Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
I've been offered a job in Whittier, AK, a tiny town of a couple of hundred people way out in the hinterland. It has a couple of peculiarities; there is one giant brutalist building that nearly everyone in town lives in and which contains the city hall, police dept, grocery store, etc. The other weird thing is that Whittier is only accessible by land through one of the longest combined rail-car tunnels in existence, which is frequently closed in the winter for months at a time due to snow.

The pluses are that I love the outdoors and Whittier offers great hiking and kayaking, whale-watching, bird-watching, you name it; the other plus is that I'm a huge Arctic history buff and it would be a good jumping-off point to start exploring areas I've only read about.

My biggest worry is whether Amazon Prime ships there. :( Any Alaska goons have knowledge of the Whittier area?

edit: Whittier

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
I can't come up with a Whittier response. :(

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
That one building sounds cool as all hell. The two buildings, Buckner and Begich Towers look wonderful. Just don't go into Buckner Building. If I'm reading correctly it's full of asbestos and pictures indicate that the interior is falling to pieces.

Wouldn't the best place to learn about Amazon Prime be Amazon itself? I'd be more concerned about the internet and electricity situation.

• Locked thread