Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I love it when people swerve without looking into oncoming traffic to get around a bicyclist...only to have the bike pass them a few seconds later at a red light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FogHelmut posted:

I'm driving in the right lane of a 3 lane road doing the speed limit with the rest of the daytime traffic, and in the middle lane there is an Infiniti doing about 5 under and swerving around within the confines of the lane. Of course since we are having a lovely wintry mix of snow/sleet/rain today, this car is obviously grey and does not have the lights on. As I pass and look over, I see a girl who is way too young to afford this car on her own leaning forward with her body about 6" from the steering wheel, and her iPhone in her right hand directly in front of her mouth as she operates it like a walkie-talkie. A few car lengths after I pass, I see her in the rear view cutting across 2 lanes of traffic, almost hitting a car in each of those lanes, to cut across the solid white line barely making the exit for the onramp to the turnpike.

Besides the people who somehow think that speakerphone is a legal way to use the phone in the car being crazy in the first place, I don't comprehend why they aren't using the Bluetooth built in to their modern vehicles.

Probably for the same reason as the rest of this crap happens: because people who should've been smothered in infancy were allowed to go out in public and also somehow obtain driving licenses.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

DEAR RICHARD posted:

I love it when people swerve without looking into oncoming traffic to get around a bicyclist...only to have the bike pass them a few seconds later at a red light.

From the cyclists point of view this is terrifying too, because the passing car will probably swerve back into the lane before they're completely past. And then people way back in the queue at the light will pull right to the kerb so you can't roll up to the bike box at the front, it's so petty like "I'm not going anywhere so neither are you." :argh:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

DEAR RICHARD posted:

That loving bicyclist is probably going to run the red and nobody will ever ticket his rear end. gently caress bicyclists.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

jammyozzy posted:

From the cyclists point of view this is terrifying too, because the passing car will probably swerve back into the lane before they're completely past. And then people way back in the queue at the light will pull right to the kerb so you can't roll up to the bike box at the front, it's so petty like "I'm not going anywhere so neither are you." :argh:
Or perhaps, "It's unnecessarily dangerous for the both of us if I have to overtake you again in 15 meters"

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW
*enters freeway going 30mph in a Prius*

*cuts across to passing lane with no turn signal immediately*

bellevue.txt

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

I was on my way to Virgina Beach, going over a bridge in Delaware (Google Maps tells me it was the William Roth bridge that crosses the Chesapeake Canal) when I saw a kitten in the center lane.

I wanted to stop and save it but I knew I'd die. That was 10 years ago and I still feel guilty.

You monster, haven't you heard of the park anywhere button???

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

PCOS Bill posted:

That loving bicyclist is probably going to run the red and nobody will ever ticket his rear end. gently caress bicyclists.

Or run me down as I cross the street at the crosswalk with the light. gently caress bicyclists. (This has happened to me twice now)

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Every loving day I ride I see this happen. I'm doing 40 in a 60 zone, not sure why people can't just slow down till it's safe to pass. Instead you get some cock in a BMW swerving around me and forcing an rx8 coming the other way to swerve off the road to avoid a head on collision. Still beats the people that intentionally try to sideswipe me or force me off the road...

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Downtown San Jose we have one-way streets that are two lanes, plus a really wide bike lane, and then parking. Every once in awhile I'll see someone barreling down the bike lane, for more than one block, in order to skip the gridlocked traffic in the travel lanes. I guess they were going to turn right eventually?

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Crotch Fruit posted:

only their idea of controlling traffic was to completely stop the 4 lane main road and only let 1 car from each lane through every other green light.

I used to work in downtown Atlanta, and their traffic management attempts during events were always ridiculous. Usually "traffic management" meant "turn off all the traffic lights in a five-block radius and leave it at that." Once they turned off all of the traffic lights (and left them unmanned) except one light at a completely blind Y-intersection, then they put a cop at that intersection who stood there giving directions completely contrary to the light (and glaring at people when they slowed down to make sure that they weren't going to get clobbered by someone zooming out of the Spring Street tunnel thinking they had a green light).

During the lunch rush, the cops also used to stop traffic in the middle of the block in front of the SunTrust Tower so people could cross the street to go from the Tower to the food court at the Garden Offices building on the other side. Which was absurd not just because they were a hundred feet from an intersection with a crosswalk, but because they were stopping traffic to let people cross directly underneath the enclosed walkway that linked the second floor of both buildings. :cripes:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

HEY VAPER posted:

bellevue.txt

Pretty much normal for Prius drivers anywhere I think, except here they cut all the way across 5 lanes in order to get into the carpool lane because they have an alternative fuel sticker. They of course then puddle along at far slower than the prevailing speed of that lane forcing all of the other drivers in the car pool lane to have to move right to pass them (when the other lanes aren't all clogged up preventing this).

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Flint Ironstag posted:

At a shop I worked at a few years ago, we had a customer who came in asking if changing mufflers on his lifted Jeep would improve gas mileage. Our manager, being a dishonest little turd, said it would. For some reason that I don't remember, we ended up not doing the job.

The thing is, I used to see that Jeep in the area all the time, and the driver was one of those guys who only knows two modes. Full throttle or full brake. Even if he could have gotten his .0002 mpg improvement from just changing his mufflers, which I doubt, he could probably double his economy just by learning how to drive with just a bit of finesse.

Well, to be fair, a loud muffler has the side effect of people not pressing the gas as much since they can hear the engine so much more. They drive and accelerate slower because "more noise = faster" (possibly even subconsciously) and the aftermarket exhaust makes it seem so much more than a quiet stock exhaust would.

I came across this article and it's a lovely situation, although hilarious that the mother of the teen wants to put blame on the stolen vehicle owner because it was too easy to steal.
http://www.wtae.com/news/local/allegheny/14-year-old-driver-crashes-Jeep-on-Parkway-East/16084446

Also, "TOOKEN"

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
She is blaming the owner's boyfriend for calling 911.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

nm posted:

She is blaming the owner's boyfriend for calling 911.

Also mad at the boyfriend for following the kid.

TFA posted:

He had no right to chase my son, which it could have been a situation. [sic] Maybe it could have been just a joyride down the street. Maybe he wanted to go farther than he felt like walking,

Maybe your kid is a shithead?

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Crotch Fruit posted:

There are three loving Mega Church Jessus Loves You, Inc (R) centers all right next to each other and between my house and the highway on ramp.

I used to live near a large church and quickly learned what time on Sunday to either not leave home or wait to come back. The one thing that was entertaining was to walk my dog during church emptying times, go to the top of the hill across the street, and watch as the freshly saved/forgiven commit nearly every bad driver cliche. Red light running, illegal and dangerous turns, horns, middle fingers, the works. Eventually, local police started directing traffic, and my show ended.

Bajaha posted:

Well, to be fair, a loud muffler has the side effect of people not pressing the gas as much since they can hear the engine so much more. They drive and accelerate slower because "more noise = faster" (possibly even subconsciously) and the aftermarket exhaust makes it seem so much more than a quiet stock exhaust would.

I came across this article and it's a lovely situation, although hilarious that the mother of the teen wants to put blame on the stolen vehicle owner because it was too easy to steal.
http://www.wtae.com/news/local/allegheny/14-year-old-driver-crashes-Jeep-on-Parkway-East/16084446

Also, "TOOKEN"

Hmm, hadn't thought of the louder=slower angle, was only thinking of the mechanics of it with no behavior change.

The kid in the article you posted reminds me of another customer. After we had replaced the third broken wheel in a couple of months on a new Mustang GT driven by a high school kid, his daddy was in our shop, being loud and angry because we were obviously selling defective wheels (they were stock and came straight from Ford). I could not have been his sweet little angel falling of the road due to too much aggression combined with too little skill. Luckily for us, the kid was driving the car away. Engine roaring, full smoky burnout mode. Daddy stopped mid rant, and just walked out.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

HEY VAPER posted:

bellevue.txt

Replace Prius with Camry and this was me on Saturday. I was trying to get on the highway and it's a really short entrance ramp. The Camry was only going about 20 and then sped up to about 30 and merged in. I was really lucky that no one was behind me so I could merge in.

I nearly rear ended someone tonight. I was driving home and a car made a left turn. The guy sitting at the street decided this was a good time to turn right in front of me instead of waiting about 0.5 seconds for me to pass. Good thing I was paying attention and was able to hit the brakes in time. Once on the street he only sped up to 30 or 35 so I was still right behind him.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Bajaha posted:

They drive and accelerate slower because "more noise = faster" (possibly even subconsciously) and the aftermarket exhaust makes it seem so much more than a quiet stock exhaust would.

Hell naw, I stomp on the gas every time to hear my glorious exhaust. Especially in tunnels and underpasses and such.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

PT6A posted:

Hell naw, I stomp on the gas every time to hear my glorious exhaust. Especially in tunnels and underpasses and such.

Well, yeah. I'm pretty certain every AI member can appreciate a good exhaust note echoing through a tunnel. Remember, we're talking about the people who use the throttle like an on-off switch while bitching about poor fuel economy. The notion of throttle modulation is completely alien to them.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bajaha posted:

Well, yeah. I'm pretty certain every AI member can appreciate a good exhaust note echoing through a tunnel. Remember, we're talking about the people who use the throttle like an on-off switch while bitching about poor fuel economy. The notion of throttle modulation is completely alien to them.

This is true with some cars. I can't drive my girlfriend's Focus since the petals don't feel all that variable. My Honda may be old but the petals are buttery smooth and give great brake and throttle response.

My dad though, bitched about his Fusion only getting 20MPG but he drives so aggressively. :catstare:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Tonight I went out to run an errand (I run too many errands in the evening.) and as I was getting on the highway (Speed Limit 55) there was a guy in a pickup ahead of me doing 35. Straight onto the highway. The on-ramp continued on for a mile to the next exit making it a three lane road at that point.

So I put my turn signal on and begin passing him. As my front bumper reaches the front door, he suddenly swerves into my lane without looking, then looks to the left, sees me, and lays on his horn.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Protocol7 posted:

This is true with some cars. I can't drive my girlfriend's Focus since the petals don't feel all that variable. My Honda may be old but the petals are buttery smooth and give great brake and throttle response.

My dad though, bitched about his Fusion only getting 20MPG but he drives so aggressively. :catstare:

I blame electronic throttles and non-linear fuel maps that open the butterfly 80% of the way at a quarter pedal. Some of these cars, you try and drive smoothly but the smallest possible foot movement results in the car surging forward until you back off. Then you mash the gas when you actually need power and it barely has any left to give.

All in the name of that "sporty" feel. Give me loving linear throttles for gently caress's sake.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The throttle mapping on DBW cars tends to give you a lot of throttle opening in the first part of the pedal travel and not very much for the rest of the way. The reasoning I've heard is to make cars feel faster or something. You can re-map them on some cars to give a more linear throttle curve though. We did that a lot to Subarus.

efb

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
drive-by-wire is the worst advancement ever made in the automotive field.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

These are the people Americans share their roads with:

http://news.yahoo.com/questions-answers-deadly-crash-involving-bruce-jenner-210142412.html

A driver of a Toyota Prius arbitrarily stopped in the middle of the Pacific Coast Highway, a two-lane winding coastline road, 150 yards away from the nearest stop sign or traffic light. The Prius was subsequently hit at high speed by a Lexus driven by a 70-year old woman whose license had expired in 2007. Following the impact the Lexus swerved to the other side of the road where it was run into by Bruce Jenner, a former Olympic athlete and current second-rung reality TV star, who was towing his dune buggy behind a Cadillac Escalade.

e: her dune buggy. Bruce Jenner is also living as a woman.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 10, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That counts for 'winding' in your part of the world?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It has winding sections and straighter sections. Here's what it looks like up near me:

and I drove the Transfagarasan so I know winding roads :colbert:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Fucknag posted:

I blame electronic throttles and non-linear fuel maps that open the butterfly 80% of the way at a quarter pedal. Some of these cars, you try and drive smoothly but the smallest possible foot movement results in the car surging forward until you back off. Then you mash the gas when you actually need power and it barely has any left to give.

All in the name of that "sporty" feel. Give me loving linear throttles for gently caress's sake.

I thought that was the case. It's really awful. Press the brake like an inch downward and SCREEEEECH as the calipers grab on for dear life.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

PT6A posted:

Probably for the same reason as the rest of this crap happens: because people who should've been smothered in infancy were allowed to go out in public and also somehow obtain driving licenses.

Someone who calls it like it is. I love you. So, so much. Don't ever change. :glomp:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bajaha posted:

"more noise = faster"

This is totally true. If I don't up shift with my mom in the car, she freaks out that I'm driving too fast. If I am speeding in the highest gear and everything is quiet, she has no problems.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

e: a bad post

a primate fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 11, 2015

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The 100% pointless eco mode they've been putting on the Prius reverses everything.. jack poo poo happens until about 85% throttle at which point the car switches into "oh so you actually do want to accelerate? HERE YOU GO" and dumps every single bit of power it has to the tires.

I'm not sure what they were thinking when they added a button for that. There's certainly no engineering reason.. it's pure marketing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

xzzy posted:

The 100% pointless eco mode they've been putting on the Prius reverses everything.. jack poo poo happens until about 85% throttle at which point the car switches into "oh so you actually do want to accelerate? HERE YOU GO" and dumps every single bit of power it has to the tires.

I'm not sure what they were thinking when they added a button for that. There's certainly no engineering reason.. it's pure marketing.

Because the average driver is too useless to control the throttle with enough finesse unless assisted by a computer, I'm guessing.

0rganDonor
Jan 19, 2007

PT6A posted:

Because the average driver is too useless to control the throttle with enough finesse unless assisted by a computer, I'm guessing.

If you drive practically anything after 1988 or so, you can count on having computer assisted throttle control. Even if the linkage is mechanical, the fuel flow isn't.

You want some real fun, try air brakes during inclement weather.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Sagebrush posted:

It has winding sections and straighter sections. Here's what it looks like up near me:

and I drove the Transfagarasan so I know winding roads :colbert:

West of Santa Rosa, north of Bodega Bay?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

xzzy posted:

Honda's Econ mode is similar. It also runs the ac compressor less while idling so it isn't as effective at keeping the car cool.

It's like a button that changes the engine model year back three decades.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

Honda's Econ mode is similar. It also runs the ac compressor less while idling so it isn't as effective at keeping the car cool.

It's like a button that changes the engine model year back three decades.

Hey now, the D/B series had ice cold AC. :colbert:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

bigman.50grand posted:

Maybe your kid is a shithead?
Kid is apparently in a coma and will need plastic surgery.

The moral of this story is that if the owner had shot them, the only change to the situation would be that they still had their car and it would be in one piece.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

Kid is apparently in a coma and will need plastic surgery.

The moral of this story is that if the owner had shot them, the only change to the situation would be that they still had their car and it would be in one piece.

Updated 8:38 PM EDT Aug 13, 2012. The kid's either long-dead or long-learned-his-lesson (whether that be "shaped up" or "is in juvie")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

0rganDonor posted:

If you drive practically anything after 1988 or so, you can count on having computer assisted throttle control. Even if the linkage is mechanical, the fuel flow isn't.

Yeah but fuel injection mapping isn't part of the problem or, indeed, what we're talking about at all (unless you drive a diesel).