Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phongn
Oct 21, 2006

Godholio posted:

Short answer: metallurgy, insane tolerances, and quality control, all of which are difficult to replicate without a long time of trial and error. Basically China started down this path decades after everyone else, and just stealing blueprints doesn't give you the full leg up to make up that gap.
They did pretty much reverse-engineer the F101 core from the CFM56 engines they bought into the WS-10. That's pretty good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Speaking of airplanes and skydivers...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBemWsiZAck
:stare:

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I wanna see a sky diver hop out of a plane and while falling have the plane get under him and the sky diver enter the plane again while still in free fall.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

I wanna see a sky diver hop out of a plane and while falling have the plane get under him and the sky diver enter the plane again while still in free fall.

As you wish http://youtu.be/GGphGbJool4

Tsuru
May 12, 2008

Colonial Air Force posted:

I mean from the pilot's perspective, the only complicated thing about it in this situation was that it was still on.

Except it wasn't. But the crew thought it was. And technically it was (armed) I think, but it did nothing because despite all the tricks the 777 has just for this situation, they had mis-used FLCH mode to 0 feet to get on the glidepath from above.

Apparently for some crews it gets very very confusing when they only ever do autolands and suddenly they are stuck without a G/S.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Colonial Air Force posted:

I mean from the pilot's perspective, the only complicated thing about it in this situation was that it was still on.

Why do you think it's not complicated from the pilot's perspective?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Spaced God posted:

Speaking of airplanes and skydivers...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBemWsiZAck
:stare:

Hadn't seen that before. Looks like maybe a Piper Malibu/Meridian? It wouldn't surprise me. Worst. pilots. ever.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
http://youtu.be/omHAE9yPg58

Helicopter launching a jet suit skydiver guy gets a warning horn and the passenger (wearing a chute) is like "gently caress this!" at about 4:15.

galliumscan
Dec 25, 2006

Dammit, Jim, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! No, wait...
Nice example of keeping your head and flying the plane (helicopter).

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Yea I like to see examples where a commercial pilot has a doubt and takes the most conservative response to keep the aircraft safe. It's easy on the .mil side since the taxpayers are not as involved as shareholders, I hate to think about the airline pilots who have to think "if I turn around and I'm wrong I might be fired."

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

holocaust bloopers posted:

Pretty much this. Hell even Russia lags behind the West as well.

And even with "the West," the only people who can make engines worth a drat are P&W (lol), GE, R-R, and Snecma. There's a reason that other countries that build fighters (Sweden) or airliners (Brazil) license, buy, or otherwise utilize engines from one of those manufacturers (or a consortium where one or more of those companies has the lead).

Alternatively:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHl6yPL0800

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm8iV_uiBsI

This was in the related videos to the one I just posted. My god that guy's voice at 2:06 is the most pilot thing I have ever heard.

Odd trivia: The AH-64 aircrew training manual actually has a maneuver designed to show off that these semi-rigid rotor limits don't exist in a fully articulated rotor head by forcing you to cyclic climb at 2+ Gs then nose it over at about 0G. Anything to make your traffic pattern a little more spicy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm8iV_uiBsI

This was in the related videos to the one I just posted. My god that guy's voice at 2:06 is the most pilot thing I have ever heard.

Odd trivia: The AH-64 aircrew training manual actually has a maneuver designed to show off that these semi-rigid rotor limits don't exist in a fully articulated rotor head by forcing you to cyclic climb at 2+ Gs then nose it over at about 0G. Anything to make your traffic pattern a little more spicy.

that was like watching a cricket match

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
Rotor separation must be avoided at all costs.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

iyaayas01 posted:

And even with "the West," the only people who can make engines worth a drat are P&W (lol), GE, R-R, and Snecma. There's a reason that other countries that build fighters (Sweden) or airliners (Brazil) license, buy, or otherwise utilize engines from one of those manufacturers (or a consortium where one or more of those companies has the lead).

Yeah. Back in the 40's and 50's there were some efforts to develop an indigenous Swedish jet engine business, though. The company working on it, STAL (Svenska Turbinfabriks AB Ljungström; these days the remnants of the business is a company called Siemens Industrial Turbomachinery) had a pretty long history in the power generation business and - among other things - built turbines for a number of power plants, both in Sweden and elsewhere. They had a working engine that they test flew on a surplus Lancaster in the early 50's, but it was too small for the Draken and the air force decided they couldn't wait for an indigenous engine and went to Rolls-Royce instead. I remember reading in some book about the Draken that the planned engine would've been better than the Rolls-Royce Avon if it had been built, but who knows, paper projects are very unreliable creatures and considering they had no real previous experience... Either way, since the air force had been the main financier of the jet engine experiments STAL got out of that business and that was that. Even if they had succeeded, though, they would probably have been swallowed up by one of the big players pretty quickly.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 9, 2015

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

vessbot posted:

Rotor separation must be avoided at all costs.

This seems like sound advice.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

That's not the same plane though. I was trying to think of the conflicting design requirements for a plane that could both execute that kind of maneuver and also have a big door to egress/board skydivers. I hadn't thought about drogue chutes though, that's pretty clever.

The Locator posted:

This seems like sound advice.

One of my favorite parts of the Wright-Patterson Air Force Museum is the 1910's poster describing how to deal with an engine failure:

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

One of my favorite parts of the Wright-Patterson Air Force Museum is the 1910's poster describing how to deal with an engine failure:

This is still pretty much true, sadly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ri66ZBObnM

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

Wingnut Ninja posted:

That's not the same plane though. I was trying to think of the conflicting design requirements for a plane that could both execute that kind of maneuver and also have a big door to egress/board skydivers. I hadn't thought about drogue chutes though, that's pretty clever.

Good point, I didn't think of that the video is slightly different than the challenge posted. But the way I see it, same plane should be easier and not harder than one plane to another.

The video showed the ability to rendezvous and fly formation with a plane to such an accuracy as to be able to get in the door. Given that, I don't see any increased challenge then getting out, flying formation, and getting back in.

Unless you're talking about dropping the jumper from level flight, and then picking him back up after establishing the dive. Then yeah, that looks to be harder without a second plane pre-positioned exactly where they know the easiest maneuvering will happen from.

quote:

What do the smaller text boxes say?

vessbot fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 9, 2015

acktomic
Feb 9, 2015
Totally random but are any of you guys friends with the user " A Melted Tarp"

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Dude is Anders in the cockpit.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0I75OZmA-0

Found this while cruising around in the related videos.

e: also, fighter pilots don't have a monopoly on stupidly low passes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo4LlpFs-5M&t=34s

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 9, 2015

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Having recently visited Germany and being presented with the infamous 'inspection shelf' in every toilet I used, I'm wondering whether on German airlines like Lufthansa the in-flight toilet has this as a special extra as well ?

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Baconroll posted:

Having recently visited Germany and being presented with the infamous 'inspection shelf' in every toilet I used, I'm wondering whether on German airlines like Lufthansa the in-flight toilet has this as a special extra as well ?

While I've never witnessed the proverbial "poop shelf" on a Lufthansa aircraft, pretty much every aircraft toilet lets you take a close look at your issue.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Just look at those crumple zones at work!

dev/null
Dec 8, 2004

This custom title is not tax-deductible

TheFluff posted:

Yeah. Back in the 40's and 50's there were some efforts to develop an indigenous Swedish jet engine business, though. The company working on it, STAL (Svenska Turbinfabriks AB Ljungström; these days the remnants of the business is a company called Siemens Industrial Turbomachinery) had a pretty long history in the power generation business and - among other things - built turbines for a number of power plants, both in Sweden and elsewhere. They had a working engine that they test flew on a surplus Lancaster in the early 50's, but it was too small for the Draken and the air force decided they couldn't wait for an indigenous engine and went to Rolls-Royce instead. I remember reading in some book about the Draken that the planned engine would've been better than the Rolls-Royce Avon if it had been built, but who knows, paper projects are very unreliable creatures and considering they had no real previous experience... Either way, since the air force had been the main financier of the jet engine experiments STAL got out of that business and that was that. Even if they had succeeded, though, they would probably have been swallowed up by one of the big players pretty quickly.

What contributed to the demise, was how the British suddenly allowed export of the Avon, thus preventing another European engine manufacturer establishing.

I was told that the maintenace hatches on the SAAB Lansen are all slightly misplaced, since the fuselage was originally designed with the STAL "Dovern" in mind.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TheFluff posted:

e: also, fighter pilots don't have a monopoly on stupidly low passes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo4LlpFs-5M&t=34s

This reminds me of the times when I was in the adirondack mtns and military pilots would buzz 13th lake to the point of leaving wakes. (Can't remember the type of planes)

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

Dude is Anders in the cockpit.

Isn't he though? Fully torqued, bro.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Wheeeeeeee

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Thank you for this

freelop posted:

Wheeeeeeee

freshmeat.popsicle
Dec 25, 2011
glorious gif.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Good job to the U.S. Airways flight crew for safely managing this landing gear failure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRsocl8zH7M
http://abc13.com/news/us-airways-flight-makes-emergency-landing-without-nose-gear-at-iah/511101/

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Kudos especially for flying and landing the airplane instead of getting caught up in trying to fix the problem then flying into the ground.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Or shutting down the engines for "reasons."

Here's a brief report on a situation where a FedEx flight crew was injured during a laser illumination event on approach:

http://avherald.com/h?article=48189254&opt=1

quote:

A Fedex Federal Express Airbus A300-600, registration N691FE performing flight FX-386 from Memphis,TN to Albuquerque,NM (USA), was on approach to Albuquerque's runway 03 when a laser beam illuminated the cockpit causing eye injuries to both of the pilots. The crew managed a safe landing on runway 03 nonetheless.

The FAA reported both pilots were taken to hospital with eye injuries.

Tell your friends! Shining lasers at aircraft is a felony. They find people who do this, occasionally, and the prison times are not lenient.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtKSdy2KAW4

The Ferret King fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 10, 2015

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

The Ferret King posted:

Tell your friends! Shining lasers at aircraft is a felony. They find people who do this, occasionally, and the prison times are not lenient.

They find those guys a lot actually, any time a pilot calls out that they got lazed whichever PD is closest almost always buzzes their chopper over there to catch them if they have one.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I would not want to take a ride on that rear slide. I imagine people had a good amount of speed vs the front door.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

freelop posted:

Wheeeeeeee

What always amazes me about this is how little distance is covered after the contact.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

The Ferret King posted:

Or shutting down the engines for "reasons."

Here's a brief report on a situation where a FedEx flight crew was injured during a laser illumination event on approach:

http://avherald.com/h?article=48189254&opt=1
Have there ever been cases where pilots were actually injured by consumer laser devices, versus being dazzled and seeking medical attention just in case? In theory it should be very difficult to cause yourself an eye injury from a consumer laser held in your own hand, much less to an aircraft in flight, though of course military and industrial lasers make this easy. There are vendors selling lasers that are illegally powerful and consumers modifying their lasers to illegal power levels, but the idea that <5mw lasers (even green) can cause eye injuries to pilots (versus just being unsafe because they can interfere and distract at a critical phase of flight) seems like an urban legend.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

pik_d posted:

What always amazes me about this is how little distance is covered after the contact.

I'm not a plane guy, but the article says Cessna so I think that's a 170 based on a bit of searching.

Assuming wiki's right and I'm interpreting gross weight properly that's up to 2200 lbs, but since they were doing touch and goes it's probably not exactly running heavy. The article says it happened right as they were going back up, so they were presumably accelerating. I have no idea what the takeoff speed is in such a plane, but stall speed is 52 MPH so maybe 60-65 MPH?

If we assume 2000 lbs and 60 MPH, when the plane nosed in to the ground it was roughly comparable to running a first-gen Miata in to a deep ditch and flipping over at back road speeds.

I've put a small pickup in to a ditch in a kind of similar way and it came to a stop in about the same distance from impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Alereon posted:

Have there ever been cases where pilots were actually injured by consumer laser devices, versus being dazzled and seeking medical attention just in case? In theory it should be very difficult to cause yourself an eye injury from a consumer laser held in your own hand, much less to an aircraft in flight, though of course military and industrial lasers make this easy. There are vendors selling lasers that are illegally powerful and consumers modifying their lasers to illegal power levels, but the idea that <5mw lasers (even green) can cause eye injuries to pilots (versus just being unsafe because they can interfere and distract at a critical phase of flight) seems like an urban legend.
I could have swore I read a news article where a pilot went on LTD.. but be damned if I can find it. Maybe I was mistaken. :shrug:

I am imagining taking an eyeball full of laser into a fully dilated pupil probably feels something like welders flash, not that I'm eager to experience it.