Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Rumor mill: Constantine to SyFy, will change name to Hellblazer.

John Diggle "in talks" to "possibly" become John Stewart/Green Lantern, according to actor who plays him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

twistedmentat posted:

Our national sport is actually Lacrosse.

Yea, but you won't see anyone burning down their city if their team loses in the Stanley Cup final.

As for Arrow, it has slowed down a lot since last season, but that mid-season finale was awesome sauce, thank you very much.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

ToastyPotato posted:

Fingers crossed.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

ToastyPotato posted:

John Diggle "in talks" to "possibly" become John Stewart/Green Lantern, according to actor who plays him.

First thing would be really, really great. Second thing sounds really unbelievable. I mean, its the running joke of the Arrow-thread, and I would love it to happen, but it seems pretty far fetched.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I also think it unlikely, but not impossible. My guess? They will wait to see how the first half of the first season of Supergirl performs. If it does well, then I can see them greenlighting (HEH) the Lantern.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

ToastyPotato posted:

I also think it unlikely, but not impossible. My guess? They will wait to see how the first half of the first season of Supergirl performs. If it does well, then I can see them greenlighting (HEH) the Lantern.

A show about Green Arrow? Who the gently caress cares about that?
*TV watchers go apeshit*

OK, Arrow was pretty good, should we push it and be a little more comic-booky with Flash?
*TV watchers go even more apeshit*

Hey this Diggle guy isn't really doing much in Arrow anymore, maybe we can bud him off into a Green Lantern show? The internet is already chomping at the bit about it!
. . . Nah, that's just TOO out there.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I really like David Ramsey and Arrow is getting a bit over crowded so I hope they let him become GL.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

zoux posted:

I really like David Ramsey and Arrow is getting a bit over crowded so I hope they let him become GL.

My only reservation about it would be the special effects. I think Ramsey would make a good Stewart, but to do a GL show justice would require a lot of CG. And most CW shows seem to not have that huge of a budget.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Just spin Felicity off onto the Atom show and let Diggle be the ops guy like he is frequently anyway.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

WarLocke posted:

My only reservation about it would be the special effects. I think Ramsey would make a good Stewart, but to do a GL show justice would require a lot of CG. And most CW shows seem to not have that huge of a budget.

This is what I mean about them waiting and seeing. I think they want to see what can be done on Supergirl, if people dig it, and if it can be replicated elsewhere, possibly on a lower budget if need be.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WarLocke posted:

We worried the same thing about Flash and how has that been hmmmm?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The thing about Green Lantern is that your CGI actually can look cheap as gently caress, at least for the constructs.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I dunno, the JL/JLU cartoons skimped on the animation budget by making John construct bubbles 90% of the time instead of anything creative or interesting. I'm sure a tv lantern would find a way to disappoint.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

zoux posted:

We worried the same thing about Flash and how has that been hmmmm?

90% blur effects and lightning sparks?

A glowing green dude with energy beams and forcefields is a bit more taxing on the budget when he is the main character. Even worse, he is going to need villains that make his powers necessary. Which means lots of catching people, cars, debris, and throwing heavy stuff around. And lots of villains with projectiles and stuff of their own. Again, we'll see how up for the task they are with Supergirl, which faces similar challenges.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I dunno, the JL/JLU cartoons skimped on the animation budget by making John construct bubbles 90% of the time instead of anything creative or interesting. I'm sure a tv lantern would find a way to disappoint.

That wasn't a budget thing, that was a deliberate choice to make him boring as hell.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Aphrodite posted:

That wasn't a budget thing, that was a deliberate choice to make him boring as hell.

Yeah, but it's a really good bubble.

muscles like this? posted:

Tonight's episode of Constantine was kind of weird as they told an Eclipso story without ever using the name Eclipso.

Wasn't that also true in the Justice League two-parter? They have an army general in the costume at one point, but it's literally just because of a joke about how gaudy costumes attract the league members, and I don't think the world Eclipso ever comes up.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 9, 2015

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Daredevil on Netflix is going to be rated TV-MA

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That's definitely a surprise.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

muscles like this? posted:

That's definitely a surprise.

I'd say it's a good surprise, but I don't really recall even Frank Miller Daredevil being that "adult".

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, will we get to see the dick of doom?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

My guess is liberal use of the word "poo poo" in addition to cable TV levels of violence. I wouldn't expect Game of Thrones level stuff here. Even South Park is TV-MA.

Antisam
Jun 18, 2005

Witness the reverie of a mind filtered through tube...
Fun Shoe

ToastyPotato posted:

My guess is liberal use of the word "poo poo" in addition to cable TV levels of violence. I wouldn't expect Game of Thrones level stuff here. Even South Park is TV-MA.

Yeah I'd assume it's going to be at the level of a show on FX, which isn't really comparable to a premium cable TV-MA. If the movies are PG-13, this'll be PG-15. Maybe we'll see D'Onofrio's rear end though

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Lurdiak posted:

Green muppets everywhere.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

I'm mostly happy that it probably means AKA JJ will start with Ritter throwing a man through her office window while screaming "gently caress!"

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I'd say it's a good surprise, but I don't really recall even Frank Miller Daredevil being that "adult".
It's so weird now knowing there was a time where anything Miller write is not that 'adult'.

Anyway, Sif is coming back to Agents of SHIELD.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Gaz-L posted:

I'm mostly happy that it probably means AKA JJ will start with Ritter throwing a man through her office window while screaming "gently caress!"
I'm going to concur with the "there will be FX/cable levels of violence and profanity" sentiment, but that does mean there will be no fucks.

Agents of Shield already has way more blood than the PG-13 marvel movies can get away with.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

e X posted:

The thing about Green Lantern is that your CGI actually can look cheap as gently caress, at least for the constructs.

There's a lot to criticze about the movie, but the CGI used for the constructs looked fine because they're just supposed to just be energy. The suit looked terrible though.

The MSJ posted:

It's so weird now knowing there was a time where anything Miller write is not that 'adult'.

Anyway, Sif is coming back to Agents of SHIELD.

I do love me some Jaime Alexander Sif.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I've yet to watch Constantine, but the more I hear about it from my friend the less I want to. Hellblazer seems so goddamn easy to adapt into a tv series, and there are so many issues of the comic, I just don't understand why they're grafting John's skin onto some obviously pre-existing scripts instead of doing a direct adaptation.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I've never read Hellblazer, but I like Constantine enough. It's better than most of the crap on TV that I have seen. Supernatural seems like a popular show to some degree. I have only seen bits and pieces of it, but Constantine seems to be of similar quality. There is room for improvement for sure, but that is the case with a lot of things.

That being said I can see why a fan of the comic series might not like it. But at some point you either accept that it isn't going to be a straight adaptation (and what precedent is there for any comic to have one, like, ever?) or you give up. I guess most people who are Hellblazer fans are giving up.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Lurdiak posted:

I've yet to watch Constantine, but the more I hear about it from my friend the less I want to. Hellblazer seems so goddamn easy to adapt into a tv series, and there are so many issues of the comic, I just don't understand why they're grafting John's skin onto some obviously pre-existing scripts instead of doing a direct adaptation.

Because John is what we call an unlikable irredeemable shitbag who only apears good in contrast to literal demons and devils.

You will never see that John on TV or film and frankly the Keanu movie was as close as you will ever get.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SirDan3k posted:

Because John is what we call an unlikable irredeemable shitbag who only apears good in contrast to literal demons and devils.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

SirDan3k posted:

You will never see that John on TV or film and frankly the Keanu movie was as close as you will ever get.

I guess there is the matter that he probably isn't being written this way currently as well.

Truth, but a much harder sell for network television, which is why it was confusing that they sold it to a network at all when they probably could have done better on HBO, a channel that they already own fully.

Edit: In unrelated news, the rumors come to fruition with Spider-Man Kinda/sorta joining the MCU officially. But Sony will still have rights and make their own SM movies, but will work side by side with Marvel in the process on a "new direction" for the franchise.

http://marvel.com/news/movies/24062/sony_pictures_entertainment_brings_marvel_studios_into_the_amazing_world_of_spider-man

I wonder how, if at all this will effect the Netflix stuff and or any future TV things. SM is a much more grounded hero but one that tends to be very "present" in-universe, if that makes sense. He's on the news a lot. Having him in the universe and just ignoring him is going to be weird.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 10, 2015

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

ToastyPotato posted:

I guess there is the matter that he probably isn't being written this way currently as well.

I am assuming the Hellblazer stories Lurdiak is talking about aren't from modern forgettable Constantine sanitized for maximum market penetration.

DC won't let the character be Walter White for brand reasons alone.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
A Diggle Green Lantern would pretty much be Hellboy in space, and that would be awesome.

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...

Gaz-L posted:

If she was actually played as the bitch from apartment 23 but with superpowers that would be awesome. Though they already cast someone other than Dawson as the purple man. I guess I can always dream.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

John was always written as a by the book kinda guy, not super imaginative. His constructs were utilitarian and solid. Kyle was the super creative one, with Hal falling in the middle ground.

EDIT: and Guy was just a walking fist.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Rhymenoserous posted:

John was always written as a by the book kinda guy, not super imaginative. His constructs were utilitarian and solid. Kyle was the super creative one, with Hal falling in the middle ground.

EDIT: and Guy was just a walking fist.

They sorta retconned this by having John lean on his background as a soldier and architect.

Like if it came time to lift something big:
Hal would use a giant hand.
John would use a crane.
Kyle would use a Gundam.
Guy would smash it into smaller, easier to carry pieces.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Since Geoff Johns is involved you know if Diggles fill name is revealed it will be John Hal Jordan Diggle

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Hal should only be so lucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Dunno if this was already discussed, if so I missed it:

Spider-Man coming to MCU