Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

I might be getting old but just falling fuckin hurts. I like the most padding I can get without it being obtrusive.

Yeah this. I worry a lot more about being knocked off at low speed than I used to, just because I feel like my geriatric body can't take another spill impact regardless of what it does to the bike/gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
http://vimeo.com/118513415

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
No beard/waxed mustache and there's way too many original parts left on that bike, 5/10

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Duck_King posted:

So I know this post is a week or so old, but I found out last night this guy is a friend of a friend. My friend had just bought a new (to him) bike, and he took it to a mutual friend's to show it off. I talked about how I'm glad he's approaching riding responsibly, and not like some rear end in a top hat squid, and he mentions an accident a friend got into a few weeks ago out on the 168. My eyes went wide and I said "Woah, wait, are you talking about that dude who ramped his bike off the side of the road?!" He said yes, and he knew both the rider and the guy recording it. I said "Hey man, no offense, and I'm glad he didn't die, but those guys ride like loving idiots and I hope it was a wakeup call". He said he knows. The dude recording is your typical "wont wear any gear except for a back protector" guy.

Glad he gets it. Did he know what the gently caress made that guy straight line into the hill? I've watched it a bunch and still can't see what made him stop turning.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I rolled my eyes at the cutting torch lighting a cig (real mechanics use mapp gas), and groaned when I saw the needle nose vise grips on the chrome bolt.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The worst and most appropriate part of that video is the cb550.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

nsaP posted:

Zip up overpants are the poo poo. Most of the reinforced jeans I've seen are just a bit stronger on slide areas. I like the padding and armor in the hips and knees as well.

I might be getting old but just falling fuckin hurts. I like the most padding I can get without it being obtrusive.

My friend broke her kneecap slipping on a trashcan lid. Riding without knee armor makes me really uncomfortable now.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
I don't think that decent riding jeans (i.e. with armor) pass the uncanny valley test for fashion. To everyone else the fit is gonna seem weirdly bulky on your knees and hips. And the jeans typically have a seam below the knee. I don't think the compromise is really worth it.

Knee surgery seems like a thing you never really recover from. Motorcycles are awesome, and I don't mind sweating or looking dorky to continue doing awesome things.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

nsaP posted:

Zip up overpants are the poo poo. Most of the reinforced jeans I've seen are just a bit stronger on slide areas. I like the padding and armor in the hips and knees as well.

I'll probably be picking up some kevlar pants/some mesh pants next pay anyway, now I have a new bike I kinda want to get a new helmet and jacket and pants and boots and oh god

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Although I own a set of leather pants I found myself wearing the Kevlar jeans / padding combo from Bohn, which are like a very thin long underwear with pads on the knee, thighs, shins, etc. I liked being able to ride the bike to a social gathering and not look like a BDSM Power Ranger.

That said, holy poo poo perforated leather pants are incredible on hot days. Stand on the pegs and you get a solid blast of wind all over, making you feel like a new man (and I would imagine a new woman).

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

ought ten posted:

Glad he gets it. Did he know what the gently caress made that guy straight line into the hill? I've watched it a bunch and still can't see what made him stop turning.

I don't think so. He didn't mention it if he did. Based on the video comments I'm guessing they blame the SUV for daring to occupy the air where he wanted to be ("The SUV crossed over the line!")

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Bloombergs newest cover is pretty :911:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wet Isle of Man conditions, skip to 2:45 for some awesome TT racer banter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbrCUeE9m28

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

Slim Pickens posted:

It never ceases to amaze me how much those guys make their bikes squirm. The aerial footage of the Dunlop brothers makes me feel physically uncomfortable, watching the bikes judder and jolt so much and at such speed.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

brb gonna go buy a snapon wrench

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slim Pickens posted:

This just further proves that McGuinness is the most righteous dude - mad respect for him to go to Guy and tell him he had the right call on the grid.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

kuffs posted:

I don't think that decent riding jeans (i.e. with armor) pass the uncanny valley test for fashion. To everyone else the fit is gonna seem weirdly bulky on your knees and hips. And the jeans typically have a seam below the knee. I don't think the compromise is really worth it.

Uglybros makes actual good looking kevlar-lined jeans with hip and knee protection, but you have to pay dearly for them:
http://www.uglybrosusa.com/shop/2slub-k/

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Well good on them for making decent-looking women's riding gear.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Z3n posted:

This just further proves that McGuinness is the most righteous dude - mad respect for him to go to Guy and tell him he had the right call on the grid.
That and the dunlopp bros being clinically insane.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

evil_bunnY posted:

That and the dunlopp bros being clinically insane.

It's all the more ridiculous when you think of their family history.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

captainOrbital posted:

Well good on them for making decent-looking women's riding gear.

Is their ladies line of products called "uglyhos"?

I like how half their photos show women wearing the pants with high heels. "WE'RE NOT RACERS, BUT RIDERS"

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

HotCanadianChick posted:

Uglybros makes actual good looking kevlar-lined jeans with hip and knee protection, but you have to pay dearly for them:
http://www.uglybrosusa.com/shop/2slub-k/

Those actually look really cool. The expansion panels make them seem like leathers made out of denim. I could probably do without the pre-faded look, though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Is their ladies line of products called "uglyhos"?

I like how half their photos show women wearing the pants with high heels. "WE'RE NOT RACERS, BUT RIDERS"

They could be marketing them towards girls on the back of the bike. :shrug: Does anyone have the numbers on female riders vs passengers? I wouldn't be surprised to see that the majority of women's gear goes to passengers instead of riders, sad as that is to say.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Oh cool, someone's posted up this documentary about the 80s/90s WSB golden years:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8UMBOIyu0

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Maybe I'm weird but I find (properly-vented) leather much cooler in the summer than textiles. It feels like it breathes better.

This. And not because it breathes better but because it doesn't. Over 90F, the more your gear breathes, the hotter you get.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
My problem with Kevlar jeans is they are so goddamn expensive. I ride most every day, so I'd need... 3 pairs? That's like... $1k in jeans.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
And all they're really doing is adding more abrasion resistance (which means something, but) not any sort of impact spreading like a knee/shin pad would do. I don't see them being worth the cost. I would rather use overpants (which in most situations are a pain in the rear end).

In the end I just wear my jacket/gloves/boots/helmet and pray to the gods I don't believe in that my knees somehow stay intact. I hate myself for that choice but w/e.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Nitramster posted:

And all they're really doing is adding more abrasion resistance (which means something, but) not any sort of impact spreading like a knee/shin pad would do. I don't see them being worth the cost.

The ones I linked specifically do have knee and hip protectors. IIRC there's at least one other company that makes Kevlar lined jeans with knee protector pockets (I think Draggin' Jeans)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

HotCanadianChick posted:

The ones I linked specifically do have knee and hip protectors. IIRC there's at least one other company that makes Kevlar lined jeans with knee protector pockets (I think Draggin' Jeans)

It's been ages since I've seen jeans that *don't* have hip and knee protection.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Nitramster posted:

And all they're really doing is adding more abrasion resistance (which means something, but) not any sort of impact spreading like a knee/shin pad would do. I don't see them being worth the cost. I would rather use overpants (which in most situations are a pain in the rear end).

In the end I just wear my jacket/gloves/boots/helmet and pray to the gods I don't believe in that my knees somehow stay intact. I hate myself for that choice but w/e.

Protip: crashing in jeans blows :)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's been ages since I've seen jeans that *don't* have hip and knee protection.

To the same extent as other pants? Link me up cause I'm guessing they look ridiculous

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I am not surprised that goons like skinny jeans for ugly bros tbh

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I just stuff my hip pockets with steel wool.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Bilt makes kevlar lined jeans with knee armor but... Bilt.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
You could always put on motocross knee pads on the outside of your kevlar jeans.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

captainOrbital posted:

I just stuff my hip pockets with steel wool.
That way the cuts are already cleaned when you arrive at the ER! :downs:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
It also protects my gentleman's region from rats and chemtrails.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
How many charging jacks do you need?
<BMW owner> ALL OF THEM. ALL THE CHARGING JACKS.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

How many charging jacks do you need?
<BMW owner> ALL OF THEM. ALL THE CHARGING JACKS.

Ugh, I don't even want to rewire my turn signal, not to mention that monstrosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Good grief, the generator on the F800 isn't even that big.

edit: I have a confession, though. This is in the mail:

kuffs fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 10, 2015