Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
My interest in getting a Gus storyline is less about developing his backstory and more about watching Giancarlo Esposito be terrifying again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I watched this with my GF who has seen all of Breaking Bad, and two roommates who've never seen a single episode. Everyone loved it, but my GF and I were obviously more excited for seeing Mike & Tuco. The "reveal" at the end of the episode obviously doesn't carry any weight if you don't know who Tuco is. I love the show so far, and like most people in here I really hope it becomes it's own story with the occasional nod to BB rather than just a simple prequel.

Also I already feel like I need a rewatch. Apparently both Wendy and Jesse's father were in this episode?

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

TraderStav posted:

Frankly, I really hope they stay far away from Jesse and Walt. Their story was (extremely well) told and is done. Beefing up the backstory of some of our favorite side characters is great while we dive deep into Saul. Keep the mystery about Gus, but maybe have a few tiny bits of context thrown in for the careful viewer. Maybe a throw-away line about some up and coming drug lord or about a renegade Chilean general. I don't know. But keep it high level.

Yeah, I agree. Maybe a couple of very mild cameos from Walt/Jesse but that's it.

Also I'm doubtful we'll get more than one or two flash forwards a season, if that. I wouldn't be surprised if the one this episode is the only one we'll see until the series finale or something.

This is the ink spots song from the flash forward:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B00wg2o-SG4

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Hobo Clown posted:

Also I already feel like I need a rewatch. Apparently both Wendy and Jesse's father were in this episode?

Well if it's before she got all hosed up on drugs, she would have been nearly unrecognizable.

As for Jesse's dad, this is the actor: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0091480/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t16

I'll have to re-watch it and spot him.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

snodig posted:

I'll recognize this psychopath for the rest of my life. TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT!

Wait, those were Tuco's lines?

Because this might be nothing, but just before Jimmy/Saul came up to them, the skateboard brothers were reviewing footage and one of them was saying to make it "tighter." When everybody was echoing TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT in the thread, I actually thought I missed something with the brothers.

Kerrek
Dec 17, 2004
I know it's way too early to say, but pre-BB Tuco seems oddly restrained compared to his more manic behavior in Breaking Bad. Maybe he hasn't started dipping into the meth yet, and when he's clean he's more a silent murderous kingpin than the TIGHT TIGHT persona we know. I remember also, that actor said acting aggressive and predatory was actually rough for his emotional health, this could be a good turn for him.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Kerrek posted:

I know it's way too early to say, but pre-BB Tuco seems oddly restrained compared to his more manic behavior in Breaking Bad. Maybe he hasn't started dipping into the meth yet, and when he's clean he's more a silent murderous kingpin than the TIGHT TIGHT persona we know. I remember also, that actor said acting aggressive and predatory was actually rough for his emotional health, this could be a good turn for him.

We've seen him for all of 10 seconds. For all we know, those kids' brains are splattered across the living room in that house.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

DivisionPost posted:

Wait, those were Tuco's lines?

Because this might be nothing, but just before Jimmy/Saul came up to them, the skateboard brothers were reviewing footage and one of them was saying to make it "tighter." When everybody was echoing TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT in the thread, I actually thought I missed something with the brothers.

Nah he didn't say anything in this episode.

Kerrek posted:

Maybe we'll see his early involvement with the Juárez Cartel?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

snodig posted:

Nah he didn't say anything in this episode.

His expression sure did, drat.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

am i dumb for being worried that random breaking bad characters are going to make appearances rather then original characters in better call saul? i mean it's good seeing tuco again but it's on the verge of breaking your suspension of disbelief when you think that these two people have been involved with each other before. especially since it just so happened that the driver was tuco's mother or whatever

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I knew it was gonna happen and I still lost my poo poo.

As soon as the woman started calling for "mijo!" as she was walking to the front door, I thought "No, surely not..." and then it happened and, as you put it, I lost my poo poo.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

liquorsicc posted:

Am I the only one who didn't know who the guy with the gun at the end was? I haven't seen Tuco in like six years (I'd recognize his grill though) and I've been watching Weeds and I guess I muddled all those wild criminals Crazy Eight Tuco U-Turn Guillermo together a bit in my head.

Ding Chavez, poo poo Pushed In, Craziest drug dealer in Breaking Bad

ThePutty posted:

am i dumb for being worried that random breaking bad characters are going to make appearances rather then original characters in better call saul? i mean it's good seeing tuco again but it's on the verge of breaking your suspension of disbelief when you think that these two people have been involved with each other before. especially since it just so happened that the driver was tuco's mother or whatever

I live in Albuquerque, and if you don't think these shows have broken my suspension of disbelief beyond anything it can maintain as reality; while also finding it extremely entertaining, then I don't know what to tell you, man. This is a small town, and you run into people you don't want to run into again constantly. It's a nice way of expressing that, honestly.

Hell, Los Altos skatepark was a barren concrete bowl and pyramid pilot project that people wanted shut the gently caress down as soon as it was opened when I was a teenager, rather than the beautifully painted actual park it has become today. Los Altos skatepark was barren concrete in 2004 just like it was in 2000.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 9, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm hoping that the start of every better call saul episode will have a short post-BB Saul short

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kerrek posted:

I remember also, that actor said acting aggressive and predatory was actually rough for his emotional health, this could be a good turn for him.

It's always jarring to see Cruz as Tuco and then flip to him as Detective Sanchez on The Closer / Major Crimes.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

Hobo Clown posted:

Both of these are confirmed by imdb but I can't recall where either of them may have shown up.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

ThePutty posted:

I'm actually ok with it to a degree. While it seems unlikely that the skaters happened to randomly hit the aunt or mother of a major BB character, it works in context. Saul meets Tuco, Tuco's uncle works with Gus, Saul meets Gus. It isn't silly "small world" stuff with random cameos, but rather setting up why all these people know each other years later. It can still have it's own story without being a bunch of "Hey remember this guy??"

I'll start getting worried if Saul bumps into Walt at the grocery store or something dumb like that.

lifts cats over head posted:

Both of these are confirmed by imdb but I can't recall where either of them may have shown up.

The only thing I could think of was Jesse's dad being one of the people in the HHM boardroom, but I'd have to look again to see. Wendy I have no clue.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Gilligan and Gould probably ran through the whole cast of BB characters and categorized them as:

-Has definitely met Saul before BB (eg Mike, Emilio)
-Has definitely not met Saul before BB (eg Walt, Gus)
-Could go either way (eg Hank, Tuco)

I figure they went for Tuco because he's got the best shock value out of everyone in that third category, but I think they'll show restraint and avoid retconning in a bunch of encounters with Walt or whoever.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Gilligan and Gould probably ran through the whole cast of BB characters and categorized them as:

-Has definitely met Saul before BB (eg Mike, Emilio)
-Has definitely not met Saul before BB (eg Walt, Gus)
-Could go either way (eg Hank, Tuco)

Where does Jesse, Badger, and Skinny Pete fit in this?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Where does Jesse, Badger, and Skinny Pete fit in this?

has definitely

when Jesse talked to walt about needing a lawyer, he didn't want a criminal lawyer, he wanted a criminal lawyer

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Badger and Saul definitely never met before their episode.
IMO Jesse only talks like he knows about Saul, not like he's met him personally, but there's wiggle room there.
Skinny Pete could very well have met him before, nothing contradicting that.

But they're all in high school at the time of BCS.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

kaworu posted:

That whole opening sequence was of course amazing in Nebraska - I especially loved the wide-angle shot of the mall after Saul had emerged from his Cinnabon to place a lame graphic stand out, with the parquet floor reflecting into infinity between the chrome of the escalators. Perfectly evokes the empty flat wasteland of nothing that is both my experience of Nebraska as a place and what Saul's post-lawyer life appears to be.

Also: that's a Rusty Nail he makes for himself when he gets to his condo in Omaha - Scotch and Drambuie. A man's cocktail, to be sure.

There were so many great lines, too, that just crack me up in retrospect. Like "Near-honor students, all, your Honor!" I was a near-honor student, myself. Also this was mentioned somewhere but the sound design in the silence of that courtroom was amazing, from all the annoying little noises to the sound of the TV being wheeled over to the fact that they even got the high-pitched whining buzz you hear in silent rooms that have that awful flourescent lighting (like courtrooms!). They even got that onto the soundtrack, it's impressive. So many courtrooms don't look like actual courtrooms, too - that looks just like it did the one time I actually went to court to content a speeding ticket.

I work in a (admittedly fancier than most) courthouse, and I loved how even though it was a fictional court in another state, I recognized basically every detail there. It was absolutely amazing.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Frankly, I really hope they stay far away from Jesse and Walt. Their story was (extremely well) told and is done. Beefing up the backstory of some of our favorite side characters is great while we dive deep into Saul. Keep the mystery about Gus, but maybe have a few tiny bits of context thrown in for the careful viewer. Maybe a throw-away line about some up and coming drug lord or about a renegade Chilean general. I don't know. But keep it high level.

I'd rather get a lot more into Skinny Pete than Gus, TBH.

Truth. Jesse did mention that Saul got one of his buddies off some drug charge before, that's why they used him when Badger got picked up. I wouldn't expect Aaron Paul to be in a big scene or anything but maybe see his car or something in the parking lot one day, similar to driving by Walt's house in this episode. It would be super easy (and is honestly tempting) to pull too much poo poo over from BB, we just have to trust in the writing team that they understand how to handle their own material and don't mess with the already well resolved BB story.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Was anyone else really bracing themselves for the kid to die/get seriously injured after getting hit? I totally thought that's what would happen.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Yup. Good fakeout with the kids eyes being open when he was laying there. Then I expected the driver to be dead from a heart attack or something. Pleasantly surprised to be wrong on both counts.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

ThePutty posted:

No one can say. But given Vinces story telling techniques I don't think he's introducing Tuco or Mike without the intention of them serving the story of Saul.

Saul knew of Gus in BB. Gus knew Tuco and Mike.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

When Saul got Walt in touch with Gus, he didn't even know Gus' name or what he looked like.

If Gus were to appear on BCS, it'd be in scenes that Saul wouldn't be privy to.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO
http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Skinny_Pete
"Skinny Pete served time in prison with Tuco Salamanca and later introduced Jesse to the drug dealer." :ohdear:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
^^Yep. I'm just saying Tuco and Mike showing up probably means they are pivotal characters and it fits in with what we know already, without the details that are surely coming. I wish I could see this show without knowing BB, both Mike and Tuco probably seemed like such innocuous reveals.

As far as skinny Pete, Jesse knew of Saul ( you want a criminal lawyer! ) and I bet he shows up which is reason enough to make this show.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 9, 2015

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ThePutty posted:

you are being dumb because Jesse literally tells Walt that Saul has gotten Tuco and his Cousin out of many bad things so the connection was already there in Breaking Bad. It would be a bigger gaffe/mistake to not explore Saul's connection with the Cartel after his introduction in the main series.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Actually Jesse told Walt that Saul got Emilio (Crazy-8's cousin) off and Tuco was dead half a season before Saul was introduced.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RJWaters2 posted:

Actually Jesse told Walt that Saul got Emilio (Crazy-8's cousin) off and Tuco was dead half a season before Saul was introduced.

your right, i'm dumb :(

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

ThePutty posted:

Breaking Bad always had crazy coincidences coming together to gently caress people over. Wasn't Saul introduced after Tuco was gone in Breaking Bad?

I'm happy to see this show has turned out so well so far. I was actively hoping that it wouldn't happen when it was first announced fearing that it would tarnish Breaking Bad. I'm glad to see that my fear was unjustified.

Finally, is there any word on whether or not there will be a behind the scenes podcast for this show?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Supercar Gautier posted:

Badger and Saul definitely never met before their episode.
IMO Jesse only talks like he knows about Saul, not like he's met him personally, but there's wiggle room there.
Skinny Pete could very well have met him before, nothing contradicting that.

But they're all in high school at the time of BCS.

I'm assuming that BCS is starting in 2002 (courtroom video showed an October 2001 date stamp) and iirc BB starts in 2008, yeah?

sout
Apr 24, 2014

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I'm assuming that BCS is starting in 2002 (courtroom video showed an October 2001 date stamp) and iirc BB starts in 2008, yeah?

I think BB doesn't have a strict timeline, though maybe it originally was supposed to. Walt makes reference to Bin Laden's death when it should have still been a year away, but this was of course an oversight.
But yeah 2008 is about right I think

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The one thing I would love to see regarding the main BB cast would be a brief cameo of seeing Jesse as a student in Walt's class. Anything beyond a few nods and I agree, the BB story for the main cast is done and should stay done.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I'm so excited to see how he ends up on the name Saul Goodman

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

The one thing I would love to see regarding the main BB cast would be a brief cameo of seeing Jesse as a student in Walt's class. Anything beyond a few nods and I agree, the BB story for the main cast is done and should stay done.

Ehh, I don't even want to see that. Aaron Paul is 35 years old and would look a little weird playing a high school student.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

sout posted:

I think BB doesn't have a strict timeline, though maybe it originally was supposed to. Walt makes reference to Bin Laden's death when it should have still been a year away, but this was of course an oversight.
But yeah 2008 is about right I think

That was an acknowledged gaffe if I remember correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

echronorian posted:

I'm so excited to see how he ends up on the name Saul Goodman

He said once in BB that he changed it to get in good with the Jewish community. No idea if that's supposed to be true or not.

• Locked thread