Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Is there any way to just copypaste commander scripts? Getting tired of inputting same skellyspam/lightning bolt orders on 10+ battlemages in my armies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Finnish Flasher posted:

Is there any way to just copypaste commander scripts? Getting tired of inputting same skellyspam/lightning bolt orders on 10+ battlemages in my armies

You copy by pressing ctrl+ a number, then you paste by pressing the number you used. Also yes, this means you can save several sets of commands which is pretty useful if you have different battlemages or communions.

As I noticed, the commands you saved are carried over between turns, so you don't even have to re-copy again as long as you remember which number is which commander script.

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
I tried going to a scripted commanders orders and pressing ctrl+1, going to another mage and pressing 1 in his orders but nothing happens. Did I understand wrong?

Got it, ctrl+number on the set of scripts, not where you actually script. Thanks a lot.

Finnish Flasher fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 8, 2015

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014

Fat Samurai posted:

- Thaum 7 for Vengeful Waters, I think my pretender has the biggest Dominion among all the players. :smaug:

This here combined with blood sacrificing and Pangaea's cheap temples is most likely to win you the game, I'd say. It is also worthwhile to get some nice beefy Nature summons like forest trolls. Worm mages are pretty cool too.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Made a simple mod that increases all nations' total cap gem income by 3
https://www.mediafire.com/?faf6l1qnd61mvz4

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
How do the different AI's differ from each other in terms of skills? Do the better AI's just cheat somehow or what does the difficulty level change?

I've been playing just singleplayer so far since I'm still fairly new, how would I go about getting into a game for just noobs?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Finnish Flasher posted:

How do the different AI's differ from each other in terms of skills? Do the better AI's just cheat somehow or what does the difficulty level change?

I've been playing just singleplayer so far since I'm still fairly new, how would I go about getting into a game for just noobs?

AI can be random, defensive, agressive, normal. The defensive type is just a punchbag, so pick normal or agressive.
AI dificulty only changes how much cheats. Normal is same resources as the player, higher is 25% per level above normal.(edit: not sure of the increase of the highest levels, maybe it's even more).

Play six games or so against the AI, then try to play in a noob mp game.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 9, 2015

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Finnish Flasher posted:

If you want a more representative AI, you probably want to use Sombre's AI Recruitment mod, which means they don't get a ton of indie garbage instead of their national troops which are almost always better.

Tougher difficulty levels mean more income and more pretender points.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
I'll put up a newbie game later today probably

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Samog posted:

Make it ea please

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Finnish Flasher posted:

They get bonus resources/gold.

Here's an easy guide to beating the ai on impossible:

1) Research something that inflicts heavy damage from behind a wall of chaff from 50 province defense and/or buffs the chaff.
2) Put 50 province defense plus some mages/archers on your borders with the ai.
3) The AI will throw ~90 unit armies at the provinces over and over, dieing with no losses to your forces.
4) Make sure you have enough temples not to get dom killed.
5) Make sure you have pd stacks on enough thrones not to lose.

What do you after doesnt' really matter. If the AI was human they could easily clear with some mages buffing their troops or casting useful evocations, or even just waiting till they have 300-400 troops rather than just sending in troops piecemeal turn after turn but that never happens. Impossible ai doesn't actually make the ai smart it just gives it more resources.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Skelespam or battlefield wiping evocations are basically nuclear weapons vs the AI. It will never counter them and you will win though it will be a horrible slog through mountains and mountains of garbage chaff.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Applebee123 posted:

What do you after doesnt' really matter. If the AI was human they could easily clear with some mages buffing their troops or casting useful evocations, or even just waiting till they have 300-400 troops rather than just sending in troops piecemeal turn after turn but that never happens. Impossible ai doesn't actually make the ai smart it just gives it more resources.

The AI is pretty stupid, and in specific it doesn't know how to do anything remotely synergistic with magic, but they have thrown at me 300+ units at me before.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Samog posted:

poo poo, I'd love to get in on this. At about fifty hours, I've beaten the AI a couple of times and I still feel like I know exactly dick all about this game.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I would like to apologies to the Dominions 4 community and Flame112 in particular for being a NAP breaker.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

I would like to apologies to the Dominions 4 community and Flame112 in particular for being a NAP breaker.

You're blocking my expansion, by the way. I hope next turn that thing is gone or it is gone anyway, if you get my drift.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Let's just meet our armies on the harbinger.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
breaking naps? god dammit decrepus

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

breaking naps? god dammit decrepus

We don't have any NAPs and that means you are safe.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Holy poo poo taking two or three productivity is an insane boost to resources. It's like playing a totally different game. Order is really loving nice but being able to poo poo out 10+ heavy cav plus some archers is amazing.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Harrower posted:

Holy poo poo taking two or three productivity is an insane boost to resources. It's like playing a totally different game. Order is really loving nice but being able to poo poo out 10+ heavy cav plus some archers is amazing.

It's actually more dependent on start location.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

prod is amazing if you have real cheap real good heavy troops like LA Atlantis, its less good if you don't

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Yeah I have taken Production 3 multiple times and only been able to recruit ~12 decent infantry from my cap. By decent I mean they could fight indeps with ok success and then die to no effect against my neighbors who can make almost as many major bless sacreds.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
If you are gonna play Pythium and Arcoscephale in all your games you should probably have a plan to deal with peoples' sacreds.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Prod is great if you have a plan to use it and can execute that plan. It's very easy to waste your res especially in later turns when you're down to just mages and chaff and don't need 200-res forts. At that point, what matters is what you got out of prod earlier on, or continue getting at say, frontline castles.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Decrepus posted:

We don't have any NAPs and that means you are safe.

nobody is safe with a dishonourable cad who breaks their word about. :dawkins101:

Finnish Flasher
Jul 16, 2008
Im using a couple nation-mods and for some reason I now have one nation (Ledan) with another nation's name (Muspelheim) in the game.
I tried to have them both in the game but Muspelheim seems completely missing, anyone know what might cause this?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Finnish Flasher posted:

Im using a couple nation-mods and for some reason I now have one nation (Ledan) with another nation's name (Muspelheim) in the game.
I tried to have them both in the game but Muspelheim seems completely missing, anyone know what might cause this?

They might be set to the same nation slot.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
If you open the mod .dm file with notepad and search for something that assigns a number to a nation in both mods, maybe like

quote:

#selectnation 53
and make sure the numbers are different in both mods and it should work I think?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Are jaguar frogs worth summoning? They have poison skin now.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

amuayse posted:

Are jaguar frogs worth summoning? They have poison skin now.

Doesn't Poison Skin only trigger against reach 0 weapons?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Been dicking around with Berytos, and I'm having serious doubts about pretender design. Going heavy vampires and dompushing seems a good idea, so I'm using a D6 B4 Dom9 awake Master Lich, to summon Vampire Lords. It also helps with expansion either as a pseudo-SC (awe and fear) against easy indies or supporting my expansion armies. My best attempts have used Order 3, :siren:Misf 2, Drain 3.:siren: I think I have some production thrown in there for poo poo and giggles.

Plan is to beeline Blood 7. Darkness and the Air and Earth buffs work well with Vampires, too. Flaming Arrows is naturally castable, and so is Wind Guide, so that's another objective.

How hosed up will I be with those 2 scales? I haven't seen anything too terrible, but I fear it will bite me in the rear end eventualy. Research is okay-ish with Dwarven Hammers, Owl Quills, cheap dudes and focusing on blood as a multi-purpose tool instead of spreading research.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Rev up that storm demon summoning factory. Or sheddim summoning if you somehow find a wasteland.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014

Fat Samurai posted:

Been dicking around with Berytos, and I'm having serious doubts about pretender design. Going heavy vampires and dompushing seems a good idea, so I'm using a D6 B4 Dom9 awake Master Lich, to summon Vampire Lords. It also helps with expansion either as a pseudo-SC (awe and fear) against easy indies or supporting my expansion armies. My best attempts have used Order 3, :siren:Misf 2, Drain 3.:siren: I think I have some production thrown in there for poo poo and giggles.

Plan is to beeline Blood 7. Darkness and the Air and Earth buffs work well with Vampires, too. Flaming Arrows is naturally castable, and so is Wind Guide, so that's another objective.

How hosed up will I be with those 2 scales? I haven't seen anything too terrible, but I fear it will bite me in the rear end eventualy. Research is okay-ish with Dwarven Hammers, Owl Quills, cheap dudes and focusing on blood as a multi-purpose tool instead of spreading research.
Drain + Misfortune = gem loss events, if you keep gems on commanders instead of labs you can't lose them this way. But if you lose a commander = bye bye gems.

You plan to beeline for Blood 7. WIth Drain 3.This is the definition of anti-synergistic.

I guess going strong in order will get you more mages thanks to more money, but does the Lich actually have to be awake? Will more prod scales + dormant/imprisoned be better?
I would actually consider checking if dormancy + pumping out more units thanks to more production gets you better expansion, if I recall correctly Berytos has pretty good expansion troops. I doubt making the lich awake is better, the lich is a midgame powerhouse, not the best of awake expanders imo.

Blood 7 is a veeeery lategame plan and you should not plan primarily for this. You mentioned Ench4, Alt-4,const02 as research goals before getting to Blood7, with Drain3 this will take a long while. What does your lich do for you with these paths? What will you do if you run into W9N9 jaguar warriors/vanhere on turn 24. What will you do if you run into N9E9 giants on turn 24. Planning for vampires might be fun, but be warned it will take you a freaking long time before then, think what also helps you survive till you get there. Does the 150 points of awakeness outweigh 3 scales?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

If you keep your gems on your commanders and mages it'll be mostly fine.

Your research as Berytos is never going to be bad between being able to forge pretty much every booster and having mages with innate research bonuses.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
If you are Burritos and you start next to dubbless elves or mictlan and they bumrush you you just lose the game. Burritos just doesn't have any tools to deal with a strong bless rush which is why they're generally considered to be sub par as EA is the age of bless rushing.

M_Bison
Mar 15, 2014
I subbed in for Hinnom in a game. A couple of turns later I got molested by tribless Vanheim (N9E9W9). I tried using Earth Meld/Mind Burn/False Fetters, but I couldn't really even kill his vanjarls, it was depressing how fast I crumbled. He already had an attack on me pre-planned so I just died. Good luck killing 100 of those vanhere chucklefucks.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Vanheres are a hard counter to giants for the most part. Mirror image, high def, and berserking dual wielders are all things I'd want against a giant nation. Sailing and the stealth part of Glamour don't help either.

Indep shortbows + Flaming Arrows is probably the best counter Hinnom has available in a straight fight. Not within the usual Hinnom research paths though, which would be something like Conj 3 -> Alt 4 -> Const

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

M_Bison posted:

Drain + Misfortune = gem loss events

They're not that common. I've only seen them once and I semi-regularly take that combo. :shrug:

• Locked thread