Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Feels good to get to work on a Monday and just crush it and have a good attitude about working with people.

It was a good Monday guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Big Daddy Keynes posted:

Has anyone here got much LS1 experience? I got offered a WH Caprice for 2000 dollars and i'm fairly tempted due to the fact that i haven't been able to drive anywhere due to heat a couple of times this year (black leather and no a/c in 40+ temps sucks serious dicks) and this bad boy has the most amazing ac i have ever experienced.

That would be the VT / VX Commodore equivalent and the first of the LS1's. I'd be kinda suspect of the price tho, 2 grand for a WH Caprice would be raising all sorts of red flags that it has issues.

If it is in good condition (you absolutly want to be sure of that), then its honestly one of the best cars to cruise in and pretty capable if you want to have a bit of fun. Holden really got their poo poo together with that generation of cars.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
My boss quit. One of my employees miraculously survived a pretty horrid traffic accident. One of my other employees quit leaving me with no coverage for 2 weeks. One got robbed at gun point. One had his wife receive emergency surgery for lord only knows what because now I can't reach him by phone.

I'm buying beer on the way home tonight. I'm thinking Rolling Rock because I need a lot.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Thanks to this forum it runs and drives like a champ. I'm glad I didn't try installing a cheap ebay turbo because I probably would have blown it up and really, it may not be pretty but it does the job.

Year and trim? My friend is looking for a car. You're in Indiana right?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah my sleep schedule is pretty broken, I wind up getting snatches of 4-5 hours a night but it'll end up being from like 7 until midnight or 9 to 2:30 or something and then it's hard for me to get back to sleep because I'm up at 5:30 to go to work anyways

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mariooncrack posted:

Year and trim? My friend is looking for a car. You're in Indiana right?

94 DX 5 speed. I did the Mini-Me swap. It's 3 colors though. :)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Moxie Omen posted:

My interests are primarily "interesting" truck-like things. 4x4 Jeep MJ, Hilux, or a diesel caddy.

Can you actually find a Caddy that isn't grossly overpriced? Around here Caddys trade hands routinely for $4-5000, even for lovely awful ones.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

MrChips posted:

Can you actually find a Caddy that isn't grossly overpriced? Around here Caddys trade hands routinely for $4-5000, even for lovely awful ones.

There's definitely a tax. I'm waiting to hear more about one in the 4k range.

I deal primarily in E30's so I'm pretty used to unrealistic market expectations at this point.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
$4k is big turbo diesel truck here, and trucks have inflated values since so many head south of the border.
That would give you a truck with real hauling capacity past that of a small motorcycle.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Nothing like installing the new door on your car to replace the dented one only to notice a dent you missed when inspecting the door pre purchase at the junkyard :suicide:

Oh well, at least it's a smaller dent.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

Nothing like installing the new door on your car to replace the dented one only to notice a dent you missed when inspecting the door pre purchase at the junkyard :suicide:

Oh well, at least it's a smaller dent.

When I bought the first door for the Civic I had no idea the PO had driven a nail through the window crank post. Found this out when I went to swap the tan door card for the gray one. Was a huge ordeal to remove it and the post was hosed. Ended up just buying a second door and returning the first one in it's place.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cat Terrist posted:

That would be the VT / VX Commodore equivalent and the first of the LS1's. I'd be kinda suspect of the price tho, 2 grand for a WH Caprice would be raising all sorts of red flags that it has issues.

If it is in good condition (you absolutly want to be sure of that), then its honestly one of the best cars to cruise in and pretty capable if you want to have a bit of fun. Holden really got their poo poo together with that generation of cars.

Didn't the early LS1 Commodores have issues with oiling and piston slap?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

You Am I posted:

Didn't the early LS1 Commodores have issues with oiling and piston slap?

That's every LS1. It's not usually an issue for the motor, though. Just noisy, and usually only on start up.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

iwentdoodie posted:

That's every LS1. It's not usually an issue for the motor, though. Just noisy, and usually only on start up.

Throw an L98 into it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Cripes, why is it so hard to figure out how to install an axillary input on a 2005 Explorer? I just want to listen to my Zune while I drive.
But since 2005 is ancient history in internet years, it's like impossible to find an answer for which adapter I need to buy to use with the radio.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ExplodingSims posted:

Cripes, why is it so hard to figure out how to install an axillary input on a 2005 Explorer? I just want to listen to my Zune while I drive.
But since 2005 is ancient history in internet years, it's like impossible to find an answer for which adapter I need to buy to use with the radio.

Pull it out and post a picture of the back here, somebody will know the answer in minutes.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Moxie Omen posted:

I should definitely get rid of my E34 and replace it with a Diesel VW Rabbit truck, right? Because that's a good decision, yes? I wanted a truck and that is kind of like a truck.
Buy it, great little trucks. Other than being really drat slow and rusting faster than any other vehicle I've seen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So, are there really no rules to set up a GoFundMe? This worthless dude I know set one up because his house is in foreclosure, nevermind he dropped a few grand on a trip to Universal Studios and a ton of Harry Potter poo poo in the fall.

Edit: It's that same beard pride guy I posted before, this is pretty fantastic that since September he's raise $130 because everyone knows what lazy guy he is.

http://www.gofundme.com/dysbsc

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Feb 10, 2015

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

So, are there really no rules to set up a GoFundMe? This worthless dude I know set one up because his house is in foreclosure, nevermind he dropped a few grand on a trip to Universal Studios and a ton of Harry Potter poo poo in the fall.

Edit: It's that same beard pride guy I posted before, this is pretty fantastic that since September he's raise $130 because everyone knows what lazy guy he is.

http://www.gofundme.com/dysbsc

Why do people get the middle of there forehead pierced. That's like an instant sign for "Hey im a fucknob"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SouthsideSaint posted:

Why do people get the middle of there forehead pierced. That's like an instant sign for "Hey im a fucknob"

It's usually a sign of "I never want to be employed in the public eye ever again."

He's a "professional" piercer. In what's considered the worst tattoo place in town.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Rhyno posted:

Pull it out and post a picture of the back here, somebody will know the answer in minutes.

Alright, luckily Ford made the radio the easiest thing ever to remove on the Explorer.

Front:

Back:

And here's the back of the original unit that came with the car:

Most research I did said to use the PIE FRDN-AUX adapter, but apparently the company that made those no longer exists, and every other adapter out there is for a 2006+

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I was so tired when I got home last night that I had... 3 beers. Compared to my usual ~12.

A little shaky today, but I've had a lot of energy. Went running (well, more like brief spurts of jogging followed by walking and gasping for air), used stepdad's rowing machine (and beat his record time), and was just productive overall. Going to try not to drink tonight; if I wind up getting really shaky, I still have half a bottle of Librium to get me through the withdrawal.

I have a campus tour scheduled with one of those I.T. schools :smith: - more because I can't get financial aid for any kind of actual degree (thanks to the cap on maximum hours you can attempt). I need a change in direction, and it's supposed to be a 6-9 month program. Long commute (almost 2 hours by train, about an hour and a half by car unless traffic is perfect), but I need to get out of this food service poo poo. I plan to ask a lot of questions about total actual cost, I don't want to rack up $50k in debt.

... even though I'm averaging about $15-20/hour at this place, and not using much gas. I still have to set aside enough for tires and general maintenance, and I know I'm going to need a clutch at some point. I already need motor mounts and a thermostat, and I know it's just going to need more work as it ages.

The closest community college doesn't let you do financial aid for continuing education; another one does, but there's a lot of hoops to jump through. Still going to fill out my FAFSA and see which one makes the most financial sense.

BraveUlysses posted:

Well you need to look at your w2 deductions for FICA and compare '13 to '14. A lot of people forget to adjust their withholdings once they start earning more money, and this can lead to a shock if some of your earnings creep into a higher bracket.

This is what bit me. That, and I didn't keep track of my YTD tips, and my employer didn't report YTD tips on my paychecks (Papa John's and Jet's both do), so I had picked up a 2nd job, thinking I was barely going to break 12k. Turns out I made 18k, and wound up owing because my insurance subsidy was based on a lower amount.

ExplodingSims posted:

Get an in-line FM Modulator (plugs into the antenna input). Tune it to the modulator's station when you want to listen to it. Done. Don't get the ones that don't directly connect to the antenna input.

Also, a Zune in 2005? :what:

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ExplodingSims posted:

Alright, luckily Ford made the radio the easiest thing ever to remove on the Explorer.

Most research I did said to use the PIE FRDN-AUX adapter, but apparently the company that made those no longer exists, and every other adapter out there is for a 2006+

Those adapters cost as much as a cheap Head Unit with an aux port built in.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

some texas redneck posted:

I bought it like 5 years ago and it's just been my dedicated music player sitting on my desk. I figure I'd let it get some fresh air. :v:

Ozmiander posted:

Those adapters cost as much as a cheap Head Unit with an aux port built in.

Yeah, but I hate pretty much all aftermarket head units. I don't like touchscreen ones, and every other one looks cheap, doesn't match anything else in the car, and looks like the aftermath of a neon bukkake orgy, so I'd perfectly fine with spending extra to keep the factory head unit.

TL;DR: MY INTERIOR AESTHETICS :goonsay:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Like I said... in-line FM modulator. Run the aux input cable to your glove box or center console or somewhere convenient. Done. It won't sound as good as an actual aux input, but it'll sound like you're sitting right under the radio station's transmission tower.

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-FM-MOD02-Universal-Modulator-Satellite/dp/B001QBG614

edit: That adapter is still available even though the company is gone, it's just expensive. It'll give the best sound quality from the stock radio though.

Also, you suggested you've swapped the stereo out for one from another Ford? Look for an adapter for the car that the donor stereo came from. It looks like you need a different one depending on if there's a satellite button or not.

I loving hate how my single DIN Pioneer looks, enough that it's getting yanked and replaced with a touch screen unit (Pioneer as well).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 10, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Hey. You shut your filthy mouth. If I hadn't lost mine the last time I moved, I'd still be using that sucker as my dedicated in-car MP3 player.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mine took flying lessons on a delivery when the audio cable got tabled up with a pizza bag. :smith: Had a new battery and HDD in it too, but it broke the 3.5mm jack on it... and the ~6 month old HDD.

They really were great MP3 players for their time. These days I just use ~the cloud~ and Google Play Music.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Mine took flying lessons on a delivery when the audio cable got tabled up with a pizza bag. :smith: Had a new battery and HDD in it too, but it broke the 3.5mm jack on it... and the ~6 month old HDD.

They really were great MP3 players for their time. These days I just use ~the cloud~ and Google Play Music.

I'm like one of three people who bought a Zune HD, but it's held up pretty well. The software is outdated, but the player itself still works great, and sounds great so I can't complain.
I don't really want to upgrade to an I-anything and I have a bit of music on my phone, but the Zune is great for music around the house.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Mine was the original 1st generation Zune.

I have absolutely zero music on my phone, but I have nearly 100 gigs of music stored on Google Play, coupled with unlimited data. My head unit also has a USB input for flash drives and the like, so if I know I'm going to be somewhere without data coverage, I can load up the 16GB SD card from my camera and use a SD to USB reader (or hell, even plug it into my phone with a USB OTG cable - same one I use to sync my glucose meter to the phone - but then I can't charge it).

The one thing I really hate about Nexus devices - no SD slot. I'm stuck with 16 gigs forever on this phone, and apps/photos/etc take up almost all of that.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I still use my iPod Video 5.5 gen. I've replaced the battery x2, switched the HDD to a micro SD, and replaced the headphone jack. As long as I can still replace parts, I'm going to keep it running.

I also have a Sansa Clip+. It's great for a budget mp3 player.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Everybody watch this channel. I'm choosing this video because it's more crazy than his normal ones, but he generally takes apart power tools and looks into the engineering of them. Here, he's having fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-L5Xqn8LP0

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm assuming all the quick cuts were for breaks to take a shot of tequila.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Most of his videos go quite in-depth with machining, electricity, etc. I just chose that one for fun.

Maybe it was posted in this thread (?) but this was my gateway video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWH5bfpivSU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

I bought it like 5 years ago and it's just been my dedicated music player sitting on my desk. I figure I'd let it get some fresh air. :v:

Yeah, but I hate pretty much all aftermarket head units. I don't like touchscreen ones, and every other one looks cheap, doesn't match anything else in the car, and looks like the aftermath of a neon bukkake orgy, so I'd perfectly fine with spending extra to keep the factory head unit.

TL;DR: MY INTERIOR AESTHETICS :goonsay:

I put a Blaupunkt Sydney in my 86 Crown Vic and it doesn't look out of place. I'm phone posting or else I'd add a pic... Check the CV thread from 2014 for pics.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING MINIATURE POODLES

We have been dogsitting two since Thursday afternoon and we're already rapidly approaching the total number of in-house 'accidents' we had while house training our lab mutt.

One of them can apparently jump vertically high enough to get onto the tables and counters, too.

On the plus side they bark all night long so when we're awake they spend a large chunk of the time asleep.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I have a collection of zune flash/HDs. They are great MP3 players for cars.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I hate this time of year... Its to drat cold to do much then one nice day I bust out a bunch of work then hurt all day because its cold... Joints... Etc.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

ExplodingSims posted:

Front:

Back:

And here's the back of the original unit that came with the car:

Yeah sorry it looks like I left that at my parents' house at Christmas. I can have them mail it to me, and then mail it on, but it's not going to be something I can turn around this week. Still have any interest?

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
I scored a brand new in box basic battery charger and a jump box, but the jump box was missing the charge adapter. Hooked up a 12v 1amp charger and a light turned on, but in 4 hours the level still showed low. Looks like the original was 12v @2.1 amps.

I then did something dumb.

I found a 15v 5amp laptop battery charger and hooked that up. Seemed to be working but then it started smelling funny. Moved it outside after unplugging it and now all the status LEDs are lit. I think I may have let out the blue smoke :(

Any ideas if you can charge a jump box through the big cables you hook up to a battery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Raluek posted:

Yeah sorry it looks like I left that at my parents' house at Christmas. I can have them mail it to me, and then mail it on, but it's not going to be something I can turn around this week. Still have any interest?

yeah, sure, if you don't want it I'll gladly take it.

• Locked thread