Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Probably something Japanese or Chinese.
Dororo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

GO! MISS MARPLE!

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

What about Ulysses/Odysseus as someone's main Persona? Not a thief character per se, but certainly stole some things and is enough of a quick talking smooth walking cool guy to fit on a heist.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

ImpAtom posted:

Jean Valjean on a J-pop rocker character. Make it happen, Atlus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF5a1xJtPIo

And the cat's persona needs to be the Pink Panther.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Harrow posted:

Prometheus would be great. I'm not sure how willing they are to repeat party member Personas, though, and Prometheus was Baofu's ultimate Persona in Eternal Punishment.

Jun had Hermes as his starter Persona in P2 and then Junpei had the same as his starter in P3. They're totally fine with repeating.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Robin Hood and Goemon would work.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Morgana's persona is obviously Doraemon

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

The Grinch.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Mario and Link personas.

Wait, it's a PS4 game. Crash Bandicoot and Nathan Drake.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

So he'll acquire one shiny trophy every ten years or so? Pfft, some master thief.

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
Carmen Sandiego.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
If we're going with french literary characters, then give me the Musketeers.

projecthalaxy posted:

What about Ulysses/Odysseus as someone's main Persona? Not a thief character per se, but certainly stole some things and is enough of a quick talking smooth walking cool guy to fit on a heist.

Baofu starts with Odysseus and has Prometheus as his ultimate. He's a shady dude who taps people's phone lines and blackmails them, all in hsi pursuit of vengeance against the Taiwanese mafia. Baofu's cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm not sure what they mean in that article when they say the sound the characters make when they summon their Personas will be a "buchi!" instead of a "ka!" and why that's important enough it needs to go in the reveal article. Maybe I'm missing how that's a big tonal shift or something?

MarsDragon posted:

Jun had Hermes as his starter Persona in P2 and then Junpei had the same as his starter in P3. They're totally fine with repeating.

Ah, that's right, I forgot. Then if they're going for a legendary/mythical thief motif, Prometheus had better show up.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Harrow posted:

I'm not sure what they mean in that article when they say the sound the characters make when they summon their Personas will be a "buchi!" instead of a "ka!" and why that's important enough it needs to go in the reveal article. Maybe I'm missing how that's a big tonal shift or something?

Ah, that's right, I forgot. Then if they're going for a legendary/mythical thief motif, Prometheus had better show up.

"Ka" is like, bursting with energy or the clicking of a gun. "Buchi" is like something being torn apart.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 9, 2015

SmellOfPetroleum
Jan 6, 2013

Unmature posted:

Wait, it's a PS4 game. Crash Bandicoot and Nathan Drake.

Sly Cooper

The Fantastic Mr Fox

George Clooney

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To translate that into English,

"The sound will be less of a 'crackle' and more of a 'rrriiip.'"

More violent and less desirable, basically. Think about how Adachi and Strega summoned their personas.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

TurnipFritter posted:

"Ka" is like, bursting with energy or the clicking of a gun. "Buchi" is like something being torn apart.

Endorph posted:

To translate that into English,

"The sound will be less of a 'crackle' and more of a 'rrriiip.'"

More violent and less desirable, basically. Think about how Adachi and Strega summoned their personas.

Aha, okay. That makes perfect sense to me now. Less of the P3/4 "glass shattering" thing.

Interesting.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Could it be more like "zipper opening"?

- Wait, this is not Mara...

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Less of a BFFKSHH, more like a KCCHING

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

I for one hope for PEW PEW DLC.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Obviously the cat will summon the girls from Cat's Eye. poo poo, can someone get Cobra as a persona?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
This can't possibly be right...... can it?

http://www.rakuten.co.uk/shop/shopto/product/PS4PE10/

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Yeah, this

quote:

with this fifth game in the popular Shin Megami Tensei franchise
is bullshit on many levels.

And the release date too, I guess.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

No way in hell is that right.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
Nah, that's just a placeholder. That's the last Friday of Q1 and games tend to come out on Friday's over there.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's going to be later than June because that's when Dancing All Night comes out and it has a preview disc for 5 on it.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

with this fifth game in the popular Shin Megami Tensei franchise

Whoa, Persona 5 is also SMT 5, confirmed!!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Oh, Persona 5 properly announced at last. Wonderful. Trailer was pretty great. Glad the cat seems to be a playable character but I hope there's a dog too. I always like the more fantastical characters. Koromaru was the best. Oh forget it, just bring Koromaru back. Plus I wanna see how a dog shoots a gun.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
If there was a dog character, they wouldn't have a gun at all. After all, Morgana got shafted and stuck with a slingshot and she can transform to use a proper gun.

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

Nah, that's just a placeholder. That's the last Friday of Q1 and games tend to come out on Friday's over there.

It's also complete bullshit for that and all; Europe doesn't even have a confirmed release, never mind anything necessitating a placeholder date.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Dragonatrix posted:

If there was a dog character, they wouldn't have a gun at all. After all, Morgana got shafted and stuck with a slingshot and she can transform to use a proper gun.

Maybe she chose to use a skillful, silent slingshot over a brutish gun, way to participate in cat erasure, speciesist.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

I suspect the main characters will all have criminal-themed Personas, so there's not a likelihood of a lot of detectives showing up. We could get the Scarlet Pimpernel, Fantomas, Moriarty...what other famous fictional thieves are there? Probably something Japanese or Chinese. Prometheus was mentioned and would fit quite well.

Ishikawa Goemon.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I suspect the main characters will all have criminal-themed Personas, so there's not a likelihood of a lot of detectives showing up. We could get the Scarlet Pimpernel, Fantomas, Moriarty...what other famous fictional thieves are there? Probably something Japanese or Chinese. Prometheus was mentioned and would fit quite well.

Fantômas could be an interesting ultimate Persona for the main character, though that would suggest a different sort of development than Persona main characters usually get. He starts with Arsène, the gentleman thief who draws the line at committing murder. Fantômas, meanwhile, has no qualms about killing, and actually seems to enjoy it. Making the main character's ultimate Persona Fantômas would suggest the gloves coming off, things getting serious--he's willing to go a lot farther for his goals.

Another way to go about it would be to give Fantômas as a Persona to the main character's foil.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The main character's ultimate Persona is Arsène the 3rd.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

P5's soundtrack is acid jazz, more information about the cast, the school, and other stuff coming in this week's issue of Famitsu.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

No clue what acid jazz is but it sounds awesome so I'm game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jazz with some disco/funk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0odQiWobtWM&t=130s

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
J-Jazz

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Policenaut posted:

P5's soundtrack is acid jazz, more information about the cast, the school, and other stuff coming in this week's issue of Famitsu.

I'm really looking forward to this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Policenaut posted:

Every new little piece of information makes this game sound better and better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
Oh so that's what acid jazz is. Like over a decade ago when I applied to be a DJ on the local college radio station I said I would play "acid jazz" on my show because I heard the word somewhere and thought it sounded cool without knowing what it was.

Megami Tensei Megathread -- This time all the students are acid jazzy