Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Sucrose posted:

No, you're right, economically at least. American imports of British goods actually surpassed what they had been in the colonial period within like 10 years of the war ending. Which really shouldn't be surprising, considering how rapidly the population was growing, but it flew in the face of previous economic theory that said the trade should gradually die off as the US produced its own goods. There's evidence that independence did somewhat hurt the British Caribbean colonies for a while, mostly because the British insisted on slapping a few tariffs on the triangular trade between them and the now-independent US, but the sugar islands were inevitably decreasing in importance anyway due to competition, and anyway, obviously anything that reduced the profitability of Caribbean sugar production was ultimately A Good Thing for humanity.

I do agree with him about Louisiana Territory. Without Napoleon desperately needing cash, the US would probably have wound up fighting a war with France over it eventually, since US-France relations were none too hot (to put it lightly) in the preceding decades anyway. Not sure about the Ohio Valley and Great Lakes region. One thing to remember is that the colonies were rapidly gobbling up Native American territory by "treaty" even in the 1760s-early 1770s, and some of the plans for further expansion being floated to the British government were ironically derailed mostly by increasing hostility between the colonies and motherland. I think western expansion would have continued at a pretty steady pace regardless of most anything, but if the British had been in charge it might have been more Canada-like, with larger reservations made for major allied tribes like the Iroquois. One thing both the British government and then later the US federal government had a complete inability to do was prevent border settlers from spilling over and squatting on Indian Territory, which led to further conflicts.

I would argue that delays would have been significant. If we claim that no Loisiana stymie western expansion for 20ish years, one could well end up with Russians meeting the Mexicans in California, or the British cutting off western expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Have you ever wondered what early modern German men found sexy in early modern German women? Archival research is here to answer this question: in 1658, the official in charge of the sheep pens in Effringen, Baden-Wurttemberg, was recorded as saying that he would like to sleep with the shepherd's wife "because she was so cute and strong" ("Sie seye so hipsch vnd starkh Er möchte bey Ihren schlaffen"). Both men and women of this social class would have spent their lives doing heavy physical work.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
So, translated, they liked their women rather masculine?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Spacewolf posted:

So, translated, they liked their women rather masculine?
Not at all--he just appreciates that she's got the capacity to be good at what they do. If the difference between prospering and starving next year is carried on your back, you'll impress the people you know if you're up to the job.

Edit: Also, hair seems to have been a huge deal, considering that a lot of the time the mounds of braids that women wear are actually made of false hair. In the 16th century it was available in lots of colors too, like pink or green. Dunno about the 17th.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Feb 8, 2015

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

HEY GAL posted:

Not at all--he just appreciates that she's got the capacity to be good at what they do. If the difference between prospering and starving next year is carried on your back, you'll impress the people you know if you're up to the job.

Edit: Also, hair seems to have been a huge deal, considering that a lot of the time the mounds of braids that women wear are actually made of false hair. In the 16th century it was available in lots of colors too, like pink or green. Dunno about the 17th.

One also believed (with justification iirc) that strong women were less likely to die in childbirth.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HEY GAL posted:

If you want to get people to learn more about this period, just tell them about the historically accurate anime hair.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Mightypeon posted:

I would argue that delays would have been significant. If we claim that no Loisiana stymie western expansion for 20ish years, one could well end up with Russians meeting the Mexicans in California, or the British cutting off western expansion.

I think the US would have gone to war with France over Lousiana Territory by 1830 if France wouldn't sell, and by 1830 in real life there hadn't been much American settlement beyond the Mississsippi yet, so the delay wouldn't mean much.

But now I've veered into guessing games rather than actual history.

HEY GAL posted:

I would like to see that in a period piece movie set in the 16th century. Nobody would believe it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

my dad posted:

If you want to get people to learn more about this period, just tell them about the historically accurate anime hair.

Sucrose posted:

I would like to see that in a period piece movie set in the 16th century. Nobody would believe it.
I learned it from this video, which also shows the creation of a fine set of 16th century men's clothes step-by-step.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91hysO_suRo

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

HEY GAL posted:

Have you ever wondered what early modern German men found sexy in early modern German women? Archival research is here to answer this question: in 1658, the official in charge of the sheep pens in Effringen, Baden-Wurttemberg, was recorded as saying that he would like to sleep with the shepherd's wife "because she was so cute and strong" ("Sie seye so hipsch vnd starkh Er möchte bey Ihren schlaffen"). Both men and women of this social class would have spent their lives doing heavy physical work.

Cute as a button and can choke a ram if need be, what's not to like?

And punks not dead, too.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Sucrose posted:

I think the US would have gone to war with France over Lousiana Territory by 1830 if France wouldn't sell, and by 1830 in real life there hadn't been much American settlement beyond the Mississsippi yet, so the delay wouldn't mean much.

But now I've veered into guessing games rather than actual history.

In this alt-history, who wins the Napoleonic wars? If the Brits do, than the US gets to pick it off of Spain assuming that they just don't seize it during the war of 1812.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

sullat posted:

In this alt-history, who wins the Napoleonic wars? If the Brits do, than the US gets to pick it off of Spain assuming that they just don't seize it during the war of 1812.

Just assuming that France, for whatever reason, doesn't want to sell Louisiana.

HEY GAL posted:

I learned it from this video, which also shows the creation of a fine set of 16th century men's clothes step-by-step.

My, the codpieces.

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 8, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Sucrose posted:

My, the codpieces.
I think we're all pretty sure what early modern German women found sexy in early modern German men.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Sucrose posted:

Just assuming that France, for whatever reason, doesn't want to sell Louisiana.

I guess what I was trying to get at was that France had taken Louisiana away from Spain and probably would have been forced to give it back at the end of the war, unless Britain had simply taken it (which was one of the motivations for Napoleon selling it). Like buying a bicycle from a guy lurking around the train station, you don't ask too many questions, after all, it's your lucky day to get a cheap bike.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

sullat posted:

I guess what I was trying to get at was that France had taken Louisiana away from Spain and probably would have been forced to give it back at the end of the war, unless Britain had simply taken it (which was one of the motivations for Napoleon selling it). Like buying a bicycle from a guy lurking around the train station, you don't ask too many questions, after all, it's your lucky day to get a cheap bike.

Oh yeah. Point is, the US would have eventually gone to war over Louisiana Territory, regardless of which country owned it.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

HEY GAL posted:

I think we're all pretty sure what early modern German women found sexy in early modern German men.

Yeah: Money

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kaal posted:

Also: Titles.

Don't want none if he ain't a Von.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Kaal posted:

https://www.pinterest.com/karrostorling/landsknecht-asses/

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That's some rule 34 poo poo right there.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
You know, I seem to recall that in these old texts, the word stark could also mean that somebody is chubby. A classical case of "the rear end was fat"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

FAUXTON posted:

That's some rule 34 poo poo right there.
Just about every Landsknecht-related art showcases rear end.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HEY GAL posted:

Well they gotta have income in peacetime.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

The seminal alien invasion novel, War of the Worlds, specifically mentions the genocide of Tasmanians as an allegory for the invasion. But unlike the real invasions by Europeans, the invaders are the ones destroyed by foreign diseases.

I know I'm a bit late to the party here, but I couldn't leave that spoiler uncommented. We also brought some nasty diseases back to Europe, like Syphilis. Syphilis struck first, even: The first known cases of Syphilis were among Columbus' crew and the new disease spread like wildfire through Europe. So in a way, the real world mirrors the War of the Worlds. The invaders just died too fast to bring our diseases back home to Mars. :v:

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

That everything was brown and grey is the worst history trope

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Nenonen posted:

Japan should have sent a number of cargo ships ladden with explosives through the Panama Canal destined to commit a kamikaze attack against its locks and other merchant vessels on Pearl Harbor day.

The only way for Japan to win a war against the USA was to convince America that a prolonged fight wasn't worth it- it would be easier to negotiate, cut a deal, agree to neutralize the Philippines and help resolve the Sino-Japanese War as a neutral arbitrator in exchange for the Japanese retreating from their colonial conquests, etc. than to fight. The high command had the well-known decisive battle approach, Yamamoto believed that he could achieve this via doing enough damage to the Pacific Fleet, etc. but nobody on the Japanese side was under any illusions about what a prolonged war meant (and a substantial number of civilians figured that they were doomed as soon as they got over the rush from finally fighting a colonial power instead of murdering fellow Asians). So from this perspective, all it would do, at best, is delay the amount of time before a few dozen carriers and battleships steamrollered the Combined Fleet.

Of course, it's entirely likely that this was impossible in the first place given the shifts in American attitudes since 1905, and the failures of the Japanese government during 1940 and 1941 diplomatically made it even less likely that the US would believe the Japanese leadership was arguing in good faith, before we consider the complete failure of Pearl Harbor.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme

Effectronica posted:

The only way for Japan to win a war against the USA was to convince America that a prolonged fight wasn't worth it- it would be easier to negotiate, cut a deal, agree to neutralize the Philippines and help resolve the Sino-Japanese War as a neutral arbitrator in exchange for the Japanese retreating from their colonial conquests, etc. than to fight. The high command had the well-known decisive battle approach, Yamamoto believed that he could achieve this via doing enough damage to the Pacific Fleet, etc. but nobody on the Japanese side was under any illusions about what a prolonged war meant (and a substantial number of civilians figured that they were doomed as soon as they got over the rush from finally fighting a colonial power instead of murdering fellow Asians). So from this perspective, all it would do, at best, is delay the amount of time before a few dozen carriers and battleships steamrollered the Combined Fleet.

Of course, it's entirely likely that this was impossible in the first place given the shifts in American attitudes since 1905, and the failures of the Japanese government during 1940 and 1941 diplomatically made it even less likely that the US would believe the Japanese leadership was arguing in good faith, before we consider the complete failure of Pearl Harbor.

In that case, wouldn't a surprise attack like Pearl Harbor or a terrorist attack like that Panama Canal plan Nenonen proposed really be the worst possible thing to do?
I.e. if you want to wage a 'traditional' war, which is what the decisive battle followed by treaty negotiations really is, shouldn't you try to adhere to the customs like the timely declaration of war as much as possible?
Do we know if anyone e.g. Yamamoto considered this angle?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Yamamoto specifically wanted the declaration of war delivered right before the attack, but it turns out that you can't always arrange such things with that level of precision.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

scissorman posted:

In that case, wouldn't a surprise attack like Pearl Harbor or a terrorist attack like that Panama Canal plan Nenonen proposed really be the worst possible thing to do?
I.e. if you want to wage a 'traditional' war, which is what the decisive battle followed by treaty negotiations really is, shouldn't you try to adhere to the customs like the timely declaration of war as much as possible?
Do we know if anyone e.g. Yamamoto considered this angle?

Yamamoto was convinced that he understood the American public much better than his superiors, and that they would be so disheartened at the devastation of their battleships that they would be unwilling to fight.

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Yamamoto specifically wanted the declaration of war delivered right before the attack, but it turns out that you can't always arrange such things with that level of precision.

Well, no, the fourteen-part message did not declare war on the USA, and frankly it's unlikely that declaring war just thirty minutes before the attack would be meaningful.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I met an 92 year old man at the gyms sauna today. I stuck up a conversation because he was wearing real short little UDT shorts. He told me he wasnt in UDT, but his son did like 16 years in them. He told me he was in the navy during WW2, on a ship (no subs, he said they scare him) and participated in D-Day, Battle of the Atlantic, Battle of the Phillipines, and another major Pacific conflict, I want to say Okinawa.

Is this possible? Did the Navy switch assets from one theater to another im such a way this would be feasible?

He knew a bunch of navy poo poo and had an Annapolis class ring, but also said his ship was off the coast of Japan, and heard a boom and they later found out it was the bomb.... so idk

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
It seems plausible enough. Ships were switched between theaters, and US ships got fairly close to the coast of Japan towards the end.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Waroduce posted:

He knew a bunch of navy poo poo and had an Annapolis class ring, but also said his ship was off the coast of Japan, and heard a boom and they later found out it was the bomb.... so idk

It's possible that they heard the explosion of Nagasaki (the explosion is said to have been heard 15 miles away), though it is perhaps more probable that he simply saw the explosion (which was seen hundreds of miles away) and is slightly exaggerating it. If his story is true, I'd expect that his ship would have fought across the Atlantic, supported the Normandy invasion, and then switched theatres and then acted in a supporting/reinforcing role on its way past the Philippines and ultimately to Japan. There's time for this to happen, if only just, and I think that I'd prefer to believe that it was the case than accuse a 92-year-old guy of an elaborate lie.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 8, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HEY GAL posted:

Napoleonic plates really like to put the emphasis on the groin area of the breeches as well.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

SeanBeansShako posted:

Napoleonic plates really like to put the emphasis on the groin area of the breeches as well.

It was the era of the tight trou.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Just from looking at the list of allied ships on D-Day, if he served on the Nevada it'd cover everything but the Philippines.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
It's not that implausible. My grandfather's ship was a DE that did convoy escort from 43-44, got converted in the US into an APD, and was in San Diego when the war ended. Lots of ships got transferred over from time to time as needed, and sailors themselves could be transferred to different ships as necessary. Without any other reason to doubt his story I'd certainly believe him.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Disinterested posted:

It was the era of the tight trou.

Hey baby, check out THIS Greecian male body ideal!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Kaal posted:

It's possible that they heard the explosion of Nagasaki (the explosion is said to have been heard 15 miles away), though it is perhaps more probable that he simply saw the explosion (which was seen hundreds of miles away) and is slightly exaggerating it. If his story is true, I'd expect that his ship would have fought across the Atlantic, supported the Normandy invasion, and then switched theatres and then acted in a supporting/reinforcing role on its way past the Philippines and ultimately to Japan. There's time for this to happen, if only just, and I think that I'd prefer to believe that it was the case than accuse a 92-year-old guy of an elaborate lie.

There's nothing implausile about his story since the Navy rotated major warships through both theaters throughout the war. Texas shelled Normandy and Iwo Jima, and North Carolina and Wasp did duty in the Atlantic and Mediterranean alongside the Royal Navy before going to the South Pacific.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 8, 2015

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
While looking for more on false braids, I found this picture:

A false-braid maker with some of his wares, from the Hausbuch der Landauerschen Zwölfbrüderstiftung. You can see purple, sea green, and red! :sparkles: And since this is from the 17th century, now I know they had lots of colors as well as the 16th.

The Landauersche Zwölfbrüderstiftung was an old-age home/religious order. The top inscription reads "In the year 1654, on the 1st of June, Wolff Rummel, by trade a braid-maker, was taken into the Zwölf brü. house in his 63rd year." The bottom one, in a different hand, says "In 1663, on the 11th of January, Rummel, painted here, came to his end prematurely, dying blessedly in the Lord, and on the 12th huius he was buried beneath the stone of this order."

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Feb 9, 2015

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Dear god... 16th century Cybergoths :stare:

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Arquinsiel posted:

Dear god... 16th century Cybergoths :stare:

I'd watch the poo poo out of that B-movie. Gas masks and hats with absurdly huge feathers on them! Bullet belts and slashed doublets!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Since I'm really stoked about the upcoming premiere for 9th of April, let's talk about the Operation Weserübung, the invasion of Denmark!

It's been a while, but if I remember correctly, we gave good officers leave in Sweden, and refused to take defensive positions, because the government didn't want to provoke Germany or give them any excuses :eng99:

The first to meet the Germans were a bicycle/motorcycle platoon, who actually put a dent in the invasion before leaving.. And then Denmark was crushed flat like a pancake. Our exceedingly quick capitulation after 6 hours stands as the record for shortest military operation during the war :denmark:

Oh well, at least our resistance tore them a new rear end in a top hat.

Trailer for 9th of April:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmcttiebIN0

• Locked thread