Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I don't remember this being covered already, sorry if it was, but you can do a kinda boring but really effective group of 4 crusaders. Make sure they all have Holy Lance and Inspiring Cry. Holy Lance melts the back couple enemies in just a few moves, then the two crusaders stuck in the back of the shuffle spend their turns spamming Inspiring Cry, which will keep the health and stress levels well under control. And you'll never need torches!

Not the most interesting class to play, but very solid all around and seem great for survivability on Medium-Long runs. Granted, I haven't tried this at higher levels yet, so there may be some mechanics I haven't thought of that will give you trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Notorious QIG posted:

I believe your stress resist drops pretty hard in low light too. I don't have a lot of low light experience but every time I've taken in a four-newbie team without torches they survive just fine but all come back afflicted.

It's still not really an issue, I barely ever hit max stress even when doing Level 5 no light runs.

Edit: Remember, crits lower your stress as well.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Thanks for this. When it indicates an item like, say, the holy water at a confessional, how do you activate it? Does it happen automatically or do you need to select the item?

You have to drag the item out of your inventory to use the item combination.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

Also, I think fighting with anything less than a fully-lit torch makes it harder to hit enemies.
Yes but you get increased crits (and those lower your stress) and more importantly increased loot from fighting at zero light. Once you know how to build an efficient team and survive without gaining too much stress, sending a team fight without torches is basically the best way to get so much money/rewards you will have to throws equipment out of your items page to keep the good stuff. I am talking 15k+ gold + 30-35 upgrades items + the mission rewards for a level 1 mission. Do that a few times and concentrate your update on maxing the meditating upgrades and you suddenly have a really easy way to lose stress. And if you do that with higher level characters who gain a lot less stress, you can do it without gaining more than 20 stress overall per character for a whole smallish trip in the dungeon. It also help if you know how to interact with the curios for optimal stress management (aka don't read books/library).

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 9, 2015

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does the torch burn down in real time, and if so is there a keyboard shortcut to top it off? It's such a small thing but stopping to open my inventory and double click a torch really stands out as clunky compared to the rest of the UI.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

poptart_fairy posted:

Does the torch burn down in real time, and if so is there a keyboard shortcut to top it off? It's such a small thing but stopping to open my inventory and double click a torch really stands out as clunky compared to the rest of the UI.

Nope, it goes down for every "square" you move in the dungeon. That means there's 5 squares between every room(4 if you enter the door at the end of a passageway before it ticks down) where you lose torch light.
It also seems that it ticks down 5 or more when walking through unexplored areas, while it only ticks down 1 when you backtrack through explored areas.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
It ticks down 6% for every square on the minimap you move inside a hallway connecting rooms. Moving into or out of a room doesn't cause your torch to tick.

Edit: Right, it ticks down for only 1% if you already explored the square. Forgot to mention that.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It can also burn down or light up during fights depending on attacks used. I don't know if that carries over out of the battle though. I think it does.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
That stuff persists even after the battle, yeah. Dazzling Light is actually a really good way to keep your torch topped off if you're willing to cheese a little.

JollyGreen
Aug 23, 2010
Are buff skills generally not worth it? Like look at 'take aim' or 'revenge' for example. Any bonuses that you get from them seem like they would be offset by (1)The sacrifice of a round to cast the buff, (2) The extra damage you take by not just trying to burn the enemy down faster. I kinda just feel like mashing heal spells from healers, and the generic melee attacks from any hero, are the best way to play. Trying to get creative doesn't pay off.

I would also really like to be able to see what skills enemies have. It would let me make tactical decisions on how to fight the enemy without having to memorize their skill sets.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Aside from the Jester's party buff, not really. The Leper's accuracy buff is useful, but in practice if you need to use it then your Leper is not really a good asset anyway. Otherwise, I can't see many situations where buffing is desirable except perhaps stuff like the Crusader's protection % buff against the Swine Prince and other such niche circumstances.

And ideally, your Vestal should be contributing damage too and switching to healing once most of the enemies are dead. Otherwise you're somewhat shortchanging yourself on longevity.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Danakir posted:

That stuff persists even after the battle, yeah. Dazzling Light is actually a really good way to keep your torch topped off if you're willing to cheese a little.

And potentially a way to make an occultist a boon to a grave robber trio of pitch black crit fiends, because they can use a move to make the torch drop even faster.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

JollyGreen posted:

Are buff skills generally not worth it? Like look at 'take aim' or 'revenge' for example. Any bonuses that you get from them seem like they would be offset by (1)The sacrifice of a round to cast the buff, (2) The extra damage you take by not just trying to burn the enemy down faster. I kinda just feel like mashing heal spells from healers, and the generic melee attacks from any hero, are the best way to play. Trying to get creative doesn't pay off.

I would also really like to be able to see what skills enemies have. It would let me make tactical decisions on how to fight the enemy without having to memorize their skill sets.

The Hellion buff removes bleed/blight and gives her a crit boost I think, which is awesome. The Leper's defensive buff is good for tanking, but I don't use his others. I'd rather just chop at people. The only other time I use buffs are if someone's pushed out of attacking and can't do anything else, like the PD. Having two Bounty Hunters in your group can roll off of Mark for Death into some heavy hits. You can combo a Mark, Flashbang, then Finish Him on the first one's next turn for both Stun and Mark damage boosts, I think. I have to try it.

Waffle! fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 9, 2015

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

Lotish posted:

And potentially a way to make an occultist a boon to a grave robber trio of pitch black crit fiends, because they can use a move to make the torch drop even faster.

To say nothing of the fact that said moves are actually really good on their own merit! If your party actually wants to be in pitch darkness, the Occultist's move set is actually really superb.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Is there something special about the tree next to the nomad wagon? It highlights when you mouse over it, but nothing happens when you click it.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
So a level 0 no light suicide squad is actually a viable way to grind money/upgrade items? Or are your no-light runs done with specifically built characters?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Fhqwhgads posted:

So a level 0 no light suicide squad is actually a viable way to grind money/upgrade items? Or are your no-light runs done with specifically built characters?

Yeah, suicide squads are completely viable. It doesn't cost anything to hire rookies or to fire them, so as long as at least one escapes alive it's pure profit.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The hardest part of no-light runs is probably micromanaging all the loot in your inventory.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I think either or can be effective, you just need the right party build to do well in a no-light situation.

But Level 0 No Light Suicide Squads are a great way to grind up early stuff. Not so much once you get a solid party running, though.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
You know what might make the non-attack skills more useful? Enemies with protection values. Big tanky guys who have physical damage mitigation but lousy resists otherwise. As it stands, the big enemies right now are just large piles of hitpoints that resist everything, so you have no reason to do anything but burn them down quickly.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

enraged_camel posted:

Is there something special about the tree next to the nomad wagon? It highlights when you mouse over it, but nothing happens when you click it.

I've been wondering myself; I imagine its some unimplemented building. Possibly related to the end-game quest?

Fhqwhgads posted:

Its totally viable. There's a good chance you'll have to ditch mid-dungeon and retreat, but it costs you nothing so any gains are profit. And there's a chance you'll actually succeed if you use some tactics, especially specifically built teams. But its not necessary.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zaphod42 posted:

I've been wondering myself; I imagine its some unimplemented building. Possibly related to the end-game quest?

It should be the quit game button. "And so, the Owner followed the path of all his Ancestors..."

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
The grave robber dodge buff from stunning enemies can stack and is what allows them to stay alive for so long. Dodge is a very powerful stat in this game. I have that sun cloak trinket on everyone myself, it is bananas good.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The statue/fountain thing next to the trinket dealer also lights up but does nothing when you click.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fhqwhgads posted:

It's what I use for the first few weeks, basically grind for loot and then build a dream team that has a much better chance of surviving.

Radiochromatic
Feb 17, 2011
I'm pretty sure that Barbaric Yawp and Blinding Gas combos probably aren't the way the game is meant to be played, but I love it too much to stop. I just wish there was a way to increase the chances of certain hero classes to show up for recruiting. Getting tired of running short missions, only to come back to three or four of the same class. My kingdom for another bounty hunter.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
I think one of my characters just got an affliction that's an indirect reference to kiddy fiddling priests.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

enraged_camel posted:

As you progress (in quests or maybe village construction) it gets torn up and the village starts building a statue of you.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

I think one of my characters just got an affliction that's an indirect reference to kiddy fiddling priests.

Deviant Tastes or something else?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Radiochromatic posted:

I'm pretty sure that Barbaric Yawp and Blinding Gas combos probably aren't the way the game is meant to be played, but I love it too much to stop. I just wish there was a way to increase the chances of certain hero classes to show up for recruiting. Getting tired of running short missions, only to come back to three or four of the same class. My kingdom for another bounty hunter.
Upgrade your stage coach even further? I mean you have options here.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Notorious QIG posted:

Deviant Tastes or something else?

I think it's called 'Witnessed Unsavoury Practices' or something and it means they won't pray at the Church.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I think it's called 'Witnessed Unsavoury Practices' or something and it means they won't pray at the Church.

Just need some mind bleach at the sanitarium and they will be right as rain.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I do really like this depressing as gently caress game.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Where's that story about the guy who used the sanitarium to convince someone to go to the brothel again? That was a good story.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

:stonklol:

Notorious QIG posted:

Where's that story about the guy who used the sanitarium to convince someone to go to the brothel again? That was a good story.

It was me, one of my very first experiences with the game. My Crusader got the quirk where he would only pray at church, so I took him to nazi re-education camp to remind him that breasts are the only god you need.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

But they will flagellate. :wiggle:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I find buffs are good for any fight where I know I'm not going to be killing poo poo this turn. So pretty much boss fights. Anything else you're better off just bursting down as many targets as possible with all your guys. Don't worry about trying to heal if there are 2+ enemies still up unless you super need it, because chances are that guy you don't kill is going to do that much damage at least on his next turn.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

:stonklol:

It was me, one of my very first experiences with the game. My Crusader got the quirk where he would only pray at church, so I took him to nazi re-education camp to remind him that breasts are the only god you need.

Gay conversion therapy not banned yet in Hamlet.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you try to make someone do an activity their quriks won't let them take part in you get special complaints from them.

:gonk: "I want nothing to do with that house of 'worship'."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
Something I've noticed is that a lot of the Tavern activities seem to have more serious/annoying negative consequences. Meditation seems to be the safest, the worst side-effect I've had after using it for so long is the hero gaining the Enlightened quirk. What's the consensus on the matter?