Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

piscesbobbie posted:

Hi Phaena, try clearing the cache (if that makes any sense).

I tried that but it didn't work. Finally got it to work by opening a secondary window with the ustream link (and then closing the first one) lol?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Great pics Inveigle, thanks! :neckbeard:
That's Linc pecking 12_String's pantleg, it appears that with the death of Bug she is now Head Hen.

Also, a few new chick pics from those that ALLOWED me to take their picture a while back. http://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2014/11/fun-with-poultry.html

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Also, a few new chick pics from those that ALLOWED me to take their picture a while back. http://jackshenhouse.blogspot.com/2014/11/fun-with-poultry.html

Awwww. Look at Pumpkin's adorably floopy doodad. It's like a little hat. :3:

Cam is so handsome! So many pretty roos!

Didn't Fries start out as a mostly-black hen? Lookit all those pretty white spangles now! :D

So many beautiful roos! How many roos are there now? Are they getting along now that they have the big yard to run in?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

d'Uccles spangles come in more and more in their first few years of life, they just get prettier and prettier with every molt. :neckbeard: Since Bloop is their daddy, can't wait to see what Buzzard and Cowbell do!

Seven roos right now. The roos all get along well except for Cam when it comes to Weeds. Cam will relentlessly chase Weeds down and try to kill him. :( So for now Cam has his own run with hens that come and go, we rotate them in and out over the course of the day. This Spring when we get the trees and shrubs planted out there and Cam has matured a bit and calmed down I hope it stops...if not I think Cam will have to go.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
Thanks for the new pictures VS! Pele's color is gorgeous! I love earth tone colors anyway.... Sorry I missed most of the show yesterday, dad issues :) Have a safe New Year Celebration to all! How is it you don't have snow? We had eight inches last night thru this morning ICK!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

piscesbobbie posted:

Thanks for the new pictures VS! Pele's color is gorgeous! I love earth tone colors anyway.... Sorry I missed most of the show yesterday, dad issues :) Have a safe New Year Celebration to all! How is it you don't have snow? We had eight inches last night thru this morning ICK!

*juvenile giggle*

Our weather is jacked. They keep calling for snow, we keep getting skunked. Cold enough to freeze Hell itself, though.

This makes for very pleased chickens, needless to say.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Too cold for the cam today, we'll see what tomorrow brings.

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Weather is okay today. Above freezing and things are dripping. Cam is up.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Thank you for the show today! So many roosters! There was quite the crow fest going on! Happy New Year 12String, Velvet Sparrow and The Kid!

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Cam is up!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Heeeey....it's January! Wait...do I hear something...?

*Ding!*

What's that, ebay? You say it's time to shop for hatching eggs?

Oh... ok. :henget:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

You have the FEVER! Hey VS, what breed(s) if any are you contemplating? Are there any other GINORMOUS types around? :neckbeard:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

No Chickam this weekend, we've got a family emergency we're dealing with, sorry.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Chickam 2015 is on! :woop:

OK, the first set of hatching eggs are ordered! We'll be having TWO rounds of hatching this year, both planned for March.

I'll set the first group of eggs February 27th & 28th, hatch date will be March 20th & 21st.
Second hatch will be set March 6th & 7th, hatch date will be March 27th & 28th.

The reason I'm staggering the set/hatch dates over two days is so more people have a chance to catch an egg hatching. This will be kind of an experiment, but should work just fine with the ReptiPro since you don't have to do the strict 3 day lockdown with it.

The eggs I ordered today for delivery next month for the first hatch will be mixes:
Frizzled Ameraucana/Silkie
Easter Egger/Silkie
Frizzled & Smooth Polish/Silkie
Salmon Flavorelle/Silkie

So the chicks should be, ahh...'interesting' to say the least. I haven't ordered eggs for hatch #2 yet but I've got my eye on some. I'll put some of our own hens' eggs in each hatch as well. The other day I caught Mushroom the bantam Cochin roo successfully mating one of the Giant Cochin girls, so God knows what we'll get...

Hopefully we'll have a broody mama available, Rambo the buff Brahma and Pompadour the gray Giant Cochin are both *just* starting to go broody now. We will of course encourage this about two weeks prior to the hatch dates. :neckbeard:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Chickam 2015 is on! :woop:
Awesome!

Velvet Sparrow posted:

So the chicks should be, ahh...'interesting' to say the least. I haven't ordered eggs for hatch #2 yet but I've got my eye on some. I'll put some of our own hens' eggs in each hatch as well. The other day I caught Mushroom the bantam Cochin roo successfully mating one of the Giant Cochin girls, so God knows what we'll get...
You dude, Mushroom! Offspring: tiny chicken with HUGE feet?

Anyway, I was lucky enough to name one of the chicks last year, Cowbell (who turned out to be, I think, Cowboy). How's he doing?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Velvet Sparrow posted:

The other day I caught Mushroom the bantam Cochin roo successfully mating one of the Giant Cochin girls, so God knows what we'll get...

Dream big, little roo! :D

I'm so excited! Silkies! Frizzles! Frizzle Silkies!!!! There are gonna be some super-cute fluffballs very soon! :D

Also hoping to see Rambo as a broody mama hen! CHICK RIDES SOON! :D

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013
Oh my gosh....Friizzle, Silkies, Polish...AHHHH!!!! This is gonna be a cute-fest~!!!
Any news on possible quail d'anvers?

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
My goodness, bantam-on-giant chickenbanging must have been quite a sight.

Yay, I'm excited for Chickam 2015!!!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

spookygonk posted:

Awesome!

You dude, Mushroom! Offspring: tiny chicken with HUGE feet?

Anyway, I was lucky enough to name one of the chicks last year, Cowbell (who turned out to be, I think, Cowboy). How's he doing?

Cowbell is a big grown-up boy, he and Buzzard hang around together and chase hens, then they get chased by Frosty, who in turn is chased by Cam...

I have a possible supplier of Quail bantams, if I get some they will be in hatch #2.

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Cam is up!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The cam is late today because we had to run into Carson City to gather supplies for the, ahh...'implement' I want to build. The implement will be tested tomorrow when we run the cam.

If all goes well it should be hilarious. :neckbeard:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

The cam is up! The new food-toy is built and will be placed out in the chicken yard in about 20 minutes, should be fun!

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chickam2008

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Someone checking out the new toy. CHICKSPICION!!! :D

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

^^^^ Heh, Cam. Great picture!

Zip, staring. She was the bravest and I think ended up getting most of the goodies.

By the time it got dark they'd eaten quite a bit off of the wheel o' food. I kept hearing 'Twang!' noises as they'd peck at the apples. I'm hoping that next time they'll be more used to it and more chickens will have at the thing. The older hens were being too dignified, and a few others are REALLY into egg laying and all the hollering drama that goes along with it.

Spring is a comin'.

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 26, 2015

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
That is an awesome foodtoy! Well done.

I finally remembered to bookmark the Chickam site and this thread so I'm going to be stalking it closely this year in hopes of seeing babies hatching! Also naming one, because I love your chickens' names.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

VS: you need this!

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

VS: you need this!

Mine is made of tin, rolls around in circles and squawks as it lays eggs. :keke:

VVVV It's twue! It's twue!

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jan 29, 2015

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
LAY EGG IS TRUE!!!

12_String
Feb 28, 2007

Broccoli is brain food.
Nice day today. Cam is up.

I swear they were all standing right in front of it a second ago.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Another lovely day for Chickam!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

VS I have a question. You have so many handsome roosters. I wonder if you were able to caponize them, would that stop aggression? I tried doing a little research, there are some videos on youtube where folks do it themself at home. I wonder if a vet would consider it, how much it would cost. Hmmm. I might have to try and call a vet that cares for livestock and see.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

piscesbobbie posted:

VS I have a question. You have so many handsome roosters. I wonder if you were able to caponize them, would that stop aggression? I tried doing a little research, there are some videos on youtube where folks do it themself at home. I wonder if a vet would consider it, how much it would cost. Hmmm. I might have to try and call a vet that cares for livestock and see.

Yes, you can caponize them and it's pretty easily done at home, they even sell home caponizing kits. I've never done it, seen it done or know anyone who's done it so I'd have to find out a LOT more about it.
But I'm pretty sure that 12_String would be against it...if I recall correctly it does make them less aggressive, not sure what it does to their value as a protector of the flock with typical roosterly behaviour.

Also, looking at the picture of Frosty it's no wonder that every time I see him walk by I can't help but hear, 'Derp, derp, derp' in my head. It's like his personal soundtrack.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Apparently it's illegal in the UK.

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Holy cats, monster storm Friday and serious damage/no power everywhere, another storm moving in today/tonight, so no Chickam this weekend, sorry. We've been without power for two days and it might well go down again.

We are OK, the coop & run started to come apart in the 100 mph winds but 12_String fixed them. So the chickens are safe, if mighty pissed at us for allowing that wind/rain thing to happen. It's ok though, I had to clean out the fridge & freezer after having no power for two days and they got all kinds of goodies.

Chicken goodies FTW!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

We have had crazy WARM weather here VS! Bad winds the last 48 hours died down today. It is currently 61 degrees (1:23 pm). The forecast for this week is for temps in the 50s and 60s. This is so unusual. Stay safe out there!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Velvet Sparrow posted:

We are OK, the coop & run started to come apart in the 100 mph winds but 12_String fixed them. So the chickens are safe, if mighty pissed at us for allowing that wind/rain thing to happen. It's ok though, I had to clean out the fridge & freezer after having no power for two days and they got all kinds of goodies.

Chicken goodies FTW!
Everything wrong's our fault when it comes to our hens. Regardless.

Phaena
Sep 3, 2013

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Holy cats, monster storm Friday and serious damage/no power everywhere, another storm moving in today/tonight, so no Chickam this weekend, sorry. We've been without power for two days and it might well go down again.

Chicken goodies FTW!

O_O

After all the chicken goodies they got, did they forget about all of the wind/rain happening?

Please take care!!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Inveigle posted:

Another lovely day for Chickam!

Looks like an identikit chicken, or a Frankenrooster.

Inveigle posted:

12_String carefully sets down Bloop while the new Head Hen, Linc the Barred Rock, asks to be picked up next. :3:

Look how relaxed they are with being picked up! Our ex-batts still resist that sort of close interaction / handling. We have to resort to treats to trick them if they need picking up.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

spookygonk posted:

Look how relaxed they are with being picked up! Our ex-batts still resist that sort of close interaction / handling. We have to resort to treats to trick them if they need picking up.

What gets me is that the chooks WANT to be picked up! They followed 12_String around and pestered him to pick them up! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

What gets me is that the chooks WANT to be picked up! They followed 12_String around and pestered him to pick them up! :)

And if we sit down in a chair, we instantly have them squabbling for who gets to sit in our lap for pets--and a lap can only hold so many chickens at once. You really get to see the pecking order in action!

• Locked thread