Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

This works. Life hacks!

Yeah, the curling is entirely due to humidity. The rice acts as a desiccant and draws the moisture out, uncurling them.

Living in Louisiana, even my regular foils curl depending on the weather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zonekeeper posted:

Yeah, the curling is entirely due to humidity. The rice acts as a desiccant and draws the moisture out, uncurling them.

Living in Louisiana, even my regular foils curl depending on the weather.
Living in Michigan and now Minnesota, all of my foils invariably go full horseshoe unless I leave them under a book or put them under a >3" stack of regular cards. It's always so disappointing when someone has a thing I want, but only in foil because in addition to the awful curling issue, most of the time I just don't think foils look that good.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Why do people hate on Delver so much? It's not really a problem card, it doesn't even break the Top 10 of most played creatures in Modern.

It was at the center of a Tempo deck that ran the format like 3 years ago its time to let go of the hate, it's not even very good in Modern, and is downright relatively fair in Legacy.

We are all sockpuppets of Maro, and getting a 3-power attacker for 1 is very unblue.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

How many high level results did a Delver list post before treasure cruise?

It happened once recently IIRC, Prauge 2014. I thought some Jeskai Delver list might have done something but I can't find it. So, one time it made a significant Top 8, maybe 2?

It was firmly tier 2-1.5 without treasure cruise, that's not exactly the hallmark of a broken and oppressive card but its one of those cards like Mana Leak that make players super butthurt and they never stop raging about.

EDIT: It showed up in Turin, and in Columbus, and then gone in Lyon, Chicago, Toronto, basically everything until Prague and then Treasure cruise. Never seen at a Pro Tour.

So really without Treasure Cruise Delver has barely been around compared to other archetypes. It's won a single GP, appeared in 2 more? To put it in Perspective, Eggs, which was only legal briefly, won a GP and Pro Tour, compared to other real problematic cards like Deathrite Shaman, and Bloodbraid Elf the little Delver looks tame.

Delver didn't post those results because of Delver. It posted those results because of all the other great blue cards that facilitate the deck.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mcmagic posted:

Delver didn't post those results because of Delver. It posted those results because of all the other great blue cards that facilitate the deck.

Yea Delve focus itself is nearly meaningless unless you have, ya know, poo poo to use that helps you Delve up poo poo to pay.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea Delve focus itself is nearly meaningless unless you have, ya know, poo poo to use that helps you Delve up poo poo to pay.

Delve!=Delver

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Madmarker posted:

Delve!=Delver

Yep I'm an idiot, still I stand by my feelings on Delve that are unrelated to this topic!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Living in Seattle is kinda awesome for MTG. There are an insane amount of PPTQs firing off nearly every weekend. A slight problem with this, that I have noticed, is that there are a ton of stores who have never run anything more than a PR or FNM doing Competitive REL tournaments for this.

I don't know how Wizards helps facilitate running these, but it seems severely lacking. The level of preparedness for a tournament I experienced on Sunday really turned me off from doing any of these at anything other than established gaming stores.

Fortunately, we have a lot. I feel for people who don't have another game store to go to, if they're always ran terribly.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yep I'm an idiot, still I stand by my feelings on Delve that are unrelated to this topic!

In standard, maybe you need explicit enablers, but in eternal formats and you don't need enablers to make Delve good. The "enablers" in eternal formats are cards you would want to play anyway: cheap spells and fetchlands.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

En Fuego posted:

Living in Seattle is kinda awesome for MTG. There are an insane amount of PPTQs firing off nearly every weekend. A slight problem with this, that I have noticed, is that there are a ton of stores who have never run anything more than a PR or FNM doing Competitive REL tournaments for this.

I don't know how Wizards helps facilitate running these, but it seems severely lacking. The level of preparedness for a tournament I experienced on Sunday really turned me off from doing any of these at anything other than established gaming stores.

Fortunately, we have a lot. I feel for people who don't have another game store to go to, if they're always ran terribly.

The flip side of this being, there are a zillion happening every week but the volume hasn't changed the fact that they're all Standard or Sealed.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Cactrot posted:

The flip side of this being, there are a zillion happening every week but the volume hasn't changed the fact that they're all Standard or Sealed.

Well, other than Modern I am not sure what else they could run.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

En Fuego posted:

Well, other than Modern I am not sure what else they could run.

Modern is the format I'd most like to play, but they have the option of running Draft as well. Though I think only a few stores have the experienced staff/judges needed to run a competitive draft.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

suicidesteve posted:

Extensive testing on my part has shown that Pyro in BUG Delver is much worse than Delver itself. For example, I've never played a turn 1 Pyro and attacked someone to death without casting another non-reactive spell. And you usually can't even cast it, geez.

I know you're technicaly right and all, and just being humorous, but I've seen a BUG delver list splashing red before :v:

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Cactrot posted:

Modern is the format I'd most like to play, but they have the option of running Draft as well. Though I think only a few stores have the experienced staff/judges needed to run a competitive draft.

Aren't Sealed and Draft part of the same competitive events? Swiss sealed, top 8 draft? Otherwise you'd have to jump straight from 6 rounds to 9 rounds and you'd probably have a bunch of pods with fewer or more than 8 people.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Aren't Sealed and Draft part of the same competitive events? Swiss sealed, top 8 draft? Otherwise you'd have to jump straight from 6 rounds to 9 rounds and you'd probably have a bunch of pods with fewer or more than 8 people.

Only for events that are above FNM level, like GPT's or GP's or PTQ's. Things hosted at a local store outside of that framework tend to be either sealed or draft.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Cactrot posted:

Modern feels like the worst constructed format right now...

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mcmagic posted:

Modern feels like the worst constructed format right now...

Because of the Pro Tour? I don't really look to that for a view of what's hot right now. The modern meta is much wider than what was represented there, the PT seemed to be very slanted towards a certain expected meta.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Cactrot posted:

Because of the Pro Tour? I don't really look to that for a view of what's hot right now. The modern meta is much wider than what was represented there, the PT seemed to be very slanted towards a certain expected meta.

Any format where Siege Rhino exists in a tier 1 deck is a bad format by default. Because seriously gently caress Siege Rhino, it is everything I dislike about modern current magic wrapped up into one card.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Cactrot posted:

I really get the feeling that decks other than Twin, Burn and Abzan are just bad. I've messed around with Domain Zoo but it's an uphill battle.

Madmarker posted:

Any format where Siege Rhino exists in a tier 1 deck is a bad format by default. Because seriously gently caress Siege Rhino, it is everything I dislike about modern current magic wrapped up into one card.

This is a really good standard format. Even with Rhino.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Abzan is just favored highly in modern right now solely on the fact that it's full of value creatures and that LotV isn't held down by a 1 mana draw three. It'll diversify in a little bit.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MaRo's Tumblr posted:

Question posted:

I know it's been answered before, but how much time is between the end of design and release?
Usually about sixteen months.

drat, that's a long time. Although it's "the end of design", and development probably doesn't happen in a week, but still, dang.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Lars birch did really well with domain zoo. Did you see the results for just modern?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Don't you guys ever get tired of getting trolled by mcmagic?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Madmarker posted:

Nothing was worse than Thragtusk/Resto/Rites decks of 2 years ago. Just mind numbing to play against.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Madmarker posted:

Because seriously gently caress Siege Rhino, it is everything I dislike about modern current magic wrapped up into one card.
Then maybe you can explain all the loving vitriol for this card because I've played it, I've played against it, and I don't see what the big deal is over it. I mean sure, it's good, being aggressively costed and having a free 3 point drain tacked on, but it doesn't have any evasion and is easily done in by all of the common white/black removal so it's not like you just drop it and win unless your opponent is in bolt range.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

Then maybe you can explain all the loving vitriol for this card because I've played it, I've played against it, and I don't see what the big deal is over it. I mean sure, it's good, being aggressively costed and having a free 3 point drain tacked on, but it doesn't have any evasion and is easily done in by all of the common white/black removal so it's not like you just drop it and win unless your opponent is in bolt range.

It's a really good card with tons of value attached that shows up in a lot of really good decks with tons of value within them. Or basically people hate dominate decks.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yawgmoth posted:

It has trample, dude. So, it isn't like token/weenie decks can chump it for days until they get their winning set up.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yawgmoth posted:

It's in the best deck and also some people feel that Magic is trending towards midrange and are very vocal in disliking that.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

It's a really good card so you throw it in the deck with all the other really good cards and you have a really good deck.

If you've heard people complain about Jund (or Naya) at any point in the last six years, the current complaints about Junk are pretty much the same, and Siege Rhino is their figurehead.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Just be happy Restoration Angel doesn't exist in this Standard.

I'd actually love to go back and look at all the years of Standard where people bitched about <Dominant Creature Name Here> all the time.

Once Siege Rhino rotates, it will be some other card, and then some other card.

Time is a flat circle, basically.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Gyshall posted:

Just be happy Restoration Angel doesn't exist in this Standard.

I'd actually love to go back and look at all the years of Standard where people bitched about <Dominant Creature Name Here> all the time.

Once Siege Rhino rotates, it will be some other card, and then some other card.

Time is a flat circle, basically.

Sphinx's Revelation, Thragtusk, Delver of Secrets, Jace the Mind Sculpter / Stoneforge Mystic,... since I came back to the game there's always been something.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Arcbound ravager/disciple of the vault, loxodon hierarch, dark confidant, grave-shell scarab.

I'm coming up blank for time spiral, maybe brine elemental?

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
As someone who's played Sligh a bit and current maybe running RW aggro, at least to local store standard events tonight and tomorrow; Siege Rhino is frustrating, but its the perfect storm combination of it, and caryatid/courser and drown in sorrow that makes it so hard to fight through. I also dislike it having an extra point of toughness because its out of Stoke the Flames range. Ick. At least I have Chained to the Rocks and Valorous Stance in White.

Once the backup package rotates I think it won't be as obnoxious in standard, hopefully. I still have a somewhat irrational distaste for the card since it's what killed Pod in my mind, and I liked Pod. :(:

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 9, 2015

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Rimusutera posted:

As someone who's played Sligh a bit and current maybe running RW aggro, at least to local store standard events tonight and tomorrow; Siege Rhino is frustrating, but its the perfect storm combination of it, and caryatid/courser and drown in sorrow that makes it so hard to fight through. I also dislike it having an extra point of toughness because its out of Stoke the Flames range. Ick.

Once the backup package rotates I think it won't be as obnoxious in standard, hopefully. I still have a somewhat irrational distaste for the card since it's what killed Pod in my mind, and I liked Pod. :(:

Hushwing Gryff will rotate out before Siege Rhino. :cry:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Cactrot posted:

Hushwing Gryff will rotate out before Siege Rhino. :cry:

That's some fresh hell to mull over.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Oh gently caress. I forgot about that. gently caress me.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I fully expect that Wizards already has a counter for Siege Rhino prepared and ready to drop in Dragons/Origins.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Molybdenum posted:

Lars birch did really well with domain zoo. Did you see the results for just modern?

Yeah I did see it. Looks interesting but I don't have the Higharcs and I don't feel like buying them right before they are reprinted in MM 2015.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I do hope so. It also better be playable in RWx :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
As a U/B control player, are my only options for dealing with Rakshasa Deathdealer and Fleecemane Lion Perilous Vault and an early Bile Blight ? I feel dead against them in the late game, and 1 for 1ing myself with 9 mana worth of Perilous Vault seems like something I should try not to do.

• Locked thread