Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

thathonkey posted:

Dang beck is only 44? He looked like a skeleton last night. So morning phase isnt that great? I was gonna give it a listen today because i generally like beck but i honesty had no idea he was still makin records :shrug: thanks grammy's!!!

Yeah I pretty much hate Morning Phase. Beck hasn't been doing much lately, though, which is probably what gave you that impression. His last record was Modern Guilt, which was out in '08 and while it didn't do anything really special I thought it was pretty solid. Between that and Morning Phase he just kind of did a bunch of weird side stuff, like producing a handful of albums for the likes of Charlotte Gainsbourg and Stephen Malkmus, writing the music that Scott Pilgrim's garage band plays in the Scott Pilgrim movie, and an album he released as a book of sheet music.

Ye's performances last night were golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
You'd think someone who raps and talks almost exclusively about how the world doesn't give him and his their due wouldn't be as shocked that something as dumb as the Grammy's "gets it wrong" but here we are again. Morning Phase isn't good but I can see why it'd be a fashionable choice. If I was Beyonce I'd be loving concerned about my own music if I won a bunch of these things every drat year.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

echronorian posted:

I can't believe Beck got a loving anything for that album and I'm a fan

Morning Phase winning came out of absolutely nowhere because it's neither good (well, not great, anyways) nor has any hype around it whatsoever. I feel like everyone forgot it existed a week after it came out. Even Beck himself said "Oh no don't worry guys I still have a REAL album coming out soon"

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I'll just pretend it's a retcon award for Sea Change.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'll just pretend it's a retcon award for Sea Change.

It seemed like a recognition award more than anything to be honest. Like oh right Beck still exists I guess.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Yeah like Becks made great music and nothing else in this category is worth much so lets give it to Beck for his career IE Return of the King getting all the academy awards when The Two Towers was a better film.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
http://m.pitchfork.com/news/58437-k...eck-at-grammys/

Tay-Swift and Kanye planning to work together.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
remember when Kanye wasn't a gimmick?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Taylor Swift and Beck are both gigantic dumbasses for saying anything even remotely encouraging this. For him as much as us. If Kanye wants to remind the whole world he's the last person in America who thinks the Grammy's are about art all he has to do is take two steps outside the door and start talking. Or yelling if he wants to make sure it's on every tv in America for the next week.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C-3Oik6rBg

Ye's about to take the stage to perform at this Roc Nation event in NYC. It's being live streamed.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Ye showed up a good minute and a half late to his own song lol

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
So far we've had Kanye being late to his own show, and then someone charging the stage.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

THIS THE poo poo I DO LIKE

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I like the new(?) synths in this version of Cold

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

drat, he brought out the whole GOOD Music crew for Mercy :staredog:

This owns.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
oh shiiiiii pusha????

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Trap Queen :stare:

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
they keep Ye's mic 60% louder than anyone elses lol

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I Don't gently caress With You now. This ain't a Yeezy show so much as a Yeezy's crew show but I'm still enjoying this quite a bit.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

echronorian posted:

they keep Ye's mic 60% louder than anyone elses lol

still has better audio than what I'd expect from a rap show in NYC :v:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

poo poo, Blessings is pretty hot. I hadn't heard that one yet.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

ahaha what even hosed up so bad that he ran it back? I missed something

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

lol what

He just restarted Blood on the Leaves as soon as the intro ended :psyduck:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Is uhhhh......is that it? Haha that ended kind of abruptly.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

It was always set to be 8-9 I think. probably hard to go over when you're playing in Madison Square Park tbh

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Didn't see it posted here, so here's a new track with Sia and Vic Mensa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEYaLzRDyIA

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I think if that had been trimmed to like a minute or two long intro track (including Sia's part) which then led right into the second track which features Ye spitting some mad rhymes, it could've been powerful as gently caress. But in this form, it sounds way overlong and I keep wanting to hear it leading to something much more powerful (which it sounds like it obviously should) but it never does.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I think if that had been trimmed to like a minute or two long intro track (including Sia's part) which then led right into the second track which features Ye spitting some mad rhymes, it could've been powerful as gently caress. But in this form, it sounds way overlong and I keep wanting to hear it leading to something much more powerful (which it sounds like it obviously should) but it never does.

I feel like this is probably going to be killer as an album opener, leading into whatever track 2 is. I wish there were more drums, but I really love the sparse, eerie atmosphere.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

HorseRenoir posted:

Didn't see it posted here, so here's a new track with Sia and Vic Mensa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEYaLzRDyIA

Another bad song (which starts at ~8:25 in this link)

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

HorseRenoir posted:

So not feeling any part of this. Oh well

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

net cafe scandal posted:

So not feeling any part of this. Oh well

Really? It sounds like a perfect lead-in track, I just want them to announce when the album is finally coming out.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

lol what

He just restarted Blood on the Leaves as soon as the intro ended :psyduck:

He did that at Bonnaroo too.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Really? It sounds like a perfect lead-in track, I just want them to announce when the album is finally coming out.

I think you're deluding yourself a bit maybe so here is a reminder what good lead-in tracks sound like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnrLXDYnS6c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M37VucWh06Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N29WWcLmgzQ

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
The sad trombrone playing a single note while people dressed as chic hobos stare into the abyss is a nice touch. Pretty different for a fashion show AFAIK. Song seems good from what I can tell.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

It would be cool if it wasn't 5 minutes long

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I really dig the song

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm still at a point where I haven't liked a single track they've shown off.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I like the track, and I feel like I'll like it a lot more at CD quality. Getting really excited for the album.

bubblelubble
Feb 26, 2013

scribbled out the truth,
paying in naivety.
I didn't mind the song, but what the gently caress was I just watching for five minutes before that? :confused:

(Also totally just resisted the urge to make a "FourFive-minutes" joke, nailed it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I hope all that distortion and fuzz on the bass is accidental, I hate that buzzing so, so much.

• Locked thread