Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

My cats are broken and they actually love being around me. This is a problem because they constantly want in and out of my room at the expense of my privacy. It's worse at night, obviously, and if my door is closed they go metal drummer on that poo poo. What can I do to make them hate touching or being near my closed door?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ThePriceIsRight posted:

My cats are broken and they actually love being around me. This is a problem because they constantly want in and out of my room at the expense of my privacy. It's worse at night, obviously, and if my door is closed they go metal drummer on that poo poo. What can I do to make them hate touching or being near my closed door?

Just learn to shamefully masturbate under the disapproving gaze of your cats.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

"It's video games, Scully."
Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
I can testify that such a situation is very real and emasculating.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Pull up, thread! Pull up!

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
What proportion of raw food do you guys typically put in your cats' diets? We normally give our cats a chicken wing/neck once a week on Saturday and they love it. I'm thinking of trying to increase that to twice a week (or more?), but I'm seeing a lot of range in diets - some people are major believers in the raw food diet (60-90% raw food etc) and others do it only as treats or think that raw food is going to somehow kill your cat.

Is there a generally-accepted "optimum" ratio of dry food to raw food? And should we be looking at expanding beyond chickens into rabbits as well, or will they get all the calcium and nutrients etc from chicken wings and necks?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

What proportion of raw food do you guys typically put in your cats' diets? We normally give our cats a chicken wing/neck once a week on Saturday and they love it. I'm thinking of trying to increase that to twice a week (or more?), but I'm seeing a lot of range in diets - some people are major believers in the raw food diet (60-90% raw food etc) and others do it only as treats or think that raw food is going to somehow kill your cat.

Is there a generally-accepted "optimum" ratio of dry food to raw food? And should we be looking at expanding beyond chickens into rabbits as well, or will they get all the calcium and nutrients etc from chicken wings and necks?

The OP makes an argument that the optimum percentage of raw food is zero percentage, because microbes that the kitty can spread around and make you sick.

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"He enlists the help of strangers to make his perfect video game. When he gets bored of an idea, he murders them and moves on to the next, learning nothing in the process."
"Hmm... interesting."
Oh. On that note. When my cat was a couple years old I decided that she was kind of thin (I fed her all-dry food.) I went to a petshop whose owner was either a vet or had vet connections. I gave them my cat's pee and they found crystals in it. (Although I haven't been properly convinced that they couldn't have mistaken leftovers from the litter that I had tried my hardest to remove before pee collection.) On their recommendantion my cat was swiched first to a special urinary diet, then to raw food. But she has had problems with wet food for a while in that she likes to take small snacks from time to time instead of getting down to it properly once (or in fact only lap up all of the sauce in wet food) so you have to get real OCD to prevent it from going bad. So for a couple years I've been feeding her urinary dry food again. No problems, although I wouldn't mind varying my cat's diet with some wet food. Except, I feel like she doesn't eat through even these small 16 ounce bags quickly enough and they lose a lot of their flavor at the end. So I wouldn't want to stretch them out ever longer with wet supplements. Thoughts?

On the topic of raw food, I also became sort of convinced that the authenticity may be not worth the trouble on the basis of phosphorus-calcium balance which is supposed to be rather hard to get right on your own. Although that theory could easily belong to the rich pet food mythology for all I know. :shrug:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

CommonShore posted:

The OP makes an argument that the optimum percentage of raw food is zero percentage, because microbes that the kitty can spread around and make you sick.

I can't find any reference to that. Can you point it out to me?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I can't find any reference to that. Can you point it out to me?

poo poo, it's not there. Sorry. I 100% know that I read it here when I was doing cat food research a few months ago. It must have been in the pet nutrition megathread, since archived. The concern isn't so much the cat's responses to the microbes, as that the cat's poo poo will have salmonella and such which will be bad for you.

All I can do at this point is hope that someone else chimes in.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

A high quality dry food will give them all the calcium and other nutrients they need. Raw diets are notoriously difficult to balance and require supplements, like taurine, to work. Its just a lot more expense and effort for no real benefit. If they like their raw chicken neck on Saturdays keep it up as a fun thing for your cat to enjoy.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

CommonShore posted:

poo poo, it's not there. Sorry. I 100% know that I read it here when I was doing cat food research a few months ago. It must have been in the pet nutrition megathread, since archived. The concern isn't so much the cat's responses to the microbes, as that the cat's poo poo will have salmonella and such which will be bad for you.

Here's the nutrition thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549663&perpage=40

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

CommonShore posted:

A friend of mine is a vet, and he says when they find out an animal is fed raw, gloves go on immediately for all interaction with the pet. The diseases in raw food pass right through the animal into their poop. Cats walk in contaminated litter and they lick their contaminated buttholes, and smear the butt germs all over themselves via grooming until touching the cat puts you at risk.

So according to my friend you are right, it's more a health concern for the people than the animal.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I thought the reason for giving cats chicken necks had more to do with the mechanical action of chewing helping clean their teeth rather than for any nutritional benefit.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

khy posted:

I think it's actually from the Big Cat Rescue youtube channel. In fact I'm sure it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J11uu8L8FTY

http://bigcatrescue.org/

Dang, it's crazy how similar the enclosures look.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Organza Quiz posted:

I thought the reason for giving cats chicken necks had more to do with the mechanical action of chewing helping clean their teeth rather than for any nutritional benefit.

I don't think that's ever been proven as a benefit, though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Huntersoninski posted:

A friend of mine is a vet, and he says when they find out an animal is fed raw, gloves go on immediately for all interaction with the pet. The diseases in raw food pass right through the animal into their poop. Cats walk in contaminated litter and they lick their contaminated buttholes, and smear the butt germs all over themselves via grooming until touching the cat puts you at risk.

So according to my friend you are right, it's more a health concern for the people than the animal.

Yeah I wasn't afraid about being wrong, as I know this comes up every so often in this thread, and I've read the summary you just gave more than once (the "buttholes" part is familiar). I just was unhappy with my inability to find a source.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Well, I've tried introducing the cats after a week of trying to get them used to each others scents but they pretty much don't wanna know. My younger girl is actually the rear end in a top hat in this case and just gets all up in the boy cats face growling and hissing.

No outright fighting yet, but a lot of stare downs and posturing. Is that not so bad?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Octolady posted:

Well, I've tried introducing the cats after a week of trying to get them used to each others scents but they pretty much don't wanna know. My younger girl is actually the rear end in a top hat in this case and just gets all up in the boy cats face growling and hissing.

No outright fighting yet, but a lot of stare downs and posturing. Is that not so bad?

I took 6 months for my cats to become friends with my boyfriend's cats. It takes time, and it sounds like you are off to a good start, believe it or not.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
What do you do when your cat gets absolutely obsessed with certain things that you can't keep them away from? My cat will not leave the kitchen sponges alone. The first couple of times I found one in my bed were pretty funny, but I'm tired of constantly sanitizing/replacing them. I can't really spray bitter apple on them and I tried gently laying tin foil over them (so they're covered but can still dry out), but she just knocks the tin foil away and plays with the sponge anyway. I'm currently just zapping them in the microwave to sanitize and then just leaving them there. Is there a better solution?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Octolady posted:

That's all part of normal cat politics.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Zaftig posted:

Sponge problems

Sorry but that's hilarious. Maybe you could soak one in bitter apple and leave it out, and put away any actual cleaning sponges in a cabinet or something. Then kitty can learn that sponges taste terrible, and once he starts ignoring it then back to business as usual?

If not I'd say you just need to hide your sponges.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

I couldn't work out quite if this would be the right thread or or not without starting my own but it seemed like the best bet for a question.

My ex-wife has an old cat, he is about 20'ish. He has always been meowy but recently he has been really vocal and the usual methods of chilling him out haven't been working

His coat is still nice and shiny so he is still looking after himself.

He cant get around as well as he used to, we have built various ways for him to get to places to likes to get to. He still can get around, don't think anythings broken, joints etc.

My ex-wife really looks after him.

My basic question is, I wonder if the guy just has 'old man' problems. Are there any over the counter basic pain killer type stuff for cats that might make his life easier? Like you give to an elderly person with arthritis. Its worth a try to see if that's the problem, if that does no good we will have look at something else.

To head off possible responses, no she cant afford to rush him off the the vet for 50 zillion quid and yes he is very well looked after in all other possible ways.

Id appreciate any advice and would supply any more info if needed.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

It's never a good idea to start supplements or whatever from the pet store without consulting with a vet first. And you definitely shouldn't give him any people medications unless the vet specifically tells you to and teaches you how to dose properly.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

CompactFanny posted:

It's never a good idea to start supplements or whatever from the pet store without consulting with a vet first. And you definitely shouldn't give him any people medications unless the vet specifically tells you to and teaches you how to dose properly.
Obviously yes I'm not going to start sticking ibuprofen and paracetamol in his food. Did you actually read what I posted at all? Look forget it, dont know why I bothered.

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Seaside Loafer posted:

Obviously yes I'm not going to start sticking ibuprofen and paracetamol in his food. Did you actually read what I posted at all? Look forget it, dont know why I bothered.

Whoa relax. You asked one question - is there something I can give him OTC for "old man/arthritis" - and the answer is no, the only person who can help you with this is your vet. I'm sorry that upsets you.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Seaside Loafer posted:

Are there any over the counter basic pain killer type stuff for cats that might make his life easier?

There are not. If you're worried that your cat might be in pain and you want to figure out what's wrong with him, take him to the vet. Cats are very good at hiding discomfort, injuries and illnesses and the only person who's going to be able to diagnose what's wrong and prescribe safe painkillers if he needs them is a trained professional.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Alright sorry, I'm a bit cranky, mostly because that mostly lovable animal was crying its arse off all night so none of us got any sleep again.

So the consensus is no you cant just get that stuff and he has to go the vets yes? That's pretty much what I thought anyway, problem is she cant really afford it as i originally said.

If she was paris hilton and could take her animal for the best care in the land she would do it.

In my personal opinion its just really old and cranky and its neural networks have come to associate crying with something good happening and there isn't really anything practical to be done about it.

It is really loved and stuff by them (and me, Ive know him for 15 years) honest, but you have to think about practicalities, my daughter cant go to school every day with no sleep right? I love the cat and all but something has to be done.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

It may very well be a form of dementia, where he's terrified because he can't figure out where all his people have gone. Perhaps locking him in a bathroom with a litterbox, food and water will muffle things enough. It may be worth a visit to the vet just to get some advice on dealing with a cat in its dotage.

What he really needs is a buddy to keep him company at night. :v:

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

e: ^^^ Yeah he did loose his sister a few months back, if you search me on this sub forum you can find i think the only first post ive ever made here crying about her dieing

I think the main thing is is that you used to be able to work out what he wanted and now its just completly random. He will just sort of start up for 30-60 mins and while looking wobbly. Lets face it he is prolly just sort of cat senile.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 9, 2015

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Seaside Loafer posted:

Alright sorry, I'm a bit cranky, mostly because that mostly lovable animal was crying its arse off all night so none of us got any sleep again.

So the consensus is no you cant just get that stuff and he has to go the vets yes? That's pretty much what I thought anyway, problem is she cant really afford it as i originally said.

If you are too poor to afford the regular price of a checkup at the vet, the BVA has some links to charities who might be able to help with the cost since it looks like you're in the UK.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
My cats been sneezing since Saturday, I feel bad :(

Also, I'm covered with cat snot

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious

CompactFanny posted:

Sorry but that's hilarious. Maybe you could soak one in bitter apple and leave it out, and put away any actual cleaning sponges in a cabinet or something. Then kitty can learn that sponges taste terrible, and once he starts ignoring it then back to business as usual?

If not I'd say you just need to hide your sponges.

It is kind of hilarious. I often wake up next to a toy mouse, a jingly ball, and my scouring sponge. Soaking a sacrificial one in bitter apple is a good idea.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I've posted about getting my girlfriend's cat used to her new home over the last few months and I think we're finally in the clear and on the road to cat friends. We originally took her to the vet for peeing out of her box and they thought it was just stress from the move, so we did our best to make her more comfortable and would change a few things, the peeing would stop for a few days then start again. After a bit of that we took her to a different vet and they found a UTI, after about 2 weeks on that medication she stopped peeing out of her box. It's been really nice to not have to clean up cat pee and being able to take down all the plastic we had put up in there.

It's been about a month since the vet and she even seems to be warming up to my cat existing, it was beautiful out yesterday and they were both passed out in the bedroom, basking in the sun for most of the day.

(Phoenix is the orange kitty on the pillow, and the tuxedo is my dumb little boy. Notice how he's gotten as close as she'll let him and extended his arm, lol)

She still hisses at him if he moves too quickly around her or gets too close, but we can live with that and they seem to be getting along better. We still close her in with a pet gate while we're at work, but I think we'll try stopping that soon. She's getting too used to just being in there and we want her to feel like she can explore more of the house.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Okay I need to get this solved..

I have three cats Neco, Leighton, and Cas. Neco was the original followed by Leighton as a kitten. Cas we (me and my fiance) adopted from outside over almost two years ago. Currently Cas's territory is our bedroom and the other two have the other area of the apartment. We switch them out every other day.. Cas sleeps with us every night.

There has been attacks from the two on Cas with drawing blood. We still cannot get them to get along and have tried drat near everything. Cas and Neco can have a short peace together in the same room but it generally ends up with Neco trying to attack.

Things we have tried:
-Playing together (no good.. no one plays)
-Feeding together with a gate (works, but with constant stare downs)
-Allowing them to sniff each other through the gate (this seems okay but usually ends up in swatting)
-Supervised 1 on 1 meetings (always ends up in near violence after a few minutes of nervous peace)
-Switching their territories (they are very used to each others smells)

I think part of the problem is Cas is intimidated by the two and Leighton is an rear end in a top hat. Neco is very relaxed but he is the oldest and at one point was the only cat. Neco and Leighton are all buddy buddy.

Any insight?

crowbb
Feb 25, 2013
Slippery Tilde
Sorry to sadden up the thread, but has anyone heard of something like this?

2 weeks ago I took my cat Jinx to the vet because he had a red lesion on one of his front paw pads and the other front paw pad was swollen and flaky. Vet thought it was a burn from jumping on the hot stove which wouldn't surprise me if he did it. She gave him an antibiotic shot and a cone for 10 days. Today I went back thinking he would get the cone off because his paw looked better to me (Couldn't see the lesion anymore but still swollen).

Upon further inspection the vet said it was actually worse than before and she picked the scab off to reveal a hole in his paw pad that led to nasty red fleshiness beneath. His other front paw is still swollen and now it is spreading to his back paws as well (One is somewhat swollen and the other is starting to show the flakiness look). She did a test and is sending the results to the lab for a culture and further tests. She brought him to see their internal specialist and they both agreed they have never seen anything like this.

The current theory is some kind of bacterial infection but they really don't know. I have different antibiotics now plus his wounded paw is thorougly bandaged up and took him home to await the test results.

Right now the vet seems lost. She said it could still be a burn and he picked up something on the paw with the lesion, but seems to be leaning more towards bacterial infection. There is talk of a possible visit to a dermatologist or a bunch more tests including a biopsy.

His behavior is pretty much normal though some of his sleeping places had to change since he can't fit everywhere with the cone on. He still eats regularly and begs for food when he thinks its time. He still does all his usual routines and wasn't limping or showing any signs of pain. Now that he's got the bandaged leg he's hopping all over unhappily.

Right now I don't know what to think. I guess I'm hoping for the bacterial infection because he's already receiving treatment for that, but plenty of scary things are making their way into my thoughts of course. Then there's the thought of how I'm going to pay for this stuff but that's for another day.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
We got a kitten this weekend and she's doing fine although we think she has probably-tapeworms (seen white stuff around her butt). We got her from the humane society who said that she had been de-wormed but 'next de-worming is due 2/15' so there's another one due? We emailed them to ask what's up and no answer so far, but apparently cats only get partial deworming treatment because they're too young to get it all at once.

On the same topic, this is probably a great time to get de-worming done for the other 2 adult cats, and for my wife and I just in case. Adult cat de-worming: vet or over the counter?
Human deworming: over the counter or doctor-prescribed?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

To chime in, I've got a pair of indoor cats in an apartment building. There's other cats around the building as well. When I adopted them, they said it's probably not necessary to worm them regularly. Should I though?

supermikhail
Nov 17, 2012

Video games?"
"Hmm... interesting."
Well, I buy deworming agents over the counter (and vets have never objected), and the instructions say in cases of confirmed worms you're supposed to repeat this thing 10 days later. And at least one vet has said to do preventative deworming once every 3 months. Kind of makes sense, since they regularly lick their feet with which they walk everywhere. Can't comment on man-worms, though, but maybe I should (...know something about it).

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online

redreader posted:

We got a kitten this weekend and she's doing fine although we think she has probably-tapeworms (seen white stuff around her butt). We got her from the humane society who said that she had been de-wormed but 'next de-worming is due 2/15' so there's another one due? We emailed them to ask what's up and no answer so far, but apparently cats only get partial deworming treatment because they're too young to get it all at once.

On the same topic, this is probably a great time to get de-worming done for the other 2 adult cats, and for my wife and I just in case. Adult cat de-worming: vet or over the counter?
Human deworming: over the counter or doctor-prescribed?

My adopted cat had supposedly been dewormed but came home with tapeworms. Sounds like yours just needs to do another round.

You don't need to worry about catching your cat's tapeworms, though. The kind of tapeworms cats get come from eating fleas, which is where tapeworm eggs are carried. Unless you are eating your cat's poop you're not going to get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

Seaside Loafer posted:

e: ^^^ Yeah he did loose his sister a few months back, if you search me on this sub forum you can find i think the only first post ive ever made here crying about her dieing

I think the main thing is is that you used to be able to work out what he wanted and now its just completly random. He will just sort of start up for 30-60 mins and while looking wobbly. Lets face it he is prolly just sort of cat senile.

My old rear end cat went senile at around 16 and stayed cheerfully insane until he died at 18. He would wander the house at night bellowing because he went deaf and couldn't hear anyone (or himself). We got used to sticking a leg out of bed and thumping the floor and he'd come running and jump into bed with whoever. But also many other stupid old senile cat things and you just kind of have to just go "okay old man cat, you are really old, you probably deserve to be a bit goofy now" although probably after you've ruled out anything actually being wrong with him.