Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
How would the bow stay curved if it were unstrung? It would have to be a fake bow at that point, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

Colonial Air Force posted:

How would the bow stay curved if it were unstrung? It would have to be a fake bow at that point, right?

Depending on the specific bow shape, the curve on the limbs might not be coming strictly from the tension on the string. Recurve bows at least curve in and then back out as part of their construction whether strung or not.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
This is what a recurve looks like unstrung (bad picture, but it works).

So it would look off, but if someone was asked to unstring their bow it would at least still look okay. I've never seen a cosplayer with a real bow at a convention, but again, different conventions have different rules. It's just safer to not have one strung up, especially if you leave it somewhere and someone decides to dry fire it. I left the bow in the picture alone for five minutes after stringing it for the first time and someone dry fired it twice (fortunately it's okay!). Having a bow strung in a convention with tons of people just seems like a really bad idea to me.

Actual content that I hope hasn't been posted yet:

Edgar Allen Ho

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It seems to me that it'd be pretty easy to machine some aluminium bar into the shape of bow arms and bend them into permanent 'strung' shape and then use some weak elastic instead of actual bowstring so you could pose with a 'drawn' bow which has absolutely zero chance of firing arrows. But I guess technically you'd still be walking around the convention floor with a 4' long metal bar which might contravene strict weapons rules.

Zortzico
Jul 3, 2007

We're Just Running In The 90's

veedubfreak posted:

Is the hipster mustache part of the costume?

The Diddler.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I want to say I'd would watch a Rambo where he's a fat, homeless person that goes on a killing rampage, but that's way too realistic.
:smith:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Android Bicyclist posted:

I want to say I'd would watch a Rambo where he's a fat, homeless person that goes on a killing rampage, but that's way too realistic.

Well other than not being fat, that sort of is the premise of Rambo.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

There's always Hobo with a Shotgun.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

God drat that is some detailed work. Worbla maybe? Can't see foam being used for that.

Love that axe.

She in the UK somewhere? There's a weird outlet on the wall. Is worbla cheaper over there? I rarely see foam builds from overseas.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

God drat that is some detailed work. Worbla maybe? Can't see foam being used for that.

Love that axe.

She in the UK somewhere? There's a weird outlet on the wall. Is worbla cheaper over there? I rarely see foam builds from overseas.

I think that's Kamui. She's German and does amazing work.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

veedubfreak posted:

Is the hipster mustache part of the costume?

Yup. Figured I'd go with something different.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

foxatee posted:

I think that's Kamui. She's German and does amazing work.

Yeah, that's Kamui.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

This is basically the plot of The Exterminator if you add in a flame thrower.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It seems to me that it'd be pretty easy to machine some aluminium bar into the shape of bow arms and bend them into permanent 'strung' shape and then use some weak elastic instead of actual bowstring so you could pose with a 'drawn' bow which has absolutely zero chance of firing arrows. But I guess technically you'd still be walking around the convention floor with a 4' long metal bar which might contravene strict weapons rules.

My wife did Katniss at DragonCon last year with a strung recurve. We pulled the string through a length of silver painted flexible copper tubing (like you'd use for the ice maker in a fridge). Couldn't nock an arrow (which also weren't removable from the quiver) and you couldn't draw without the ends of the bow hitting the copper tube.

It wasn't perfect but it was good enough to consider 'deactivated'.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Upon seeing this, some girls kill one another hoping to appease Slenderman & Slenderboy.

vv you're right, but for the sake of equality let us call it "Slenderchild" vv

Stringbean has a new favorite as of 12:26 on Feb 12, 2015

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Slendergirl, surely?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Had a thought on how to explain cosplay to the outside person.

Cosplay is equivalent to pretending you're your favorite sports star.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
A proposal to change the timeslot of Simpsons reruns in Bolivia sparked a march with 2,000 protesters, some of them in costume. I like the guy dressed as Poochie about 30 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bDLVV3MJqM

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Hadaka Apron posted:

A proposal to change the timeslot of Simpsons reruns in Bolivia sparked a march with 2,000 protesters, some of them in costume. I like the guy dressed as Poochie about 30 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bDLVV3MJqM

I...what?

what?!

A protest over a rerun timeslot??

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Please tell me it was Classic Simpsons reruns.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Choco1980 posted:

I...what?

what?!

A protest over a rerun timeslot??

If it's anything like here (Denmark) Simpsons has been running 2-4 episodes a day in the same timeslot on the same channel since at least the mid-90s. People get weird about tradition like that.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Elvira is always such a lazy choice but I will never complain about seeing people wear it.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Elvira is always such a lazy choice but I will never complain about seeing people wear it.

I have no argument against this.

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

That hair ain't lazy.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

That tier set has more armor to it than that. :argh:

the fact that I noticed that before the attractive lady is probably why I'm dying alone

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Vanderdeath posted:

That tier set has more armor to it than that. :argh:

the fact that I noticed that before the attractive lady is probably why I'm dying alone

I'm doing this to make you feel better. Jeese the European are poo poo at cosplay. (look at the plug)

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
I'll take this opportunity to repost some of Elvira's own "cosplay" (:iceburn: warning)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I'll take this opportunity to repost some of Elvira's own "cosplay" (:iceburn: warning)
That was an answer to this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57gb1OZGcLk

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

I'm just gonna assume she's made a deal with the devil, because she sure as hell doesn't look like any 63 year old woman I've ever seen. I mean, I'm sure makeup and good lighting helps but that poo poo's only gonna go so far.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

The Mentalizer posted:

I'm just gonna assume she's made a deal with the devil, because she sure as hell doesn't look like any 63 year old woman I've ever seen. I mean, I'm sure makeup and good lighting helps but that poo poo's only gonna go so far.

I saw her in person briefly at a con about 4 years back, sans makeup and in harsh lighting. She's a goddamn immortal.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
She's... I don't know how to explain it, but she's damned near identical to when I saw her when I was a wee lad only like, 30 years ago.

Her daughter is pretty much the spitting image of her too.

I'm still a little in love with her, she was my first crush :allears:

I just KNEW when I was like 6 and watching TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE and her on channel 11 on the tv that I'd grow up and marry her and we'd live in a spooky castle with coffins and poo poo and she would totally give me a hug and bake me cookies like a good wife would. :kiddo:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It amazes me there are people who think Hannah Minx wasn't doing her stuff deliberately.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Wow, that Elvira video comes off as super-mean.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I'm still a little in love with her, she was my first crush :allears:

I just KNEW when I was like 6 and watching TALES FROM THE DARKSIDE and her on channel 11 on the tv that I'd grow up and marry her and we'd live in a spooky castle with coffins and poo poo and she would totally give me a hug and bake me cookies like a good wife would. :kiddo:

You and me both, buddy.

Choco1980 posted:

I saw her in person briefly at a con about 4 years back, sans makeup and in harsh lighting. She's a goddamn immortal.

See, that's what I mean. Makeup and lighting can do a lot but it won't make someone look like they're decades younger than they are. It's just uncanny that she still looks that good.

the future is WOW has a new favorite as of 00:50 on Feb 15, 2015

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MurBuUcY2vE

This cosplay just put a huge smile on my face :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Oh my god. :buddy:

I hope people got to keep their little gifts.

• Locked thread