Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Other than the ugly exterior color (which is part of the charm) you can't go wrong. There's a you tube channel with a guy who explains a ton about these cars. His voice is annoying but the info is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ1H98k8dBM

Is this the dude you're talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

rscott posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ1H98k8dBM

Is this the dude you're talking about?

Yes. He's annoying but there's tons of useful hints. I have a tendency to mute and fast forward a lot of things.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Is the poo poo that he's peddling any good?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I know a few of his diesel specific tools and so on look decent but the rest? I don't own a Mercedes (yet).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

leica posted:

Which models are the W124? Basically, if I'm going to get a Merc wagon which ones are the absolute best?

As the very happy owner of a w124 wagon, anything that says "TE" on the back is going to be great. In the states we mostly got 300s, bit there's some 240s kicking around and I saw a 500 once but that's a unicorn.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Initial impressions after driving the car 250 miles home

Tach and Odo are broken, fuel gauge is ??? as I supposedly started with half a tank, drove 250 miles at 75-80mph for the most part and now I have like either an almost empty or a slightly less than 1/4 full tank of fuel left. The reserve light didn't come on but maybe it's burnt out? The light bulb that illuminates the tach side of the cluster is. Temperatures were around 90C or whatever a little bit below the middle is falling to 80c at idle, oil pressure is at 2(what unit is this? 10x psi?) at idle and pegs at 3 when driving around.

The idle is bad. Need to adjust that. The engine is...moist around the injection pump. Need to determine where the leak is and how much it leaksIt bucks horribly at idle, so I'm sure the motor mounts are shot or on their way out by now, that's a pretty high priority on my list. Headlights seem good, battery is newish, tires need replacing, brakes are good, although the pedal feel is totally different from my E30. Steering seems fine, again completely different feel from the E30, the wheel is pretty lolbig though. Need to play more with the climate control poo poo but the heat works, the AC probably needs recharging. Right rear window is hosed, it'll go down but you have to really jiggle the door just right to get it to come back up. Driver's side one works fine, passenger does not move, do not recall if the left rear window works. I guess the seat controls are busted? There's some missing poo poo on the front doors by the door handles, I'm guessing that's where they would be normally. The side mirrors kind of seem woefully small for the size of the car but I guess I'm used to driving something 4 foot shorter. Front map light is burnt out, driver side door doesn't really want to stay open. Central Locking works. I have like 4 keys for this thing, 2 for the ignition and two for the doors. Trunk is in nice shape, the rust all looks pretty much on the surface. Full size spare that looks to be in ok shape but I didn't look at the date code so who knows how old it is. One Dent/scratch in the left rear quarter panel that took some paint off, other than that the body seems pretty straight. Paint is obviously hosed, totally oxidized to death I think on the top and in varying shape everywhere else. Not really bothered by that, probably be the last thing I fix. Transmission shifting seems kind of harsh but I'm not sure how much of that is because of hinky vacuum related poo poo that I'm going to have to fix in the short/medium term or if the transmission needs a little TLC. Goes into all the gears just fine. There might be an exhaust leak somewhere, after I got home I had a huge headache, but that could be from 4 hours of squinting through my 13 year old backup glasses through the setting sun. Couldn't figure out how to get the windshield squirters to work, possibly out of fluid (didn't check because I am lazy and half assed this poo poo) or non-op. Wood trim is in pretty piss poor shape in some areas, fine in others. Back seat seems to be in great shape, passenger seat is in pretty nice shape, possibly stained, not sure if I have mb-tex or leather. Acceleration is interesting. From 0-15mph or so it's probably the slowest thing I've ever driven in my life, but once the boost kicks on it will actually move a bit. At highway speeds it's fine but I'm definitely going to have to change my driving habits a bit when pulling out into traffic from a stop.

Will post pictures tomorrow when it's light out since my phone battery was pretty shot and I forgot to take a car charger with me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

As the very happy owner of a w124 wagon, anything that says "TE" on the back is going to be great. In the states we mostly got 300s, bit there's some 240s kicking around and I saw a 500 once but that's a unicorn.

So what does the TE designation mean? I tried searching it but can't seem to come up with a definite answer for whatever reason.

Definitely going to be keeping an eye out, they look like fantastic wagons.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
TE is gasoline, TD is diesel IIRC

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

leica posted:

So what does the TE designation mean? I tried searching it but can't seem to come up with a definite answer for whatever reason.

Definitely going to be keeping an eye out, they look like fantastic wagons.

Transporter Einspritzer (fuel injected)

Fievel Goes Bi fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 6, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

rscott posted:

Initial impressions after driving the car 250 miles home

Tach and Odo are broken, fuel gauge is ??? as I supposedly started with half a tank, drove 250 miles at 75-80mph for the most part and now I have like either an almost empty or a slightly less than 1/4 full tank of fuel left. The reserve light didn't come on but maybe it's burnt out? The light bulb that illuminates the tach side of the cluster is. Temperatures were around 90C or whatever a little bit below the middle is falling to 80c at idle, oil pressure is at 2(what unit is this? 10x psi?) at idle and pegs at 3 when driving around.

The oil pressure is in bar.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
OK, I have some fuel leaks up near the injectors and I ran out of gas this morning and it was a royal bitch to get the thing started again so I'm guessing I have some fuel delivery issues in general. I took a bunch of pictures too http://imgur.com/a/9hfcU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
That thing looks beat to absolute poo poo.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Ah, it don't look so bad. A little TLC, new tires, pull the hail dents out, and the outside will be fine. The inside just needs a few mends here and there as well.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah that looks pretty par for course with a 30+ year old car. No rust and everything looks pretty straight at least.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Gunbus posted:

Transporter Einspritzer (fuel injected)

The T stands for Touring, not Transporter.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Ah, it don't look so bad. A little TLC, new tires, pull the hail dents out, and the outside will be fine. The inside just needs a few mends here and there as well.

Outside is probably the last thing I'll touch outside of a wash and the tires, if anything the beat up appearance will keep people out of my way :v:

Fievel Goes Bi
Dec 8, 2008

You Am I posted:

The T stands for Touring, not Transporter.

:doh: Working on to many Sprinters lately .

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Yes. He's annoying but there's tons of useful hints. I have a tendency to mute and fast forward a lot of things.

I'm relieved that I'm not the only one that feels this way. His advice and help are super good, but he comes across as a pompous old goat.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Looks like most of my power seat functions work on the driver's side, I have tilt and forward and back, not sure what the 3rd switch does. Only forward and back works on the passenger side. Also can't find the sunroof controls, where are those supposed to be?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

rscott posted:

Looks like most of my power seat functions work on the driver's side, I have tilt and forward and back, not sure what the 3rd switch does. Only forward and back works on the passenger side. Also can't find the sunroof controls, where are those supposed to be?

Probably center console for sunroof? Just taking a guess based on where the windows are.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
nah it's the one next to the rear map light switch but I guess it doesn't work, oh well.

e: the 2nd one from the left on the top row

rscott fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 7, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The third switch on your seat control will be either the seat back tilt (depending on if you have a lever on the seat bottom) or it's the lumbar support. Yours is a bit older than mine, but it's basically the same panel. You can get an entire panel with all the switches from a junkyard or online for not too much money, so the replacement isn't a big deal.

The sunroof, on the other hand, is going to be the very last thing you ever do on this car. And that's only if you want to bring it up to concourse condition. That's because the motors have burned out in the roof mechanism, which will entail replacement of not just the mechanism but the entire headliner and all the trim that touches the headliner. It's the sort of thing that the dealer does, or the specialized Mercedes guy if he's feeling masochistic, and it's going to be $4000.

Most of us are very happy with our inoperable sunroofs.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The third switch on your seat control will be either the seat back tilt (depending on if you have a lever on the seat bottom) or it's the lumbar support.

I think that era had the third lever controlling the headrest height.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I think that era had the third lever controlling the headrest height.

A possibility - mine has a button for that, but a multifunction bar for seat back and forth, height adjust, and bottom tilt. I also have 2 position memory. He seems to have a weird trim level on his car. For instance, it doesn't even have fully automatic climate control.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A possibility. He seems to have a weird trim level on his car. For instance, it doesn't even have fully automatic climate control.

:confused:

That looks like the auto climate control in the 500SEL I drove a few weeks ago.

That car is seriously :black101:. I'd leave the cosmetic stuff alone.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah that looks like the same automatic climate system in my 560SL. Normally you set the temp with the dial on the left, put the center button (down arrow) on, and then the center button between the fans on the right (it's kinda raised up). That will make it use the heater, AC, and fan speed to control the temperature automatically.

You can override stuff by pressing the EC (economy) button to do automatic climate control but not use the air conditioning (I usually use this because who needs AC in a convertible, and hell if I know it even works). There's also a defrost mode on the far left and defog to the right of that. O on the rightmost button is off. Then the fan buttons on the far right let you override the fan speed to fast or slow with the upper and lower fan buttons.

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Feb 7, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So here's mine. The fully automatic control includes and automatic fan speed setting, which you can see on the right. So you set your temperature, set the fan to auto, and the car just blows in enough heated or cooled air to make up the temperature differential, then dials itself back to where it needs to be.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I couldn't figure out how to get the head rests to raise and lower manually, so maybe that's it?

e: Ordered 2 cans of fuel system purge, some injector return hose, 5 glow plugs, a reamer and a vacuum line kit, that should send me on my way to getting this thing running more smoothly

rscott fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 8, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

rscott posted:

I couldn't figure out how to get the head rests to raise and lower manually, so maybe that's it?

e: Ordered 2 cans of fuel system purge, some injector return hose, 5 glow plugs, a reamer and a vacuum line kit, that should send me on my way to getting this thing running more smoothly

Also replace the filter. If it was sitting for a while the fuel tank could have built up quite a lot of sludge.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
OK like none of my climate control poo poo seems to work, but I figured out all my seat functions except for that drat headrest which I can't find a switch from but don't seem want to raise manually

The first 3 rod things are the switches for tilt, forward and back and another tilt function thingy, the place where that screw is there should be another rod sticking out which is broken off. I was able to prod the stub with a paperclip and that controls the lumbar tilt.

rscott fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 9, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Was at the auto expo yesterday and saw something y'all might appreciate:

Other than a few tiny rock chips in the paint it was mint.

Bonus shot of this wagon, I hear goons like these things:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The only way those wagons could be more ur-ai would be if they were also two seaters that cost 15k brand new and come only with a mantran.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

rscott posted:

OK like none of my climate control poo poo seems to work, but I figured out all my seat functions except for that drat headrest which I can't find a switch from but don't seem want to raise manually

The first 3 rod things are the switches for tilt, forward and back and another tilt function thingy, the place where that screw is there should be another rod sticking out which is broken off. I was able to prod the stub with a paperclip and that controls the lumbar tilt.

Do you mean the front or rear headrests.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
The front ones!

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
Hey whatever happened to our titular G55 guy?

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

the poi posted:

Hey whatever happened to our titular G55 guy?

He bought a Charger or some other domestic instead if I remember correctly.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Didn't he do something stupid and possibly illegal on his own dash cam video? I never saw it but I remember some posts.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
I think he posted dash cam footage wherein he nearly hit a pedestrian because he was driving like an rear end.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
yeah, he hasn't posted in a while. He was like the 300zx guy, because dreams and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer
awww, bummer.