Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I made a really crappy build with either a hosed up levelling-up order or the build just isn't very good (rush the stats to wield the Whitesteel Katana, then rush the stats to Dark Weapon it, which is like 50 levels in its own right, ) and finally remembered why people find the Smelter Demon hard.

It's because they're not levelling up their HP (or stamina, but mostly HP). Seriously. Don't pump VIG/END to the exclusion of everything else but you should always be gradually pumping them up to 20 over the course of the game. And of course getting your Agility up to 90 (preferably 95) but then that's been covered repeatedly. It's like a completely different (maddening) game if you leave your HP at its base value.

Also did they do something to Mytha's attack timings or what? I had the damndest time trying to defeat her because all of a sudden I couldn't even dodge her spear charges in time. If so then I don't know why they did that, she doesn't exactly have a reputation for being a pushover to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

So what does this "softbanning" thing actually mean?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
means you can only online-interact with other players who have been softbanned. It's a ghetto for cheaters.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

omeg posted:

So what does this "softbanning" thing actually mean?

Supposedly you get locked into only playing online with other cheaters or something?

I dunno. I'm a 360 player (it's thread is dead so I just haunt this one) and I decided after taking a long break to cheat the gently caress out of my save. I did the exact thing which everyone is told not to do and cheated in a billion items. 999 of each upgrade material, 999 great hero souls, cracked red eye orbs, and basically every weapon I'd ever want to use on that character fully upgraded and infused if applicable. I dunno if I'm softbanned or not. I do know there has been a sharp rise in the number of players I've seen who were obviously cheating (using the demon mace at sub 150k and such) and so I wonder if I have been softbanned and the 360 requiring save editing to cheat has just resulted in a huge number of softbanned people so that I notice no seeming difference in the number of phantoms I have to summon and the availability of PVP.

I got blue sentinel invaded on my melee build like 15 times and hit sinner status before I got to drangleic from cracked red eye orb invasions so I'm still able to participate in PVP. Summons are incredibly common when you're in the areas where people put them down. IE I can't find a single loving person for Ruin Sentinels these days, ever, but so far I've never had to face smelter without a pair of phantoms if I don't want to. I've been playing on a cheated to hell set of save files for about a month now with no way to say "yes I've absolutely been softbanned"

If it weren't for the remarkable number of obvious cheaters I run into I'd say that there's no difference that I can tell.

Then again if I'm not soft banned there are just that many people using Jappi's save editor who aren't getting caught either. I can't tell you how the hell I haven't been soft banned (if I haven't been) though when I'm walking into Majula as a sorcerer with 5 +10 estocs (2 uninfused, 1 dark, 1 lightning, 1 fire)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Fereydun posted:

yeah looking up the weight of the set its actually a lot lighter than i remembered

i coulda sworn it was one of the 30+ weight armor sets but its only 27, meaning that sword + med shield would give em med roll at SL 40-60 even without really leveling their vit

still think it was bizzarely common though. wonder if there's an advantage there vs low level stuff

It has really high defense for its weight, and at that low of an SM you're gonna run into people with weapons that aren't that upgraded yet, so the defense will impact their damage output even more.

Meatsicle
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless

hanales posted:

you've obviously been given a pass for whatever reason. you've probably been reported a billion times and nothing seems to happen to you. Everyone on all the forums/reddit that have discussed this have been softbanned for soul memory edits. The people that claim "they didn't do anything" eventually fess up.
I'm sure Tallgeese has done this, but I think the only things that really get you flagged (aside from obvious hacking) are stat and SM modifications that go beyond what is possible for your SL. I used metacap for a while and was never softbanned, probably because it kept SM at the lowest possible for your SL.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

I made a really crappy build with either a hosed up levelling-up order or the build just isn't very good (rush the stats to wield the Whitesteel Katana, then rush the stats to Dark Weapon it, which is like 50 levels in its own right, ) and finally remembered why people find the Smelter Demon hard.

It's because they're not levelling up their HP (or stamina, but mostly HP).

Stamina and Agility are the key problems people have with Smelter. It's mostly a combination of going way too whole-hog when attacking him so you don't have enough Stamina to dodge three swings, eating a regular swing and trying to heal at a time when he isn't either doing his overhead or his leap recovery, or shutting your brain off and forgetting about his explosion. All of his attacks are really easy to dodge with at least 12 iframes (92~ Agility), even if you're just dodging into him. I've one shot him the last two times I went through on brand new characters (quality with regular longsword and then a STR/FTH build), just because I had at least 20 Endurance, had upgraded my weapon reasonably well, staggered my attacks, and only healed when he either did his overhead or his leap.

The thing about Smelter is that he's the most predictable "giant two-handed weapon guy" boss in the game in that he follows very specific patterns that can almost always be avoided by simply circling around to his back with dodges or a run. The closest comparison (Velstadt) has several backstep swings that can easily catch you off guard and several delayed swings to go along with it. Smelter's pattern is simple to learn, by comparison, without any real tempo change between the hits. What throws most new players for a loop is the explosion, because every boss previous has drilled the whole, "They're stuck in a helpless attack pose! Get 'em!" concept into their heads. Smelter is a boss that explicitly punishes you for that, which is what makes him so unique compared to every previous boss.

quote:

Also did they do something to Mytha's attack timings or what? I had the damndest time trying to defeat her because all of a sudden I couldn't even dodge her spear charges in time. If so then I don't know why they did that, she doesn't exactly have a reputation for being a pushover to begin with.

Mytha's an RNG fight. Either she whacks you repeatedly with her three-hit combo that's nearly impossible to dodge, or she doesn't. Scorpioness Najka is similar: either you repeatedly bait out frontal tail attacks, or you don't, and the fight becomes immensely harder if it's the latter.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 8, 2015

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Meatsicle posted:

I'm sure Tallgeese has done this, but I think the only things that really get you flagged (aside from obvious hacking) are stat and SM modifications that go beyond what is possible for your SL. I used metacap for a while and was never softbanned, probably because it kept SM at the lowest possible for your SL.

The problem is that Metacap died very quickly after softbans became a thing, because using it led to multiple bans. You got lucky. Which is the whole problem!

Softbans on DS2 are random, senseless, and idiotic. They have no way to possibly detect stuff like hostility changes to kill NPCs, corrosive urn spam, etc.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Well I'm actually doing it. I'm attempting a no-death run through NG with powerstanced Rapiers.

My first attempt ended when I fell off a bridge in the Gutter. My second very nearly ended when the camera lock-on switched unexpectedly and I came an inch from throwing myself off a bridge in Iron Keep (the one that gets a chunk destroyed by an Ironclad) and pretty much all of Iron Keep was just a terrifying experience in general what with all the instant death drops everywhere and Ironclads eager to launch you off them.

I've just finished collecting all four Great Souls and the pressure is already considerable. More than anything else I'm scared shitless of That Part in the shrine of Amana; even after summoning Felicia the entire fate of the run is going to be determined in something like three seconds: do the three Archdrakes die first, or do I?

Then if I make it that far there's Throne Watcher and Throne Defender. Those two are no pushover either, even with NPC summons. Falling like that at the last hurdle would be soul (heh) crushing. I think I'll probably try to pump my Adaptability sky high with all the souls I've gathered. After all, that makes you chug Estus faster, and getting killed while chugging is by far the most common way to die in a boss fight.

e: I'm also dreading the Demon of Song, of all bosses. He's not too hard to dodge but he hits like a loving train when he does connect, especially that grab attack which will probably oneshot you.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 9, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Vermain posted:

Mytha's an RNG fight. Either she whacks you repeatedly with her three-hit combo that's nearly impossible to dodge, or she doesn't. Scorpioness Najka is similar: either you repeatedly bait out frontal tail attacks, or you don't, and the fight becomes immensely harder if it's the latter.

Mytha's a chump regardless of what she does and if you're having a hard time just effigy up and summon jester thomas.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

:(

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hey at least you don't have to worry about the demon of song anymore

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

For a no-death run I just suited up in the easiest, best stuff I knew I could use. I just rushed for the stats to use a halberd and by the end I was still haveling around with that halberd. I had 50 vigor and every bit of the defense was necessary (I got knocked down to just a sliver of health on the throne watcher/defender, one hit from death on the giant lord and nashandra too). Unless you've done a no-death run before I would just do what works best for you instead of trying something like no shield at the same time. Losing 5-10 hours in is just too much of a pain.

I probably wouldn't have tried again if I'd lost in drangleic castle, although I read about someone who lost a no-death run when they got blasted off an edge in dragon aerie by one of those exploding dudes. If that had happened to me, I think I would have destroyed every videogame ever and then gone into politics so I could work to outlaw the creation of any future ones.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Mr Dog posted:

Well I'm actually doing it. I'm attempting a no-death run through NG with powerstanced Rapiers.
While the burst damage powerstanced rapiers give you is really nice, your attacks will use a lot of stamina and a single rapier uses very little, which can be a lot more important for survivability. Powerstancing is good when it makes the difference between killing in one hit and not, but if you won't kill things in a single hit stick with one and a shield.

quote:

More than anything else I'm scared shitless of That Part in the shrine of Amana; even after summoning Felicia the entire fate of the run is going to be determined in something like three seconds: do the three Archdrakes die first, or do I?
If you mean the group of three towards the end of the first part of Amana, here's a tip: stick to the left side of the submerged ground, and you can get past them without aggroing them for some reason. Once you get to the end, you'll most likely end up pulling one of them, who you can kill just fine, and then you can move on or kill the other two, but two can be a lot easier than three and they'll probably arrive at your location at different times so you can kill the first quickly. You should probably test this on another character before trying to implement it on a no-death run, though.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
eh, powerstance Rapiers is the cheesiest and easiest poo poo I've managed to use so far. Pairing that with a shield would need me to practice a different style of cheesy play.

Trouble is it doesn't work so well against groups of poisey enemies in tight corners that can stunlock you and stab ten shades of poo poo out of you. I should probably put this game down for a while.

It's strange how calm the reaction is to a no-death run failing a decent way in. No anger, no yells of "oh BULLSHIT!!" just ".... oh. :(". Given how maddening and frustrating this game can sometimes be my own reaction to it surprised me a lot.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That was my reaction up to the third or fourth try, when I realized my composure was not going to take too many more losses kindly.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
If anyone is interested I'd be willing to write up a Titanite Large Shard/Chunk guide for no-death runs. The big trick for making the early game as safe and easy as possible is to gorge on Vigor/Endurance and compensate the low STR/DEX with getting weapon upgrades sooner then the game expects.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Flytrap posted:

loving with newbies is 100% of the point of low level PVP.

Yeah sure, but by virtue of the soul memory system you can't really metagame overpowered equipment like you could in Dark Souls 1, since that requires either upgrades on weak equipment or leveling to use overpowered equipment, both of which need souls. And even if you could, even the lowliest newbie who's not bothering to cap his soul rate will have probably have launched past the 30k souls mark probably before they even get out of the Forest of Giants.

Now, you could say "Well you can get like 100k soul memory or so and gently caress around with a large majority of newbies across several regions!", but if you're shooting for 100k souls in the first place then what does it matter whether you get them before or after you pick up the ring?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mr Dog posted:

eh, powerstance Rapiers is the cheesiest and easiest poo poo I've managed to use so far. Pairing that with a shield would need me to practice a different style of cheesy play.

Trouble is it doesn't work so well against groups of poisey enemies in tight corners that can stunlock you and stab ten shades of poo poo out of you. I should probably put this game down for a while.

You might want to just watch a speedrun. You don't have to go quite as fast as the people in these vids, but the route they pick and the weapons/items they use are picked because they're the fastest and safest way (minus the Red Tearstone Ring) to blow through the game. I'd say it's even more critical for a no-death run to do a fast method like this, because having to restart every single time while trying to actually fight enemies or whatever sounds like a goddamn nightmare.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mr Dog posted:

Well I'm actually doing it. I'm attempting a no-death run

I laughed but I winced too, sorry dude v:shobon:v

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
So I'm finally running an STR build since I've always gone with Dex and I am absolutely loving a Drakekeeper's Sword in the main hand an a Mastodon Halberd in the off hand. The Halberd hits like a truck, but I learned very quickly that if I hit a corpse with it it will instantly lose 25% durability.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I did my no death run back when Lightning spear and hexes still were OP as gently caress. Easy mode caster spamming made everything a joke. The closest to dying was probably almost falling to death on the way into the gutter.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

My record for a 100% completion fresh start Champion no death run is 2 Great Souls, after failing the jump to the Heavy Crossbow in Earthen Peak. Gravity truly is your greatest enemy :v:

Always remember that you can just use a homeward bone instead of doing a precarious jump to safety, and to always keep your Silvercat Ring on-hand.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Feb 9, 2015

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Getting chunks for defeating bell bros is a cool addition. Lay down small sign, put on bell ring, go off and do your thing. I can't remember, could you always put your sign on the bridge and leave the belfry to do whatever or did a patch add that? I seem to recall having to wait in the belfry if you wanted to coop.

There're a lot more people just waiting for invasions now, very cool. Not ganking, just waiting for matches.

I suspect that more people are finding summons now, with there being an extra incentive to help out. Very cool all around.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Anyone got a dragonbone out of the Bellbros yet?
20 invasions got me 13 chunks, 6 slabs and 1 twinkle.

There goes my dream of doing an Ornspear-run...

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Any good suggestions for STR/dex build weapon? I have been using the greatsword for bellbroing but am running up against lots of fast sword weilders. Are spin 2 win halbreds good for taking them out?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I love them for PVE, but in PVP you'll be hosed if you go up against someone who's leveled agility and knows how to roll.

Mokbek
Dec 19, 2014

Call Me The Shocker
I have some friends who've had to create a new character after some cheaters invaded them.

The cheaters would let themselves get killed on purpose and drop BILLIONS of souls essentially denying any sort of online play for them later.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Wait, this is recent?

Don't tell me they reverted the cap to souls you can get from invaders by accident.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

v1ld posted:

Getting chunks for defeating bell bros is a cool addition. Lay down small sign, put on bell ring, go off and do your thing. I can't remember, could you always put your sign on the bridge and leave the belfry to do whatever or did a patch add that? I seem to recall having to wait in the belfry if you wanted to coop.

There're a lot more people just waiting for invasions now, very cool. Not ganking, just waiting for matches.

I suspect that more people are finding summons now, with there being an extra incentive to help out. Very cool all around.

You can't put your sign on the bridge and then leave, sign goes away, but you don't need your sign down to be summoned by the ring.

Maybe they changed it, but I don't think that's how it worked before.

Yeah I think there's a lot more people PvPing right now than just before the patch.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Zaphod42 posted:

You can't put your sign on the bridge and then leave, sign goes away, but you don't need your sign down to be summoned by the ring.

Maybe they changed it, but I don't think that's how it worked before.

Yeah I think there's a lot more people PvPing right now than just before the patch.

huh? the sign doesn't go away. If you haven't been invaded by two bellbros simultaneously in the last 15 minutes (which triggers a temporary invasion lockout) then there's a very high risk of instantly getting invaded as soon as you cross the threshold (the message isn't loving around when it says "A trespasser has set foot in the bell tower", you literally set one foot in there and the server starts flinging invaders at you) but if that doesn't happen then you can drop a sign on the bridge and walk out again.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mokbek posted:

I have some friends who've had to create a new character after some cheaters invaded them.

The cheaters would let themselves get killed on purpose and drop BILLIONS of souls essentially denying any sort of online play for them later.

If this was recent that's weird. There's a cap on the souls you get from invaders; you get no more than you would from someone 50 levels above you. They did this because of cheaters that did that. Unless they did some CE fuckery or something but I haven't heard of this happening to anyone else recently.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mr Dog posted:

huh? the sign doesn't go away. If you haven't been invaded by two bellbros simultaneously in the last 15 minutes (which triggers a temporary invasion lockout) then there's a very high risk of instantly getting invaded as soon as you cross the threshold (the message isn't loving around when it says "A trespasser has set foot in the bell tower", you literally set one foot in there and the server starts flinging invaders at you) but if that doesn't happen then you can drop a sign on the bridge and walk out again.

If you're feeling like a cheap bastard after you've beaten the gargoyles and don't feel like dealing with bellbros while not a summon, you can run through the belltower, trigger an invader, and go through the fog gate immediately. Then when the invader is sent back, run back to the bridge and put down the sign.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr Dog posted:

You can walk across the bridge back to the area below the bonfire, yeah, but he said "go off and do your thing", if you go far away or warp to another zone then your soapstone is gonna go away. (unless they changed something). You can't really "do your thing" unless by that he meant just walking around in circles below the bonfire waiting to get summoned.

But yeah Belfry Luna is instant-invasion land. Meanwhile it seems nobody hangs out in Belfry Sol, I usually have to ring the bell and stand around for awhile to get anybody to show up.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Does ringing the bell do anything?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SHISHKABOB posted:

Does ringing the bell do anything?

I've always wondered.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I've always wondered.

It opens the door. You need to ring it once.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I wish ringing it a certain number of times (10? 100?) while invaded gave you some kind of reward. Play up the whole "protect the bell" bit.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I always figured it increased your chances of being invaded :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

You can walk across the bridge back to the area below the bonfire, yeah, but he said "go off and do your thing", if you go far away or warp to another zone then your soapstone is gonna go away. (unless they changed something). You can't really "do your thing" unless by that he meant just walking around in circles below the bonfire waiting to get summoned.

If you can even do this much then it's a change from before. I haven't tried it so I don't know if I'm understanding what they're saying correctly, but it used to be that if you dropped your summon sign on the bridge and then walked back behind the pharros door, your summon sign would go away. So your sign could only exist while you were in danger of getting invaded (Although I did find that you can drop it outside the boss door and then hang out in the boss arena to be safe, but that's not as good as having your sign at the start).