel like doing that instead of using babby teams.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ideally you want to have an A and B (and maybe C and D, depending) team of adventurers all running missions. If a mission is too tough you can always go in, grab what loot you can, then abandon mission; you won't get the mission reward but you'll keep gathered loot. I've done that more than once especially when the only mission was the Hag and all I had was my Leper team.

If the boss in question is level 1 necromancer though give him a shot he's not too hard. For the hag, an all-hellion team or a team of all ranged strikers (bounty hunters, occultist, highwayman, etc.) has a pretty decent shot even at low level so long as you remember to focus fire the Hag and ignore the pot as much as possible. For the Swine King you want as much single-target damage as you can stack up.

I think the way the game is set up, it goes scouting mission -> clearing mission -> boss mission so eventually you do have to at least attempt a boss mission; it's not entirely random what you get. You will always get at least one level 1 mission.

Thanks for the tips. I fought Necromancer a while back before I reset my town, and I think my main problem was that I couldn't do enough damage quickly enough. Similar problem with my last attempt on the hag; either I couldn't hit her hard enough or often enough and my guys kept getting tossed in the pot. I'm going to try and get a B team or explorers together and farm up some gold to make a level 2 team with upgraded skills and armor and give the hag another shot.

Akumos posted:

Apparently you can edit the files to allow high levels parties to clear low dungeons, if you feel like doing that instead of using babby teams.

I may give into that temptation eventually, but I just think it's odd my level 3 guy says "That challenge is below my skill!" when we both know in all likelihood he'd be first in the pot.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm not sure how I feel about having characters refuse to help in dungeons that are 'too easy' for them.

I get that it's making sure to keep the easy missions challenging, but I still have 2 easy bosses to kill and my best, most used heroes just outleveled them and now I feel I have to grind and invest resources into new heroes to make them boss capable.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Personally I've been finding that knowing more about the enemies in each area really helps you plan what guys you bring. If you're smart and a little lucky, you can chain no light newbies in level 1 shorts, giving them basically food+shovel+area supply items. I had one group that basically had to have 1 guy replaced each run for about 4 in a row, though at the end of that one they were all gibbering insane so I gave them the boot. Low light short missions can pretty easily fill up your inventory on loot as well, so you can make some pretty easy bank for very minimal investment. Even when things have gone pear shaped and I've had to run away, still came out decently ahead.

E: Once your town is more upgraded, it is a lot cheaper to outfit guys. I'd personally only do skills until you've got a big bank/upgraded town, because you're really a venture capitalist. Least in for most out, at least until you get to the point where you can realistically sustain the treatment for an advanced party.

ZypherIM fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 9, 2015

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Highwaymen struck with irrational are the best. He started talking about how he was a candlemaker and how bright the sun was and how nice it felt. In the warrens. Completely underground. I actually made a point after I'd cleared the area to have him walk around a bit more, just to get more of his quotes.

When a swine puked on him he said "Thank you, but no. I've already eaten this morning." I get the feeling that was a generic response to taking damage but that context :allears: Then he started shouting about running from ghosts.

The best part about this was that the other two members of the party had both gained resolve so it just had this image of a a vestal and a bounty hunter soldiering through the madness while the highwayman's walking along, babbling nonsense.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Feb 9, 2015

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

I've been carrying level 0 guys through level 5 missions with 3 appropriate level dudes. Never managed to complete a dungeon without the level 0 going insane though, as they seem to start with +50 stress.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Why do my guys keep leaving? I left my crusader to pray his stress away, and when I got back from the mission it said he left in search of a holy vision.

Makes me not want to spend any money upgrading people if they're just gonna leave randomly.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
^^^^^^^Some stress relief carries a risk of temporarily going away. He should be back in a week's time.

cyanidewolf posted:

I've been carrying level 0 guys through level 5 missions with 3 appropriate level dudes. Never managed to complete a dungeon without the level 0 going insane though, as they seem to start with +50 stress.

I guess that's still reasonably efficient for rapid advancement. Makes me feel like a sucker for doing quests with appropriate-leveled characters only.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Stress relief always has risk involved. You can develop negative traits, lose money/artifacts etc.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Night10194 posted:

There's nothing abusive about pulling random teams of murderhobos off the wagon and sending them into a meatgrinder with no pay beyond what's necessary to keep them together enough to keep fighting by tossing them booze and prayer.

Oh, wait. Everything about that is abusive, yes.

Hey, they knew exactly what they were getting into when they read the job description. I said it was "dangerous". Its their own fault for thinking dangerous didn't include being infected by maggots, mauled by fungus zombies, and then eaten by a witch.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth

paranoid randroid posted:

Ok the sanitarium is definitely still bugged because I've put this leper away to lose an affliction three times now and nothing happens. I think it might be related to quitting out of the program after putting them in the sanitarium.

well you cant lose afflictions in the sanitarium

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

FreeKillB posted:

^^^^^^^Some stress relief carries a risk of temporarily going away. He should be back in a week's time.

What happens if he comes back and my roster is full?

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009
You get an overfull roster, with no bad consequences, according to the experience of people in this thread.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Holy poo poo. This game has now got me cursing out loud when my Hellion misses shots and pumping my fist in glee when Dismas comes through or Evelyn gets pulled forward and still bludgeons a guy to death with her mace. I think I had 5 Death's Doors that last mission but my guys came through without any losses thanks to the rookie Vestal dodging at just the right times.

This hits the Old X-COM itch better than the Firaxis X-COM did!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

enraged_camel posted:

What happens if he comes back and my roster is full?
Nothing bad, you'll be over the cap and won't be able to recruit until you upgrade your roster size.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Night10194 posted:

Holy poo poo. This game has now got me cursing out loud when my Hellion misses shots and pumping my fist in glee when Dismas comes through or Evelyn gets pulled forward and still bludgeons a guy to death with her mace. I think I had 5 Death's Doors that last mission but my guys came through without any losses thanks to the rookie Vestal dodging at just the right times.

What amazes me about this game is that the difficulty balancing is more or less perfect to keep you consistently riding the edge of disaster. In an early-access game where the content isn't complete, that's a rare thing to see. Someone behind the scenes is really good at making numbers shake out elegantly.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
This is a pretty fun game. I think I'm going to use that "take dudes straight off the wagon and send them unprovisioned into the dungeon to make cash" tactic that you guys are talking about.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

FreeKillB posted:

I guess that's still reasonably efficient for rapid advancement. Makes me feel like a sucker for doing quests with appropriate-leveled characters only.

They are not level 0 for long, my Plague Doctor went from level 0 to 2,5 in one medium length lvl5 mission. After you've collected enough of the broken ancestral trinkets, the low levels aren't going to die either with 2 tough rings equipped, because +16% prot and +40% hp is just too good, even if you get -24 dodge. Because who needs to dodge when all the attacks do next to no damage.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Dodging also lets you avoid poo poo like stress attacks, push/pulls, etc.

Also how the gently caress does Prot even work. The 20% prot self-buff that Crusader and Leper have makes them take 1 damage from pretty much everything instead of the usual 4-7, so that's way better than I expected.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I had a Bounty Hunter disappear from the bar for a three week bender. :pwn:

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Also how the gently caress does Prot even work. The 20% prot self-buff that Crusader and Leper have makes them take 1 damage from pretty much everything instead of the usual 4-7, so that's way better than I expected.
My theory (not tested at all) is that it gives invisible 'extra' HP that are removed (but for 1) instead of normal hp. The % would then be out of total health, I would expect.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Waffle! posted:

I had a Bounty Hunter disappear from the bar for a three week bender. :pwn:

I feel like The Hangover would be a lot more lethal in this setting.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My Crusader went off on a holy vision quest after praying and immediately got syphilis the next mission. What the hell was he doing!?

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

Dodging also lets you avoid poo poo like stress attacks, push/pulls, etc.

Dodge just feels weird to me, I know accuracy on players reduces dodge on monsters until 90% to hit (which seems like the cap) and it feels like it works the same way for monsters. At least it feels like my dark run team where everyone has 50-60% dodge gets hit more often than that.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Monsters get more accuracy in the dark, and also crit more, so that might be why they're hitting even past your hilarious dodge chances.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

One of my highwaymen comes out of the brothel, blacks out and "misplaces" a cool artifact I found in my last run.

This game... :psyduck:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
There's no way to scum lost artifacts like that either as far as I can tell, even swapping them around doesn't seem to help.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Agent355 posted:

I'm not sure how I feel about having characters refuse to help in dungeons that are 'too easy' for them.

I get that it's making sure to keep the easy missions challenging, but I still have 2 easy bosses to kill and my best, most used heroes just outleveled them and now I feel I have to grind and invest resources into new heroes to make them boss capable.

I know a lot of people like that you can't lose this game, but I wish it just worked like XCOM where the missions just get harder and harder and you just have to keep up. No worry about dungeon levels, the missions just start to level up and you've got to throw people into the grinder and hope they make it out.

I think the absence of that is part of the reason the mid-game feels so easy: once you get far enough, you're never "forced" to do anything, or pick a bad option.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I like that you can't outright lose because it keeps me from spazzing out about the game being full of permadeath and destruction. I have a lot more fun losing guys and suffering setbacks when I can always get back on the horse.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Chocobo posted:

This is a pretty fun game. I think I'm going to use that "take dudes straight off the wagon and send them unprovisioned into the dungeon to make cash" tactic that you guys are talking about.
It'd be rad if there was a "Reputation" stat or something that would get worse as you lose more and more people, so if you kept sacrificing newbies over and over there would be repercussions in terms of what heros/goods were available to you.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Enjoy your first day of school son, and remember - death awaits even the slightest lapse in concentration.

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed
Dear Red Hook,

Please apply the latest PC patches to the MAC version (especially the sanitarium bugs) and fix the bug where all my guys always get a positive and negative trait after every mission.

Yours Sincerely,
A filthy MAC user

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I tried my first level 3 dungeon. In the first fight, there was a giant with 65 hp who crit me 3x in a row for 25+. I won the fight and left the dungeon immediately. Goddamn.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Jinx posted:

Dear Red Hook,

Please apply the latest PC patches to the MAC version (especially the sanitarium bugs) and fix the bug where all my guys always get a positive and negative trait after every mission.

Yours Sincerely,
A filthy MAC user

Wait, this is a bug? I thought all the YouTuber's I was watching were just playing a pre-release version or something. That would make the game a lot easier for me most likely! That would be a good bug for them to turn back on for a Hardcore mode or something, though.

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

ErIog posted:

Wait, this is a bug? I thought all the YouTuber's I was watching were just playing a pre-release version or something. That would make the game a lot easier for me most likely! That would be a good bug for them to turn back on for a Hardcore mode or something, though.

As far as I am aware, the latter is definitely a bug. I've seen screenshots in this thread and some streamers where some mercenaries would get nothing, whereas other times some would get only a negative or positive trait. It's not that big a deal really - the bugs with the sanitarium bugs are much more annoying (especially when no negative traits are removed after spending so much gold).

Running With Spoons
Oct 26, 2005
Only the spoon knows what is stirring in the pot

Periodiko posted:

I know a lot of people like that you can't lose this game, but I wish it just worked like XCOM where the missions just get harder and harder and you just have to keep up. No worry about dungeon levels, the missions just start to level up and you've got to throw people into the grinder and hope they make it out.

I think the absence of that is part of the reason the mid-game feels so easy: once you get far enough, you're never "forced" to do anything, or pick a bad option.

I agree, there should be a better inventive to the harder dungeons.
Why should I send my lvl 2 guys in a lvl 3 dungeons? The rewards are similar to lvl 1 dungeons, but I might have to abandon it + I'll accumulate a lot of stress.
I've had 1 death, and I've barely sent anyone to tavern/abbey, I have 8 lvl 3 and 4 lvl2.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Are the devs thinking of adding other classes? Not that I need them, more curious or anything.

I'd like the idea of former adventurers dying or kicked out coming to fight you.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Akumos posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/xenoith

Trying to learn how to not die in Darkest Dungeon. I'd like it if some goons could come tell me what I can improve on. :(

As said before, concentrate on just a few heroes. the rest that you get are cannon fodder. dont feel bad about slapping together a crew of lvl 0's and marching them into a lvl1 dungeon with minimal supplies for a cash grab.

Skills that do multiple stuns are great. Hellions yeop (first two) and the plague dudes blinding grenade (back two) make for a great combo.
I put a crusader with his stun in that group, as well as that one healer bitch, and when i am down on health I will chain stun enemies and use the healer + crusader's healing (if I can) to get my party healthy again. That so far is my most solid group of 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
When you finish a mission and it shows your four characters and exp gained, sometimes they'll get that mask that you click on and it gives new Quirks. First, are those quirks random? Because I had one guy get Rabid in the Ruins when he wasn't even hit by anything. And second, if I don't click on the masks, do they not get any new Quirks, or do they just get them regardless of whether or not you actually click on it?

So many little questions. But I finally managed to get through like three weeks without everyone going insane. I swear the RNG is out to get me :v: