Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Lord Frisk posted:

In America's high five. It doesn't often, but it has before. We had snow in June this year, so I dunno what to tell you.

I'm shittin' bricks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Evil Sagan posted:

Where do you live that it snows on 4th of July? Because yes, there is a decent chunk of America that would poo poo bricks if it snowed in the middle of Summer.
Pfftttt....... Snow itself isn't really that big of a deal. 4ft of it is.
EDIT:
Also which one of you wrote a Magical Girl RPG?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Really? I'm in New London and there's none here.

Hey, since you're in that area....is The Citadel still around and is it still a dark as poo poo place that would be a gaming archeologist dream/customer nightmare?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Davin Valkri posted:

Is this the part where I feel bad for living in Southern California? :smith:

You should
NoCal > SoCal. :colbert:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Thomamelas posted:

Hey, since you're in that area....is The Citadel still around and is it still a dark as poo poo place that would be a gaming archeologist dream/customer nightmare?

I don't know; I've never been. The only nerd store I go to around here is Sarge's Comics, because it's literally three blocks from my office. I've heard horror stories about The Citadel, though, and as far as I can read it's still open.

e: geez, the place is only 10 minutes from here...I should check it out sometime just to see if they have anything non-board game.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
If it's any consolation, as a fellow Californian, snow is something we desperately need right now, at least in the mountains.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I don't know; I've never been. The only nerd store I go to around here is Sarge's Comics, because it's literally three blocks from my office. I've heard horror stories about The Citadel, though, and as far as I can read it's still open.

e: geez, the place is only 10 minutes from here...I should check it out sometime just to see if they have anything non-board game.

Sarge's was pretty cool. If the Citadel hasn't changed then you'll find a fair amount of D&D stuff. If you dig deep enough I wouldn't be shocked to find unopened white boxes that have been forgotten about and are now grey from dust.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Thomamelas posted:

Sarge's was pretty cool. If the Citadel hasn't changed then you'll find a fair amount of D&D stuff. If you dig deep enough I wouldn't be shocked to find unopened white boxes that have been forgotten about and are now grey from dust.
Sarge's is still pretty cool; they're not the indie/small press RPG carrier they used to be, but they still carry current trad and indie RPGs. They also have a shelf full of really old first and second edition D&D stuff.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

MadScientistWorking posted:

Also which one of you wrote a Magical Girl RPG?

I think that was Ewen Cluney?

Baron Snow fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 9, 2015

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sarge's is still pretty cool; they're not the indie/small press RPG carrier they used to be, but they still carry current trad and indie RPGs. They also have a shelf full of really old first and second edition D&D stuff.

The Indie/small press boom hadn't happened before I moved away so they used to be super heavy into Magic, Comics and general Nerd stuff. Oh and anime.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Baron Snow posted:

I think that was Ewan Cluney?

Nah, this one: http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/144223/Sparks

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Thomamelas posted:

The Indie/small press boom hadn't happened before I moved away so they used to be super heavy into Magic, Comics and general Nerd stuff. Oh and anime.
You'll be ever so surprised to know that they did shut down for a while because they got in trouble for selling bootleg anime a while back, but that was a long time ago.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

You'll be ever so surprised to know that they did shut down for a while because they got in trouble for selling bootleg anime a while back, but that was a long time ago.

Not even a little bit shocked. One can only move so many shady VHS tapes before it catches up with you.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Today I have been overcome with the strangest urge to acquire a copy of the DBZ RPG. Then I found out that it's 50 bucks on Amazon and that urge went away.

I'm not even sure why I want it, honestly.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Emong posted:

Today I have been overcome with the strangest urge to acquire a copy of the DBZ RPG. Then I found out that it's 50 bucks on Amazon and that urge went away.

I think I still have my copy, if that rekindles the urge.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
I'm starting up a game of Feng Shui 2 and one of my players is doing the Maverick Cop with a Triad member for a brother. God I love it when players give me a buffet of plot hooks.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

ProfessorCirno posted:

If it's any consolation, as a fellow Californian, snow is something we desperately need right now, at least in the mountains.
Well maybe one of our many snow farms can spare you some snow.

Emong
May 31, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

I think I still have my copy, if that rekindles the urge.

It might! I'm not exactly prepared to drop any significant amount of money on it; I was sort of expecting it and the sourcebooks to be going for basically nothing, since I can't imagine there's a lot of actual demand for them.

They're the sort of obscure RPG curiosity that triggers the collector in me.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Emong posted:

It might! I'm not exactly prepared to drop any significant amount of money on it; I was sort of expecting it and the sourcebooks to be going for basically nothing, since I can't imagine there's a lot of actual demand for them.

They're the sort of obscure RPG curiosity that triggers the collector in me.

If I still have it, I'll sell it for shipping costs. It's just taking up space in my "get rid of this poo poo" pile.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Evil Sagan posted:

Where do you live that it snows on 4th of July? Because yes, there is a decent chunk of America that would poo poo bricks if it snowed in the middle of Summer.
Had that happen in the UP once. It actually snowed enough for the slopes to open (although you did have to sign a "this is probably a bad idea and only my fault if I die" waiver).

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The DBZ RPG is seriously one of those things you read once to your friends so you can all laugh at it, maybe play it once if you all have free time to smear yourselves with poop "just 'cause", and then you never look at it again. That said, the humor in it can be substantial depending on your friends' grasp of basic game design and also simple math.

EDIT: Sorry for trying to unsell your garbage, EM.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I picked up a copy of the old Tri-Stat Sailor Moon RPG when my FLGS went out of business to try to steal the move-generation system. Almost bought the old Batman one, too.

I also own a copy of Continnum and the Chi-Chian RPG. I own a lot of weird games.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Another magical girl RPG that's worse than Senshi: The Merchandising... unbelievable...

Emong
May 31, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

If I still have it, I'll sell it for shipping costs. It's just taking up space in my "get rid of this poo poo" pile.

Cool, if you find it just PM me and we can work out this transference of garbage.

Plague of Hats posted:

The DBZ RPG is seriously one of those things you read once to your friends so you can all laugh at it, maybe play it once if you all have free time to smear yourselves with poop "just 'cause", and then you never look at it again. That said, the humor in it can be substantial depending on your friends' grasp of basic game design and also simple math.

EDIT: Sorry for trying to unsell your garbage, EM.

The cost of shipping is a low enough price for me to have it just for the sake of having it. Plus I know I have at least one friend who would be willing to play an old, weird game just for laughs.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

LongDarkNight posted:

It would be a positive change for the state.
Good job losing the Mandate of Heaven, Silver! :argh:

Hey, other than Legend of Wulin Heroes or Qin, any other China/Wuxia themed RPGs out there?

Emong posted:

I think I might still have a copy of the first one somewhere. I recall it being completely unplayable, even for a twelve year old.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

There's the Tianxia setting for Fate Core and the Book of Jade for Ironclaw. Oriental Adventures used to have a China-alike way back in the AD&D ages. Besides those, I'm drawing a blank.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rockopolis posted:

Good job losing the Mandate of Heaven, Silver! :argh:

Hey, other than Legend of Wulin Heroes or Qin, any other China/Wuxia themed RPGs out there?

A 69 AD oriented Feng Shui campaign, or 7th century in Feng Shui 2e, is basically designed to be wuxia.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Rockopolis posted:

Weapons of the Gods (Legends of Wulin 1.0 with kicking art)

Swords of the Middle Kingdom

and Chris Pramas's Dragon Fist

(Comedy Option)

Palladium's Mystic China expansion

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Thomamelas posted:

These stores are great if you run in, delve into their vaults of ancient treasures, make your purchsse and leave without interacting with the staff or clientele.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Tollymain posted:

i thought shoggoths are ancient biological machines gone haywire. are they a metaphor for some grotesque bigotry as well?

China Miéville made a decent case for it:

quote:

The Shoggoth's "shapeless congeries of protoplasmic bubbles" is the logical extension (literally ad nauseam) of Lovecraft's dehumanizing, subhumanizing vision of the masses. Is it a coincidence that the Shoggoth stares at the narrator with "myriads of temporary eyes"? That it is compared to a subway train, a working-class, ethnically heterogeneous conveyance? The Shoggoth is a mass presence, various, multicolored, refusing to behave.

The Shoggothian qualities of the ethnically mixed working class are made absolutely overt in Lovecraft's description of a visit he paid to New York's Lower East Side. "The organic things inhabiting that awful cesspool could not... be call'd human. They were monstrous and nebulous adumbrations of the pithecanthropoid and amoebal... slithering and oozing... in a fashion suggestive of nothing but infesting works or deep-sea unnamabilities... I thought of some avenue of Cyclopean and unwholesome vats, crammed to the vomiting point with gangrenous vileness, and about to burst and inundate the world." Out of what but precisely such Cyclopean vats could the Shoggoths be fashioned?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I was at the used bookstore today and they had a copy of 2E World of Synnibarr. I already own it, but I was sorely tempted to buy it anyway and find it a home, because Synnibarr is some sort of perverse masterwork, even if McCracken seems to get meaner and crazier every year.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Antivehicular posted:

I was at the used bookstore today and they had a copy of 2E World of Synnibarr. I already own it, but I was sorely tempted to buy it anyway and find it a home, because Synnibarr is some sort of perverse masterwork, even if McCracken seems to get meaner and crazier every year.

You mean the edition he kickstarted? I'm amazed that's available in stores at all.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

You mean the edition he kickstarted? I'm amazed that's available in stores at all.

No, the Kickstarter was for 3E. The one that's relatively most available is 2E, as far as I've seen. 1E is lost to the mists of tiny mid-80's vanity publishing.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know that Lovecraft was a xenophobe of the first order but I've yet to stop being surprised by the sheer magnitude of his shittiness :stare:

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

His prose really brings alive his contempt for nearly everyone and everything.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Ettin posted:

China Miéville made a decent case for it:

I need to reevaluate my life, because this just made me realize I've had to reorder my order of preference for communist genre fiction authors now that poor Iain Banks died.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Plague of Hats posted:

HPL was pretty much the ur-goon of his time. If her were alive today he'd probably split his posting equally between CC and D&D.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Plague of Hats posted:

Hey now, "everyone" is stretching it. He had a definite soft spot for pure-blooded old money Anglo-Saxons. And cats.

grassy gnoll posted:

I need to reevaluate my life, because this just made me realize I've had to reorder my order of preference for communist genre fiction authors now that poor Iain Banks died.

I just remembered Miéville's rejected Iron Man pitch and realized how fortunate we are that he's a person that exists.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Yawgmoth posted:

HPL was pretty much the ur-goon of his time. If her were alive today he'd probably split his posting equally between CC and D&D.

And then he'd have jumped ship to somethign sensitive to flee the ess jay dubya menace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Yawgmoth posted:

You're pretty much exactly write. He leaned heavily on the "phobe" in xenophobe. Just a nervous wreck who was terrified of everything.

• Locked thread