Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I've literally never played as Zant, Ghirahim, or Agatha and I've owned the game since release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Calaveron posted:

I've literally never played as Zant, Ghirahim, or Agatha and I've owned the game since release

That's a bummer, because Zant and Ghirahim are super fun to use.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Oh my God the notification spam in this game.

Last night I failed Lana's level 2 summoning gate unlock and after I lost the base and everyone stopped in place it took another 20-30 seconds for the fail message to appear because so many notifications about special enemies and fleeing allies and stuff were queued up.

I beat the mission with a B on the next run, no thanks to Cia who decided to charge out of our base to attack the enemy base while the rogue faction was busy having an orgy in it

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

BlueOccamy posted:

As for the most/least favorite characters, my favorite is Twili Midna and least favorite is tied between Ghirahim and Zant. Ghirahim especially pisses me off because his weak attacks start teleporting him all over the goddamn so when I try to dodge attacks I end up dodging -into- them instead because whoops I was suddenly over there! Thank goodness I can leave their squares til my husband gets home and can be my player 2 to murderzerg whatever it is I'd been having trouble with. Though Zant is getting a bit easier to understand. Agitha's C2 is amazing for officer juggling and I like just hopping on the butterfly and immediately divebombing the ground for clearing trash, so she's now in the "don't like her but I don't need a player 2" category.

Here's the thing with Ghirahim: unless you're intending to do C5 (the rising falling floor slam thing) to clear a keep or a group of weak enemies, you should basically never go any further than the third weak hit in his normal combo string (I believe that's the second set of knives he summons). You can either control your button presses or just time a dodge before you get to the teleporting slashing point of the combo.

Besides avoiding the latter portion of his weak string, Ghirahim plays somewhat normally until you get used to using his Strong Attack lock-on function, which turns his C2 and his C4-2 (the swords coming out of the ground) from ok moves to a couple of the best moves in the game. Both of those make big damaging orange blades that hit the locked on enemy regardless of its position, and since most enemies don't block if they're past a certain distance away, you can often guarantee they'll be hit by it. The locked-on C2 also launches the enemy towards Ghirahim, generally allowing you to combo into a few parts of the weak string and occasionally all the way into C4-2 or C5.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Ghirahim's C4 is great for crowd clearing if you can get the enemies wedged into a door, a gate, or a narrow hallway, and this comes up surprisingly often. I actually rarely use his C5, since I like to keep at the edge of large groups to avoid being surrounded.

Just never, ever do the Summon Dance at the end of his C4, it might be the worst move in the entire game.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Alacron posted:

Ghirahim's C4 is great for crowd clearing if you can get the enemies wedged into a door, a gate, or a narrow hallway, and this comes up surprisingly often. I actually rarely use his C5, since I like to keep at the edge of large groups to avoid being surrounded.

Just never, ever do the Summon Dance at the end of his C4, it might be the worst move in the entire game.

Not entirely true. I think the moblins explode or something after a short distance, because I once saw one kill a captain from half health.

Also you get style points for using the summon dance. :colbert:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do I even want Hasty Attacks on a summoning gate? From what I could tell it speeds up ALL summons, which makes some have a shorter duration and thus worse.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Man I dont know why but seeing Dark Darknut makes me giggle like an idiot everytime.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Whoa - Yoshi just gave me a 5-star true goddess blade...I haven't seen anything over 3-stars from him before...wonder if something changed

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Haruharuharuko posted:

Man I dont know why but seeing Dark Darknut makes me giggle like an idiot everytime.

I'm very passionate about the Level of Zelda franchise. The original was one of the first video games I played extensively and I played pretty much every game in the series not long after they came out (even going to an electronics place to play their CDI kiosk of Wand of Gamelon repeatedly like an idiot). And I can say, with confidence, that having enemies in the game since the beginning named Darknuts is still basically one of the best things about the franchise. :3:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm very passionate about the Level of Zelda franchise. The original was one of the first video games I played extensively and I played pretty much every game in the series not long after they came out (even going to an electronics place to play their CDI kiosk of Wand of Gamelon repeatedly like an idiot). And I can say, with confidence, that having enemies in the game since the beginning named Darknuts is still basically one of the best things about the franchise. :3:

What was the intended original name? Dark Knights? It is kinda charming how Nintendo embraces their engrish origins, seeing them use their sillier quotes in newer games, like it is a secret to everybody or it's dangerous to go alone, take this

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Calaveron posted:

What was the intended original name? Dark Knights? It is kinda charming how Nintendo embraces their engrish origins, seeing them use their sillier quotes in newer games, like it is a secret to everybody or it's dangerous to go alone, take this

Almost definitely. In the Japanese manual they're given the name "Tartnuc" in English text as well as in hiragana. Like with "Varia" in Metroid originally being meant to be "Barrier" though, "Da" and "Ta" can be pretty similar in Japanese, the characters themselves are very close too. I also like how Nintendo just rolls with some things. Could they have possibly meant for it to sound like Dark Knuckle? In Zelda II the heavily armored knight is replaced with a similar enemy called Iron Knuckle. Though some later games have both as separate enemies. :)

Other Zelda enemy trivia:

Moblins were originally called Molblins even in official merchandise in English, but I think by the time of even Zelda II they became Moblins.

In the Japanese Zelda I manual Manhandla is named Testitart. Look at how the "blossoms" on it look when they're closed. A plant/crab hybrid boss that predates infamous "let's put a giant nutsack on a spider" Gonarch boss in Half-Life by many years. :3:

http://legendsoflocalization.com/the-legend-of-zelda/

I think everyone in this thread would appreciate this site a lot if they haven't seen it. It's also interesting to see the musical differences. Zelda I didn't actually come out on a cartridge in Japan until 1994, so Japanese players are much more familiar with the Famicom Disk System version. This is interesting because in Link to the Past and up, even though they're cartridge and CD games, the reason some things sound "tinnier" or lighter than on the two NES games (the "you found a secret" jingle especially) is because they're using the FDS game as a reference.

More appropriate for this thread, the 8-bit theme for Hyrule Warriors' adventure mode, the style of synth sounds off from the NES game because it's based on the FDS music. I love hearing the Twilight Princess overworld music in this style, shame the map is so hard though. :(
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXchrhR_MLg

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 9, 2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Pretty disappointed in Young Link. It feels like they should have just had him be FD and called it a day if they weren't going to bother implementing the other forms/masks.

Tingle however, is insanely cool.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I did a Network Link on the Termina map on a level I hadn't beat yet and the A Rank got stamped onto the level and it unlocked the adjacent square. I'm guessing that's not intended but I'll take it.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Jibo posted:

I did a Network Link on the Termina map on a level I hadn't beat yet and the A Rank got stamped onto the level and it unlocked the adjacent square. I'm guessing that's not intended but I'll take it.

Network Links will always do this. You won't get the level reward though.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

:catstare: Holy poo poo Zant is glorious.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

SubNat posted:

:catstare: Holy poo poo Zant is glorious.

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I can't not love playing him, he's just having so much fun :3:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Do 'Defeat All The Giant Bosses' maps have a lower material drop rate? I'm trying to grind out Gohma mats and I keep getting weapon drops, even with a Materials+ on my weapon.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Oh my yes, I am liking this new Zant a lot. I can't describe how to feels to be able to kill a giant boss in one go as him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So what did they buff on Zant?

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

jivjov posted:

Do 'Defeat All The Giant Bosses' maps have a lower material drop rate? I'm trying to grind out Gohma mats and I keep getting weapon drops, even with a Materials+ on my weapon.

Probably, seems like a decision they'd make.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

ImpAtom posted:

So what did they buff on Zant?

Everything.

His C2 breaks boss weakness gauges, his crazy bullets are actually worth using, more invincibility during his finishers, you can dodge out of the loving wallmaster slam and his weak point smash is now tied for the best in the game with Ganondorf/Gauntlet Link etc in terms of damage.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

jivjov posted:

Sure feels like it.
I've had way better luck with boss mats on Kill X enemies in Y min missions, since some of them can spawn 2-3 bosses, as well as some heroes.

I just got a manhandla sapling/sprout from one of them, atleast.
While I only got weapons the 3 times I ran through the kill 2 Gohmas mission.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is the Link Amiibo a one time use thing for the weapon? I have no interest in amiibos at all but if I could use my friend's link one to unlock the spinner that'd be cool. I just don't want to do it then gently caress them over if they decide to get the game down the line.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Using your friend's amiibo won't " use it up" or anything.
There's no copy protection built into the things, you could use a single amiibo to unlock a thousand spinners.

So go ahead and borrow it.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

BlueOccamy posted:

Oh, and my husband and I got the rupee glitch the other night so we bumped everyone up to at least level 100 and took a buncha skills off weapons that we otherwise really want to use and it was great :D

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Wait, Rupee glitch? I haven't heard of it.

Yeah, what's the deal with that? I tried looking around using Google and all I'm getting is "Play the adventure map where you fight two Gohmas as Lana and maybe you'll leave with 99 mil rupees." That narrows it down a bit, but I need more details!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

liquidypoo posted:

Yeah, what's the deal with that? I tried looking around using Google and all I'm getting is "Play the adventure map where you fight two Gohmas as Lana and maybe you'll leave with 99 mil rupees." That narrows it down a bit, but I need more details!

I've been playing that map solely to grind Ghoma Acids and I haven't seen anything like that.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

SubNat posted:

Using your friend's amiibo won't " use it up" or anything.
There's no copy protection built into the things, you could use a single amiibo to unlock a thousand spinners.

So go ahead and borrow it.

I'm in the same situation. how often can you use it in succession? I'm assuming that the spinner also has a * rating and you have to grind it out until you can get a 5* version?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Kin posted:

I'm in the same situation. how often can you use it in succession? I'm assuming that the spinner also has a * rating and you have to grind it out until you can get a 5* version?

Once per day.

Once you unlock the Spinner though it shows up as a random drop like normal weapons, albeit all three tiers are automatocally unlocked like Epona/Dominion Rod/the DLC chars. And the Link Amiibo just gives you a random Link weapon after the initial unlock, mine has never given me a Spinner after the basic one. They do tend to skew higher stars/tier than the generic Amiibos which just give you either any random weapon or some amount of ruppees between 1 and 50k.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kin posted:

Pretty sure you could use it a million times, as long as you're using a different Wii U every time. They're not saving anything to the amiibo, they're just saying "Here's the chip" and altering your save data by giving you the prize. You can tap each amiibo once per day to your game, and then once per day to any other game, if you have a neighborhood filled with a hundred Wii Us or something (if so, please tell me if there is a vacant apartment).

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
You can only do five total Amiibos per day, just as a note if you have a bunch of them.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Echophonic posted:

You can only do five total Amiibos per day, just as a note if you have a bunch of them.

Yes, I forgot to mention that. I only have 5 so I forget.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

liquidypoo posted:

He looked it up while I went hog-wild spending it all, consensus is "It's super rare and no one knows how to trigger it" :iiam:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Steelion posted:

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I can't not love playing him, he's just having so much fun :3:

All he needed was that little boost of power to be my favorite character. He's so nutty; the way he opens chests, his "YOU!" when you activate focus attack, laying down for a nap by bending 90 degrees at the knees... I almost want to play Skyward Sword, now.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

enojy posted:

All he needed was that little boost of power to be my favorite character. He's so nutty; the way he opens chests, his "YOU!" when you activate focus attack, laying down for a nap by bending 90 degrees at the knees... I almost want to play Skyward Sword, now.

Skyward Sword is a good game, but Zant's from Twilight Princess.

Skyward Sword gave us Fi and Ghiriham. Also the best Zelda and Groose.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Zant is really bland and bad in TP actually. He spends most of the game just being a generic smug villain that taunts you a few times. He only goes absolutely crazy in his final encounter, which admittedly leads to a really cool fight, but it comes out of nowhere and is so ridiculous. Its not like in Hyrule Warriors where he tries to sell himself as being regal and composed but you can tell he's really bad at faking it. In TP he just turns into a completely different character.

He's really cool in HW though which I wasn't expecting. Only way he could be better is if the Circus Leader's mask had its tear effect.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, I like Twilight Princess, but Zant is kind of a bland villain, whereas Ghirahim has the full David Bowie flavor right away, and in his combat, and is an enjoyable bad guy.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Skyward Sword becomes x10000 times better if you homebrew out Fi's constant useless tutorials and her stupid jingle sound. Ghirahim is a bright spot in the game though, hilariously fabulous dude with an excellently designed boss fight

I'd say he had one of my favorite skill sets in Warriors. I mean, Twili Midna and Young Link are better shitwreckers, but I'd say demon David Bowie is one of the most creative/balanced/well thought out sets. He has range, close quarters and the tether thing is pretty nice to play with. He does requires some skill in terms of dodge canceling and tether management, but it seems like just the right amount of finesse needed. I have no idea how to word this better

tldr; Ghirahim is pretty great in both games

Arbitrary Coin fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 10, 2015

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Even with a level135ish Agitha with a 5 star, 8 slot Princess Parasol with Hasty Attacks, Legendary, and a bunch of the Strength# skills, that one Termina Map level of hers with the Giant reward card still took me 16:30 or so. Granted, I wasted a bit of time looking for the chest with her piece of heart in it, but with that setup I would have thought I'd do damage to things way faster than I did.

On the plus side, I'm fairly close to the Dark Ruler of the Termina Map with something like 40 hours still in the bank, so I'm under no threat of the map resetting. Also, I just did a Rupee Competition with Ruto to get an Ice Arrow with the Rupee Festival potion active and Rupees+ on her weapon and beat the enemies something like 72,400 to 4000. I drowned them in rupees and water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I finally got to the giant in the swamp area, but now I need a Goron mask to make the enemies appear. Trying to go towards Snowpoint requires another Goron mask, so guess I have to unlock Great Bay or Ikana Canyon to see what I can find there.

I tried using a Rupee Festival potion in the rupee contest and it seems like if you do, that's the limit. Getting a Rupee Fairy doesn't seem to increase your Rupees any further, so I guess the strategy for the most Rupees is to use Rupee Festival, go after the captains, and just ignore the fairy hunters. The rogue forces will get boosts from claiming the Rupee Fairies but it doesn't really matter since you'll still get more.

• Locked thread