Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

Fat Turkey posted:

I visited Draughts again on a whim on Saturday. I got there at 11:15am and got the second to last table, and there was always a queue for tables from 11:30pm onwards. Consider that if you intend on going.

Huh, weirdly enough I was there at that time too. On a second impression, I still quite like it but it gets incredibly loud once it's full up. We were all feeling a bit hoarse at the end of the day, and I was in actual pain from having to read the rules, teach and then play Dominant Species.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Ahhh that makes sense. I should have guessed, although it seems awkwardly written by saying take 5 cubes and leave two in the box. My own fault though.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

So my playgroup has now instituted the use of chess clocks in Caylus. I highly recommend it, it makes the game incredibly frantic as you recklessly jockey for position and resources.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
^^^^
I've used 20 mins a round chess clocks in Twilight Struggle with great success.

Aston posted:

Huh, weirdly enough I was there at that time too. On a second impression, I still quite like it but it gets incredibly loud once it's full up. We were all feeling a bit hoarse at the end of the day, and I was in actual pain from having to read the rules, teach and then play Dominant Species.

I completely agree, i like it but from 2pm till I leave I have to really raise my voice and my throat feels sore. Even worse when reading rules out half the time. Not Mich they can do about it, its a sign of it being more popular than the premises they have. I just wish it wasn't so noisy. I would suggest they don't bother with playing music though, as I think it adds to a loudness war and none can hear it anyway.

One other thing I forgot to mention. When I left at around 7pm I had a scan of the games bring played. There were 2 games of CaH, Jenga and Settlers each being played. Some of the games on the shelf must be tearing up at that.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Madmarker posted:

So my playgroup has now instituted the use of chess clocks in Caylus. I highly recommend it, it makes the game incredibly frantic as you recklessly jockey for position and resources.

Every game should come with a timer

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Lord Frisk posted:

Every game should come with a timer

Honestly, I really want to do that anytime we play a Euro strategy game. It really cuts down on the AP all my gamer friends have.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

if you can't get twilight struggle to final scoring in under two hours :frogout:

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Megasabin posted:

iOS please.

So how much interaction is there in terra Mystica? Does it get start getting cutthroat in terms of cutting people off or is it more geometry solitare? I've been debating between TM and dominant species for a long time now. Both seem like medium-heavy weight euros that are highly regarded. Our group tends to like games like Caylus, eclipse, Tigris and Euphrates, Game
Of thrones.

There's definitely interaction in Terra mystica. It's more noticeable the more players you have as the board is more crowded. You want to build near other people to get cheaper trading posts and power, but you also want room to expand. You're also competing on the cult tracks, and you can go up those a few different ways. It can actually be very cutthroat in the first few rounds as border lines get drawn and people take contested spots. Later, there can be a rush to use the power actions for resources or to affect the board.

I'd say dominant species is heavier than Terra mystica if you're wondering. Terra mystica flows really nicely when you're playing, while dominant species has rounds where you've just been wrecked and have no clue what to do

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Terra Mystica has a lot of mechanisms that aid to increase interactivity and I don't think it is a solitaire game by a long shot. It is less directly adversarial than Eclipse or even Settlers but it doesn't mean that the interactivity isn't there.

Just to name a few systems within it:

- Cult tracks that have limited slots for placing priests, with only one slot for 3 influence and only 3 slots for 2 influence. As well as that, only one person can go to the 10 slot in each track.
- Limited number of actions that require magic on the board: if you use something, the action is used up for the turn and other people can't choose it.
- End-of-game scoring forces you to have the largest connected number of regions: it is therefore really important to cut people off/join up your settlements. It is important also to keep track of where your opponents are and where they can reach (through shipping etc).
- Limited number of favour tiles means that the one you want could be taken from you.
- Limited number of town rewards means that the one you want could be taken from you. Since towns also require either 3 or 4 connected areas, it is possible to stop them from forming altogether in certain situations.
- Trading posts forcing you to be near players in order to economize on their cost.

If you just play your own game and not pay attention to what other people are doing, you will lose in TM.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Tekopo posted:

If you just play your own game and not pay attention to what other people are doing, you will lose in TM.

The other thing to remember in TM is that putting a building down won't get you any victory points in and of itself; sometimes you need to build up resources and position yourself so that (for example) you can build a ton of Trading Posts in the turn that rewards you for building Trading Posts.

I really really enjoy Terra Mystica and wish I could play it more.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

StashAugustine posted:

if you can't get twilight struggle to final scoring in under two hours :frogout:

If you let your game of twilight struggle get to final scoring :frogout:

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Elyv posted:

yeah, I looked over the rules again about half an hour ago and I think we're supposed to have desert effects after every turn instead of after every turn cycle. :downs:

Hah. Yes, having 3x as long to complete the game and basically never having to worry about water and running out of sand and only having the sand level rise like every 12 turns makes it a fair bit simpler.

My group has like a 20% win rate on normal.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Tekopo posted:

Terra Mystica has a lot of mechanisms that aid to increase interactivity and I don't think it is a solitaire game by a long shot. It is less directly adversarial than Eclipse or even Settlers but it doesn't mean that the interactivity isn't there.

Just to name a few systems within it:

- Cult tracks that have limited slots for placing priests, with only one slot for 3 influence and only 3 slots for 2 influence. As well as that, only one person can go to the 10 slot in each track.
- Limited number of actions that require magic on the board: if you use something, the action is used up for the turn and other people can't choose it.
- End-of-game scoring forces you to have the largest connected number of regions: it is therefore really important to cut people off/join up your settlements. It is important also to keep track of where your opponents are and where they can reach (through shipping etc).
- Limited number of favour tiles means that the one you want could be taken from you.
- Limited number of town rewards means that the one you want could be taken from you. Since towns also require either 3 or 4 connected areas, it is possible to stop them from forming altogether in certain situations.
- Trading posts forcing you to be near players in order to economize on their cost.

There's also the power gain from an opponent building next to you. If you keep building up next to one player you end up feeding them a lot of power which opens up a lot of options for them.

Incidentally, Terra Mystica tends to get better with more players, with 2-player being one of those supported-in-name-only things.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Had a board game weekend this weekend, with a bunch of friends, acquaintances and strangers. Met some new people and also discovered that assholes ruin games like nothing else.

One dude was being kind of a prick on Friday. We were playing games after long breaks, so nobody really remembered the rules that well and as a result there was a lot of "dude B flicks through rulebook, discovers we've played a thing wrong, we correct and move on". Except this guy was taking it personally all night long and getting weirdly aggressive about it.

Thinks came to a head on Saturday when we played Cutthroat Caverns. For those who don't know, it's a game where you kinda have to work together to kill MMO style bosses (each with their own rules on who they attack, how they take damage etc) by queuing up damage cards from your hand. On top of that is a layer of player interaction: only the last guy to hit the boss gets points for the kill, so there's a lot of jockeying for position, manipulating everyone else's attacks to hit for less or more etc.

Anyway, there's a boss who has 180 HP. Attacks range from 5-100 points and there are cards that can modify the strength but usually players have to preload them for the next turn so everyone can see that Bobby's gonna hit for 2x damage next time.

I'm going third and I have a 2x card in front of me. The aggro guy was going second and also had a 2x card in front of him. My girlfriend, who was leading in overall points at the time, was going first. She didn't have a 2x card, so the best she could do was a 100 point hit, which wouldn't be able to kill the boss. But regardless of what she did, the second guy WOULD be able to kill the boss if he had a 100 point card queued up. And then there was also Guy 4 but he isn't relevant to the story. Everyone with me so far?

I had a card which enabled me to cause one player to effectively miss their turn: their attack would whiff and they couldn't play more attack cards that turn. Knowing everything I outlined above, I played the whiff card on the aggressive guy. He immediately flips his poo poo, goes CRIMSON in the face, eyes bulging and starts yelling at me for playing like an idiot and making a suboptimal move. Everyone tries to explain to him that no, I did not in fact do so. I walk him through the thought process, even going as far as flipping over his queued attack card and revealing that he had, in fact, queued up a 100 point card. He would not be swayed. I should have blocked my girlfriend's card because she had the points lead and everything else was such an obviously bad move that it was blatantly obvious I was trying to be a kingmaker and get my girlfriend the win.

He stormed off, vowing to never play with us again. Imagine my massive disappointment. So, what are your stories of Playing Boardgames With Shitheads?

(we also played a bunch of Samurai Sword which finally makes Bang! fun by removing player elimination, Eldritch Horror which I still really like and Elder Sign, which I want to like but just walk away from underwhelmed every single time)

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Bought the new printing of Onirim for future mother in law. She plays spider and other forms of solitaire every morning and loves shuffling so after trying out Onirim for myself to make sure it's ok for her I decided it would be a good fit. Well, it went over really well and she was pretty excited about it and thought it was amazing that games like that exist.

The packaging in this 2nd edition is really elegant compared to the previous printing. It unfolds out into the separate rule books that cover the base game and expansions. The production quality is much higher. It comes with an incubus figurine that I don't know what it's for. Since it comes with 7 expansions it should provide years of enjoyment for her.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Enjoying the hell out of CitOW lately has me really excited for the El Grande big box.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I've been in a group for about a year (and they played for at least a year before that). One of the players has just been getting grumpier and grumpier about playing new games. He'll say he wants to play, and he'll listen to the rules, and he'll play, but then his grumpiness ends up just torpedoing the game (he'll ask the same question tens of times or just torpedo the game by not doing anything). One of these weeks I'm sure it's going to come to a pass where we just end up confronting him about it. I don't care if he doesn't want to play games, but don't prevent other people from playing games as well.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Gimnbo posted:

Incidentally, Terra Mystica tends to get better with more players, with 2-player being one of those supported-in-name-only things.

This is very true. Don't be like me and let your first Terra Mystica experience be a two player test run to try the game out. It will feel like a slog.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I have a family friend who has a bit of a personality disorder who lost it and went into an episode when they couldn't complete their big ticket in Ticket to Ride because a couple of us unintentionally blocked her routes and she didn't fully grasp the consequences. :smith:. Made me think of that game in a different light.

My mom always wants to join when we get together and play games during family visits, and she has this tendency to switch back and forth between being able to play her turns independently to relying on the rest of the table to sort of be her bumper guards or computer, so to speak. We'll play a game of Dominion, and she'll do fine and maybe even trounce us (she's a big fan of cards like Torturer). And then the next game, we'll have to remind her to not gain cards directly to her hand, to not discard cards as she plays them, how many cards she needs to draw, etc. It can get a little straining because I become the default "watch the state of the game and make sure it's not incorrect" person and that sort of saps my enjoyment. And my sister and I generally want to play stuff that's mid-weight like Dominion as opposed to purely lighter faire. But at the same time, she's my mom! I'm not going to play games that make her feel unwelcome so we always help out.

One thing that I'm trying more and more of is to delegate board state monitoring to other players. In Alien for example (my whole family loves the movies) I've appointed people to watch the hive and hq, and someone to pay close attention to the objective, event, and hazard notes. Sometimes it's as simple as asking my fiance or sister to help my mom on her turns for a whole game, which sometimes means I need to concentrate on shutting up because my nature pushes me toward helping out any time she seems confused.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Impermanent posted:

This is very true. Don't be like me and let your first Terra Mystica experience be a two player test run to try the game out. It will feel like a slog.

What do you guys think about controlling a couple factions? Is there some way to make that work? Or have you guys tried the suggestions on BGG to cover part of the map? I really want to play this with some friends, but the only way it's going to be tolerable I think is if a few of us play it prior so I'm not the only one who knows the rules and realistically that's going to mean playing it 2p.

e:Does the expansion help 2p at all?

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 9, 2015

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Der Shovel posted:

He stormed off, vowing to never play with us again.

Oh man, if only getting rid of terrible players was always this easy/entertaining.

So far all I've had to deal with is Mr Narrates-His-Options-Out-Loud and Mr Never-Thinks-About-His-Turn-Before-It-Happens.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 9, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Not at all. It's unfortunate but the game really isn't designed as a 2P game, it runs into so many issues. 3P is almost as bad, 4P is playable, 5P is best because the game turns into an exciting land grab (as befits the theme of the game).

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

What do you guys think about controlling a couple factions? Is there some way to make that work? Or have you guys tried the suggestions on BGG to cover part of the map? I really want to play this with some friends, but the only way it's going to be tolerable I think is if a few of us play it prior so I'm not the only one who knows the rules and realistically that's going to mean playing it 2p.

You may be overestimating the issue this game will have with explanations. Because every race has a sweet little tableau a lot of rules begin to explain themselves, which makes it much easier to learn than other games of its type.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
There's nothing wrong at all learning the rules to the game 2 player. Just don't think that's the 4+ game will be anything like what you played.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

PerniciousKnid posted:

What's Tuscany Prima nevermind I looked it up, holy cow I think I'll hold off on the $60 expansion to a $40 game.

The metal coins are adding 15 bucks to the cost. Eventually I imagine a version will be available for less.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Tuscany has a huge number of bits, I'd say it's totally worth the extra money. It adds a ton more to the game just based on the shear number of games you would need to play to activate all the expansions.
E: Also, the metal coins are great. I realize it's a huge pile of money to just roll the dice on, but the metal coins are incredibly satisfying to play with.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I tend to learn games by soloing them, with me playing however many people is needed (though badly sometimes). I guess having two people for that could work, but it's rarely as enjoyable as the actual game I think.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Good news for all you colonials and rebels the Dungeon lords container has finished being taken apart and your almost going to get the games domestically shipped!

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Man alive I hope Tash Kalar is in that thing. Have had a coolstuff order stuck with that forever now

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Will the kickstarter add-on package of Dungeon Lords be sold seperately? I would like some of the new goodies and I missed the KS.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 9, 2015

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare

Rumda posted:

Good news for all you colonials and rebels the Dungeon lords container has finished being taken apart and your almost going to get the games domestically shipped!

I think it's worth reposting their status update here to see why things have been so horribly, horribly delayed:

CGE Kickstarter Update posted:

We hated to keep you guys in the dark, but we had very vague information about the customs check ourselves. Apparently our container was chosen to be thoroughly checked, as we informed you before. Little did we know was that thorough check means taking everything apart. And by everything we mean even the packages that were packed together like the game + t-shirt combos. So instead of more than a thousand packages we now have double the number, with half of the packages unmarked with the shipping address, due to the separation. Swell.

Anyway, we got (hopefully) everything to our US warehouse and now we are trying to put together everything together correctly. Which mean checking the size and type of T-shirt for each and every package :-/ We are sending the first couple of packages soon and hoping to have everything ready for shipping within 2 weeks.

We apologize for this enormous delay. What happened here was beyond our imagination.

:stonk:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Rule #1 of Kickstarter: No matter how good your preparations, US Customs will gently caress your poo poo up.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Seriously, doesn't that count as destroying goods somehow?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Anyone played the earlier editions of ESCAPE FROM THE ALIENS IN OUTER SPACE?

That game looks like a pretty good take on that idea we had bumping around like 3000 posts ago, with the "Alien" setting and the survivors trying to escape the station/colony.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Man alive I hope Tash Kalar is in that thing. Have had a coolstuff order stuck with that forever now

Speaking of, Everfrost and the upgrade pack both are showing in stock on CSI's website. With that and a couple other things I have a $55 hole to fill for free shipping. Is Fire in the Lake a good starter COIN? I know it's the only one with any stock left right now. I'm trying to decide between that and Terra Mystica. For reference my group lately has really enjoyed Eclipse and Tash-Kalar; we don't have a lot of wargame experience but we have played OGRE and I've enjoyed Twilight Struggle with one of the members in the group.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

FITL is good but the most complicated of the COIN series. If you can wait there's supposed to be a reprint of the series "sometime this year."

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
All the CGE stuff hit CSI today but Shipyard, Last Will and its expansion are sold out.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

BonHair posted:

Seriously, doesn't that count as destroying goods somehow?

If anyone is familiar with customs procedures please correct me, but I have a hunch the situation is being greatly exaggerated and they're just using customs as an easy scapegoat for their own fuckups.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

bobvonunheil posted:

Mr Narrates-His-Options-Out-Loud

I tend to do this for new games or games with players who haven't played that game before as a way of teaching them to analyze the game state. Hopefully they find it helpful instead of annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Chomp8645 posted:

If anyone is familiar with customs procedures please correct me, but I have a hunch the situation is being greatly exaggerated and they're just using customs as an easy scapegoat for their own fuckups.

Based on my experiences at airport security, I believe them. "We are randomly flagging your bag. Wow how carefully packed and squeezed in everything is, let me just pull everything out haphazardly and then walk away and you can spend 20 minutes repacking."